• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stand and be counted: SEGA Mega Drive or SEGA Genesis?

Which name kicks more ass?

• Team Mega Drive

Votes: 129 57.8%
  • Team Genesis

Votes: 94 42.2%

• Total voters

Shantae

Banned
tumblr_olt45twmEG1rn7420o1_1280.jpg

Mega Drive is a far better name for a cool 90's game console, that doesn't share it's name with dorky things like bible verses and Phil Collins' band.

Also saying 'Snez' makes way more sense to call a console that has a perfectly good acronym, than to spell it out as S - N - E - S like a total dweeb.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The choice is between the superior original name or some Americanised name that didn’t need to exist, and didn’t when it came to Europe.

This site is USA heavy so the poll will be overwhelmed by Cleetus’ family, but those of us with posh accents and bad teeth, or the metric system on the continent, or the land of the rising sun and ageing population know the truth.

That's like saying Dr. Eggman is a better name then Dr. Robotnik because it was always that in Japanese.
Now I’m conflicted. But it just shows Europe got it right. Robotnik and Mega Drive.

Shame we also chose PAL and 50hz, that didn't really work out for games.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Megadrive had a better logo so
Also genesis is a shitty prog rock band

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Mega Drive is a far better name for a cool 90's game console, that doesn't share it's name with dorky things like bible verses and Phil Collins' band.

Also saying 'Snez' makes way more sense to call a console that has a perfectly good acronym, than to spell it out as S - N - E - S like a total dweeb.

Team MegaDrive is winning:messenger_bicep::messenger_winking_tongue:

I remember when we saw some cartirdges and consoles named (Genesis) later in the console life cycle we thought those are fake duplicates and most people used to avoid them as much as possible.:lollipop_tears_of_joy:

TheGrat1

Mega Drive - The best name for a console ever !. You could always rely on America in the 80's and early 90's to name and make a console look far worse from their Japanese versions on which it was based until SONY changed that
Yeah, no.
The Family Computer looked like and had the name of a toy.
Nintendo-Famicom-Console-Set-FL.jpg

Nintendo Entertainment System was considerably more badass in both departments.
NES-Console-Set.jpg

As a kid i always liked the door for the NES' cartridge bay and wondered why other consoles did not copy it. Just shoving the cartridge in the top always felt tacky on comparison.

At least the Super Famicom was a step up in the looks department, but the name still sucked.

SirTerry-T

They turned the sleek, cool sounding Megadrive into a prog rock tribute console and turned the "SNEZ" into a Parma violet sponsored minger of a machine. Bad America, bad...don't do it again (slaps wrist).
mHi6iVO.jpg

8VAh4pq.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, no.

NES-Console-Set.jpg

As a kid i always liked the door for the NES' cartridge bay and wondered why other consoles did not copy it. Just shoving the cartridge in the top always felt tacky on comparison.

At least the Super Famicom was a step up in the looks department, but the name still sucked.

I also prefer the US/Europe NES design. It was so 80's in terms design sensibilities, the Delorean of console design. Even has the top hinge flap the way the doors on that car did!

NeonDelta

Even if I didn't live in UK I think I would prefer the name Mega Drive.

First console I owned, asked for a SNES but the Mega Drive games were £10 cheaper so that's what my Mum and Dad bought me.

Remember getting a Japanese version of Mortal Kombat from a mobile games renting guy which was a different shape, had to get it out with a knife as it got stuck.

Wonder Mega beats that too :)
Yeah, no.

NES-Console-Set.jpg

The NES looked liked a Breezeblock *rollseyes*

RetroAV

Love both names, but count me in for Team Genesis. It was the beginning of a new generation of consoles and a new beginning for Sega to rethink their approach (as far as philosophy and strategy go) in taking on Nintendo's 90%+ control of the market at the time. This wasn't the same Sega that got their asses handed to them with the Master System, this was the Genesis of a NEW, bad-ass, kick-ass, and edgy SEGA!

Birdo

Banned
It was called the Mega Drive where I live. So it's the Mega Drive for me.

In fact, it was only called the Genesis in North America. Just like how they were the only ones to get that ugly SNES shell.

Tiamat2san

That's like saying Dr. Eggman is a better name then Dr. Robotnik because it was always that in Japanese.
Well, I prefer eggman.
And the first name characters had in their fist version of the game.
Like Bulleta > BB Hood , Zabel > lord raptor in Vampire/darkstalker.
M. Bison is the boxer in Street fighter 2.
If I play FFVI it’s Tina, not Terra.

Back in the day, I played mostly Japanese games on Japanese consoles maybe that’s why I’m thinking like this.

BlackTron

Genesis was an appropriate name as the system marked the beginning of Sega's rise to power in the console market. The dawn of a new age...

Unfortunately, it also marked the end. Maybe it should have been called something like Zenith, indicating the highest point of the brand too?

If we're going with biblical inspiration, perhaps Saturn could have been the Sega Exodus.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Genesis was an appropriate name as the system marked the beginning of Sega's rise to power in the console market. The dawn of a new age...

Unfortunately, it also marked the end. Maybe it should have been called something like Zenith, indicating the highest point of the brand too?

If we're going with biblical inspiration, perhaps Saturn could have been the Sega Exodus.
That's funny I was only allowed to play my Genesis on my 22 (I think?) inch Zenith TV.

osAQwOz.jpg

Rayderism

To me, back then, I thought Mega Drive made no sense as it was a cartridge system. The SegaCD should have been the "Mega Drive", but no, they called that the Mega CD.

JordanN

Banned
Yeah, no.

NES-Console-Set.jpg

Fun fact: the Famicom controller actually came with a microphone (look at the docked controller).

So it was actually superior because you could kill enemies with it in Zelda.

WdtGrJV.gif

lock2k

Banned
Mega Drive.

It's the original name, therefore, it's the official one.

Genesis is Phil Collins and co.

Holammer

Megadrive sounds like a badass scifi propulsion engine, Genesis like something a marketing hack fraud would come up with.
Also, the US SNES is fugly.

Top Bottom