• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia Connect 4/28 9am PT

Arkam

I hear ya
I just think nVidia is going to etch themselves a good cut into the market considering they can just make their own hardware. Even sell VDI's off their web site now

Now just to find a protocol or codec that can be neatly compressed for HD...

I would agree that Nvidia is in a better situation than some, worse than others. I remember their GDC talk about the service about....what 3 years ago. They outlined their strategy (same as PS/MS/Stadia/etc) to put the rendering HW in Data centers and then refresh as needed. (They may have outline a refresh cadence).

MS/PS (and maybe Stadia) do this, BUT they are linked to a console platform that (so far) are fairly static for years at a time, with one mid gen refresh. So thus PS/MS only have to design and deploy a new sled every 3-4 years. Nvidia will have to do it much more frequently as their angle is "Max settings" so they have to update every other year.

Of course on the flip side their sleds can be much more useful in dark time utilization vs a PS Now/Xcloud sled that is just a modified version of the console.

I honestly think the smart money for Nvidia would be a to partner with Amazon for a service. AWS is great but you they too would need to design HW... why not take advantage of the position Nvidia is in and get a deal (ala Nintendo picking up them Tegra chips)

Last edited:
Top Bottom