• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: The Second Story R |OT| Todos los Dias

What average score do you think Star Ocean: The Second Story R will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 71 - 76

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65 or below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shifty1897

When I think about games that lock you out of playable characters by recruiting another, I only remember this and Chrono Cross that do it. I'm sure there's more.

SkylineRKR

Man, can't get over how much I'm enjoying this.

Think of games like

Xenogears
Grandia
Suikoden
Breath of Fire
Saga Frontier

I'm doing some side stuff now like recruiting Opera and stuff. It's been so long that I can't remember the story so I'm staying away from too many spoilers.

This is going to get a solid score from me.

Exactly this remake should set a new bar. There are so many PSX classics that would benefit from this upgrade. Xenogears with these improvements would probably blow my mind. But my number one pick is probably Vagrant Story. That game is in dire need of a remake with better QoL features. Its brilliant and overlooked.

Star Ocean The Second Story R

46 hours

Claude - LV 134
Rena - LV 133
Celine - LV 132
Opera - LV 132

Welch - LV 123
Ernest - LV 116
Precis - LV 117
Dias - LV 119

I've been grinding alot. I'm going to try to grind to 170 to 200 later on today

As for where I'm at. I got a Psynard, now I've been exploring the world. Found Fun City and did all the Duel Battles for each character of mine. I'm gonna to do all the group battles and those survival battles. There's some great rewards. So gonna be grinding alot

I'll be looking to see what else I can do sidequests and minigames wise

Exactly this remake should set a new bar. There are so many PSX classics that would benefit from this upgrade. Xenogears with these improvements would probably blow my mind. But my number one pick is probably Vagrant Story. That game is in dire need of a remake with better QoL features. Its brilliant and overlooked.

Vagrant Story still makes me mad lol. That Final boss was bullshit

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Think if they cleaned up the story on Xenogears.

LiquidMetal14

With a better localization
If you recall the thing with xenogears is it was supposed to be two games. Which is why after a certain point in the story and the classic criticisms on the game about the story being too convoluted or confusing after a certain point clearly show that there was some degree of concessions made to fit that story into what we got. If they just refined it or expanded upon it further, I think that would be a major thing to improve and I would gladly pay whatever money they want for that. It's a great game even though I agree with the whole criticisms about the story.

SkylineRKR

Vagrant Story had some very weird difficulty spikes because its mechanics were very obtuse. Who knew you had to keep slashing training dolls to level affinity with a weapon type? Many players likely don't do damage to the final boss when they first encounter him. But I believe you could raise the Evil stat outside of the very last dungeon, and you can beat everyone by reflecting hits which takes some practice.

They need to change up a lot about this game I think. Enable pre-builds, and possibly rework the affinity thing. But part of the fun for me was its complexity and figuring things out.

If you recall the thing with xenogears is it was supposed to be two games. Which is why after a certain point in the story and the classic criticisms on the game about the story being too convoluted or confusing after a certain point clearly show that there was some degree of concessions made to fit that story into what we got. If they just refined it or expanded upon it further, I think that would be a major thing to improve and I would gladly pay whatever money they want for that. It's a great game even though I agree with the whole criticisms about the story.

I love the story but that game has a ton of issues that needs fixing if they do a HD-2D Remake. Specifically the platforming sections. Those need to be fixed. Remember Tower of Babel?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I love the story but that game has a ton of issues that needs fixing if they do a HD-2D Remake. Specifically the platforming sections. Those need to be fixed. Remember Tower of Babel?
Xenogears is my favorite JRPG of all time but there’s a LOT that would need to change, and I don’t know if there’s any developer I’d trust to do it right. The story was so massive and ambitious, even Squaresoft in their prime couldn’t completely pull it off. They’d need a total gameplay overhaul + total rewrite of the script + flesh out Disc 2 + restore the cut parts of the already massive story.

Second Story R is awesome, but let’s be honest. It’s good because they added a ton of (sorely needed) QoL improvements and gameplay tweaks while not monkeying with things that were good about the original. And they reused the decent Second Evolution script/VA.

