• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield takes home the Golden Joystick Award for best Xbox Game of the Year 2023

xrnzaaas

I'm too weak and too easy to get angry to play rhythm games, but I still think Hi-Fi Rush should've won. Not that I'm surprised they went for the only big MS game that didn't completely suck or wasn't a buggy product with missing content (looking at you Forza).

midnightAI

Yeah and cutting the year in october or november is honestly disrespectful to the devs who work their ass off trying to get a game out before the year ends. Let’s see if BG3 even gets nominated next year on Xbox.
That's the worst part, by this time next year they won't include the games that didn't quite make the cut off so where nominated in other categories like BG3, Spider Man 2 and Forza. ALL game of the year awards should run 1st Jan to 31st Dec and be awarded after 1st Jan, that's your calendar year. But they don't because they like to get their awards out before the end of the year, Keighley just wants an end of year party.

skit_data

That's the worst part, by this time next year they won't include the games that didn't quite make the cut off so where nominated in other categories like BG3, Spider Man 2 and Forza. ALL game of the year awards should run 1st Jan to 31st Dec and be awarded after 1st Jan, that's your calendar year. But they don't because they like to get their awards out before the end of the year, Keighley just wants an end of year party.
Yeah I realized GoW Ragnarök was unavailable for nomination both last year and this year due to the cutoff dates leaving a gap in certain period last year. That makes zero sense and somewhat hurts the credibility of the awards to some extent.

All these should go Jan 1st to Dec 31st and have their awards ceremonies some time in January.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

At about 80hrs in I got sidetracked by the Quest 3. It's been over a month since I have played, so I guess I might as well wait until some updates hit. Looking back at the year so far, Starfield does take it for me on Xbox as well, but TotK is still my overall GotY.

Ozriel

M$FT
No goal posts being moved, your reading comprehension skills simply need work.

Dead Space - higher meta/user scores
Hogwarts - higher meta/user scores
RE4 - higher meta/user scores
TOTK - higher meta/user scores
SF6 - higher meta/user scores
Diablo - higher meta/worse user scores
FF16 - higher meta/user scores
BG3 - higher meta/user scores
Mario Wonder - higher meta/user scores
SM2 - higher meta/user scores
AW2 - higher meta/user scores

Again, with the goal posts being moved.

It is rated below a number of games in one of the best years of gaming ever, but that absolutely does not mean that it is poorly rated or 'bad'. ironically, it's one point below Hogwarts Legacy in Metacritic rating, and one point above it on OpenCritic. An Opencritic rating of 'Mighty' from critics consensus.

You attempting to spin this as the game being bad or unworthy of praise is just....weird.
You clearly lack the understanding that two things can be true at the same time. Starfield might have fallen short of some lofty pre-release expectations (including mine) and could still be a very good game.

Being one of the worst big "AAA" games by metacritic this year is accurate. It's also well below expectations. Both statements are true.

How can you cite Hogwarts Legacy at 84% MC as one of the best games on MC this year and on your GOTY list, then turn around and claim 83% MC Starfield is one of the worst?

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

If you're looking for sub 80 rated AAA games, stuff like Forspoken (64%), AC Mirage (77%), Horizon Call of the Mountain (79%), Lords of the Fallen (68%) are more your speed.

But that's the key issue with your posts. The sheer inconsistency.

I do believe Death Stranding is Kojima's best game. That's my personal opinion. I have never made any statement that my opinion on this game is widely held. I have always claimed it's divisive. So again you are fabricating misstatements or gaslighting people into thinking I am making claims that I am not. You should probably stop doing that.

it would also help if you accepted that your thoughts around Starfield are your personal opinion. And people could then take that opinion in context, especially with your history of downplaying Xbox exclusives. Because you've consistently popped up in any and all Starfield threads to insist the game is objectively 'mediocre', 'poor' and 'abysmal' which is completely at variance with any review consensus.
Even here in a thread about an award given by consensus, you're keen to attack the credibility of that award.

