• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia Will Need a Smartphone to Work

JLB

Banned
Stadia is like the turd floating in the bathroom shitter ,it just sits there getting smellier by the minute, nobody wants to look at it but eventually it’s gonna get flushed down the toilet.

scatological beauty.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
wtf lol.

i have a pixel phone but cmon. this is bullshit. hope it fails miserably because that's what they deserve.

Hinedorf

Banned
I would love for there to be another gaming alternative, is Google trolling themselves with this bad publicity and lack of legit launch information?!

GV82

I’m pretty sure Nvidia Shield still give free steam keys when you buy games from their service, geforcenow (or they used to) that’s kinda like two copies or if not anymore you get to cloud play a lot of your steam games you already own anyway.

Why anyone thought that Stadia would be better than a Shield I never know, especially when you can put dolphin on a Shield and play (some) Wii/GameCube games on it too and should cloud gaming fail it’s still a media box and a good emulators box up to ppsspp. Plex and Kodi box too.

Last edited:

ViolentP

I doubt that the Chromecast work with only select smartphones.....right?

I've set up a Chromecast with both an iPhone and an Android phone. I'm assuming that since the Chromecast will be needed at launch, this is what they are referring to. Unless I've missed something in this story.

You do? I thought you just need a browser regardless of platform (pc/phone)
I, glad I stuck with my fire stick

If so, Google doesn't rightfully promote the option in my experiences.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I'm confused. Do you need this specific phone to stream games to your phone, or must you have it to stream to anything, including your tv?

I assume the former, but that wouldn't explain the outrage, as I'm sure most people will be streaming to TVs, PCs or laptops.

zeorhymer

I've set up a Chromecast with both an iPhone and an Android phone. I'm assuming that since the Chromecast will be needed at launch, this is what they are referring to. Unless I've missed something in this story.
In the OP post:

"But, what's more strange is the fact that the service will only be compatible with some Pixel smartphones at launch, greatly reducing the market that the service could reach when it arrives, on November 19."

Dane

Outfuckingstanding, xCloud in preview is more capable than this and even PSnow which is PS4/PC only can be considered a better option.

Not only that, the 4K feature and stuff is only for Chromecast Ultra.

Last edited:

Stuart360

NextScaredDuckling-size_restricted.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo Online has some of the greatest games ever made on it.
Lol no. NES and SNES games are good, (and i'm using that word especially loosely with the NES games) but there are some of the greatest games ever made on other consoles, which NSO simply doesn't have. Look at the crazy game selection on the Wii u's virtual console, god forbid i even compare this to the original wii's VC....

marquimvfs

I'm confused. Do you need this specific phone to stream games to your phone, or must you have it to stream to anything, including your tv?

I assume the former, but that wouldn't explain the outrage, as I'm sure most people will be streaming to TVs, PCs or laptops.
According to the source, it will need a Pixel phone to work at launch, coming to other phones at a later date. But there's a possibility that the source misunderstood the Reddit posts and the ONLY thing that will depend on a Pixel is the ability to stream games TO phones.

Fbh

That has to be some sort of mistranslation or misunderstanding, it's too stupid to be true.
Could it maybe be that at launch you'll only be able to play Stadia on those Pixel phones but you can use any Smartphone to buy games and set up other devices?

If it will really launch as an exclusive for Only pixel phones they can go ahead and cancel the whole thing now

Last edited:

ViolentP

In the OP post:

"But, what's more strange is the fact that the service will only be compatible with some Pixel smartphones at launch, greatly reducing the market that the service could reach when it arrives, on November 19."

I'm not talking about usage. The subject of discussion is regarding the setup which is what I am directly addressing. My understanding is that at launch it will be certain phones and Chromecasts that support Stadia. Also, to setup a Chromecast, you will need a smartphone which is the current truth.

Unless I am missing something, I am reading this story as saying you will need a smartphone to set up your Chromecast.

Vawn

Banned
According to the source, it will need a Pixel phone to work at launch, coming to other phones at a later date. But there's a possibility that the source misunderstood the Reddit posts and the ONLY thing that will depend on a Pixel is the ability to stream games TO phones.

Yeah, it has to be. They could not possible have sold all those units and then later said "by the way, that is worthless unless you happen to own a Pixel phone".

I think Stadia looks crappy too, but people seem to be making stuff up here to stir up extra controversy.

marquimvfs

I'm not talking about usage. The subject of discussion is regarding the setup which is what I am directly addressing. My understanding is that at launch it will be certain phones and Chromecasts that support Stadia. Also, to setup a Chromecast, you will need a smartphone which is the current truth.

Unless I am missing something, I am reading this story as saying you will need a smartphone to set up your Chromecast.
The source claim exactly that, but beyond, a phone is needed everytime you want to buy a game. It's also claimed that the ONLY phone that will be able to setup Stadia and buy games at launch is the Pixel ones. But that could be a misunderstood from the Eurogamer Portugal.

ViolentP

The source claim exactly that, but beyond, a phone is needed everytime you want to buy a game. It's also claimed that the ONLY phone that will be able to setup Stadia and buy games at launch is the Pixel ones. But that could be a misunderstood from the Eurogamer Portugal.

I hear ya. Frankly, nothing will surprise me when it comes to news about Stadia. I just don't want to read into something that may not be there. Any distaste (or appreciation) I have I want to be warranted.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

To me, the way it's worded with the picture is that you need a smartphone to set up Stadia and that only certain phones will work to set it up.

Grinchy

Banned
Wouldn't they be in some serious trouble if a bunch of Founder's Edition buyers find out on day 1 that they have can't use it because they don't own a Pixel?

ViolentP

To me, the way it's worded with the picture is that you need a smartphone to set up Stadia and that only certain phones will work to set it up.

Possible but only if there is a setup requirement that is not simply a Chromecast setup. That already works on all smartphones.

I sincerely hope this turns out better than it's been shaping up to be. It's easy to point fingers when you think you have everything figured out, but I'd rather not see people get taken for a ride. If this fizzles out like a lot of Google's previous short-lived experiments I know at least a couple people that have filled their houses with Google everything that will be negatively affected by it. It's easy to say "I told you so" and stamp a laughing emoji or some animated gif on the internet, but I actually like these people and it's going to feel bad when I rub their stupid faces in this shit-show they've bought into.

Top Bottom