• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi fallen order has a bad design choice

The lack of checkpoints In this game is ridiculous. Literally just had to say that. Love the game otherwise except for the super slow walking sequences that are meant to up the cinematic value but just annoy the shit out of me like they do in god of war , last of us etc.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Throw in TLOU2 in the pool too.

I don't understand why there's a save option in the menu at all, because most of the times if I save after a fight and load my save, I start from the very beginning of said section.

Like, seriously?

Amiga

The lack of checkpoints In this game is ridiculous. Literally just had to say that. Love the game otherwise except for the super slow walking sequences that are meant to up the cinematic value but just annoy the shit out of me like they do in god of war , last of us etc.
I think the slow walking is because of the slow streaming of the engine, if they don't do that the game would freeze or show frequent pop-ins. there are a few chase missions that go fast but they use a different asset set that is limited to the chase area.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

xrnzaaas

I think the slow walking is because of the slow streaming of the engine, if they don't do that the game would freeze or show frequent pop-ins. there are a few chase missions that go fast but they use a different asset set that is limited to the chase area.
Yeah I had pretty big performance issues on the base PS4 when I tried to run from one end of the map to the other (for the purpose of collecting missing secrets). You don't see it when you're visiting a location for the first time and slowly exploring it.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Kuranghi

I just turned the difficulty down to retard until I had some more powers and then changed it back, before that I lost 15-20 mins of progress regularly, its a bollocks compromise but I was playing the game for the environments and power fantasy of chopping people with a laser sword, not really about having a challenge.

The game is just balanced in a mad way that I don't get, where it takes so many 20+ hits to take out certain enemies but they can kill you in a few hits. I fought through the repeating of content on Zeffo but when I got to the deserty planet I died like 5 times to that bug at the start an embarressing amount of times.

I really just wanted to make it so the enemies didn't hit quite so hard and lessen the "1 frame flash-blocks" a bit (The big frog on the first planet was trash ha, I died 10 times so I turned the diff down and he didnt move at all and I killed him in like 7 hits, it was so shite haha, no inbetween at all), but instead it was either what I had (not that fun to me, when trying to learn an enemies attacks) or just pure retard mode where the enemies wait 5 seconds between every attack, so I just accepted it and played it for different reasons.

Hopefully games of this ilk have TLOU2 style difficulty customization going forward so people can enjoy the taking-big-hits difficulty and I can dial that back a bit and enjoy learning enemy moves at my own pace. I still can't put my exact finger on why I don't like the combat in these "soulsbournesekiro-likes" because I'm fine with games where you die in one hit so its not really big-hits thats the main issue.

I just started Ghost of Tsushima and you can die very easily but I don't find it bullshit because I can kill the enemies just as fast.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Hmm... while I do agree not having checkpoints is an issue, the bigger issue was the magnetic enemies.

Certain enemies - mainly the creatures - would be magnatized to you when they attacked. So much so that it's almost impossible to dodge if your close to them. They would lunge in unnatural directions at impossible speeds which makes it super difficult to judge their attacks and your own dodges.

This is a big problem for a game that puts an emphasis on timing during combat. Plus it just looks super janky.

Anyone know if they have they fixed that since release?

Last edited:

SinDelta

A few things Jedi Fallen Order needed-

Ditto the save system as mentioned before-
Fast travel
More customization then yet another variant of poncho.
Being able to use a variety of weapons, blasters, electro staffs, ect would have been cool.
More armor types - Light Jedi apparel to heavy commando gear. Snow gear, desert gear can give an advantage depending on the region, though that's heading into BotW world territory.
Less "jank" in the combat.

Aside from that, it was pretty damn good.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Guess I'm one of the few people that started out liking the game but quickly grew sour on it with the atrocious "go back through the level" map design.
Uninstalled the game and never went back. :messenger_confused:

SALMORE

finished it recently , my biggest issue with it is that the lightsaber range feels short and as soon as you start striking you immediately go into this clashing state with an enemy which's very annoying imo

otherwise it's a great game

Hissing Sid

I was totally expecting the thread to be about ginger Jedi.

Anyway, I'm definitely guilty of save spamming in PC games (1 kill = 1 save. Oohhhh a corner! Best save!), so I quite enjoy playing the odd game designed around sparse save points. Makes for a more intense gaming experience. Alien Isolation did this particularly well imo.

And yes, forced walking moments in games can take a flying fuck at the moon. Shitty Hollywood wannabe bullshit mechanic.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Is this true? I dont think I ever noticed but that was a game I bumped down immediately because I didn't find it being more difficult to be more fun.

Top Bottom