My pre-release opinion on Starfield was my own. I am not speaking about my own opinion when I claim that Starfield was massively hyped. I am speaking about the users on here at large. Expectations were sky high, with thread after thread claiming it would be their forever game and be some massive tectonic shift for Microsoft and and a metacritic well into the 90s. It wasn't. Please learn to read carefully instead of completely misconstruing other's arguments.

It's amazing how my comment that you posted actually turned out to be true. Starfield is already largely losing engagement as it's no longer being actively played much at all on Steam based on user stats and failed to push Xbox console sales to the top of the list during its launch month.

I certainly don't think there was more hype for Starfield than big behemoths like Hogwarts Legacy or Zelda TOTK. Something you were also keen to state

We literally had Phil Spencer come out frankly to say that Starfield was going to be the beginning of a sequence of First party AAA output, but wouldn't dramatically change the console hardware sales difference with the PS5.
As far as I know, nobody Xbox made it a Starfield success metric for Xbox console sales to take first place in its launch month. And none of that is a direct indicator of game quality. Xbox outsold Playstation in the US in the month Horizon Forbidden West was released, and yet HFW is excellent and made GOTY 2022 lists.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
the nominees were the following, I feel like Hi-Fi Rush was more deserving but oh well

Pentiment came out Nov of last year....so is on here by a technicality.....not a 2023 game
Chants of Sennaar and Dead Space are not Xbox exclusives.
Planet of Lana and Hi-Fi Rush were decent indies, but if those with Xbox game of the year then there is a BIG issue with your platform (well....there is)
Really the only big Xbox games that even came out were Redfall, Starfield and Forza.
So, Starfield wins by default as Forza was a decent, more of the same, racing game and Redfall sucked.

MS needs to get it's shit together. Been a baaaaaad last 10 years.

graywolf323

Yeah I realized GoW Ragnarök was unavailable for nomination both last year and this year due to the cutoff dates leaving a gap in certain period last year. That makes zero sense and somewhat hurts the credibility of the awards to some extent.

All these should go Jan 1st to Dec 31st and have their awards ceremonies some time in January.
actually they’re not even consistent in that regard since Pentiment did get nominated for Xbox (deservedly so) despite having come out last November, yet they purposely left off God of War: Ragnorok for PlayStation? 🤔

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
actually they’re not even consistent in that regard since Pentiment did get nominated for Xbox (deservedly so) despite having come out last November, yet they purposely left off God of War: Ragnorok for PlayStation? 🤔
Since they dont have formal rules when it comes what qualifies for a cut off date or not (the best would be a standard calendar year, but they do it early for desperation clicks), it goes to show how sloppy they are. It likely comes down to whether or not the game reviewers were able to squeeze it in after playing the game or not.

ungalo

I would have give it to Starfield and not Hi-Fi Rush.

Hi-Fi Rush has a great concept but while the 2 or 3 last levels are fantastic i feel there is a soft underbelly in the middle with some very boring segments.

The game is a breath of fresh air but that's frustrating when you feel it could have been far better with more budget (and at several moments i felt the devs were hinting at cut content). Just the soundtrack itself, it's not as good as it should be given the entire premise of the game in my opinion.

Last edited:
i love how you made this post pre-release claiming it wasn’t going to be anything special and wouldn’t be different from games like Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon.

Post-release you’re in every Starfield thread claiming you expected it to be a staggering revolution in game design and it let you down.

You can’t expect consistency from his type.

That post though. Gotta give a hearty laugh to the part about Starfield being of a similar open world design to Days Gone and Ghosts and Horizon (Horizon 😆) 😆

Fredrik

Yup. Not sure where Golden Joystick cut the year but Spider-Man 2 was clearly not there for PS GOTY and that was october 20. Everything afterwards is seen as 2024 games. Quite terrible tbh.
The cutoff for TGA is november 17.

Again, with the goal posts being moved.

It is rated below a number of games in one of the best years of gaming ever, but that absolutely does not mean that it is poorly rated or 'bad'. ironically, it's one point below Hogwarts Legacy in Metacritic rating, and one point above it on OpenCritic. An Opencritic rating of 'Mighty' from critics consensus.

You attempting to spin this as the game being bad or unworthy of praise is just....weird.
You clearly lack the understanding that two things can be true at the same time. Starfield might have fallen short of some lofty pre-release expectations (including mine) and could still be a very good game.