At the very least I’d like to see Gemdrops get a couple other remake projects under their belts before they are tasked with The Big One

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Xenogears is my favorite JRPG of all time but there’s a LOT that would need to change, and I don’t know if there’s any developer I’d trust to do it right. The story was so massive and ambitious, even Squaresoft in their prime couldn’t completely pull it off. They’d need a total gameplay overhaul + total rewrite of the script + flesh out Disc 2 + restore the cut parts of the already massive story.

Second Story R is awesome, but let’s be honest. It’s good because they added a ton of (sorely needed) QoL improvements and gameplay tweaks while not monkeying with things that were good about the original. And they reused the decent Second Evolution script/VA.

At the very least I’d like to see Gemdrops get a couple other remake projects under their belts before they are tasked with The Big One
I'll die on the hill thar Star Ocean 2, is the best JRPG ever. It's better than DQV, Breath of Fire 2, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Xenogears, Persona 5. Nothing compares to me. And now it's even better. The gorgeous locations, the engaging and charming party members, the PA system, the depth of creativity using skills now with more richer systems on top, and the best Motoi Sakuraba soundtrack ever...No contest for me.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'll die on the hill thar Star Ocean 2, is the best JRPG ever. It's better than DQV, Breath of Fire 2, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Xenogears, Persona 5. Nothing compares to me. And now it's even better. The gorgeous locations, the engaging and charming party members, the PA system, the depth of creativity using skills now with more richer systems on top, and the best Motoi Sakuraba soundtrack ever...No contest for me.
Better than breath of fire 2?

MOOOOODS!!!!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s hard for me to even compare them. 90s Squaresoft went wild with creativity and experimented with so many different settings + visual styles, and tried to elevate video game storytelling to a new level. Xenogears is the pinnacle of that for me.

Star Ocean is more of an evolution of the old school shounen anime style JRPGs like DQ, Lunar, Breath of Fire, Tales, Grandia etc.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nah Golden Sun(Broken Seal + Lost Age) is better then the games listed. Then again this game looks like it has Golden Sun production value. The sprites and spell effects are beautiful. Love the landscapes. And yes Motoi Sakuraba makes it perfect.

LiquidMetal14

Absolutely. The main things about the story still stand and even if it was just cleaned up to make it easier to understand, but it would be a dream if they actually took the time to expand the locations if they wanted to in order to fill in the gaps because if they redid the translation to try to clean it up, I fear that what what is there. They would have to just expand on scenes and add extra dialogue as it is so anything would be better.

As far as the platforming goes, 100%. That game had this weird floating this when you jumped up and went in different direction. It was weird how the detection worked of how you landed on the platforms and you slid off sometimes or something with the hitbox of the way it would register if you even landed. Of course! Those of us that played it got through it but it was a little tedious back then. And honestly, I don't really remember a lot of reviewers even mentioning that, but now I'm certain that little things like that would be criticized even more these days.

SkylineRKR

The QoL features are excellent. And some people still trying to use ESP, goodie boxes etc... its not needed here. Really, you get showered with materials by just playing, or you just enable Train, Bodyguard and grind out the world map. And max Alchemy early etc. And then make infinite Mithrils and all that. But you also get it by just playing and cash in the missions at the mission screen. Before you know it you have 100k+ of fol, many top tier items and your income will only rise the more you play. You never need to buy weapons anyway, not once you have Customization high enough and have enough higher tier stones (which you can easily create from Irons at high alchemy levels). Then you can go straight to the powerful stuff.

But you can also make goodie boxes with Art, and duplicate them I think. The possibilities are rather endless.

You don't need to grind here, just play, level up your talents and you will be rewarded. I am 17 hours in and I am level 80+ at North City with Book of the Ancients, Pulse Clip, SD UGA etc. Mostly having Scout enabled with Train and bodyguard, running around the world map. For dungeons I flick Scout off. I don't even battle that much in dungeons, as my team will kill approx 50% of spawns. This is what makes SO2R so awesome, you don't even have to fight and you can still become OP. There is also items you can craft that put your EXP at 1 point before level up, and EXP boosters during battle.

At first I thought the bonus board was kind of shit, as it resets when you are suffering a back attack or your evade is wrongly timed. But with a full party, skill links etc I am at 200+ within 10 seconds. You need to be wary of break,damage or balanced properties. I typically link 2 special moves with Break under L, and then damage arts under R. Start with breaker moves, while spells will join the fray. Its a beautiful mayhem.

