• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Aylinato

I wanna play this game soooooo bad

I am confused on how you pay/obtain the game

I know it's 30 (as per OP) but exactly how do yyou start (I did read OP, but a quicker explanation will help me)

Zabojnik

I know it's 30 (as per OP) but exactly how do yyou start (I did read OP, but a quicker explanation will help me)

Not sure what you mean exactly. You'll start the game by joining the military (Squadron 42 single player / co-op campaign), which will earn you citizenship and leave you with enough credits to be able to afford a basic ship and venture into the multiplayer universe. Or you could skip the story portion of the game entirely and start out in the 'verse with nothing. You'll need to earn some money to buy your first ship, which you'll do by flying missions for other people / NPCs.

Qassim

Finally got round to this. Runs at a solid 60 with some occasions where it drops to 55 or so when getting in the ship but it comes back to normal after @ max settings and at 1080p.

It is working my 780 hard though, don't hear the fans ramp up this much often.

I didn't expect much but it got me a little more exciting.

Grief.exe

Game will not be released for a long time.

The next modules to look forward to is dogfighting (multiplayer), singleplayer, and planetside. Check the OP for release dates and more information.

Sentenza

Game will not be released for a long time.

The next modules to look forward to is dogfighting (multiplayer), singleplayer
Well, considering how multiplayer dogfight and the single player campaign are pretty much all I care about, that's good enough for me.

GKB

First, you buy a pledge from the RSI website, after that you wait.
As others have said the game will not be released for a long time. In the meantime, the dev will slowly release modules which you can play.

But, keep in mind that the modules are not the final game. So it will be buggy.

CzarTim

But, keep in mind that the modules are not the final game. So it will be buggy.

buggytmlek.gif

FACE

Banned
I think they should do another sale and livestream event, they'd probably reach 21 million in a few days.

Zabojnik

I think they should do another sale and livestream event, they'd probably reach 21 million in a few days.

Pretty sure they plan on doing several more, although they might limit future livestream events to 12 hours instead of 24. As they should, imo. Roberts barely made it through the last time, lol.

CTLance

I predict my EVE subscription will come to a sudden and violent halt when Star Citizen releases.

SC, new GPU, consumer Rift model. See you in a few centuries when my PC stops working because electricity has been replaced by hyperspace microwave quantum whatchamacallit delivery.

Daedardus

Reading the official forums it is interesting to see how much is outsourced on the back-end side. I guess many game companies do it nowadays and it does make some sense. Better to let someone else do the job instead of doing it horribly yourself. But it's still strange to see that they are so open with it.

Mindlog

The persistent universe for me.

That portion alone just seems like the ultimate game.
Mods for me.
I would happily more than double my pledge for a Free Allegiance port guarantee.

Free Allegiance in CryEngine just seems like the ultimate game.
I would not be surprised if the 3 remaining brochures (Hornet, Freelancer, Constellation) can do it all by themselves before the end of the year.

That's a lot of money.

Zabojnik

Another $500k mark crossed. Aw yisss.

I'm liking what they've done with the forums. Still needs some work / features, but it'll get there.

Rommel

I'm going to CitizenCon!

Hey there,

Just a heads up you have an exclusive VIP invitation to our very 1st Citizen Con in Austin TX.

The event will be held on Thursday evening October 10, 2013 with complimentary drinks, food and a fun screening of Chris' Wing Commander Movie at the Alamo Drafthouse.

All of the CIG staff will be there as well as others who have made Star Citizen possible thus far.

As the capacity is small we can only offer you a plus one guest.

We hope that you can join us on the night. Please let us know by the end of this week if you might be able to join as we need to finalize our guest list.

Best,
Chelsea & Sandi

Mindlog

The event will be held on Thursday evening October 10, 2013 with complimentary drinks, food and a fun screening of Chris' Wing Commander Movie at the Alamo Drafthouse.

That's one of my favorite things ever. It must be nice for them that funding has turned out this way. They have already crunched a few times to get stuff out , but they can take a little time every now and then to keep the staff and players (investors) happy.

Take pictures!

Daedardus

Mods, ban this troll. Mumei pls.

You need a SC avatar, Daedarus. :)

I'm at least keeping my expectations in check. But on a more serious note, I think they may do the Hornet/Freelander commercial + brochure. I want some concept art for new ships too. Show me more Origin.

And I'm not using an avatar until I find one that perfectly fits my needs. And I'm extremely picky.