Again, no goal posts being moved. It’s rated below the vast majority of AAA games releases this year.

I never claimed an 83 metacritic is bad or poor. However, game of the forever, let alone game of the year, it is certainly not. When I call Starfield these things it is from my own personal opinion. I would not give this game anything above a 6/10

How can you cite Hogwarts Legacy at 84% MC as one of the best games on MC this year and on your GOTY list, then turn around and claim 83% MC Starfield is one of the worst?

Because metacritic isn’t the only metric I am basing this on. User scores and reception are significantly worse for Starfield, in many respects that’s more important than metacritic.

If you're looking for sub 80 rated AAA games, stuff like Forspoken (64%), AC Mirage (77%), Horizon Call of the Mountain (79%), Lords of the Fallen (68%) are more your speed.

And? Forespoken is also a bad game. I don’t see it winning GOTY awards. Rightly so.

AC mirage is a cheaper DLC type game. Call of the Mountain is a 6 hour VR game that was never claimed to be GOTY let alone AAA.

Using these games as proof that Starfield somehow isn’t the biggest disappointment out of any of the most hyped and major AAA games this year is totally disingenuous.

it would also help if you accepted that your thoughts around Starfield are your personal opinion. And people could then take that opinion in context, especially with your history of downplaying Xbox exclusives. Because you've consistently popped up in any and all Starfield threads to insist the game is objectively 'mediocre', 'poor' and 'abysmal' which is completely at variance with any review consensus.
Even here in a thread about an award given by consensus, you're keen to attack the credibility of that award.

I have only ever claimed my thoughts on Starfield are my own when stating it’s a poor/bad game, 6/10 or whatever.

Looking at metacritic and user reception, it’s clearly not an amazing game that’s a GOTY worthy title in a year packed with amazing games.

I certainly don't think there was more hype for Starfield than big behemoths like Hogwarts Legacy or Zelda TOTK. Something you were also keen to state

Starfield most certainly was hyped beyond any reasonable measure by the hardcore Xbox fanbase. The second coming of Skyrim in space, game of the forever, the title that would change the console landscape. I don’t think we can quantify whether it’s hyped as much as other massive games like Zelda, but it certainly had plenty of hyperbolic buzz that ended up fizzling out post release

CuNi

There are like 70 billions reason to not be worry about Xbox

I didn't mean to imply that xbox will cease to exist.
But we still have to admit that it is in an awful position.
I think the last counts of sales were like 4:1 for Playstation?

They really need to up their games quality in the coming years.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Again, no goal posts being moved. It’s rated below the vast majority of AAA games releases this year.

I never claimed an 83 metacritic is bad or poor.

Let's be real though, even if someone points Xbox games above 90 to you, you don't exactly have a historical record of being reasonable about it.

Ahh yisss, car games and flight simulators. just what everyone wants from their 90+ meta games

-

You have a habit of overusing the phrases "no goal post shifting" and "reasonable expectations", which don't fit the topic. A game reviewed in the good range, that has been a positive subscription and sales generator for the publisher is not a "miss" no matter how much you keep changing what your arbitrary 'reasonable expectations' are. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Let's be real though, even if someone points Xbox games above 90 to you, you don't exactly have a historical record of being reasonable about it.

Car games and flight sims.

You think those have a reasonable shot at GOTY awards and actually exciting the fans? Are those games why you buy an Xbox?

It’s perfectly reasonable to want legitimate AAA games rather than claiming “but…but…Flight Simulator….”

Use some common sense. Starfield should have been that sort of game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Car games and flight sims.

You think those have a reasonable shot at GOTY awards and actually exciting the fans? Are those games why you buy an Xbox?

It’s perfectly reasonable to want legitimate AAA games rather than claiming “but…but…Flight Simulator….”

Use some common sense. Starfield should have been that sort of game.

Did you seriously just propose that car games and flight sim games can't be legitimate AAA games?

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

The GT community's collective right eye is probably twitching at this statement right now.

And yes, my dude, car games *can* win GoTY awards as well. Forza Horizon 5 won 55 of them in 2021.

