• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Fallen Order |OT| I have a gooood feeling about this

I hate seeing shit like this, puts me right off a game

TBLQmM8.png
more fool anyone who bought this deluxe edition for literally a couple of mediocre skins a digital artbook and a video you can watch on youtube. Some people have more money than sense.

MilkyJoe

more fool anyone who bought this deluxe edition for literally a couple of mediocre skins a digital artbook and a video you can watch on youtube. Some people have more money than sense.
Yep

Does anyone else just wait and buy these games heavily discounted, or second hand, when they pull this kind of crap?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I beat the game last night and holy crap at that ending. Did not see that coming or even know
Darth Vader
was in the game.

This sets up to be one of the next great video game series, they just need to improve on some ancillary stuff like setting markers on your map, more customization. And no more damn ponchos, what the hell is that? I'm not a huge Star Wars guy, is that a Star Wars thing??? It just looked really dumb. How about some badass armor for the sequel you can unlock?

Really fun game though in my top 5 of 2019.

Last edited:

Mega Man

Considering picking this up on Steam or EGS. I can't access reddit or steam forums on my work PC (I work for public schools) to answer this question: is it better to play with m&kb or a controller (like Soulsborne)?

Controller. The game even tells you that before you begin.

I'm back at the Wookie planet for the second time and really enjoying it. A few performance issues at 1440p (1080 ti), stuttering, frame drops and what not. I'm playing on the second highest difficulty and it's not Souls level hard. I wouldn't recommend playing it below that.

Mega Man

Controller. The game even tells you that before you begin.

I'm back at the Wookie planet for the second time and really enjoying it. A few performance issues at 1440p (1080 ti), stuttering, frame drops and what not. I'm playing on the second highest difficulty and it's not Souls level hard. I wouldn't recommend playing it below that.
Okay, I have a 1070ti, i7 8700 (non k), and 32 GB RAM. 1440p 144Hz monitor. Quality wise, you'd recommend dropping to 1080p? Gameplay wise, bump it to highest difficulty on Blind playthrough.

Last edited:
Okay, I have a 1070ti, i7 8700 (non k), and 32 GB RAM. 1440p 144Hz monitor. Quality wise, you'd recommend dropping to 1080p? Gameplay wise, bump it to highest difficulty on Blind playthrough.
I'd try it at 1440p. It doesn't look to me like the most graphically demanding title, so give it a go. If you're having issues drop it to 1080p. Not sure I'd go highest difficulty level straight away. I heard it was a pain in the ass.

I haven't finished it yet, but I like it overall with the caveat that I run into "issues" witht he game here and there. The sliding parts are just done poorly and an instant curse-at-the-screen everytime you unavoidably go off the edge. There's just some wonk and jank here and there that annoy an otherwise pleasant experience.

Beyond that, I think that if they do a sequel that they need to change the upgrade/treasure system. The skins on the saber are nice, but having actual gameplay/stats attached to them would be better. Since they aren't cash shop skins, there's no reason not to add some rpg stat stuff to them. Attack speed, power, force regen, daze on hit yada yada. Imagine if a certain saber set absorbed bolter blasts and powered up the saber? Just stuff like that. If you're going to add Metroidy exploring stuff then make the stuff you find more rewarding.

After the initial start does the gm open up?
I'm in the ship at the moment. I'm reading all these worlds up for explore , loot chests etc haven't seen any yet 😔

genkigenki

Neo Member
IMHO SW Jedi Fallen Order is not receiving the praise it deserves, the combat is fucking amazing. I am playing it at jedi master difficulty and the combat is like Sekiro but for players with human reflexes. I am fucking loving it. Also it has beautiful landscapes and it's a nice combination of exploration, puzzles and platforming with a lot of options for the player. Also the sound effects are great. Game of the year for me.