Not as exciting as million dollar increments but Star Citizen has breached 250,000 backers. The second highest crowdfunding attempt in terms of backers (as far as I can tell) is the Veronica Mars movie kickstarter at 90,000.

edit - actually the 250k could just be registered users and not backers. Not 100% sure on that.

Daedardus

Not as exciting as million dollar increments but Star Citizen has breached 250,000 backers. The second highest crowdfunding attempt in terms of backers (as far as I can tell) is the Veronica Mars movie kickstarter at 90,000.

edit - actually the 250k could just be registered users and not backers. Not 100% sure on that.

Most likely backers, seeing as that would put the average pledge at 75 dollars. I doubt the average pledge is way higher than that.

Daedardus

Well I just passed the threshold for Space Marshall lol...

Well, they could still be only registered members, but then again I think the average pledge won't be much higher. Yes, you have quite a few pledgers like you who don't know what to do with their precious money and just throws it at fictitious spaceships while the goal of the game is actually earning them by playing.
bit of sarcasm of course :)
But I think the majority just pledge for Scout/Mercenary and maybe the 300i pledge. The popularity of the scout may be why alpha acces is still widely available while backer total is quite high.

Daedardus

One more day till $19,000,000!

We need a Guinness mention! Although they can't probably keep up with the amount growing each day.

MrBig

Another hour or so until $19 million?
21k Alpha slots left. Elvenshae at Penny Arcade has an outstanding summary of what packages are available. With a few exceptions I don't plan on flipping when 10k or fewer slots are left.

I'm interested to see what the post $20m stretch goals will be. Thus far they've just been turning base game features into carrots on a stick, and throwing in a couple extra trinkets to reward backers specifically. Perhaps they'll start announcing post-release content

Have they mentioned anything about Eve style " safe zones " in Star Citizen? I really hope not. I think Eve would be a much more controlled atmosphere if it were not for magic police cruisers out there that can kill you in a single shot even if your in a suped up T2 BS.

I would rather the players learn to police themselves in a way. It would make for groups building their own security squadrons and the like. bounty hunters, people patrolling and protecting entire sectors of space, etc. Should be enough people in the world to pull it off.

If not, just have the ability for players to hire NPC wingmen or there be police around bases and gates, but not super powerful. Standard ships like the rest of us ....

MrBig

There will be UEE military police in UEE space. No details beyond that. Remember that this is a sort of immersive sim experience, the universe will have a progressive/dynamic story arc involving the UEE and the other species, affecting player interaction

Grief.exe

Have they mentioned anything about Eve style " safe zones " in Star Citizen? I really hope not. I think Eve would be a much more controlled atmosphere if it were not for magic police cruisers out there that can kill you in a single shot even if your in a suped up T2 BS.

I would rather the players learn to police themselves in a way. It would make for groups building their own security squadrons and the like. bounty hunters, people patrolling and protecting entire sectors of space, etc. Should be enough people in the world to pull it off.

If not, just have the ability for players to hire NPC wingmen or there be police around bases and gates, but not super powerful. Standard ships like the rest of us ....

I believe there is.

The insurance references areas of various danger, that would imply there is an area of no danger to the player.

I remember reading about the UEE force patrolling around in certain sectors.

NPC police are fine, as long as they are not invincible.

I think even in safe zones there should be an element of danger and the unknown. A pirate raid on a major market hub should be met with resistance by the regular community simply because of how important a loss would be. Those kinds of possibilities would make things more interesting. I expected NPC police, i just hope they are not the ever powerful band that they are in Eve. Thats just my personal opinion on that matter.

I learned from Eve that as long as the combat is fun and engaging, even simple tasks like patrolling space can become an epic struggle for survival and something you remember for years.

Harlock

I am just a little worried about the game completion, because even only the hangar mode seems very little optimized. Just imagine flying out in space with other ships around.

MrBig

I am just a little worried about the game completion, because even only the hangar mode seems very little optimized. Just imagine flying out in space with other ships around.

Why doesn't it run well on my machine?
This is an extremely early preview of the game. There is no optimization work done to it. Optimization is one of the last steps in constructing a game because it depends on a relatively stable platform to optimize upon, and SC currently very well before that point. While performance will get better over time, do not expect a well optimized game until 2015, but then the game is targeting running well on the hardware to be released in 2015 and is overall being designed to push the boundaries of PC hardware, not pursuing simply the biggest audience.

Top Bottom