Jesus man, the moment I begin to think you might be a reasonable poster .. you say something like this .

Last edited:
Did you just say car games and flight sim games can't be legitimate AAA games?

When is the last time any of these genres won a GOTY award?

It’s like being excited for Madden or MLB The Show.

Sure, the more genres represented the better. It’s no excuse for those being the primary high quality exclusives you continually point to because the rest of the lineup isn’t up to par

adamsapple

When is the last time any of these genres won a GOTY award?

3rd most awarded game of 2021.

55 individual game of the year awards.

KoVv1GD.jpg

My guy .. please stop.

It's already bad enough that you spend a majority of your recent posting time arguing about Starfield, a game that you supposedly were so disappointed in that you didn't even bother finishing.

Do something better with your time, I guess.

Last edited:
Wait a minute... Are people genuinely debating the merits of Starfield to grant praise?.

There should be a moment of realization that is ok to have the wrong opinion and/or being able to understand that validation is not necessary to enjoy something disappointing.

Yes. Starfield is a 6-7 out of 10 (Okay to Good). The Fact that it has an 83 Meta (great) is a testament of the power of shill sites. Still, the word of mouth speaks for itself.

KoVv1GD.jpg

My guy .. please stop.

It's already bad enough that you spend a majority of your recent posting time arguing about Starfield, a game that you supposedly were so disappointed in that you didn't even bother finishing.

If you guys weren’t so defensive about other people having a separate opinion from you and replying non stop to some pretty basic and uncontroversial claims, I wouldn’t need to

If you’re happy with the quality on display with Starfield, be my guest. For me? It wasn’t good enough, and no amount of car or flight games will fill the void of what should have been for the “game of the forever”

Thankfully HFR saved an otherwise disappointing year from MGS…but yeah for me Starfield is a huge amount of wasted potential. It’s a slick looking game and I love Sci Fi but everything about its narrative and gameplay systems just weren’t the quality I expected it to be

Last edited:

adamsapple

If you guys weren’t so defensive about other people having a separate opinion from you and replying non stop to some pretty basic and uncontroversial claims, I wouldn’t need to

If you’re happy with the quality on display with Starfield, be my guest. For me? It wasn’t good enough, and no amount of car or flight games will fill the void of what should have been for the “game of the forever”

Thankfully HFR saved an otherwise disappointing year from MGS…but yeah for me Starfield is a huge amount of wasted potential. It’s a slick looking game and I love Sci Fi but everything about its narrative and gameplay systems just weren’t the quality I expected it to be

I mean .. even now you're doing the goal post shifting O Ozriel has pointed out more than once.

Let me be clear. Literally no one gives a shit if you personally find X game a disappointment. But when you start trying to make it an objective fact that X missed its mark either critically or commercially using flawed metrics, don't be upset if someone calls you out for it.

Also, I hope you can finally drop the "but xyz genre games aren't legitimate AAA contenders" thing now, it was weird then and still is weird now.

Last edited:
But when you start trying to make it an objective metric that X missed its mark either critically or commercially using flawed metrics, don't be upset if someone calls you out for it.

How did it not miss the mark, objectively?

Almost no one expected an 83 meta and a 66 Steam user review. Steam concurrent users saw a massive drop off in October. For twitch streaming, it’s far down the list too, and this game was intended to have a long tail

I wasn’t nearly as hyped for it as others, but even I expected it to be high 80s or early 90s and a GOTY candidate for the game awards.

You can still enjoy a game that “missed the mark”, but I don’t know how anyone could spin it as Starfield meeting expectations in aggregate

The only goal posts being moved are those that think the end result matched the hype and expectations

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean .. even now you're doing the goal post shifting O Ozriel has pointed out more than once.

Let me be clear. Literally no one gives a shit if you personally find X game a disappointment. But when you start trying to make it an objective fact that X missed its mark either critically or commercially using flawed metrics, don't be upset if someone calls you out for it.

Also, I hope you can finally drop the "but xyz genre games aren't legitimate AAA contenders" thing now, it was weird then and still is weird now.
That's his main move.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford , you can sometimes act totally normal and come off like a nice guy. But you do very frequently try to tell people they have the wrong opinion because it doesn't match up with metacritic. And you also aren't very laid back about others having personal opinions like you claim you are here, like anytime anyone said they personally were not into FFXVI.

