• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield budget started at $200M, final estimate at $400M and 500 Devs

Bernoulli

M2 slut
This information comes from a LinkedIn post by David Reitman, a well-reputed industry insider, and a former Accenture employee. David, while speaking to his followers, creates awareness of the enormity of Starfield and what type of a blockbuster project we have on the cards right now. Starfield is Bethesda’s latest, most ambitious project to date, so it’s no wonder that the studio would spend exorbitantly on it to realize its vision.

To put things into perspective, Red Dead Redemption 2, easily one of Rockstar Games’ best works up until now, has been developed with a budget that falls within the range of $170 million. And we all know the scale at which Red Dead 2 operates—the level of immersion exhibited by the Western action-adventure shooter is simply second to none, being the sequel to the first Red Dead Redemption.

It’s unclear as of yet how much Starfield will cost in total with all other parameters combined, but speculation says that the final figure should be somewhere around $300-400 million, considering the stature of the title at hand and the amount of time it’s been under development. Moreover, if the 500-member development team part is correct, costs are certain to be quite higher than $200 million.

GymWolf

The budget for gta5 was like 265 mil, there is no way rdr2 was only 170, like NO WAY.

from wiki:

Analyst estimations place the game's combined development and marketing budget between US$370 million and US$540 million, which would make it one of the most expensive video games to develop.

This is if you ask to chatgpt

According to publicly available information, the budget for "Red Dead Redemption 2" was around $725 million USD. This includes development, marketing, and distribution costs.

Gta6 budget is over 2 billions so those numbers are not far from reality, thousands of people worked on rdr2.

Still, a big ass budget and probably way bigger than any sony game by far.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The budget for gta5 was like 265 mil, there is no way rdr2 was only 170.

from wiki:

Analyst estimations place the game's combined development and marketing budget between US$370 million and US$540 million, which would make it one of the most expensive video games to develop.

This is if you ask to chatgpt

According to publicly available information, the budget for "Red Dead Redemption 2" was around $725 million USD. This includes development, marketing, and distribution costs.

Gta6 budget is over 2 billions so those numbers are not far from reality, thousands of people worked on rdr2.

Still, a big ass budget and probably way bigger than any sony game by far.
The 200 and 170 for RDR2 i think is only the devs costs, without marketing and everything else

GymWolf

The 200 and 170 for RDR2 i think is only the devs costs, without marketing and everything else
Incredible to think that the other costs are as much if not more than what costed making the actual game.

400 mil for starfield are obviously not only for the game, i really don't see bethesda over spending rockstar with a team less than half the size.

MMaRsu

Banned
It's been in full production for 8 years. It would be such a let down if this game isn't revolutionary

Just because its been in dev for 8 years (2 of those COVID years where people had to wfh) doesnt mean it needs to be revolutionary.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Baldurs Gate 3 just came out. Don't tell me you actually think AAA games are made in months? Starfield was already playable from start to finish last year.
To be fair, Baldur's Gate 3 has been playable on PC in early access for years. People have been playing it in early access for a while now. But I seriously doubt it impacted Starfield's design at all.

Just because its been in dev for 8 years (2 of those COVID years where people had to wfh) doesnt mean it needs to be revolutionary.
Studios did not take 2 years off for covid, gtfo. 6 months max. Even so, 6 years is a crazy length for a development cycle. Very few studios take that amount of time for 1 game. It's not unfair to set expectations high when a top tier studio takes that long on 1 game

God of war 2018, TOTK, and BG3 all had 6 year development times. Starfield had nearly 8 years

Last edited:

Ozzie666

It must be nice to have that kind of money to throw around at game development to hide the fact you don't know how to manage most your projects and teams. At least Starfield was handled mostly by Bethesda pre purchase, they are going to need to sell alot of copies on steam. The budget isn't surprising considering the years spent on the game, making it exclusive so late in the life cycle, questionable at best.

How much of my $15 game pass is going to go to Bethesda?

bender

What time is it?
How much of my $15 game pass is going to go to Bethesda?
giphy.gif

MMaRsu

Banned
Studios did not take 2 years off for covid, gtfo. 6 months max. Even so, 6 years is a crazy length for a development cycle. Very few studios take that amount of time for 1 game. It's not unfair to set expectations high when a top tier studio takes that long on 1 game

God of war 2018, TOTK, and BG3 all had 6 year development times. Starfield had nearly 8 years

You do whatever you want with your expectations, I'm keeping mine in check. Skyrim in space, nothing more.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I thought it was $200M-$300M, but not surprised by this. Eight years of work, I doubt the people working there are cheap, very high-end production values, MS investing in it to get it over the finish line, etc.

You do whatever you want with your expectations, I'm keeping mine in check. Skyrim in space, nothing more.
I don't think it will be revolutionary, which is disappointing. I hope I'm wrong, but there shouldn't be any excuses for a dev time of that length

I will say, i bet this game could be a 10/10 game with mods 3 years from now

MMaRsu

Banned
Just my opinion mate

Thats fine but shit can happen during development that delays projects.

Bit weird to say there shouldnt be an excuse for it lmao, as if we know everything that can happen during a project which could cause delays.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Correct. Production budgets do not ever include marketing cost. Marketing costs are always accounted for separately. The dev team has nothing to do with the marketing. The marketing department ultimately determines how much to spend and what type of marketing they do for the product.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yh no. Bethesda was a 100 person studio up until 20-5 when they shipped fallout 4. They have become bigger side but only recently.

It’s probably a $200 million game max.

Thats fine but shit can happen during development that delays projects.

Bit weird to say there shouldnt be an excuse for it lmao, as if we know everything that can happen during a project which could cause delays.
Yeah, and it is not unfair to critique management for those delays. Even Bethesda would agree that 8 years between tentpole releases is ridiculous. Imagine getting Elder Scrolls 6 in 2031?

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah, and it is not unfair to critique management for those delays. Even Bethesda would agree that 8 years between tentpole releases is ridiculous. Imagine getting Elder Scrolls 6 in 2031?

Why would you critique something about a situation you know nothing about.

Elder Scroll 6 in 2030 is very likely. What's wrong with that? Games take time to develop, it's not the 360 era anymore.
No way TES6 is releasing on PS5 and Xbox Series X (or just Series X). Bethesda likes to release their games when the install base is already there, usually mid gen.

Do you see Rockstar releasing a lot of games these days?

Last edited:
Top Bottom