The only con I have is the 20 item limit. I need to rebuy Irons etc constantly.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But you can also make goodie boxes with Art, and duplicate them I think.
Yes you can make your own boxes, but sadly you can't duplicate them :(

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My only gripe so far is they ruined the Hoffman Ruins dungeon. In the original it felt really mysterious and lived in. There were weird murals on the walls, dormitories, etc. in the remake it’s just a puzzle dungeon.

Jedge

It's clear they put a lot of effort into this remake. Only put 12ish hours in so far but I'm having a blast. I really hope it sells well and we get other classics remade like this.

Needlecrash

So one thing I learned from the remake...

In the OG/2nd Evolution version, when you hit the save point in the final dungeon, you leave the tower and go to Nede City (I think?) and speak to someone that can take you to Virtual Expel, so you can do the Cave of Trials or end game stuff. In the remake, you apparently have to beat the game, reload the save file and have to go to Fun City to get to Virtual Expel. Basically, Virtual Expel in the remake is only reachable post game. Kinda disappointing, but I get it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
So one thing I learned from the remake...

In the OG/2nd Evolution version, when you hit the save point in the final dungeon, you leave the tower and go to Nede City (I think?) and speak to someone that can take you to Virtual Expel, so you can do the Cave of Trials or end game stuff. In the remake, you apparently have to beat the game, reload the save file and have to go to Fun City to get to Virtual Expel. Basically, Virtual Expel in the remake is only reachable post game. Kinda disappointing, but I get it.
?? So does that mean
you have to beat unlimited Indalecio before you can start CoT? That seems impossible unless they drastically altered the difficulty.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

?? So does that mean
you have to beat unlimited Indalecio before you can start CoT? That seems impossible unless they drastically altered the difficulty.

I saw this on YouTube earlier today. But to get more clarification....

To fight Indalecio/Gabriel WITHOUT his limiter, you have to beat the game first. Then, reload the save file, head to Nede City via a PA action and go to City Hall. You'll see a PA with Philia. That's how you can remove Indalecio's/Gabriel's limiter. You don't have to beat Non-Limiter Gabriel/Indalecio to do the Cave of Trials.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I saw this on YouTube earlier today. But to get more clarification....

To fight Indalecio/Gabriel WITHOUT his limiter, you have to beat the game first. Then, reload the save file, head to Nede City via a PA action and go to City Hall. You'll see a PA with Philia. That's how you can remove Indalecio's/Gabriel's limiter. You don't have to beat Non-Limiter Gabriel/Indalecio to do the Cave of Trials.
Ahh okay that doesn’t seem so bad then. Might actually be an improvement since
at least now you can’t inadvertently unlock unlimited Gabriel (gotta get these new names in my head!) and then find yourself incapable of beating him until you clear CoT.

Needlecrash

Ahh okay that doesn’t seem so bad then. Might actually be an improvement since
at least now you can’t inadvertently unlock unlimited Gabriel (gotta get these new names in my head!) and then find yourself incapable of beating him until you clear CoT.
Definitely seems like an improvement for sure. Hoping that we get Blue Sphere honestly. That game came out in 2001 and it just got a completed English translation not too long ago. I play it on and off on my Analouge NT Mini Noir.

SkylineRKR

Its a good solution as many players would stumble upon a boss that was way too powerful and locked them into a grind to 255.

But about
Virtual Expel, kinda disappointing. I missed the Battle Suits. However, its not at all needed to beat the game ofcourse. What I have now is arguably better anyway.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

PSA: The game appears to be selling extremely well (at least on Switch). It has completely sold out at Best Buy, Gamestop and Amazon with Amazon getting more shipments in later this month. It's also been in the top 15 best sellers list on the eshop since launch.

Hopefully this game shows SE that despite the less-than-stellar sales of the last Star Ocean game, there's still interest in the Star Ocean franchise, when they do it right. 🙏

Yes, this game is from a bygone era of strategy guides or trial and error. It has permanent missables. You needed to watch certain Prive Actions, and ignore certain things. All at the correct time, if you venture too far you lose out as well.
Is there a good spoiler-free guide for those missables? I absolutely loathe missing stuff but very rarely I play a game several times :(

PSA: The game appears to be selling extremely well (at least on Switch). It has completely sold out at Best Buy, Gamestop and Amazon with Amazon getting more shipments in later this month. It's also been in the top 15 best sellers list on the eshop since launch.