Some part of you realizes that it's the right thing to not care if people have their own personal opinion on games. I think someday you can get there, but you're not quite there yet where you're okay with it. Keep progressing on your journey. I think you're getting slightly closer, but have a ways to still travel.

But you do very frequently try to tell people they have the wrong opinion because it doesn't match up with metacritic.

My man, you seem to be reading the room incorrectly. If somebody loves Starfield and it’s everything they wanted it to be, great. You’re not wrong for thinking that, it’s your opinion.

We can disagree for our tastes, but when I am talking about things like GOTY or meeting expectations I’m talking about the objective data and general impression of the collective audience that has played the game, not your individual opinion.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
but when I am talking about things like GOTY or meeting expectations I’m talking about the objective data and general impression of the collective audience that has played the game, not your individual opinion.
GOTY is really up to each person. Pick what you like.

I posted this earlier today. These are my expectations. The game exceeded my expectations.

In the end, I don't think expectations are a thing to ever factor in a game score. I just look at how the game is. My whole plan is to be as rid of expectations as possible, because that's literally the main thing that distorts things. So I don't know why it keeps getting brought up. I ignore expectations as much as I can. It doesn't matter. It's not reality.

Chukhopops

Wait a minute... Are people genuinely debating the merits of Starfield to grant praise?.

There should be a moment of realization that is ok to have the wrong opinion and/or being able to understand that validation is not necessary to enjoy something disappointing.

Yes. Starfield is a 6-7 out of 10 (Okay to Good). The Fact that it has an 83 Meta (great) is a testament of the power of shill sites. Still, the word of mouth speaks for itself.
So to sum up:
- people who liked it have wrong opinions;
- critics who liked it are paid;
- only valid opinions come from people who disliked it;
- all of this is confirmed by “word of mouth”, which I guess refers to the thousands of pages of GAF circlejerk and maybe some regurgitated YouTube videos.

That’s quite a simple worldview. I don’t think it’s accurate though.

Ozriel

M$FT
The Fact that it has an 83 Meta (great) is a testament of the power of shill sites.

Some of you with these weird conspiracy theories. Not quite as crazy as the time someone claimed Microsoft set up the accusations of harassment leveled at Kotick just so ABK’s stock price would fall, but nearly there.

It’s just $499 bro. Cheaper during Black Friday.

adamsapple

Some of you with these weird conspiracy theories. Not quite as crazy as the time someone claimed Microsoft set up the accusations of harassment leveled at Kotick just so ABK’s stock price would fall, but nearly there.

A day ago the award was a 'consolation'. 🤷‍♂️

all2IJ5.jpg

So to sum up:
- people who liked it have wrong opinions;
AND think is the best game ever and are unable to see its flaws.

- critics who liked it are paid;
7ye5Id2.jpg

when you have Xbox in your name....is kinda sus.

- only valid opinions come from people who disliked it;
not the opinion of one person but the word of mouth, consensus.

- all of this is confirmed by “word of mouth”, which I guess refers to the thousands of pages of GAF circlejerk
No.
and maybe some regurgitated YouTube videos.
Some?. But the consensus (even from people who like it) The vast majority are very critical.

That’s quite a simple worldview.
exactly

I don’t think it’s accurate though.
Exactly.

Isn't it intriguing how a key skill for immersing oneself in Bethesda's games involves reading/listening to conversations and making dialogue choices? Surprisingly, individuals defending this game in the real world often demonstrate a significant deficiency in their ability to read, understand, and persuasively convey their point of view?

Chukhopops

AND think is the best game ever and are unable to see its flaws.

7ye5Id2.jpg

when you have Xbox in your name....is kinda sus.

not the opinion of one person but the word of mouth, consensus.

No.

Some?. But the consensus (even from people who like it) The vast majority are very critical.

exactly

Exactly.

Isn't it intriguing how a key skill for immersing oneself in Bethesda's games involves reading/listening to conversations and making dialogue choices? Surprisingly, individuals defending this game in the real world often demonstrate a significant deficiency in their ability to read, understand, and persuasively convey their point of view?
Seems like I understood and summed up your point of view really well though?

