• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - Review Thread

83 on Metacritic seems to be score to shoot for nowadays. Funny how one game gets that score and it's all praises. Yet, another game gets the same score and it's 50% hate and anger.

Expectations are different, nobody expects an EA Star Wars game to be good. Death Stranding was hyped as the next big thing. And even reading the reviews the sentiment is different, guys had to get really poetic to be able to praise DS, while this one just looks like a solid, if unspectacular title. It also doesn't help that Kojima got needlessly antagonistic towards the critics.

Neither is in the running for GOTY by the sound of things, so in the end they're not too different.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Expectations are different, nobody expects an EA Star Wars game to be good. Death Stranding was hyped as the next big thing. And even reading the reviews the sentiment is different, guys had to get really poetic to be able to praise DS, while this one just looks like a solid, if unspectacular title. It also doesn't help that Kojima got needlessly antagonistic towards the critics.

Neither is in the running for GOTY by the sound of things, so in the end they're not too different.

I'm sure that is the sole reason, especially on the internets and GAF.

Last edited:

vpance

Watched Maximilian Dood play it for a while on the hardest difficulty. Looked challenging. He ended the stream after it crashed on him, lol.

First couple hours were good but after that it starts to fall off with same jank design choices and polish issues, like the EG review points out.

I'm sure that is the sole reason, especially on the internets and GAF.

I don't see the console exclusivity angle, especially considering the game is coming out on PC. I think it's just a game that was hyped to oblivion and the end product was perhaps just a tad below that.

So is this more Uncharted or More Souls ?
Just started on highest difficulty and ran into the first optional boss. Took me close to 20 tries. Definitly getting a souls-ish vibe. Might be that they made a souls game (enemies respawn if you fill up at health points / lose progress when you die, get i back when you attack that enemy again) and just attached 2 more difficulties on the lower end?

So far my main complaint: Don't put pipes everywhere for me to cut if they have predefined breaking points :(

hA3FmKS.png

Dynomite

And the Giantbomb Quicklook has just informed me this is the correct spelling of the title.
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order not Star War: Jedi Fallen Order. I probably would have never noticed.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I knew Respawn wouldn't let me down.

Agreed. Its why I told folks relax on trying to use a publisher to attack a game as if a developer isn't making it or something.

Talking about Anthem or Mass Effect or Battlefront doesn't actually hold weight to what this game could and indeed is revealed to ultimately be. I had no issue pre-ordering as I trust the team and buy based on a game by game basis vs "oh EA reeeeee"

This team is trusted, I don't think I've hated anything they've made, we all knew last gen that the "real" Call Of Duties where made by this team lol Be like "is this a good year to buy COD ie....is it da good team making it?"

Codes 208

Gold Member
“Still, this is the first step into a larger world for a franchise that has persistently struggled since its acquisition by EA”

so the best if a bad situation, eh? Thats fair

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Really liking the way this looks and plays just from streams and i had no plans of getting this but i'm definitely getting this in a couple of weeks. This is how imagined Star Wars Obi One would play all those years ago on the og Xbox. Better late than never.

Jtibh

Banned
Pro tip: You need to be a bit more subtle if you want to properly troll.
Okey fiiiinnne.
Ok let me be frank.
Correct me if i am wrong but this game is for free on ea access right?
That alone makes me not want to buy this at all.
I dont want to pay for another service and for me to buy this it has to be at 20 bucks.
I just dont see spending 80 bucks on a game when its for free on another platform.
Same with the outher worlds. Xbox game pass has it day one for free but its 80 bucks on ps4.
This should be considered in the reviews just like a 2hour long game for 80 bucks gets a very low grade like it was to the case with the order.

It could the best game ever but out of principle i refuse to look at it in a positive way.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Okey fiiiinnne.
Ok let me be frank.
I dont want to pay for another service and for me to buy this it has to be at 20 bucks.
I just dont see spending 80 bucks on a game when its for free on another platform.
Same with the outher worlds. Xbox game pass has it day one for free but its 80 bucks on ps4.
This should be considered in the reviews just like a 2hour long game for 80 bucks gets a very low grade like it was to the case with the order.

It could the best game ever but out of principle i refuse to look at it in a positive way.
It's on EA Origin Premier or something like that, but yeah I can understand where you're coming from on that.

It's hard to justify paying full price when something is available on a service like Game Pass or the aforementioned EA service, but if I'm excited enough for a game I'll either subscribe or bite the bullet. Luckily I was able to get the game for $60 Canadian due to the E3 pre order promotion.

RAIDEN1

The thing that surprises me is the fact that from a technical standpoint it still seems to have its problems as if the game was still in development...the game freezing etc....not even worth buying for a base Xbox-1...etc....surely these issues should have been ironed out well before release!!

Jtibh

Banned
It's on EA Origin Premier or something like that, but yeah I can understand where you're coming from on that.

It's hard to justify paying full price when something is available on a service like Game Pass or the aforementioned EA service, but if I'm excited enough for a game I'll either subscribe or bite the bullet. Luckily I was able to get the game for $60 Canadian due to the E3 pre order promotion.
Honestly i wouldnt mind to pay full price if i am a collector.
But with todays empty box with a boot up disc and a toilet paper in it i just cant.

I heard a lot of good things about this game and i am a huge fan of the gameplay open world exploration etc. but yeah i must pass for now. Sadly.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Honestly i wouldnt mind to pay full price if i am a collector.
But with todays empty box with a boot up disc and a toilet paper in it i just cant.

I heard a lot of good things about this game and i am a huge fan of the gameplay open world exploration etc. but yeah i must pass for now. Sadly.