I'm not that big of a fan of the combat. And it's probably because I beat games like Sekiro. A lot of the time I feel like I'm parrying or dodging in time, and I get hit anyway. It's pretty frustrating. Kind of like the defence windows are wide open but I'm defending too quickly.

sol_bad

I'd try it at 1440p. It doesn't look to me like the most graphically demanding title, so give it a go. If you're having issues drop it to 1080p. Not sure I'd go highest difficulty level straight away. I heard it was a pain in the ass.

Can't you do things like dropping shadow quality first before dropping res?

genkigenki

Neo Member
They really should have included a fast travel system in this. It takes ages to get back to the ship and I think the holomap is difficult to follow.

Yes, they should add this in the next update, can't be too difficult, and if they don't want to mess with the flow of the game (as I read somewhere from the devs) at least enable the option when you clear the game for the first time.

Hinedorf

Banned
There is so much about this game I absolutely love that I came in expecting full on dumpster fire. The music, the settings, it's everything in a Star Wars game/movie/story I'm looking for feeling very traditional.

Haven't been this engaged with a single player Star Wars game since KotoR

Last edited:

Starfield

Just completed the game. The ending was insane.

Pretty pathetic from Disney that Respawn made a MUCH better Star Wars story than the whole trilogy combined. Also John Williams isn't the same anymore aswell. The score of Jedi Fallen Order is MILES better than the OST from the Sequel Trilogy.

Finally finished the game. I was so bored in the final stretch. I never cared about any of these characters or the story. Are you trying to rebuild the jedi order? Too bad we already knew what would happen.

About the ending:
You spend the whole game chasing after a mcguffin just to toss it away in the end because you've found the power of friendship. And of course they had to shoehorn vader in the end. How many losers has vader fought between movies across all forms of media?

For a sequel i hope they add armor sets with badass masks as loot. Since we're stuck with boring lightsabers at least give us cool armor designs.

Fbh

Just finished it, that was A LOT better than I expected when it was initially revealed. A lot of the marketing made it look like they were trying to make a Star Wars Uncharted so I was pleasantly surprised by the more open and intricate level design, fun (if still a bit simplistic) platforming that's not as braindead as what you get in the uncharted games, and and enjoyable sense of progression as you get new powers and abilities. The combat was also fun and offered a decent challenge (on the highest difficulty), felt like a more casual but still enjoyable take on what Sekiro did.

It's definitely a very derivative game that doesn't bring anything new to the table but I'd rather have a solid derivative game like this than something trying to make a lot of new things and failing at them.

The story was kinda meh and since it's canon and set in between the movies you know they won't do anything big or crazy which is disappointing, and the main character was about as bland as he looked (pretty much a generic good guy), but I enjoyed most of the supporting cast. I wouldn't mind seeing the cast again but I honestly wish Disney would let them go off canon or something since that will always hold the storytelling potential back.

The only thing they really need to improve for a sequel is the visual customization options and rewards for exploring. It's nice finding a hidden chest by exploring every area thoroughly...... but if the reward is an ugly poncho it doesn't feel very rewarding.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Just finished it, that was A LOT better than I expected when it was initially revealed. A lot of the marketing made it look like they were trying to make a Star Wars Uncharted so I was pleasantly surprised by the more open and intricate level design, fun (if still a bit simplistic) platforming that's not as braindead as what you get in the uncharted games, and and enjoyable sense of progression as you get new powers and abilities. The combat was also fun and offered a decent challenge (on the highest difficulty), felt like a more casual but still enjoyable take on what Sekiro did.

It's definitely a very derivative game that doesn't bring anything new to the table but I'd rather have a solid derivative game like this than something trying to make a lot of new things and failing at them.

The story was kinda meh and since it's canon and set in between the movies you know they won't do anything big or crazy which is disappointing, and the main character was about as bland as he looked (pretty much a generic good guy), but I enjoyed most of the supporting cast. I wouldn't mind seeing the cast again but I honestly wish Disney would let them go off canon or something since that will always hold the storytelling potential back.