I just pointed out that it’s simplistic, transparent and childish, much like your attempts at insult.

I was also very skeptical. But the way Bethesda tried to "rig the game" was very funny

You had the early access period and the first batch of reviews (around 50) with ≈20% of those coming from the Shill Sites. But the big sites IGN, G-Spot, and PC Gamer didn't play ball.

The second batch of reviews skewed negatively to a mixed reception

Then, the third batch of critics (mostly content creators) with hours-long reviews essays/analyses with overwhelming negative reception.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Did you seriously just propose that car games and flight sim games can't be legitimate AAA games?

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

The GT community's collective right eye is probably twitching at this statement right now.

And yes, my dude, car games *can* win GoTY awards as well. Forza Horizon 5 won 55 of them in 2021.

Jesus man, the moment I begin to think you might be a reasonable poster .. you say something like this .

You beat me to it so I will just add Forza Horizon 5 won more than everything from Sony that year combined.

I posted this earlier today. These are my expectations. The game exceeded my expectations.

I’m shocked you like this game so much. Doesn’t seem to be the kinda game you tend to gravitate towards, tbh

It’s “AAA”, mainstream, long/massive/big, and where combat gameplay mechanics aren’t a huge focus, and has a very generically western look to it.

You expected fallout in space but it exceeded that, has won your GOTY, and you’ve sunk hundreds of hours it.

What aspects blew you away?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I’m shocked you like this game so much. Doesn’t seem to be the kinda game you tend to gravitate towards, tbh

It’s “AAA”, mainstream, long/massive/big, and where combat gameplay mechanics aren’t a huge focus, and has a very generically western look to it.

You expected fallout in space but it exceeded that, has won your GOTY, and you’ve sunk hundreds of hours it.

What aspects blew you away?
Setting goes a long way. I love the nasa punk aesthetic. I think its got some of the best art design in any game Ive seen so I can forgive some of the graphical unevenness. This art quality cant be stressed enough. I was legitimately in awe of almost everything in the game from ships, to planets, to the little blue gravity lines moving on the star map, to taking pictures of computer monitors and industrial equipment. I never take pics and this turned me into a photographer. I must admit I'm kind of proud of some of the cool shots I got. Check it out on both pages if you want.

I never really articulated it out loud but I'm also kind of into industrial / mechanical porn. Just the large space stations at huge scale. The battleships that look like a small city inside. The giant mining facilities and lab interiors. Its the best I've seen since the base in Metal Gear 5. That was the last game that reminded me of this level of cool industrial design.

Voice acting is substantially better than I expected. Its probably the most diverse game I've ever played and I mean that in the best way. It seems like they really went to great pains to hire voice actors from all over the world. I hear American, Russian, Indian, Chinese, African accents and pretty much all of is really well done. I remember Oblivion and it felt like there were 10 voice actors for every NPC in the game so it really broke immersion. I got a little annoyed by all the minor NPC zoom in videos in New Atlantis because I honestly think virtually every NPC you talk to with actual dialogue lines looks really above average and you can tell they scanned in a ton of unique faces. The animation is clearly all procedural and not the best, but the faces are mostly really good.

I fell in love with the large cities and especially the fact they dont have a map. I wrote about this in the OT but it really taps into my love of genuine spatial awareness, because it makes you really remember the city and feel like you live there. This is one of the best things in the game. New Atlantis is gigantic and I was still finding new shops, quests and tiny areas up top or in The Well after 100 hours. Neon, Akilla City, Gagarin, all cool as well.

I think virtually all the quests are at least above average and some are great and among my favorite quests in any RPG. Entangled, Crimson Fleet in particular is almost like its own small full game. It just kept going. I like that some are factions, some are main, some are bulletin boards, some just overheard when walking around, etc. They put more effort into that than past games.

I think the OST is my favorite of the year. Its pretty unique for gaming and really reminds me more of classic 70s sci fi or even 40s classic films from the Hitchcock era.

