• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | What aspect of Starfield excites you the most?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Interesting tweet.

What do you guys think will be the games lore justification of leaving earth. Is Starfield a way-way-post Fallout galaxy ?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Interesting tweet.

What do you guys think will be the games lore justification of leaving earth. Is Starfield a way-way-post Fallout galaxy ?

Climate change, pollution, overpopulation, economic opportunity, genuine scientific interest in exploration. Could be some political elements people are trying to leave in search of freedom as well on the outer planets. I think it will be all of the above. The 1 hr showcase showed lots of different groups that would have totally different motivations for leaving. Whatever that dark brotherhood group is could have left for religious reasons.

Last edited:

Raven77

I'm most excited to compare this to elder scrolls which is my favorite series of all time.

That being said where is the hype for this game? Hello MS! ANYONE HOME? Like, can we get maybe a single new screenshot? Or like, some new bit if info we didn't have already? MS Xbox division just seems to be a ship without a Captain.

As for the tweet about what happened to Earth, it's obviously whatever catastrophe allowed them most easily re-create the planet. So, whatever wipes away the cities and leaves only a couple landmarks for players to find. Throw in a few settlements and interesting lore. Easiest option for them is most likely.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I'll always buy my games, I'm just not a fan of where it'll eventually go. I'm buying and owning them for as long as I can.

Paying $35 on top of the $17 a month to still not own a game isn't the future I want
I mean, I would imagine that only a small minority of individuals are going to subscribe to a game service for a single game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Impressive to see BGS make a huge turnaround on combat like this (without ID's involvement).

I thought ID helped with things like motion blur, animations etc? Or not?

What's a good 'gunplay'? It's visual and audio tricks that make you believe that shooting is better than it actually is.

But yeah, combat in Starfield looks legit. A big step up from Fallout 4 and that was already good enough for me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yeah, they helped with graphical aspect, but not game play.

What's a good 'gunplay'? It's visual and audio tricks that make you believe that shooting is better than it actually is.

Anything better than Fallout 4 lol. The gun play we've seen in the clips looks like it could be out of a CoD game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah, they helped with graphical aspect, but not game play.

That's exactly what I mean. The way it feels to play (shoot) is deeply linked to how it looks and sounds. Beefy sound design, motion blur, muzzle flash, reload animations, enemies reacting to getting shot. That's what matters.

Behind the scenes you either have a hit scan weapon or projectile weapon.

The gun play looks 🔥

Impressive to see BGS make a huge turnaround on combat like this (without ID's involvement).

Yeah it really does look great! This game is coming for GOTY, haven't been this excited for a game since RDR2, if it's close to being as good as that I'll be blown away.

Astray

Gold Member
Honestly, I'm excited to see the lore they constructed, I'm a big, big fan of The Expanse, and I'm hoping to see something similar here.

The art style and direction looks insane as well. Very different to most sci-fi fare out there.

MMaRsu

Banned

But yeah, combat in Starfield looks legit. A big step up from Fallout 4 and that was already good enough for me.

Id didnt help with animations

Stafford

So many....

It's the game Howard wanted to make since day one. Has been in development for a long ass time. It's Skyrim in space in all the best ways, as per Howard. I mean, let's go! The sense of exploration, not knowing where I am at and what I might encounter. And last but not least....

Bethesda loves them some creepy creatures and so do I. I can't wait to encounter these mother fuckers. I will never forget encountering my first mirelurk, fuck. The sound when they walk, damn, haha.

Ijez08i.jpg
cQrAmJ8.png

u8I1QBY.jpg

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yes, then you can play 5 days early and have the premium edition content.

It's the certified FOMO edition. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Don't blame them for doing it one bit however. And if those users help to spot any bad bugs that need emergency fixes all the better for the folks not paying.

DaGwaphics

If they are going the scientific route I would assume a dying planet with all that that entails (over crowded, resource depletion, contamination, etc.).

Last edited:

AJBungah

Neo Member
It's the certified FOMO edition. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Don't blame them for doing it one bit however. And if those users help to spot any bad bugs that need emergency fixes all the better for the folks not paying.
Haha I got it because September 1st falls perfectly out of my working days whereas the main release date doesn't. I'll get my money worth then I plan to buy on Steam down the line when I want a second playthrough with mods.

Hudo

what's the damage model of the space ships? Can I get a hull breach and people have to have space suits equiped and stuff starts to float around because gravity/atmosphere is gone etc? How deep does that go?

Fredrik

what's the damage model of the space ships? Can I get a hull breach and people have to have space suits equiped and stuff starts to float around because gravity/atmosphere is gone etc? How deep does that go?
Getting a hull breach in your own space ship and having all your stuff floating about sounds super annoying. Hopefully that can’t happen unless it’s a scripted scene in the story.
But they’ve shown a scene like that in the videos when exploring an old derelict spaceship.

Vox Machina

Banned

I wouldn't count on that level of destruction/interaction just yet. We've seen no indication that spacewalking is a thing, so I'd wager that minor/moderate hull breaches probably aren't a thing also, short of blowing a ship completely up. Seems like something they would have shown off during the Direct if so.

I personally can't wait for the explosion of concept art, etc. of intelligent aliens if the story really is about making first contact. If so they're playing all of that very close to their chest at the moment and at some point will reveal it all.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ve been looking into the melee combat lately and I’m really interested to see how it pans out.

Here’s one of the skills:

F4EwPPfbAAA9Fj2

Top Bottom