• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - Review Thread

Typhares

8BK6O6a.jpg

Metacritic 83 with 20 reviews

IGN 9/10
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order makes up for a lot of lost time with a fantastic single-player action-adventure that marks the return of the playable Jedi.

Easy Allies 9/10
Star Wars is a beloved series, and when a new game comes out, some particular hopes and expectations come with it. There are excellent games in the franchise, but it's been a while since they’ve reached those heights. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has combat that feels tight and impactful, and exploring each of its imaginative worlds gives a great sense of discovery. It’s a fantastic title that stands as one of the best Star Wars games yet.

Gamespot 8/10
It's true that Fallen Order borrows liberally from other action games, but those elements work together with Respawn's combat and environment design, and a story that finds humanity in the Force and in its characters, to hone in on what makes the world of Star Wars worthy of revisiting again and again. Even with some rough edges, Fallen Order represents one of the most compelling game additions to the Star Wars franchise in years.

USGamer 7/10
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order comes painfully close to being the best action game of the year, but it ultimately falls short due to pacing problems and a host of technical issues. Still, this is the first step into a larger world for a franchise that has persistently struggled since its acquisition by EA.

Polygon - No Score
Jedi: Fallen Order is a flawed, sometimes messy game, but it’s a Star Wars experience I didn’t know I wanted. And after finishing it, I definitely want more.

The Verge - No Score
Given the state of of Star Wars games over the past decade or so, a good-but-not-amazing single-player adventure is something of a miracle. Those issues I mentioned can be frustrating, but they’re also worth putting up with given how much Fallen Order gets right: the intense and open lightsaber combat, the clever puzzles, the intricate level design, a universe just dripping with history and intrigue. This is what I want from a Star Wars game — and Fallen Order gives me just enough to satiate that long-ignored need.

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Read a lot of mentions of dark souls style level design which has really piqued my interest. Good to see a Star Wars game that seems to be halfway decent!

Mista

Banned
Eurogamer: No Recommendation
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order initially delivers well-paced combat and unique environments, but unravels into a tedious and repetitive slog.

GamesRadar: 4/5
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order might take ideas liberally from others, but the result is an endearing adventure that ranks as EA's best Star Wars effort yet.

Game Informer: 8.8/10
Jedi: Fallen Order tells a new Star Wars story and takes players to new places. It sits nicely alongside the Rebels and Resistance TV shows, which also dare to be different

Polygon: Unscored
Jedi: Fallen Order is a flawed, sometimes messy game, but it’s a Star Wars experience I didn’t know I wanted. And after finishing it, I definitely want more.

TheSixthAxis: 8/10
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is exactly the kind of single player game we had originally hoped to see when EA and Disney joined forces. Even if you strip away the license, you're left with a super satisfying mix or combat, story, and exploration, deftly crafted by a studio best known for spearheading an entirely different genre.

God is a Geek: 8/10
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is filled with wonderful combat, great visuals, and a decent story, but the technical issues are too prominent to ignore.

COGconnected: 90/100
I love Star Wars, I love video games, and Fallen Order is a glorious amalgamation of the two.

Twinfinite: 4/5
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is the Star Wars game that fans have been crying out for years now. While it doesn’t do anything new, its clear inspirations from Dark Souls and Tomb Raider have helped to create an epic, sprawling adventure that’ll have you ready for more the moments the credits roll.

Press Start: 9/10
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is the Star Wars game fans have been waiting for. It brings together a strong story, addictive combat and an earnest dedication to recreating that Star Wars magic to offer one of the best Star Wars games in over a decade. It’s an experience that any Star Wars fan can’t afford to miss.

KàIRóS

Star Wars + Dark Souls + Uncharted + Metroid Prime?

Damn and here I was thinking Shenmue 3 would end the gaming year for me, I'm getting it tomorrow sounds too good to pass up, if Easy Allies gave it a 9 it has to be a fking masterpiece.

Shmunter

Wait, 9/10 from IGN despite a white guy protagonist???

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Jokes aside, game is looking solid, will buy and support single player narrative experiences.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Looks like mostly really good scores although there are a few that are far from glowing.

Im still excited for the game but don't think I'll pick it up today as I've got enough to keep me busy this weekend. Will wait until a few more Gaffers/people I know have played it before buying myself (hopefully by next weekend).

Wow! I Was not expecting the game to look this good! Who else is playing on the XB1X? Everything about the game feels so flawless! I love the real time cinnematics too. I gotta get to sleep, but I am so hyped about this right now.

Romulus

I wonder if this can come close to Republic Commando for me. That game is the pinnacle of Star Wars games imo.

azz0r

Banned
Gonna wait til its £30 or so, single player is cool and all but I know I'm going to complete it and sell it for a loss, so.