The only thing they really need to improve for a sequel is the visual customization options and rewards for exploring. It's nice finding a hidden chest by exploring every area thoroughly...... but if the reward is an ugly poncho it doesn't feel very rewarding.

I thought it was interesting that later in the game they delve into his trauma, not something you see very often in games and it does kind of explain why he's a bit bland and restrained, early on. If anything BD-1 seems to bring out his personality and there is that nice scene between them on Ilum.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Just picked this up was on the fence but the deal going on won me over. About 7 hours in and like every thing about this game except the controls are just imprecise and not responsive at times making jumps and combat frustrating at times because of the gameplay is not tight. Good game that could be great with just a little more fine tuning of gameplay. Best star wars game I have played in a very long time. Will definitely be interested in a follow up game with more polish and 60fps on next generation consoles.

Beat it on hard mode and was happy with it 80% of the time. A few glitches and I'm talking turning the game off and losing fifteen minutes worth of progress glitches. A lot of Miyazaki game design choices they straight up snatched but then put fucking skill trees in it lmao.

The illusion of going on a journey and the scope of the planets enthralls you, it feels like you're truly accomplishing something. This time period of Star Wars is truly the darkest, all Jedi are living on false hope. I thought I was going to end up doing something that mattered but damn... The last fifteen minutes shit the bed hard.

"Maybe it's the friends we made along the way."

I wanted Star Wars not One Piece. I mean it was mostly good but what WERE they thinking? Anyway, glad it sold well so they can patch up this dumb ending and move forward with some more interesting plotting.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Played through this over the last few weeks.
Overall, it was decent.

Pros:
  • Cutscenes
  • Voice Acting
  • Characters
  • Graphics
Cons:
  • Poor Combat
  • Poor Treasure Chest system that only contained cosmetics
  • Lack of RPG elements (like better weapons, etc)
  • Poor skills/abilities
Overall, it was decent. Would have liked it more if it went more RPG.
Hopefully they can improve these things in future games.

Below is the playthrough in 4K if anyone is interested. It's edited to remove boring gameplay elements:

Last edited:

ryan13ts

Beat it on hard mode and was happy with it 80% of the time. A few glitches and I'm talking turning the game off and losing fifteen minutes worth of progress glitches. A lot of Miyazaki game design choices they straight up snatched but then put fucking skill trees in it lmao.

The illusion of going on a journey and the scope of the planets enthralls you, it feels like you're truly accomplishing something. This time period of Star Wars is truly the darkest, all Jedi are living on false hope. I thought I was going to end up doing something that mattered but damn... The last fifteen minutes shit the bed hard.

"Maybe it's the friends we made along the way."

I wanted Star Wars not One Piece. I mean it was mostly good but what WERE they thinking? Anyway, glad it sold well so they can patch up this dumb ending and move forward with some more interesting plotting.

I guess they were trying to end it on a somewhat positive note. Although I have to admit I hate that they went the whole trope of
Spend the whole game trying to get something, only to say 'Nah, fuck it. Also, I knew they couldn't help shoving Darth Vader in but was still disappointed they couldn't just do one game without his presence. They almost made me think they did, but the last 5 minutes there he is :\'

I actually just beat it myself a week ago and Platinum'ed it first time through, and enjoyed it over all. The only thing that really REALLY pissed me off were the glitched. One in particular, with the Albino spider not spawning after getting ambushed/killed by it, nearly made me rage since it would have stopped my platinum. Thankfully, saw some forum post saying you could delete the game, re-install and play version 1.0 and it would respawn and it did. The glitches really were the biggest blemish on the game for me, otherwise I'd say it was pretty damn great.

tassletine

The problem is though, it’s just not that solid. I really like the game but it seemed to me like EA were holding the ambition back. Usually I’d agree with you, and some of my favourite games from last year were ones that did nothing new — Spider-Man and modern warfare spring to mind — but here it felt very, very stitched together. The game is pretty damn good, but it’s clearly not finished or balanced in any real way.