Gunplay is surprisingly great. I had no expectations here. The AI still sucks. Battles arent that different from Fallout 3. But all the guns feel great to shoot, look really cool, and feel unique. Multiple guns are some of my favorites in any game just in terms of looks and feel. There's magnetic ammo guns, kodama uzis, miniguns, silenced guns. I still wanted more RPG depth here but I liked it more than I expected. I expected almost nothing.

I also find the planet scanning fun and relaxing on foot. Its super basic but really fun to find all the minerals, plants and animals. I dont think its meant to be the focus. I looked at it like something similar to Animal Crossing. If I was stressed or only had 15 minutes to play I'd just go roam around and do a checklist scanning. Felt like watering my plants in AC or some other cookie clicker repetition game. I sprinkled those inbetween quests, listed to the melancholy and melodic music, and took lots of pictures. I'd find lots of unique lighting, skyboxes changing based on the position of planets in orbit, etc.

I enjoyed the simple ship combat. Feels like a random battle in a JRPG when you enter orbit. Just a fun short arcade battle and xp.

Ship building is really impressive and I still feel like I just scratched the surface.

I'm really into the outpost construction but I'm hoping they add a survival mode and make these more required for progression. Its cool but feels a little too optional.

I dont play tons of games like this but it isnt unprecedented. Morrowind has been in my top 10 games of all time for 20 years and this is the first BGS game that hit that feeling for me again. I enjoyed Fallout 3 and Oblivion but not like this. Skipped Skyrim and FO4 so I was ready after a long break and it clicked. More than I expected. I didnt expect it to have a chance beating TotK for me but my playtime keeps going and I'm still really enjoying it. It reminds me of BotW in that I'm blown away by the game but I still see even more room for it to improve and keep adding updates and DLC. So hopefully they stick with it long term like they claimed they would.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Surprisingly, individuals defending this game in the real world often demonstrate a significant deficiency in their ability to read, understand, and persuasively convey their point of view?

Re-read your posts in this thread and see where you score with this criteria 😂

Add "another one" to the pile. (6 hours ago)

“Only negative reviews for Starfield are valid. Positive views are shills”

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I think you have to consider how Geoff pays for the award shows and how he gets paid, how he can maximise that income, and what the awards actually are. Spoiler: it's a big advertising event that gets paid for by the industry. Just like practically every award show.

I think that the situation is that award wins drive sales and if you can boost sales, doing it at the time of year when sales are at their peak is probably the best time to do it. Say, a few weeks before Christmas. Do it in January and the whole thing is much less attractive.

Setting goes a long way. I love the nasa punk aesthetic. I think its got some of the best art design in any game Ive seen so I can forgive some of the graphical unevenness. This art quality cant be stressed enough. I was legitimately in awe of almost everything in the game from ships, to planets, to the little blue gravity lines moving on the star map, to taking pictures of computer monitors and industrial equipment. I never take pics and this turned me into a photographer. I must admit I'm kind of proud of some of the cool shots I got. Check it out on both pages if you want.

I never really articulated it out loud but I'm also kind of into industrial / mechanical porn. Just the large space stations at huge scale. The battleships that look like a small city inside. The giant mining facilities and lab interiors. Its the best I've seen since the base in Metal Gear 5. That was the last game that reminded me of this level of cool industrial design.

Voice acting is substantially better than I expected. Its probably the most diverse game I've ever played and I mean that in the best way. It seems like they really went to great pains to hire voice actors from all over the world. I hear American, Russian, Indian, Chinese, African accents and pretty much all of is really well done. I remember Oblivion and it felt like there were 10 voice actors for every NPC in the game so it really broke immersion. I got a little annoyed by all the minor NPC zoom in videos in New Atlantis because I honestly think virtually every NPC you talk to with actual dialogue lines looks really above average and you can tell they scanned in a ton of unique faces. The animation is clearly all procedural and not the best, but the faces are mostly really good.

I fell in love with the large cities and especially the fact they dont have a map. I wrote about this in the OT but it really taps into my love of genuine spatial awareness, because it makes you really remember the city and feel like you live there. This is one of the best things in the game. New Atlantis is gigantic and I was still finding new shops, quests and tiny areas up top or in The Well after 100 hours. Neon, Akilla City, Gagarin, all cool as well.

