• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over $600 Million Later, Scam Citizen Is Now at the Alpha 3.20 Stage

Star Citizen’s long-running development has inched forward yet again, this time to the Alpha 3.20 stage.

The latest update, dubbed “Fully Loaded”, overhauls the Arena Commander mode, adds new PvP modes, maps, and racetracks, and adds new missions and ships to the Persistent Universe portion of the space sim.

This is the largest update to Arena Commander since its introduction in 2014, developer Cloud Imperium Games said, and delivers “more focused, bite-sized gameplay with diverse content for racers, fighters, and competitors climbing the leaderboards”.
The update also adds the MISC Hull C ship, the “titan of the cargo hauling profession with room for a crew of up to four players”, and the Fury LX, a racing variant of the recently added Mirai Fury snub fighter. New features include automatic cargo loading and unloading at space stations to support the Hull C’s expansive cargo capacity.

The launch trailer bigs up Star Citizen’s exploration, saying players can travel “seamlessly across worlds”. As you’d expect, fans have taken that as CIG making a point of comparison between its game and Bethesda’s recently released Starfield, which does not feature seamless space travel.

screenshot-2023-09-20-162404-1695224401112.png

Star Citizen crowdfunding began back in 2012 and now, over a decade later, is considered one of the most controversial projects in all video games. Over the years Star Citizen has been called many things, including a scam by those who wonder whether it will ever properly launch. Its virtual space ships, some of which cost hundreds of dollars, are often the focus of criticism. (The MISC Hull C added with the Alpha 3.20 update costs an eye-watering $500).
What cannot be denied is the huge amount of money so far raised by Star Citizen, which developer Cloud Imperium Games displays on its website. At the time of this article’s publication, Star Citizen had raised $604,183,210 from just over 4.8 million backers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
More than half way to $1 billion. Amazing, surprising, unbelievable and insane all at the same time.

It's like the funding is ramping up again. You would had thought the money would start slow, then ramp up, then peter out.

But it just keeps going up no stopping.

UnNamed

Banned
At this point, I really want to know if you can actually do something interesting in this game, like some combats, quests, etc, so there is a "game" even if incomplete, or you still have an explorable but empty world with nothing to do.

I.... spent 250€s on this game.... i´m part of the problem. But i had a lot of fun with it. So i´m ok with the cash i spent.
You’re confused, you couldn’t have had fun because the game isn’t released and is a scam. You must be thinking about the 250 you spent on loot boxes and battle passes in a real video game. Your “fun” was all an illusion, the space ships never even existed.

LakeOf9

We have that one clown who always makes excuses for these games in this thread, right? Wonder if he'll come here to run defense again

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Still more next-gen than... I won't say it.

Honestly. Who is actually investing in this? And why do people keep investing in this ?
Launderers.

There has been a large uptick in praise for ScamCitizen on this forum ever since another space-setting RPG released a few weeks back. Perhaps a few people took that praise to heart and donated recently.
You got it all figured out, champ.

Last edited:
You’re confused, you couldn’t have had fun because the game isn’t released and is a scam. You must be thinking about the 250 you spent on loot boxes and battle passes in a real video game. Your “fun” was all an illusion, the space ships never even existed.
I’m pretty sure you can play. Lot of the streamers where playing it earlier this year if I remember right

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So what is the minimum buy in on this. Gotta be honest, all the articles about this make me want to at least give it a try if it is cheap enough for the absolute basics.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
What a waste! We got Starfield the best simulation and game to ever exist! Just ask Todd and Phil!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Alpha stage. Then there's beta stage. Then release. So even if a final release does come out (doubtful), it'll probably be like 2030 considering how long t takes them to do things.

Comandr

It is undeniable that the game LOOKS great. I pledged $100 ten years ago and that got me access to SC and the single player campaign (lol) Squadron 42. Since then, I've played the game a ton by myself, with friends. Exploring around, stealing peoples ships, doing missions, dogfighting, racing... I've had a lot of fun over the years and I don't feel like for the equivalent of $10 a year I've been scammed.

The game is only $45 to buy into today, and there's hundreds of hours of content to explore already. Ships can be purchased with in-game money, no need to purchase anything with real cash. I don't see what the fuss is about.

From Business of Apps:

Genshin Impact annual in-app revenue 2020 to 2022 ($bn)​

YearRevenue ($bn)

From Game World Observer:

In-game purchases accounted for 65% of Take-Two’s annual revenue of $3.5 billion​

The people in this thread screaming SCAM as loud as they can just seem out of touch. Doubly so because I guarantee most of them haven't even played the fuckin game. People spending money on in app purchases is nothing new. In today's world of GAAS, who gets to define when a game is "finished?"

Are you ever going to be able to buy a box copy of Overwatch 2 with everything in it? No.

What about the fuckin Sims 4? Do you know how much that game costs for all the DLC? Over $1100. Now that's a scam. And they've already announced more is on the way and will continue for years.

With games like Fire Emblem Heroes, FF7 Ever Crisis, NBA 2k, and so many others designed to fomo the shit out of you until you cough up tons of money... I don't see why Star Citizen in particular always gets the bad rap.

The fact of the matter is, for $45 you can play hundreds of hours of Star Citizen right now and never pay anything else in the game and still do everything there is to do.

It is undeniable that the game LOOKS great. I pledged $100 ten years ago and that got me access to SC and the single player campaign (lol) Squadron 42. Since then, I've played the game a ton by myself, with friends. Exploring around, stealing peoples ships, doing missions, dogfighting, racing... I've had a lot of fun over the years and I don't feel like for the equivalent of $10 a year I've been scammed.

