• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen at gamescom 2015 - presentation livestream 8pm CEST Friday Aug 7

Denton

You'll mostly be on military capital ships and bases during the single-player campaign (Squadron 42) like Wing Commander games not named Privateer.

That ArcCorp environment you just saw is for the Privateer-like open universe portion of Star Citizen.

Hmmm, would be weird not to use it in singleplayer, we'll see.

I am glad they are doing first/third perspective unified. Only other game that does it is ArmA series and I love it.

FPS reminds me of Arma in close quarters combat and not in a great way. Arma's model is great for open/long distance engagements but falls apart a bit in close quarters, because nuanced movement is far more important.

Still early, though--I like the concept of fidelity to the character model ala Arma and GTA V but don't know how well it works in closer engagements.

bj00rn_

Banned
Even if it's a sci-fi game I'm not a fan of typical game-like building and room architecture where almost nothing makes practical sense.

Zalusithix

You make it sound like it's something absolutely normal that it doesn't even have some cheap FXAA at this point.

Then again, the stream isn't the best quality.

No, I don't find features missing in a non-final engine that's being used in a game that's in alpha being anything that's a deal breaker.

tuxfool

Banned
FPS reminds me of Arma in close quarters combat and not in a great way. Arma's model is great for open/long distance engagements but falls apart a bit in close quarters, because nuanced movement is far more important.

Still early, though--I like the concept of fidelity to the character model ala Arma and GTA V but don't know how well it works in closer engagements.

This sort of model is far better for things like VR. Most other FPSes would completely break in VR. This is beyond the other advantages they already mentioned.

Grief.exe

So FPS and Social Modules due in August?

To be honest, part of me wonders how this type of module release schedule impacts total development. Having to pull a large percentage of employees to iron out individual pieces for release has to be taxing.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

To be honest, part of me wonders how this type of module release schedule impacts total development. Having to pull a large percentage of employees to iron out individual pieces for release has to be taxing.

FPS "end of next month, hopefully"

Social due this month, though, yes

Denton

Dan Vavra was asked about this in a recent interview, with them releasing playable alphas of Kingdom Come, how much does it detract from development. He said that yeah, it takes some extra time, but actually it can save time longer term because it forces you to actually bunker down and do the work that you would have to do eventually anyway. Plus you get useful feedback.

Top Bottom