Just save up or maybe you can get it for Christmas (assuming you celebrate Christmas). Seems weird to piss on the game, which you seem to actually want in your later posts, because you don't want to spend money for it.

Stuart360

Okey fiiiinnne.
Ok let me be frank.

Wait your not the guy who made a fool of himself by constantly going on about how unfair it is PS4 owners have to pay full price for Outer Worlds, when Xbox and PC users could get it for 'free' on Gamepass, and that the publishers should reduce the PS4 version to like $20 to make up for it?.
It didnt go too well for you in that thread, and it wont here i'm sure lol.

PeacefulWorldGuy

Neo Member
Finally a good game from EA i suppose, but sadly the game graphic is not superior like EA games with microtransactions content (frostbite engine) even the cancelled Star Wars graphic with unreal engine 3 still much better than this.

Jtibh

Banned
Wait your not the guy who made a fool of himself by constantly going on about how unfair it is PS4 owners have to pay full price for Outer Worlds, when Xbox and PC users could get it for 'free' on Gamepass, and that the publishers should reduce the PS4 version to like $20 to make up for it?.
Please show me where i did that.
Cuz this is news to me
Otherwise an appology is demanded on my end.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
That was another user.

Jtibh

Banned
Just save up or maybe you can get it for Christmas (assuming you celebrate Christmas). Seems weird to piss on the game, which you seem to actually want in your later posts, because you don't want to spend money for it.
To me money is no object.
But i am a bit hesitant to buy day one in this case.

You see i am a big fan of game pass and psnow.
But looks like everyone wants to jump on this new trend just like with tv streming services.
First it was netflix then hulu now its amazone crave disney plus apple plus etc.
By the time you pay for all you pay more than you ever paid for cable.
Same with gaming. Ubisoft ea etc and who knows how its going to end up.

If

Stuart360

To me money is no object.
But i am a bit hesitant to buy day one in this case.

You see i am a big fan of game pass and psnow.
But looks like everyone wants to jump on this new trend just like with tv streming services.
First it was netflix then hulu now its amazone crave disney plus apple plus etc.
By the time you pay for all you pay more than you ever paid for cable.
Same with gaming. Ubisoft ea etc and who knows how its going to end up.

If
But if you like the game and want it, why did you say 'paid reviews' and 'the game is really a 5/10'?, it seems very salty.
And if you are really worried about the game going on some sybscription service, it already is on Origin Premier. Just buy a month for $15 and play it.

Jtibh

Banned
But if you like the game and want it, why did you say 'paid reviews' and 'the game is really a 5/10'?, it seems very salty.
And if you are really worried about the game going on some sybscription service, it already is on Origin Premier. Just buy a month for $15 and play it.
This game for 15 bucks is a gift from god.

It is an insane valeu.

But i dont want to support this and cave in to subscribe even for a month.
And this is why. As a business owner i dont see how one can give a full priced game away for 15. Year and years of development and millions of dollars later.
I think this is the beginning of something very but very bad that will ultimatly hurt the consumer down the road.
Somehow the lost profit has to be recouped.
How will that happen?
If all games shift to a subscription either quality will drop to the floor or we will be hit with a ton of adds within the game.
Or worst case once you have no way out and games only are on a service the monthly rate will go up like crazy.

I still remember when i paid 7 bucks for netdlix. Now i pay 17

Stuart360

This game for 15 bucks is a gift from god.

It is an insane valeu.

But i dont want to support this and cave in to subscribe even for a month.
And this is why. As a business owner i dont see how one can give a full priced game away for 15. Year and years of development and millions of dollars later.
I think this is the beginning of something very but very bad that will ultimatly hurt the consumer down the road.
Somehow the lost profit has to be recouped.
How will that happen?
If all games shift to a subscription either quality will drop to the floor or we will be hit with a ton of adds within the game.
Or worst case once you have no way out and games only are on a service the monthly rate will go up like crazy.

I still remember when i paid 7 bucks for netdlix. Now i pay 17
Well you have to remember that most users wont have Origin Premier, or even Gamepass, so most users will be paying full price for the game. Also the whole point of putting new games on these services is to try and keep you subscribed. I remember a few years ago reading some survey article where it said some like 60% of gamers only buy 2 or 3 games a year, which ironically $15 a month comes to $180 a year.
If publishers didnt want to put their games on these services, they wouldnt do it. Besides i dont know wy you are worrying about multi million dollar corporations anyway, they certainly dont worry about you.

Jtibh

Banned
Well you have to remember that most users wont have Origin Premier, or even Gamepass, so most users will be paying full price for the game. Also the whole point of putting new games on these services is to try and keep you subscribed. I remember a few years ago reading some survey article where it said some like 60% of gamers only buy 2 or 3 games a year, which ironically $15 a month comes to $180 a year.
If publishers didnt want to put their games on these services, they wouldnt do it. Besides i dont know wy you are worrying about multi million dollar corporations anyway, they certainly dont worry about you.
Haha yeah they sure dont care for the cattle.

Of course giving gears 5 and such away is some type of bait to get you through the door.

Yes i worry.
We went from physical to digital.
Thats ok.
Then we go from digital to rent.
Soon it will be only rent as evident with the strong push with xcloud psnow etc.
Will this result in shitty basic games in the future? Just to fill up the library?

I go way back to the 2600 and this shit scares me.

But ok on topic if i just judge the game its a solid game.
Surprised actually as it totally looked like a go forward hack and slash.
Not much buzz around it though which is surprising.
Must something to do with disney pulling license from ea? Read something like that but may be wrong

DonF

Gold Member
Oh wow, great scores!

I'm busy with death Stranding right now but I'll add it to my wishlist!

Top Bottom