• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: The Second Story R |OT| Todos los Dias

What average score do you think Star Ocean: The Second Story R will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 71 - 76

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65 or below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

HOLY SHIT LOL

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Folks, I'm starting this game tomorrow (hopefully). And I need all of your tips on how to just utterly break the game. Just fucking break the shit out of it and make myself as OP as possible as early as possible.

edit: just to add, I know about a few things like:

- Bodyguard skill
- The 'free form' formation that gives more xp
- Something about a magic box which can can save scum to get end-game weapons at the 2, 3 hour mark.

Any more tips or details like that will be great. I'm just looking to be overpowered as fuck when I play this game.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Folks, I'm starting this game tomorrow (hopefully). And I need all of your tips on how to just utterly break the game. Just fucking break the shit out of it and make myself as OP as possible as early as possible.

edit: just to add, I know about a few things like:

- Bodyguard skill
- The 'free form' formation that gives more xp
- Something about a magic box which can can save scum to get end-game weapons at the 2, 3 hour mark.

Any more tips or details like that will be great. I'm just looking to be overpowered as fuck when I play this game.
You can get Claude’s best weapon Aeterna by customizing the weapon he gets from Gamgee after the arms tournament with mythril to get Sword of Minos, then customize that with mythril again. Used to be nearly impossible to get mythril on disc 1, but now you get 10x mythril as a challenge reward for using customize 100 times…

Have Claude craft ruby to make berserker rings which give you permanent berserk status (double attack power).

HP drain factor on your weapon is OP as hell. As soon as you get Remaking super specialty you can reroll and easily get it on everyone. Use 2x any type of armor + a rune metal for the cheapest way to hit max probability of getting it.

If you have zero shame, combine HP drain with bloody armor to make yourself invincible.

adamsapple

Put the disc on your couch and sit on it.

I do want to play the game :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You can get Claude’s best weapon Aeterna by customizing the weapon he gets from Gamgee after the arms tournament with mythril to get Sword of Minos, then customize that with mythril again. Used to be nearly impossible to get mythril on disc 1, but now you get 10x mythril as a challenge reward for using customize 100 times…

Have Claude craft ruby to make berserker rings which give you permanent berserk status (double attack power).

HP drain factor on your weapon is OP as hell. As soon as you get Remaking super specialty you can reroll and easily get it on everyone. Use 2x any type of armor + a rune metal for the cheapest way to hit max probability of getting it.

If you have zero shame, combine HP drain with bloody armor to make yourself invincible.

Thank you, this is the kind of game-breaking tips I need lol

edit: for the first point, the arena part, does it matter which character I started the game as?

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I do want to play the game :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Thank you, this is the kind of game-breaking tips I need lol

edit: for the first point, the arena part, does it matter which character I started the game as?
Starting char does not matter but you need to get it before leaving town after the tournament. Leave town, it's gone

I'd also level Claude's crafting to at least 4. Buy magic clay to try to create some goodie boxes. 1/3 chance to get crazy good weapons before the Aeterna. Aim for Sword of Marvels, Sorcerer's Knuckles, Silver Rod, Atomic Puncher, Hecaton's Fist, Alpha Chip, Lotus Eaters. All depending on who you recruit. That'll carry you through most of the game.

Bump difficulty to Universe for more XP and money cause you''ll be ripping ass anyway. Use Bogyguard super specialty in Lasgus Mountain to insta kill enemies for 9k to 11k XP.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Man, they could have really put another pass on anti aliasing on this, everything is so shimmery, especially the foliage.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

PSA: First Departure R is $6.29 on PSN until the 18th. Anybody who likes Second Story R should play this.

BlackTron

Switch for me, mostly to be able to play anytime, anywhere, especially at night in bed

Correct answer.

I didn't play this back in the day but I am excited to get around to it now having read up on the game. It's completely overwhelming having this and Mario RPG come out at the same time. In a world where new games usually have some lame achilles heel that turns me off, screw it. Give me more epic 90s remakes running on a hybrid with QoL improvements, please.

FQbTRI6.gif

adamsapple

Loving the art / HD 2D style, but like I said in an earlier post, they should have done at least another pass of AA cause the game shimmers too much.

That and at least use the PS5 to render the game at a higher resolution at least.

On the flip side, if the way my monitor changes refreshes, it does look like this game is running at 120hz.

jIZpdfg.jpg

rJRtLUH.jpg

gjRfwjk.jpg

SkylineRKR

You can break it easier if you craft cheap Rods+Iron over and over until you hit 100 and get 10 mithril from the challenges screen. Then do the tournament and make Aeterna at level 8 Customize with Claude.

This version is much easier to break because of the extra handouts and gains. You don't need to level ESP anymore as you can do the above, and you don't need to waste points on pickpocket too. But rather you can become OP with leveling Blacksmith and Bodyguard etc. Its very easy now to make the best end game weapons and gear because you get a ton of minerals anyway but with max Alchemy ofcourse you can make everything.

adamsapple

How do I increase the Body Guard skill? It shows Party LV 4 but none of the upgradeable skills shows which one I need to increase Body guard.

adamsapple

The "Specialty" menu toggles are such a nice thing, basically in-game cheat-engine style modifiers.

More games should do this.

PanzerCute

PSA: First Departure R is $6.29 on PSN until the 18th. Anybody who likes Second Story R should play this.
Waiting for a sale on Switch this time, but I'll definitely play all the games in the series in the next 12 months, starting with this one.

