• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia launch dev: Game makers are worried “Google is just going to cancel it”

Shmunter

The big advantage Google has is its ability to market this thing and make it super accessible. Search for game ABC and a play now button gets attached to the result. View a let’s play YouTube, there’s that button again.

this gives them the best chance possible. If it fails with this, then there is no hope. See what happens.

Barakov

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well, given google's history of outright cancelling things on a whim, they should be right to be worried. I still think this thing will just be a memory in six months.

stranno

Any word about RDR2 in the AMA?

I have seen that "some" games will be 4K@30FPS for "artistic" reasons, broadcasted at 4K@60FPS, doubling the framerate (for some reason). Is RDR2 one of those artistic/cinematic games?

Any word about RDR2 in the AMA?

I have seen that "some" games will be 4K@30FPS for "artistic" reasons, broadcasted at 4K@60FPS, doubling the framerate (for some reason). Is RDR2 one of those artistic/cinematic games?
No they did not answer that question, I am very interested to see how it performs, since so many people complain about the PC versions having to fiddle with settings all day (like a real pc gamer lol), easily running it over the 30FPS we were stuck with on consoles would be one of the first compelling use cases IMO.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Remember Google Video? Sucked so much in comparison of YouTube that they bought the company just to tap on their own back

It's gonna happen the same with Stadia

Nydius

I can't say I blame them for the trepidation. It also doesn't help that Google's team feels like they're flying by the seat of their pants to get this thing launched, as today's AMA illustrated. That wouldn't inspire much confidence if I were considering putting my products on the platform.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Only way people will buy into this is if Google throws boat loads of cash at it to the point they're so heavily invested that they can't just up and walk away.
When Microsoft entered the console market they had to buy their way to level ground with Sony and Nintendo too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shifty

Entertaining twitter thread:

That's a mighty fine trash fire. Mighty fine.

iu

Kdad

Remember Google Video? Sucked so much in comparison of YouTube that they bought the company just to tap on their own back

It's gonna happen the same with Stadia

So Google is going to buy someone for the streaming?

h0ghead

This is the dumbest business model I've ever seen. I was checking it out because I want to play Samurai Shodown on PC, and it's still only on consoles. Apparently you have to subscribe to the service in ORDER TO BUY the games you want to play. They say there will be a free option next year, but my god is that incredibly niggardly.

Their marketing slogan should be:

"It's OK to play Stadia"

Get people talking, you know, wondering what it could mean. I still think it's shit though.

Marketing is terrible. No ads anywhere. No billboards. No gaming stations in stores. No big launch game. No magazine covers. No coverage on big gaming sites. All my enthusiasm is gone

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Marketing is terrible. No ads anywhere. No billboards. No gaming stations in stores. No big launch game. No magazine covers. No coverage on big gaming sites. All my enthusiasm is gone
Chances are that they don't care if works or not

nemiroff

Gold Member
Anyway, I can't wait until we start seeing exclusives...................

Nuke from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

Amory

I pre-ordered one of the founder's kits within an hour of when they became available. But last night after that AMA, 5 days before it was supposed to arrive, I finally canceled it.

I debated for a long while whether or not to cancel, because I have a fast enough internet connection to play in 4k 60fps HDR, I don't have any data caps through my ISP, the price of admission is affordable, and frankly I just like unboxing and playing around with new tech. But this launch is an embarrassment. Literally everything they promised during their unveil won't be included to start. Not to mention that awful game lineup.

I mean, fuck, people who already own Chromecast Ultras won't even be able to use them for Stadia streaming at launch. Google doesn't deserve anyone's money at this point. Let them prove some sort of dedication to the product first.

xrnzaaas

For me it feels like Google is already not putting too much faith in this project. They're one of the wealthiest companies in the world, if they wanted it to look like they're serious with Stadia they could've gone all in with awesome free games, free trial periods and a launch lineup that offers more than a laughable 12 games. Current consoles are very cheap, there are already services like Game Pass that offer awesome value, it's not like people have a proper incentive to take interest in Stadia (and to take a gamble that their library may be gone if Google decides to close it).

Last edited:

Amory

TBH I somehow kind of forgot that people originally expected Stadia to be a Netflix all-you-can-eat type of model, since Google confirmed early on that that wouldn't be the case.

But if you look at that launch list, even if you charitably included all of the rest of the games they're promising by the end of the year, would you pay $10 a month for unlimited access to all of it? When you consider all of the other promised features won't be ready for launch?

I don't think I would. And when you think about it that way, the actual model looks completely absurd.

Gargus

Banned
All that's coming out I want is playstation 5. Not interested in any game streaming service, not even from Google. So I dont care if they cancel it or not.

Hissing Sid

You’d have to be at table pounding, spittle flecked Fuhrer-bunker levels of delusion and denial to think that this shit was ever going to fly based on the current pricing model.

Last edited:
With the recent awful news via the Reddit AMA, it makes me wonder why they're rushing this out missing so many features and not just waiting on the launch date until it's actually ready. No achievements because no UI? A host of things promised to Founders missing with "in the future" release dates?

This is bad marketing and awful for Google. It's honestly not worth the bad press to launch Stadia so incomplete with such glaring holes.