The game is only $45 to buy into today, and there's hundreds of hours of content to explore already. Ships can be purchased with in-game money, no need to purchase anything with real cash. I don't see what the fuss is about.

From Business of Apps:

Genshin Impact annual in-app revenue 2020 to 2022 ($bn)​

YearRevenue ($bn)

From Game World Observer:

In-game purchases accounted for 65% of Take-Two’s annual revenue of $3.5 billion​

The people in this thread screaming SCAM as loud as they can just seem out of touch. Doubly so because I guarantee most of them haven't even played the fuckin game. People spending money on in app purchases is nothing new. In today's world of GAAS, who gets to define when a game is "finished?"

Are you ever going to be able to buy a box copy of Overwatch 2 with everything in it? No.

What about the fuckin Sims 4? Do you know how much that game costs for all the DLC? Over $1100. Now that's a scam. And they've already announced more is on the way and will continue for years.

With games like Fire Emblem Heroes, FF7 Ever Crisis, NBA 2k, and so many others designed to fomo the shit out of you until you cough up tons of money... I don't see why Star Citizen in particular always gets the bad rap.

The fact of the matter is, for $45 you can play hundreds of hours of Star Citizen right now and never pay anything else in the game and still do everything there is to do.

Nice to hear from an OG backer through to today, glad you're having fun with it. I'll jump in eventually, next PC upgrade I think.

One has to ask, if there is all that to do these days then why is SC still in alpha? Bundle up and get a 1.0 release then treat it as a GaaS. This idea that alpha/beta etc are for the open public is just a shady tactic instead of lining up a release and sustain.

Ginzeen

Banned
It's crazy how some people still defend this game. Over a decade of game development with over 600 million raised and still no release date in sight.

Comandr

One has to ask, if there is all that to do these days then why is SC still in alpha? Bundle up and get a 1.0 release then treat it as a GaaS. This idea that alpha/beta etc are for the open public is just a shady tactic instead of lining up a release and sustain.
It’s funny.. when No Man’s Sky or Elite Dangerous came out- somewhat feature lacking, people just accepted them for what they were. Maybe they were good. Maybe they were bad. But they were what they were. Then they continued to develop over years and the praise kept coming in and now No Man’s Sky is revered as god’s gift to man.

I feel like this is a public perception thing. Chris Roberts is something of a perfectionist. By releasing the game now, without meeting his vision for what he wants the game to be, could be construed as defeat.

Not to mention every gaffer and journalist on earth will descend on him like mass produced EVAs ready to rip him and the game to shreds over failing to meet expectations after everything.

Generally speaking people have an understanding that a game in “alpha” means it’s not anywhere close to being done.

I think Chris wants to release a product that meets his expectations as the ultimate space sim, and I think that’s possible.

One reason for so many delays is the fact they had to create a lot of the tools they are using from scratch. Twelve years ago the planet size procedural generation just didn’t exist. Not to mention the game was built in CryEngine 3 which was NOT meant to handle this kind of scope.

Servers being able to handle item persistence in a huge MMO that doesn’t have any loading screens is a completely different challenge in itself.

I think people really fail to realize everything that SC is bringing to the table here.

I will admit there has been a tremendous amount of added ships - but these are handled by separate teams. There are over 600 employees working on the game. There are a million jillion videos on their YouTube of developer interviews, you can just watch them work and implement stuff. These people aren’t trying to scam anyone. The work just takes a long time. The game has only been in full big boy development for 9 years. How many years was FF15 in development for? GTA6? Starfield? These things take time.

It’s funny.. when No Man’s Sky or Elite Dangerous came out- somewhat feature lacking, people just accepted them for what they were. Maybe they were good. Maybe they were bad. But they were what they were. Then they continued to develop over years and the praise kept coming in and now No Man’s Sky is revered as god’s gift to man.

I feel like this is a public perception thing. Chris Roberts is something of a perfectionist. By releasing the game now, without meeting his vision for what he wants the game to be, could be construed as defeat.

Not to mention every gaffer and journalist on earth will descend on him like mass produced EVAs ready to rip him and the game to shreds over failing to meet expectations after everything.

Generally speaking people have an understanding that a game in “alpha” means it’s not anywhere close to being done.

I think Chris wants to release a product that meets his expectations as the ultimate space sim, and I think that’s possible.

One reason for so many delays is the fact they had to create a lot of the tools they are using from scratch. Twelve years ago the planet size procedural generation just didn’t exist. Not to mention the game was built in CryEngine 3 which was NOT meant to handle this kind of scope.

Servers being able to handle item persistence in a huge MMO that doesn’t have any loading screens is a completely different challenge in itself.

I think people really fail to realize everything that SC is bringing to the table here.

I will admit there has been a tremendous amount of added ships - but these are handled by separate teams. There are over 600 employees working on the game. There are a million jillion videos on their YouTube of developer interviews, you can just watch them work and implement stuff. These people aren’t trying to scam anyone. The work just takes a long time. The game has only been in full big boy development for 9 years. How many years was FF15 in development for? GTA6? Starfield? These things take time.

I agree with the public perception thing, it's turned into a sales tactic too (generally speaking)...pre-order for open beta access.

I loved the Wing Commander series so I'm happy to check out SC when it's ready. I did look at some of the tech systems and refactoring they've gone through, it's nuts some of the stuff they've developed/redeveloped for no loading and world sharing e.g. just keeping time and orientation. I can see where Starfield short changed a bunch of things to get the game done.

Top Bottom