• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Livestream | Today @ 9PM CEST / 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT

injurai

Banned
I really think this game is going to be one of the most special games man has ever produced. What a feat. It's coming together just wonderfully.

XPE

My only real small complaint about the demo was we went from a barren planet to a barren moon. I was hoping they would show off some of the planets from the gaming mag shots.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
My only real small complaint about the demo was we went from a barren planet to a barren moon. I was hoping they would show off some of the planets from the gaming mag shots.

Wouldn't most planets/moons be barren though? That is just the reality of planets as we know them.

Xtars

is there any capture of the demo without the awful interlacing? It really detracts from the cool stuff shown.

RK9039

I'm so glad this game exists.

is there any capture of the demo without the awful interlacing? It really detracts from the cool stuff shown.

I don't think so, all the videos are from the stream. Soon there will be plenty of footage anyway when 3.0 comes out.

SmartBase

Still not convinced that using simple heightmaps to generate planet terrain is the way to go but everything else looked like it was pushing the envelope quite nicely.

RK9039

How long as this game been in development? When will this game be released?

untitledl5b8n.jpg

I'm so glad this game exists.

This is the main reason I continue to back with $$$ even if there is a small chance the title will never come out.

No one else is making my perfect space simulation.

• Space combat
  • Multicrew ships
  • FPS combat
  • Persistent universe
  • Bad ass aliens (Vanduul)
  • Single player campaign

If someone else were making a title that covered all of this I'd pay less attention to Chris Roberts and his team.

No Man Sky isn't the answer.

The next Mass Effect, though good...isn't the answer.

Cloud Imperium Games is all we've got.

Zalusithix

Not sure what you're referring to with that, but to my knowledge they haven't shown off any procedurally generated planets that weren't barren. I've seen concept art for ones that weren't, however this wasn't about showing intent but instead about what they've already achieved.

tuxfool

Banned
Not sure what you're referring to with that, but to my knowledge they haven't shown off any procedurally generated planets that weren't barren. I've seen concept art for ones that weren't, however this wasn't about showing intent but instead about what they've already achieved.

the pcgames shots contained some grainy screenshots of planets with water. They have also talked about their tools to build vegetation.

RK9039

They're going to show version 2 planets in October anyway, maybe we'll get to see more detailed planets then. What they showed of planets yesterday was pretty amazing by itself.

Didn't they also show planets with vegetation in one of their trailers ages ago? hopefully it looks like that.

ed: At the end of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJ9TcGxhNY Too dark though.

Grief.exe

For years this has been going on.

Star Citizen thread 2013
GAF: Yo this shit is a scam
Greif: These things take time

Star Citizen thread 2014
Grief: These things take time

Star Citizen thread 2015

Star Citizen Thread 2016
GAF: When is this shit coming to Scorpio?

It would help out my sanity immensely, if we had a game development 101 and business 101 for people when they sign up for GAF

RK9039

Star Citizen thread 2013
Greif: These things take time

Star Citizen thread 2014

Star Citizen thread 2015

Star Citizen Thread 2016
GAF: When is this shit coming to Scorpio?

Lmao, so true. I've seen it a lot on youtube comments and twitch chat. From "scam" to "When's Neo version?"

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wow, that Gamescom demo looked really impressive. I always believed in this game if only because of its huge budget, huge team, and accessible demos. Unlike some other games, Star Citizen has been pretty transparent, and its goals aren't out of reach given its team and budget size.

Dalibor68

Banned
Graphically, technically and in terms of scope and scale this demo looks amazing. However everything still looks very lifeless and the enemy NPC behaviour seemed off as well. Hope they'll improve upon that.

Grief.exe

Getting around to watching this demo now.

Do they have the capability to procedurally generate this entire planet, including the station on the surface? The station seems like it was custom made.

golem

Do they have the capability to procedurally generate this entire planet, including the station on the surface? The station seems like it was custom made.

Points of interest such as landing zones are hand crafted

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Set up QoS on your router and it'll never happen regardless of what you do.

HTTP download stopped working and then you need to re-download again so that sucks.

Reverted back to torrent and updated the _TorrenSettings file.

active_seeds = 2
active_downloads = 8
unchoke_slots_limit = 8
active_limit = 40
connections_limit = 80
connection_speed = 480
max_peerlist_size = 100

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ydry5/star_citizen_launcher_kills_whole_internet/

injurai

Banned

This is basically some of my friends. They laughed at me when I said I thought No Man's Sky looked bad. They kept telling me that Star Civilian game that I'm looking forward to is an over-promising mess.

I'll get the last laugh yet.

