• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Tropics appreciation!

Vieo

Star_Tropics.jpg

Damn. I remember this game from back in the day. It was a perfect blend of story and challenge. My friend let me borrow his copy telling me he didn't like it because it was too tough. I played the hell out of and he was surprised with my progress. Then I got to a part of the game where I needed to dip a sheet of paper that came with the game into the water to reveal a secret code. When I asked him for the paper, he told me he threw it out. I was so pissed! I never finished the game to this day. I did play the sequel though. It wasn't as good as the first, but it was pretty decent. =/

Wasn't this game made by Nintendo? Would it kill them to cough up another game in the series? Unless a game utterly sucked, devs should keep their franchises up to date so they do find themselves saying "No point in bringing back that old franchise. No one remembers it!".

EDIT: FUQ NINTENDO FOR NO STAR TROPICS 3 AND FUQ SQUARE FOR NO SECRET OF EVERMORE 2!!!!

edit: vote nader

pollo

Banned
yea wtf man I bought my friends copy and I got up to that part too and I never finished it cause I didn't have the right frequency. That was some crap...the game was awesome -- amazing how fun it was. Its just that godamn part where you had the enter that damn number. I was so fucking pissed. I remember trying every number and it still not working.

GOD DAMNIT NINTENDO FUCK YOU UP THE ASS

One of my favorite childhood games. I would jump through the roof if Nintendo did another one for the Revolution. Screw Icarus it was an average game, bring back Star Tropics!

and today just check gamefaqs or something like that. Find the code, then finish it.

I remember not having the paper because my friend threw it out, but the latest issue of nintendo power had it in a screenshot. Problem solved then!

Vieo

LegendofJoe said:
One of my favorite childhood games. I would jump through the roof if Nintendo did another one for the Revolution. Screw Icarus it was an average game, bring back Star Tropics!

Icarus was an average game. I played that damn game for like 20 minutes and I ain't neva seen no Eggplant Wizard!

pollo

Banned
THERE ONCE WAS A TIME WHEN I WAS 10 AND THE INTRANET EXISTED NAUGHT

THERE ONCE WAS A TIME WHENCE I CRIED MYSELF TO SLEEP CAUSE I COULD NOT CONTINUE BECAUSE MY SUBMARINE WOULD NOT SUBMERGE TO A PROPER DEPTH.

Senretsu

has the potential to be a real epic game if they put some muscle behind a new console version, the world of islands could be huge, not to mention lots of puzzles. but i kind of liked the tile hopping puzzles, don't think that would translate so well to 3d...

Cave music was pretty catchy.

Startropics was definitely cool in my book. If Nintendo was even remotely interested I would have jumped at the chance to work on an update/sequel/whatever.

Now all we need is Mike in Super Smash Bros. Have him bust out the yo yo and light people up. Then it upgrads to the shooting star and whatnot. His projectile is him hurling baseballs or fire bolos at people. Then whip out the baseball bat and knock people outta orbit. But that is really close to Ness.

I need to go fire up my old cartridge of this. Such a fun game.

evil ways said:
I loved Star Tropics, but nothing sucked more than accidentally jumping into the water and dying.

And that death music. Great stuff.

I especially hated that final battle with Zoda. But playing it again recently I was shocked at how quickly I dispatched him.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The fact that it neither game was ever released in Japan doesn't give me high hopes for a sequel.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I actually replayed this game fairly recently. Man, I don't know how I had the patience for that back in the day... it's an extremely challenging game relying on rote memorization. Boards like where the arrows shoot at you from random places, the bowling ball running you over, disappearing tiles... oh man. But yeah I agree, this game is so good and Nintendo should definitely make a sequel. And make it cross over with everyone's favorite rapper :D

SantaC

Gold Member
uh I bought this game 2nd hand and in the middle of the game you had to input some god damn number I didn't have.

Great game though, never played the sequel.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
This game was awesome. Better than Zelda IMO.

The music, the story, the gameplay.... everything about the game rocked.

This is one franchise that I definitely think Nintendo should resurrect...moreso than Kid Icarus IMO. Its also one that I think they could easily reformulate to appeal to a more mature audience (not necessarily M, but at least T). They could turn it into their own Indiana Jones / Tomb Raider (but good) type of series.

bummyhead

i never, ever understood why this series dies so early.

Sign. talking about these old game makes me long for the days when creativity reigned supreme. Before corperate finance and market condistion dictated that an endless stream of FPS become the only games available.

ToxicAdam

I loved the first one. The second one was sort of "more of the same". It really could have used a nice SNES conversion. That would have been cool.

Top Bottom