I really want to replay 6 now too. Loved that game (except the awful narrative tunnel at the end. So many words to say nothing haha)

Last edited:

Jedge

I really hope we get more remakes like this. I never played the original but I'm absolutely loving it

Last edited:

adamsapple

Bloody armor + factor of returning 20% damage dealt as health = invulnerable Claude.

I'm just mowing through the Raid bosses.

This game just makes it way too easy to break it lol

Bloody armor + factor of returning 20% damage dealt as health = invulnerable Claude.

I'm just mowing through the Raid bosses.

This game just makes it way too easy to break it lol

Did you beat Aeslia Queen yet? That boss is TOUGH. My mains are at Max Level 255. And I have them equipped with some of the best stuff

adamsapple

Finished the story, beat the super bosses etc.

Some parting HD 2D pictures and final stats.

Bodyguard + Train LV 10 + Scout + Rings of Avoidance = million exp points every 2, 3 seconds on the top floor of the Maze of Tribulation. Who needs cheat engine with the game letting you do shit like this lol.

----

7cSZEPE.jpg

yLjNLEg.jpg

LzqoTb7.jpg

cn1tpZO.jpg

wUHvacu.jpg

2ykG99A.jpg

fyzhoF3.jpg

9Sm2VIT.jpg

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Bodyguard + Train LV 10 + Scout + Rings of Avoidance = million exp points every 2, 3 seconds on the top floor of the Maze of Tribulation. Who needs cheat engine with the game letting you do shit like this lol.

----

7cSZEPE.jpg

yLjNLEg.jpg

LzqoTb7.jpg

cn1tpZO.jpg

wUHvacu.jpg

2ykG99A.jpg

fyzhoF3.jpg

9Sm2VIT.jpg

so with Ring of Avoidance it makes it so Bodyguard works 100% on green enemies??? Holy shit that’s even more busted.

Now you need to give it another go so you can play with Ernest/Opera/Dias/Bowman

adamsapple

so with Ring of Avoidance it makes it so Bodyguard works 100% on green enemies??? Holy shit that’s even more busted.

Now you need to give it another go so you can play with Ernest/Opera/Dias/Bowman

You should have Bodyguard leveled to 10 as well. Even still sometimes an enemy can sneak through in the over world where 10 pop up at once if you have scouting enabled.

Inside dungeons it's easier to manage cause the game only pops up enemies in batches of 2, 3 at most.

----

7cSZEPE.jpg

yLjNLEg.jpg

LzqoTb7.jpg

cn1tpZO.jpg

wUHvacu.jpg

2ykG99A.jpg

fyzhoF3.jpg

9Sm2VIT.jpg

I was wondering about the Super Bosses, were you able to beat Aeslia Queen? What was your equipment for each character during that fight?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
A9B3gRl.jpg

uhkNvkd.jpg

They totally nailed the towns + world map, but some of the dungeons really lost a lot of their character. Weird that they went to such lengths to get all the framing and camera angles just right in the town areas, but the dungeons mostly have bland top down view and they left out a lot of details like these.

Love the game but I miss areas like these :(

adamsapple

I was wondering about the Super Bosses, were you able to beat Aeslia Queen? What was your equipment for each character during that fight?

Yes, and couple of battle suits and valorant shoes from the same super dungeon. but I ended up beating it with blood armor and Aeterna + 20% damage dealt returned as health factor. The only thing you need to keep an eye out in that scenario is have protection against status ailments, cause you ain't taking any physical or magical damage if you have the bloody armor on.

Yes, and couple of battle suits and valorant shoes from the same super dungeon. but I ended up beating it with blood armor and Aeterna + 20% damage dealt returned as health factor. The only thing you need to keep an eye out in that scenario is have protection against status ailments, cause you ain't taking any physical or magical damage if you have the bloody armor on.

I was wondering what items did you add to the Aeterna+ to get that support buff?

adamsapple

I was wondering what items did you add to the Aeterna+ to get that support buff?

Any unused armor you have. Adding armor when "Remaking" maxes out the Support tab and decreases the other two. The % health returned comes under Support factors.

You will definitely need to retry it a few times, make a save before you attempt as there's a lot of factors and you're probably gonna be reloading a bunch before you hit the damage returned as health, even there I think you can either get 10% or 20%, if there is any higher than 20%, I didn't see it personally.

Last edited:
Any unused armor you have. Adding armor when "Remaking" maxes out the Support tab and decreases the other two. The % health returned comes under Support factors.

You will definitely need to retry it a few times, make a save before you attempt as there's a lot of factors and you're probably gonna be reloading a bunch before you hit the damage returned as health, even there I think you can either get 10% or 20%, if there is any higher than 20%, I didn't see it personally.

I just beat her does she drop anything?

Was able to beat the Final Boss with his limiter off

I used the same strategy as I used for Aeslia Queen and the Group Battles.

I'm going to do the final Group Battle after I watch the credits and than I'm gonna to start playing Claudes Route

I used the Bodyguard + Training + Scouting + Ring of Avoidance trick to get the rest of my party to level 255

I'm around 80 to 82 hours. Still my Game of The Year

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Beat it a couple days ago on Claude's side.

31~ hours. Most characters finished at level 104-117. I actually stopped grinding those last 5 or so hours. It is a little dungeon heavy the latter half but with the abilities and skills you get it's a breeze to get through and also level up if you feel inadequate.

It's a solid 8.5. Better than the original for me. Many QoL improvements and better presentation.

As has been said before, we need more remakes this like.

Top Bottom