I think virtually all the quests are at least above average and some are great and among my favorite quests in any RPG. Entangled, Crimson Fleet in particular is almost like its own small full game. It just kept going. I like that some are factions, some are main, some are bulletin boards, some just overheard when walking around, etc. They put more effort into that than past games.

I think the OST is my favorite of the year. Its pretty unique for gaming and really reminds me more of classic 70s sci fi or even 40s classic films from the Hitchcock era.

Gunplay is surprisingly great. I had no expectations here. The AI still sucks. Battles arent that different from Fallout 3. But all the guns feel great to shoot, look really cool, and feel unique. Multiple guns are some of my favorites in any game just in terms of looks and feel. There's magnetic ammo guns, kodama uzis, miniguns, silenced guns. I still wanted more RPG depth here but I liked it more than I expected. I expected almost nothing.

I also find the planet scanning fun and relaxing on foot. Its super basic but really fun to find all the minerals, plants and animals. I dont think its meant to be the focus. I looked at it like something similar to Animal Crossing. If I was stressed or only had 15 minutes to play I'd just go roam around and do a checklist scanning. Felt like watering my plants in AC or some other cookie clicker repetition game. I sprinkled those inbetween quests, listed to the melancholy and melodic music, and took lots of pictures. I'd find lots of unique lighting, skyboxes changing based on the position of planets in orbit, etc.

I enjoyed the simple ship combat. Feels like a random battle in a JRPG when you enter orbit. Just a fun short arcade battle and xp.

Ship building is really impressive and I still feel like I just scratched the surface.

I'm really into the outpost construction but I'm hoping they add a survival mode and make these more required for progression. Its cool but feels a little too optional.

I dont play tons of games like this but it isnt unprecedented. Morrowind has been in my top 10 games of all time for 20 years and this is the first BGS game that hit that feeling for me again. I enjoyed Fallout 3 and Oblivion but not like this. Skipped Skyrim and FO4 so I was ready after a long break and it clicked. More than I expected. I didnt expect it to have a chance beating TotK for me but my playtime keeps going and I'm still really enjoying it. It reminds me of BotW in that I'm blown away by the game but I still see even more room for it to improve and keep adding updates and DLC. So hopefully they stick with it long term like they claimed they would.

Appreciate your perspective. Sounds like you were drawn in with the art style and atmosphere, which I agree is absolutely fantastic for the labs, bases, ships, etc. The soundtrack is generally pretty good, but I only really found the main track to be memorable.

Certainly, this looked like the game that would draw me into Bethesda's universe, because everything with their recent showcases looked stunning. But then you get into the game and it's wildly inconsistent with the actual landscapes, enemies, and towns looking like a very mixed bag. I just wasn't convinced of the universe at all, especially with the characters and narration. It really took me out of the experience whereas with cyberpunk I was more fully immersed.

I certainly hard disagree with your perspective on everything else gameplay related, I found the gunplay to be extremely basic/shallow and the controls to feel floaty and off. Nowhere near as snappy as the best FPS on the market, which was a bummer to me because if that felt good I could probably live with some of the other aspects.

But glad you enjoyed it, maybe the next Elder's Scrolls will finally click with me.

Last edited:
“Only negative reviews for Starfield are valid. Positive views are shills”
I will break your universe:

The likes of you and me could be here arguing about it.....IT DOES NOT MATTER.

I'm glad Starfield is being destroyed time after time by these video essays/reviews/analyses and has been strongly criticized overall by the "traditional media"

WHY?

Because I know people who work in this game watch them, read them, and listen to the criticisms — designers, artists, programmers, producers, directors... you name it. And THAT IS WHAT MATTERS.

Hopefully, they will take them to heart and work towards making a better game next time.

Now you can keep 🤣😂 straight to the 🎪, knowing that the people who made the game are being humbled and even schooled by constructive criticism.

3rd most awarded game of 2021.

55 individual game of the year awards.

KoVv1GD.jpg

My guy .. please stop.

I think his 25 hours of Starfield time consists of three hours playing the game, 22 hours arguing about it online.

Top Bottom