• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia launch dev: Game makers are worried “Google is just going to cancel it”

Kdad

Google has a long and well-documented history of launching new services only to shut them down a few months or years later. And with the launch of Stadia imminent, one launch game developer has acknowledged the prevalence of concerns about that history among her fellow developers while also downplaying their seriousness in light of Stadia's potential.

"The biggest complaint most developers have with Stadia is the fear is Google is just going to cancel it," Gwen Frey, developer of Stadia launch puzzle game Kine, told GamesIndustry.biz in recently published comments.

Streaming may be inevitable but it's not going to replace traditional console gaming. The fact is, gamers will continue to buy games digitally and download them even with faster internet, no matter how many times Google fans argue the convenience of services like Stadia. It's not going to be convenient when it goes offline.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why google didnt go the subscription streaming route. I also fear that "buying" games for the stadia may leave me with absolutely nothing to show for it a few years down the road.

Stadia is definitely not for the collector like me, moreso the customer that looks at games as disposable entertainment. I still play atari and nes games though and I simply dont see that longevity in the stadia.

Sucks. Those pretty graphics sure are tempting.

Ar¢tos

I guess all the hardware used for Stadia can easily be reused for other services, so Google won't lose very much from shutting it down (a few millions are pennies for Google...).

Dizzan

MINI Member
I'm not sure why google didnt go the subscription streaming route. I also fear that "buying" games for the stadia may leave me with absolutely nothing to show for it a few years down the road.

Stadia is definitely not for the collector like me, moreso the customer that looks at games as disposable entertainment. I still play atari and nes games though and I simply dont see that longevity in the stadia.

Sucks. Those pretty graphics sure are tempting.

I agree. Stadia is not for you. It is for me. A very casual gamer who has limited gaming time. I barely have time to play new releases let alone old games and back catalogue. The convenience is too hard to pass up. In saying that, the subscription model would have been better and let's see if it even works as promised. The good thing is, the price of entry is cheap. Will give it a crack.

Last edited:

Sophist

Google seems to be quite serious about Stadia, they engineered a whole set of custom hardware (controller, cpu, gpu, network chipset, ...)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, of course that's a worry. Google is committed to not committing to unprofitable ventures.

Fbh

That's why I don't understand why they didn't go with a subscription.

Who wouldn't worry about buying full priced games for an online only service run by a company known for shutting down services after they don't meet their expectations.

iconmaster

Banned
It’ll get sunsetted. Only question is how quickly.

Worth perusing:

Last edited:

Kawika

I don't want to shit on the guy but the track record of Phil Harrison attached to badly launched video game products is 2/2 the past two gens. His involvement is just an extra layer of my fear of google pulling the plug. Having his nice calm English accent telling you its going to be great lulls you into a false sense of trust, this should trigger your Lizard brain into realizing what exactly is going on behind the scenes.

nkarafo

Well, they don't have to make ports or exclusives for it, it's not a game system with it's own hardware, it will use PC ports. It's not like they will waste time and money working on it, so i don't know what they are worried about. It doesn't make any difference for them if it lives or dies.

Last edited:
I agree. Stadia is not for you. It is for me. A very casual gamer who has limited gaming time. I barely have time to play new releases let alone old games and back catalogue. The convenience is too hard to pass up. In saying that, the subscription model would have been better and let's see if it even works as promised. The good thing is, the price of entry is cheap. Will give it a crack.
Go for it, man! When you post reactions, be sure to list where you live (generally) and your isp. I wanna know specifics when it comes to stadia as to whether or not it works where I live. I'm not sold against it, just very...apprehensive considering I'd still have to pay full price for games.

Who knows, maybe theyll have crazy steam sales all the time and I'll bite the bullet.

Either way, I hope stadia works out for you!!!

Last edited:

FranXico

"The biggest complaint most developers have with Stadia is the fear is Google is just going to cancel it," Gwen Frey, developer of Stadia launch puzzle game Kine, told GamesIndustry.biz in recently published comments.
tenor.gif

Ouya 2.0 incoming?

They bumped up the release for the Atari VCS?

Wait...that's actually an insult to the Ouya. Didn't think I'd ever say that one day, but here we are.

Anyway, I don't see Stadia making any impact. Too much bad news, not enough infrastructure around (particularly in the U.S) to support reliable bandwidth speeds to the population, and a kinda shitty business model. It's DOA.

oagboghi2

Google should have released next-gen hardware that is similar to the PS5/SCARLETT, and had stadia streaming as a service. from day one People would be far more likely to believe they are real competition if their was a solid physical product out there, along with a strong marketing push.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Go for it, man! When you post reactions, be sure to list where you live (generally) and your isp. I wanna know specifics when it comes to stadia as to whether or not it works where I live. I'm not sold against it, just very...apprehensive considering I'd still have to pay full price for games.

Who knows, maybe theyll have crazy steam sales all the time and I'll bite the bullet.

Either way, I hope stadia works out for you!!!

I'm in Australia so I get to sit back and see how it performs in other regions before biting.

Hoping it performs well. I have pretty good internet speeds despite living in Australia which is notorious for shit speeds.

Stuart360

I cant believe this is almost out and i see no hype or people talking about it or anyhting online or in the real world. I mean i expect this to flop long term, but i still expected a little bit of hype and excitement over it, even if for me i hate streaming.

Top Bottom