Streaming is not going to be good enough - just like motion controls, 3D VR, power glove etc.

The tech exists but isn't good enough. And frankly I dont think people give a hoot. I like my console.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Google has a long and well-documented history of launching new services only to shut them down a few months or years later. And with the launch of Stadia imminent, one launch game developer has acknowledged the prevalence of concerns about that history among her fellow developers while also downplaying their seriousness in light of Stadia's potential.

"The biggest complaint most developers have with Stadia is the fear is Google is just going to cancel it," Gwen Frey, developer of Stadia launch puzzle game Kine, told GamesIndustry.biz in recently published comments.

Bad idea of google Stadia launch a month payment + Internet + game only to play it. If was like a Netflix the story will be other.

Nydius

You’d have to be at table pounding, spittle flecked Fuhrer-bunker levels of delusion and denial to think that this shit was ever going to fly based on the current pricing model.

Don't forget the technical hurdles as well. There's a whole lot of consumers in North America who are constrained by 1-2TB data caps. Even Verizon FiOS' "unlimited service" has a hidden data cap of 4TB; If you eclipse that repeatedly they send you a nasty gram telling you to knock it off or they'll terminate your service.

From info dumps, we know that Stadia's settings have three bandwidth usage options: The highest which will take up to 20GB/hr for 4k streaming, a dynamic one that adjusts bandwidth usage and performance based on game and network, and a minimum 'bandwidth saving' setting which limits you to 720p and consumes 4.5GB/hr. If you're one of the many with a 1-2TB data cap imposed by your ISP, Stadia's bandwidth requirements make the service uneconomical. Verizon's 4TB cap would be easy to reach, especially if you add Stadia to a household where you're already relying on video streaming services.

That's just looking at the issue of data caps. There's a whole lot of other technical issues which can result in a mediocre to poor experience but Google's just acting like they're no big deal.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
So we've seen the launch games. Have we heard how much they're charging for the games? I'm curious since, while new to Stadia, many of these games have been available on PS4/Xbox for under $20.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Brutally honest article over at The Verge kind of summarizing the whole situation.

Thanks for the link, that's a good recap of what's going on.

Hopefully a rocky launch window won't just make Google chuck this in the bin right away.

I have better hopes for MS Project Xcloud and the whole streaming your xbox to other devices than Google Stadia. MS Xbox division have really been sticking to their other stuff for a while I expect them to stick with xcloud for a while.

daveonezero

Banned
I pre-ordered one of the founder's kits within an hour of when they became available. But last night after that AMA, 5 days before it was supposed to arrive, I finally canceled it.

I debated for a long while whether or not to cancel, because I have a fast enough internet connection to play in 4k 60fps HDR, I don't have any data caps through my ISP, the price of admission is affordable, and frankly I just like unboxing and playing around with new tech. But this launch is an embarrassment. Literally everything they promised during their unveil won't be included to start. Not to mention that awful game lineup.

I mean, fuck, people who already own Chromecast Ultras won't even be able to use them for Stadia streaming at launch. Google doesn't deserve anyone's money at this point. Let them prove some sort of dedication to the product first.
Yeah I almost forgot I had one too. I'm not sure what do to with it. I thought it would have shipped by now. I figured I'd just get a Chrome Ultra and a high quality controller but I'll just cancel and get an 8bitdo.

Last edited:

Amory

My friend's wife works for Google (specifically she works on Android) and I mentioned Stadia to her last weekend, how launch was coming up.

She originally wasn't sure what I was talking about and I had to expand on it and she goes "oh right, that!"

Obviously it's a huge company with many divisions, but I thought it was funny and maybe a bit telling.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I can't wait to be in the middle of playing a game and then it suddenly pauses and I get to see an ad.

NickFire

I think we're maybe 5 days out from launch, and there's still extremely limited (if any) information on how well this will work in the average consumer's home as opposed to in ideal (or likely ideal) conditions. So yeah, I'd be worried about how viable this is long term if I were investing in porting games to it.

Grinchy

Banned
The idea that you could be in the mood for a new game, watch some youtube trailers, and bam, you find one you want, and now all you have to do is click Play....that's a cool idea!

But the reality is you pay a monthly fee to continue getting access to your single player games and then there's input lag and video compression that wouldn't be there on a real console. And in the long run, it's not even a money-saving measure.

You think $10/month now is better than a $500 console up front. For many people it will seem that way. But here we are in the 6th year of this generation. If you kept Stadia for 6 years (and they never raised that sub price) then you've given them $720 plus the cost of the controller and chromebook or whatever the hardware route will be going forward. That's the cost of accessing the games you are paying for.

If Google is so awful, why do they at any one time have 1 million job applicants for 20K open positions, and the Google interview process is legendary for how impossible it is to pass it.

Lanrutcon

If Google is so awful, why do they at any one time have 1 million job applicants for 20K open positions, and the Google interview process is legendary for how impossible it is to pass it.

If McDonalds is so awful, why do they have 28,000 restaurants and 210,000 employees?

Or Wallmart.

Or Foxconn.

Amory

This doesnt have anything to do with whether Google is a good place to work...

Top Bottom