Hopefully this game shows SE that despite the less-than-stellar sales of the last Star Ocean game, there's still interest in the Star Ocean franchise, when they do it right. 🙏

The only Star Ocean I hated was Star Ocean 5. The Divine Force is fantastic. I'm happy that The Second Story R is selling lot of copies though. I just hope they keep on making new 3D Star Ocean Games

Anyone know how to get Ingredients of Yarma? I'm doing post game and one of the Guild Missions is that I have to use that Ingredient. Looked it up online can't find anything on it

NeoLed

Finished the game

Took me around 60 hours

My main party was around 164 - 165

I'm gonna to start doing the post game, grinding to 255, all the sidequests, PA, etc. Also gonna to do Claude Route

What a fantastic Remake
Can you enlighten me when and where I can get re-creation gem for remaking?

You can steal the Bunny Shoes from the bunny in the starting area in the races section. Afraid of losing friendship points? Just use publication to make books to increase your friendship point in between characters
There is a food created from Master Chef that let you pickpocket without penalty. There is one for contrabanding too

Can you enlighten me when and where I can get re-creation gem for remaking?

There is a food created from Master Chef that let you pickpocket without penalty. There is one for contrabanding too

You can buy re-create gems in Nede stores

As for the food that will let me pickpocket without penalty, is it permanent or temporary effect?

Needlecrash

Okay....can someone answer me this question??

It seems that Claude can get his Phase Gun recharged or fixed. HOW?!?!

Also, something disappointing I found out. I made it to the Laceur continent. But the the cutscene and music when you take ride on the ship was taken out of the remake. That sucks. 😭

Knightime_X

This game is great!
Way better than the original.
Lots of QoL upgrades, some greatly help reduce grinding. Others like magic attacks no longer pause gameplay. its all fast paced now.
Makes it much more enjoyable.

I think it likes other foods buff, 2-3 temporary use
Oh ok

As for Maze of Tribulations

I got through the whole dungeon and got the Silver Trumpet. Took me 2 trys to beat Gabriella Celeste

As for her alter ego Iseria Queen. Giving me much more issues. I might cheese it and give all my party members Bloody armor and keep on using Fairie Healing with Rena

Rena LV 217
Claude LV 219
Celine LV 208
Opera LV 206

Welch LV 193
Dias LV 190
Ernest LV 188
Precis LV 190

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Okay....can someone answer me this question??

It seems that Claude can get his Phase Gun recharged or fixed. HOW?!?!

Also, something disappointing I found out. I made it to the Laceur continent. But the the cutscene and music when you take ride on the ship was taken out of the remake. That sucks. 😭
when the mayor of Centropolis sends you off to do the 4 trials he gives you the recharged phase gun

Anyway I’m really loving this remake. Ernest went from C tier to S+ tier, dude is a beast.

Also have to give props to Gemdrops for keeping the spirit of the old pre-rendered backgrounds. I love how they kept the same zoom/angle/FOV for shots like this:
gzXBHSb.jpg

My favorite part of pre-rendered backgrounds is that every scene is like its own work of art with some framing and composition to it. It would’ve been so lame if they replaced that with a lazy top-down camera for everything.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does the PS4 version have free upgrade(s) to PS5, or are there any differences at all?

GF has shipped me a copy of the PS4 version of the game.

Needlecrash

when the mayor of Centropolis sends you off to do the 4 trials he gives you the recharged phase gun

Anyway I’m really loving this remake. Ernest went from C tier to S+ tier, dude is a beast.

Also have to give props to Gemdrops for keeping the spirit of the old pre-rendered backgrounds. I love how they kept the same zoom/angle/FOV for shots like this:
gzXBHSb.jpg

My favorite part of pre-rendered backgrounds is that every scene is like its own work of art with some framing and composition to it. It would’ve been so lame if they replaced that with a lazy top-down camera for everything.

OH WOW. Did NOT expect that. Good looking out!

Top Bottom