GreyHorace

Welp. Just finished it. And I'm happy to say I enjoyed my time with it. It's the most fun I've had playing a Jedi in a Star Wars game since Jedi Outcast and Academy. I certainly liked this better than The Force Unleashed, which I thought was terrible.

And I wouldn't be insane to say this felt more like a Star Wars property than any of the sequel trilogy, no? I can't be alone in thinking this, am I right? It nails the high adventure plus all the drama and pathos that one can expect from a Star Wars story. I'd rank Cal Kestis and crew alongside Mando and Baby Yoda as some of the best characters to come out of this Disney era of Star Wars.

If they plan to make a sequel (which looks likely, given the game's success), I'd like to see:

- Better polished combat. I'll admit I struggled with it at times. I thought after playing Sekiro the combat here would be a breeze. But it wasn't as responsive as I would like and it frustrated me. Respawn did an admirable job but they have a long way to go before they can match From Software's best efforts.

- More rpg options. I agree with everyone here saying the game should have had more rpg progession. They should allow us to customize our character with different builds and all that. Also, can we have meaningful loot rather than just cosmetic shit? It was disappointing to see most of those chests were just different ponchos and paint jobs. How about some freaking lightsaber upgrades that help in combat? Is that too much to ask?

- Less Uncharted platforming bits. I'm really not a big fan of all the cinematic parkour, and there was way much too much of that.

- Ability to use ranged weapons. Come on Respawn. Using a lightsaber is cool and all, but I'd like to be able to 'pew' 'pew' a bunch of stormtroopers once in awhile.

- A logical continuation of Cal's story. In the end, Cal chooses to destroy the Holocron rather than endanger the lives of all the Force sensitive children of the galaxy. That was a wise decision from him and felt like a good end to his character arc. But where does he and the rest of the Mantis crew go from here? They're still bound to the laws of canon since we never see Cal join up with the rebellion and it's Luke Skywalker who finally defeats Vader and the Emperor. It makes me think that Cal and company may die before Luke ever leaves Tatooine. I just hope their exit from the timeline is a story worth telling.

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised this game turned out really good. Electronic Arts is a garbage company to waste the Star Wars license on, but I'll grudgingly admit they did good here. If they were smart they'd see that this game has the potential to be a new series. But then again they'd probably ruin it like they did Dead Space.

Ah well. I guess we don't know what the future holds for this. All we can really do is follow the game's tagline: Trust only in the Force.

sol_bad

I just bought this on Steam and have had to resort to using DS4Windows to use my PS4 controller.

Does anyone else have this and use their DS4 via bluetooth? Big screen mode works fine but then in game it won't work.

The camera controls with DS4Windows dont feel good with the right analogue, they feel off.

If anyone knows how to get the controller working natively through Steam or if anyone knows good settings for DS4Windows I'd be very appreciative.

:)

Camreezie

This game really could have used fast travel. The Map layout was a bit off at times too, particularly some places in Dathomir I found it didnt actually show you the correct path to get to the areas you wanted to get to.

Mokrawr

Banned
As a game, Fallen Order fits snugly into the action / adventure niche. You’ll spend equal time doing both. The combat, as you’d imagine, is a mixture of lightsaber duels and force powers. Initially, it’s almost dull, as you can do little more than swing your laser sword around. At the beginning I feel bored, like the first time I play Star Wars The Old Republic, so I start to buy star wars credits, slowly i have unlocked new abilities that really open combat up. Abilities like easily blocking blaster bolts and tossing stormtroopers off of cliffs help sell the fantasy that you’re a Jedi. There’s even a good narrative reason why you don’t have these powers from the get go, as Cal is an out-of-practice Padawan re-learning as he goes.

Siri

Banned
Every time I see this thread I feel compelled to re-install the game and continue from where I left off - and every time I end up uninstalling again after 30 minutes.

This game is too... stiff.

LOL. Too stiff... damn, I should review games for a living.

Top Bottom