No. The stations are all going to be hand-crafted. Trying to do high-fidelity stations where each one feels unique and alive with procedural generation is not something they are investing in because they prefer the more hands-on approach where each one can get some custom work where needed. That's why they aren't going for a billion star systems like Elite or NMS because they want to have a fewer number of systems (100-ish) but they all actually feel unique and interesting instead of variations on a template.

Nokterian

The amount of detail and going through the atmosphere and even landing on a planet went so damn smooth. More impressive seeing a ship on the other side when someone is inside at the bar for example.

I can't wait to play all of this.

Par Score

About 3 and a half since the kickstarter in late 2012. 4 this autumn. It's not all that out there for game dev cycle lengths yet, but it'll probably be a few more years until it's done.

This has a GTA level budget now, and those things have 5 years between entries and nobody blinks.

Shit takes time.

For some reason, I just don't understand this game - I don't mean it's concept, or what it's about - I mean the way that you purchase it.

If you go to the official website, there are different modules to purchase and some of the packages are extremely, ridiculously expensive - with one being $15,000 in actual money!

So how does this work, do I have to get all the modules to have a complete game?

That's what I'm not understanding about the game - so if I don't have Space Marine installed as a module, I won't be able to engage in fps battles during the main mode of the game? I'm not even sure what the main mode is or what it's even called.

Can someone shed some light on this?

injurai

Banned
For some reason, I just don't understand this game - I don't mean it's concept, or what it's about - I mean the way that you purchase it.

If you go to the official website, there's different modules to purchase and some of the packages are extremely, ridiculously expensive - with one being $15,000 in actual money!

So how does this work, do I have to get all the modules to have a complete game?

That's what I'm not understanding about the game - so if I dont have Space Marine installed as a module, I won't be able to engage in fps battles during the main mode of the game? I'm not even sure what the main mode is or what it's even called.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Those are all backer rewards. You basically buy the ship with the intent on supporting development and you get Life Time Insurance on it. You will have your ships use day 1, and actually throughout the alpha and beta as well.

For everyone else. You buy your $60 game. You complete the campaign. After retiring from the military you buy your entry level ship. Just how you pick out your first car in Gran Turismo. Then you earn money and buy your ships in game.

Those are all backer rewards. You basically buy the ship with the intent on supporting development and you get Life Time Insurance on it. You will have your ships use day 1, and actually throughout the alpha and beta as well.

For everyone else. You buy your $60 game. You complete the campaign. After retiring from the military you buy your entry level ship. Just how you pick out your first car in Gran Turismo. Then you earn money and buy your ships in game.

But what are the modules - test/early access type things? Will the finished game have all of it rolled into one, $60 game?

injurai

Banned
But what are the modules - test/early access type things? Will the finished game have all of it rolled into one, $60 game?

Some of those are verticle slices meant to alpha testing, demoing, and get backer feedback. Others are more gameplay systems and features being worked on by other teams. But they are all components that will be integrated into the seamless persistent world by release.

Zalusithix

There's only two things. Star Citizen (the MMO) and Squadron 42 (the single player campaign). You either get a package that has one, the other, or both. The concept of modules to buy is dead.

For more details on the Star Citizen side of ship sales, I made a somewhat comprehensive summation here. Keep in mind all ships will be obtainable in game with even a base package. There is no need to get a high end package. It's just a means to support development of the game.

Just started watching this and already blown away. Recently built a new PC so looking for games to play. Also, I love scifi. If I wanted to get into this would the starter pack be the best option? Is there a consensus between the ship options or do they not make much difference? I am aware this is still in development but fully on board with showing my support

KKRT00

Just started watching this and already blown away. Recently built a new PC so looking for games to play. Also, I love scifi. If I wanted to get into this would the starter pack be the best option? Is there a consensus between the ship options or do they not make much difference? I am aware this is still in development but fully on board with showing my support

Just buy 60$ starting package to have both S42 and Star Citizen. What ship you take doesnt matter, though Aurora is more versatile.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Finally watched the whole thing(Youtube "direct feed") and impressive as expected. Can't wait till official release in 2020+. This is gonna be one sexy ass space game...soo good!

RCSI

Landing on planets will be possible with 3.0 Alpha.
There will be planets with vegetation and creatures, maybe not in 3.0 Alpha, but definitely at the beginning of the next year. They are working on biomes right now and they will showcase them on CitizenCon in October. They are aiming at Crysis 3 fidelity in terms of planetary visuals.

I'm curious, where have they stated this aim?

Downloading the starter package now. Looking forward to seeing how it runs on my i56600k, GTX 1070. Although from my little knowledge, currently framerate is affected by the server load.

Edit: I am also aware the demo isn't a version available yet

Top Bottom