J3nga

Russians on steam complain about the price being 50 euros(55usd), now, before any of you from western Europe/US say you're paying 60 eu/usd, keep in mind that half of the Russians earn less than 550usd/month which is roughly 10% of your monthly income, would you spend that much on just a single game? Doubt many of you would. Hell, I saw Brits complain about the price. Don't think this game is going to do good nor I'd want to. Also, main protagonist's imagery is stuck as ginger-gay-bipolar(shameless) to me, not junding his acting skills, but it's a rather strange casting choice.

Last edited:

mamut

Neo Member
I bought boxed retail version for PC, didn't receive it yet but can I redeem it into Steam, or Origin only?

Well, EA finally managed to shit out a good Star Wars turd. Gonna buy this on sale next year, since I have a few jRPGs to go through after Death Stranding.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

All reviewers are saying its 20 hours. Even if we assume they suck at the game, the difference between 6 and 20 is a bit odd. U probably read from some random metacritic user who's just angry/full of shit.
Nah, was the third critic review on the PS4 page, Hobby Consolas. But I'm happy it's wrong, I was just telling what I saw.

Nah, was the third critic review on the PS4 page, Hobby Consolas. But I'm happy it's wrong, I was just telling what I saw.

They might not be wrong. Depends on the difficulty. Obviously if they played on story mode the gameplay is basically none so that would take half of the time to finish. Most reviewers that have 20+ hours played on the hardest difficulty. I'm guessing its 15 hours for the average person.

KiNeMz

Banned
Looking good. What really grinds my gears is when reviewers state games have "Pacing Issues".

'It suffered from pacing issues.'

Its not an issue. Its not objective. It didn't drop story beats when you wanted it to drop story beats. Subjective to say the least. I would much prefer them say the pacing wasn't to my taste or the story elements werent frequent or too frequent for me.

An issue? Shheeeez. Like the game is BSODing.

Rant over. I will grab this after I fnish Death Stranding........that also suffers from pacing issues.

ROMhack

Looking good. What really grinds my gears is when reviewers state games have "Pacing Issues".

Its not an issue. Its not objective. It didn't drop story beats when you wanted it to drop story beats. Subjective to say the least. I would much prefer them say the pacing wasn't to my taste or the story elements werent frequent or too frequent for me.

Rant over. I will grab this after I fnish Death Stranding........that also suffers from pacing issues.

Hmm. Some games do have strong pacing issues though... like Alien Isolation which really meanders.

Can't comment about this game specifically ofc.

Last edited:

DZ_b_EZ

BLAST!
I really want to buy this on PC but I'm still on Chapter 2 of Death Stranding ever since launch.

I just have to hold out and beat that game first.

Hmm. Seems to be about what I expected - yet another passable (but not extraordinary) Souls-like. Except this one has the Star Wars license to serve as a lynchpin.

Regardless, I'll wait for the inevitable Black Friday sale.

Last edited:

Fbh

Sounds fairly good. The last round of previews really did a lot to sell me on the game.

Still going to wait for a price drop though. With Black Friday coming soon I'd rather spend those $60 on a bunch of releases I've missed from this and last year.

RPGCrazied

I'm more worried about some reviews saying it has techincal issues. What about on Pro? 20 hours is fine. I hope its not 6 though like someone has said.

Petrae

I was tempted to buy this, given that it’s a single-player game that doesn’t rely on MTX and apparently runs well on Xbox One X... but seeing “Souls-like” in multiple reviews is a red flag for me and means that I’ve gotta pass on it. I’m not at all a fan of the series’ combat or extreme difficulty, so any game that carries a similar kind of system just isn’t for me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was tempted to buy this, given that it’s a single-player game that doesn’t rely on MTX and apparently runs well on Xbox One X... but seeing “Souls-like” in multiple reviews is a red flag for me and means that I’ve gotta pass on it. I’m not at all a fan of the series’ combat or extreme difficulty, so any game that carries a similar kind of system just isn’t for me.

I think that's been discussed a little bit. It isn't as grounded as the Souls game(s). Meaning the only things that resemble it are the leveling system and how enemies respawn.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
83 on Metacritic seems to be score to shoot for nowadays. Funny how one game gets that score and it's all praises. Yet, another game gets the same score and it's 50% hate and anger.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
83 on Metacritic seems to be score to shoot for nowadays. Funny how one game gets that score and it's all praises. Yet, another game gets the same score and it's 50% hate and anger.
I think its easier for the West to praise something like Star Wars. Its a huge brand and a major film is coming out next month.

Verchod

Having played some of this last night and today, I begin to feel the Eurogamer review might be a touch closer to the mark than some of the other reviews. For me at least.

And wish wall running would die off. It's rubbish and looks daft.

Shmunter

Pacing is well defined in narrative. But yes, that itself is a sliding scale. But still, pacing problems can be criticised.

lucius

Seems good the length is a little worrisome but I will probably play it a few times, but that is likely a reason they didn’t want it reviewed until release.

edit:
oh nevermind reports differing with that

Last edited:
The quotes in the OP sum up my opinion perfectly, specifically from Polygon and The Verge

It’s a legitimately good Star Wars games. It hasn’t blown me away but it’s not bad at all.

Top Bottom