• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia - Official Launch Trailer

Gerdav

Should probably report that to ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) in the UK and whatever the local variants are around the world, they clearly lied by saying it does 4K resolution and it has all the games you are looking for, if that’s not false advertising then I don’t what is.

MiguelItUp

The previews from numerous outlets didn't sound so hot. I'm looking forward to see user reviews and footage, lol.

A lot of people complained about the lag and time delay. Didn't see that comin' huh?!

Zimmy68

It's funny. It is launch day and 1 PM Eastern Time and I haven't seen a single user review for Stadia.
There have been pics that showed people getting the hardware but no actual comments about gameplay.
So either Google is sending codes after the fact or people just like staring at boxed.
Check /r/Stadia.
It blows my mind.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Can imagine a great party at Google tonight with Phil and Jade thanking the masses for their hard work and some nice canapes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So here's what irks me more than I think it probably should about Stadia:

All the marketing for Stadia, and all the supporters saying "you won't need to buy a console" as one of the key selling points of the service - and here it is on launch day and you can't even sign up for Stadia Pro (give them money) or buy games (give them money) unless you buy previously bought a hardware package directly from Google for $129. Let's pretend I wanted to just play this on my PC in my Chrome browser (like the Assassin's Creed demo) and wanted to give Google $60 to play Red Dead 2. I literally have everything I need to make this happen, credit card in hand, and Google's like "nope sorry".

I understand that, supposedly, it won't always be this way. But I'm literally their target audience (Youtube Premium subscriber, spend lots of cash on games on the Play Store, buy most of my TV through Google Play, have an Android phone and Android TV box) and they still want me to buy their stupid Chromecast Ultra (which I would never use) and controller (which I would never use) to have the OPPORTUNITY to buy games from them at full price and stream them?

Shit's stupid. Fuck these guys.

Vawn

Banned
So here's what irks me more than I think it probably should about Stadia:

All the marketing for Stadia, and all the supporters saying "you won't need to buy a console" as one of the key selling points of the service - and here it is on launch day and you can't even sign up for Stadia Pro (give them money) or buy games (give them money) unless you buy previously bought a hardware package directly from Google for $129. Let's pretend I wanted to just play this on my PC in my Chrome browser (like the Assassin's Creed demo) and wanted to give Google $60 to play Red Dead 2. I literally have everything I need to make this happen, credit card in hand, and Google's like "nope sorry".

I understand that, supposedly, it won't always be this way. But I'm literally their target audience (Youtube Premium subscriber, spend lots of cash on games on the Play Store, buy most of my TV through Google Play, have an Android phone and Android TV box) and they still want me to buy their stupid Chromecast Ultra (which I would never use) and controller (which I would never use) to have the OPPORTUNITY to buy games from them at full price and stream them?

Shit's stupid. Fuck these guys.

Yeah, eventually that'll change, but that's currently the case. People are currently waiting for a box to arrive in the mail so they can try this "gaming without a box".

Google seems so out of touch with what gamers want, I can't see this succeeding. But, then again, I can't understand the appeal of the most successful mobile games either. We may just be the wrong audience.

Puskas

7rHtBLT.jpg

So, much, soy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, eventually that'll change, but that's currently the case. People are currently waiting for a box to arrive in the mail so they can try this "gaming without a box".

Google seems so out of touch with what gamers want, I can't see this succeeding. But, then again, I can't understand the appeal of the most successful mobile games either. We may just be the wrong audience.
I've got a friend that's got a laptop and a cell phone, but no TV. He's been excited for Stadia since it was first announced. He's also pretty pissed that Google wants him to buy a Chromecast Ultra + controller bundle (which he also would never use, as he doesn't have a TV or anything in his home with HDMI it could even plug into). He was also upset when they announced it'd only work on Pixel phones.

He's a pretty well off guy and could totally afford a TV + game console if he really wanted one, he just doesn't like "having things" which is why he was looking really hard at Stadia. So when he found out this was still tied to hardware until a nebulous "sometime next year", he bought a Switch Lite instead.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know who exactly this is aimed at for it's big launch. Nobody I know.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Unthink the things you think are things... because you'll never buy into Stadia if you don't.

That launch trailer gets credit for being funny, so it'll stick. Reggie Watts was a great choice.

Vawn

Banned
I've got a friend that's got a laptop and a cell phone, but no TV. He's been excited for Stadia since it was first announced. He's also pretty pissed that Google wants him to buy a Chromecast Ultra + controller bundle (which he also would never use, as he doesn't have a TV or anything in his home with HDMI it could even plug into). He was also upset when they announced it'd only work on Pixel phones.

He's a pretty well off guy and could totally afford a TV + game console if he really wanted one, he just doesn't like "having things" which is why he was looking really hard at Stadia. So when he found out this was still tied to hardware until a nebulous "sometime next year", he bought a Switch Lite instead.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know who exactly this is aimed at for it's big launch. Nobody I know.

Your friend sounds like a hippie wierdo.

jshackles

Your friend sounds like a hippie wierdo.
He is. But if that launch video can't appeal to hipster weirdos, wouldn't you agree that their entire brand messaging is off?

Breakage

It's like a goofy advert straight out of the ’90s. Google's supposed to know everything, yet it seems horribly out of touch.

HeresJohnny

Well, crap, now I want Stadia. Because anything that douche says, must be wrong.
True. It's like reverse advertising. When a cunt like Schreier condemns it, all I wanna do it buy it. Schreier could lambast a shit sandwich and I'd be in line ordering two.

The idea is a bit fanatical for a trailer, but the point is you can take your games or imagination anywhere you go.

I wish they would be a bit more clear when they convey information. So many false news stories about Stadia are spreading around the internet. Then you have situations like Eurogamer being caught running Stadia on a 2012 HP Pavillion saying there are issues with the service, abysmal.

jshackles

The idea is a bit fanatical for a trailer, but the point is you can take your games or imagination anywhere you go.

I wish they would be a bit more clear when they convey information. So many false news stories about Stadia are spreading around the internet. Then you have situations like Eurogamer being caught running Stadia on a 2012 HP Pavillion saying there are issues with the service, abysmal.
U6FqQXTZiJ8G4oUBU7-iREHHfJ8JPqroBw_cpUOibko.jpg

Vawn

Banned

You can take your imagination anywhere!?!? For only $10 a month plus $60 per imagining???

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Better than paying $300 for a console and paying $50 a month for a service that only gives you two free games a month.

What service is $50 a month?
Game Pass is that same $10 Stadia charges for I don't know what and has HUNDREDS of great games including DAY 1 on exclusives and no $60 per imagining - AND with vastly better graphics and no input lag. Sound likea better deal to me.

Top Bottom