• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stand and be counted: SEGA Mega Drive or SEGA Genesis?

Which name kicks more ass?

• Team Mega Drive

Votes: 129 57.8%
  • Team Genesis

Votes: 94 42.2%

• Total voters

cireza

First SEGA game I ever saw was this, I was in the USA back then, 1992 I think.
Game was displayed on a TV, and below in display, you could see the cartridge with the giant Robotnik crushing the 2. 7 years old me was amazed.

21565_front.jpg

Back in France, I lost track of the Genesis, but got a Master System. I was the happiest kid in the world. It had Sonic built in.

Some time later, I witnessed this beauty running Sonic the Hedgehog 1, in the house of a friend of my older sister. I was blown away.

1280px-Sega_Mega_Drive_PAL_1024x1024.jpg
sonic-the-hedgehog-megadrive-pal-euro-occasion-etat-b.jpg

Most beautiful console ever. I actually found Green Hill Zone prettier than Emerald Hill Zone.

But still, it wasn't the day for me to get a Mega Drive. This day only arrived when this pack released late 1994 :

208.jpg

And honestly, Sonic & Knuckles managed to blew my expectations even more. I found the game much better and much more impressive than the first two games.

Ever since, I loved the Mega Drive and played a ton of fantastic games on it.

Last edited:

Banned
Mega Drive vs. Super Nintendo

that just sounds way cooler, MEGA vs SUPER

there were games on SNES like SUPER Turrican, and there are games on MD like MEGA Turrican...
you can't use Genesis as an add-on to your game's name... fucking boring ass name.

also MEGA CD sounds way cooler than the boring ass NA variant the Sega CD.... like... what?

MegaDrive was also the original name and it was changed for the US, so the US name is an afterthought too

Mega Drive therefore is the objectively superior name!

Last edited:

cireza

What benefits did the mega drive 2 offer over the mega drive 1
Nothing special. Mega Drive II lost the jack plug as well as the volume button that came with it.

In France, RGB was slightly butchered in the SCART cable coming with the Mega Drive II. This can be easily fixed though. Mega Drive I had a SCART cable with a small box in it, the picture quality was excellent. Same as the Master System.

wondermega

This has always been difficult for me (you have no idea how complicated my life is, overall). Way back when they first started reporting on the Mega Drive in EGM or whatever, it looked amazing and the name sounded super cool. I was disappointed with the rename, but there were too many other pros about the system overall to get hung up on the name change. Besides, at least the name didn't sound as ridiculous as it's current direct competitor "TurboGrafx-16" (a console which I love of course, up to and including the name, but only because it's representative of a time period and funny in that way, never really could take it very seriously and at the time which sounded kind of lame or out-of-touch). So when they finally announced Genesis I was pretty onboard and it stuck with me. In hindsight, I'll always feel that Megadrive is still the "cooler" name and I wish they had stuck with it, but I'll never be able to remove the nostalgia and will always refer to my Sega Genesis as such because it IS A SEGA GENESIS.

Banned
Mega Drive obviously.

And the logo was much nicer too.

sega-mega-drive.svg

sega-genesis-icon.png
to be fair tho, that's the European logo of the MegaDrive

here's the japanese one, which I don't like personally

Uh2TMmr.png

I like the stylized katakana (メガドライブ) text at the bottom, but that "MD" logo just looks absolutely awful

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The choice is between the superior original name or some Americanised name that didn’t need to exist, and didn’t when it came to Europe.

This site is USA heavy so the poll will be overwhelmed by Cleetus’ family, but those of us with posh accents and bad teeth, or the metric system on the continent, or the land of the rising sun and ageing population know the truth.

Now I’m conflicted. But it just shows Europe got it right. Robotnik and Mega Drive.

Shame we also chose PAL and 50hz, that didn't really work out for games.
American agreeing with this. It's the MegaDrive. However, some things sound better than their Japanese name (for example: Matsushita is Panasonic).

Top Bottom