• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | What aspect of Starfield excites you the most?

R6Rider

Gold Member
30 fps

Whats Up Stare GIF by NBA

Jokes aside, I'm most excited for the exploration. Also, 99% first person view.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Follow up question. You guys going first person, third person or a bit of both?

I'm playing Fallout 4 and I like to mix it up. When I'm traversing open world (survival mode - no fast travel) I like to be in 3rd person from time to time but as soon as I get in tight areas / indoors I switch to first person.

Fredrik

It’s a Bethesda RPG.

It’s a new IP.

I love scifi.

500+ hours in No Man’s Sky and seeing Starfield do many similar things makes me super excited. It’s like a AAA No Man’s Sky RPG.

Having a ship and a crew and being able to build and change a ship and the interior seems like tons of fun.

Exploring the planets.

Mods.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Exploring the planets.

Does anybody know how big the planets will be in map size?

I want each planet to be actual planet size. I want it to take over a year in real time to walk around any given planet.

Not gonna happen in Starfield. These are generated areas, but how big they are??? The planets you see are just backdrops and not real bodies. It’s not like Star Citizen were you can land manually on every planet, fly in orbit, go from one side to the other side of the planet/moon. Every action in Starfield like quantum travel, landing or exiting atmosphere are just cutscenes.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not gonna happen in Starfield. These are generated areas, but how big they are??? The planets you see are just backdrops and not real bodies. It’s not like Star Citizen were you can land manually on every planet, fly in orbit, go from one side to the other side of the planet/moon. Every action in Starfield like quantum travel, landing or exiting atmosphere are just cutscenes.

That's a bit lame. I'm still hyped, just a little less hyped after reading that.

Frwrd

Bug-free release. But most definitely the interactions and variety of each environment as well as character/ship customization.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Knowing myself, I don’t think I’ll be able to stick to either first person or third person, whether on the ground or piloting the spaceship.

salva

From what I've heard, I reckon stealing enemy ships will be fun.
Either from on the surface and boarding it like they explained as it takes off... Or while in space, docking the enemy ship.
Or just blowing them up from within.... hopefully there's something like C4 with countdown timers. Would be awesome to dock it in space, set a C4 charge for 30 seconds and GTFO.

Last edited:

pasterpl

For me it is scale. Definitely fact that it will be “Skyrim in space” as well is a plus for me. I was addicted to Skyrim for more than couple hundred hours.

Fredrik

Modding content for sure. Hopefully still keeping the tradition of being the most moddable AAA title.
Yeah they love the modding community, Todd hinted in an interview after the first Starfield unveil that the new Creation Engine was made with modding in mind and they thought the community would love the possibilities there. It’s gonna be awesome!

Hoping the craft system is strong, I think that’s critical to ensuring the game reaches its potential since it’s the glue that ties all the other systems together

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Exploring or more specifically exploring bizarre alien ruins from long gone civilizations which I imagine will show up in the game considering what they hinted at.

It's the exploration and the main story which interests me the most.

I probably won't get into the political side so much. Space politics can be fun but I'm more enjoy the weirder stuff that comes with space opera.

I have a feeling the end game is going to be very interesting.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Exploring the planets.

Does anybody know how big the planets will be in map size?

I want each planet to be actual planet size. I want it to take over a year in real time to walk around any given planet.

How bit they are? Big enough. We don't know the exact scale but there's nothing stopping them from making planets 1:1 size with the real thing. You can land anywhere on any planet by picking a landing spot:

Landing / taking off is a cut scene. Based on your landing spot pick, the game will generate landscape around you and populate it with hand crafted content. Abandoned mine here, cave over there, research station over the mountain etc. For an RPG set in space I think it's a good compromise.

Mostly modding. I easily spent a couple thousand hours just modding Fallout 4.

Space ship stuff has me drooling. Either someone is going to mod in the Millennium Falcon somehow or I’ll try to figure it out and do it myself.

I’m also excited for the base building. In Fallout 4 I ran a mod that let me build anywhere and I used it to rebuild several locations in the game and had self-run towns all over the map.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
How bit they are? Big enough. We don't know the exact scale but there's nothing stopping them from making planets 1:1 size with the real thing. You can land anywhere on any planet by picking a landing spot:

Landing / taking off is a cut scene. Based on your landing spot pick, the game will generate landscape around you and populate it with hand crafted content. Abandoned mine here, cave over there, research station over the mountain etc. For an RPG set in space I think it's a good compromise.

Glad to hear that each planet is not only huge, but the content on each one is hand crafted rather than randomly generated.

Sounds like each planet will at least be it's own Skyrim/FO4 map.

The hype rises!

It's Bethesda. It's either the jank. Or some crazy mod that will use the engine to create something like "The Forgotten City".

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The futuristic citys look incredibubble and having actual AI with real citizens unlike Cyberpunks I can't wait to go to Neon and gets some beers

Hudo

If there is no quest where you blow up a planet with primitive humans on it for the entertainment of some aristocratic fucks, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Winter John

Gold Member
I'm genuinely excited to see what level of disaster it's going to be on the Series S. If it was working Phil would be shouting it from the rooftops and there'd be a whole bunch of vids with XBOX SERIES S FOOTAGE stamped all over them. When a company like Bethesda which has a decades long history of lying and deceiving it's customers decides to come out and warn people about the 30fps limit on consoles, you can take it to the bank there's a Cyberpunk level of disaster incoming.

Last edited:

Connxtion

Everything really, but the one thing I keep thinking about is. Walking about inside my ship.
I never played SC, so I have always wanted to be able to walk about and see stuff inside my ships.

Then it’s building my ship, hoping it’s not going to be to grindy to be able to build a cool looking ship.

I hope space exploration is good, as NMS and ED was a bit meh, but won’t know till release. (It looks good and the lighting looks damn good in space also)

ZoukGalaxy

Exploration of worlds.

I loved so much exploration of planets with Mako in Mass Effect 1, and was disappointed they removed it for a stupid "probe launch" mini boring games.

I really hope that exploration in Starfield will bring me back this feeling of discovery of uncharted planets.

Majukun

i just hope it's a really good wrpg, like really in depth, lots of multiple ways to handla quest and build your character, etc.

nemiroff

Gold Member
That's a bit lame. I'm still hyped, just a little less hyped after reading that.

Not so fast.. What they wrote about the planets is actually not correct. I have no idea why people do that (well, I actually have a few theories..)..

But anyway, the fact is that planets in Starfield which are a part of the game's bespoke universe are procedural and planet sized. And you can land anywhere, walk anywhere (aside of gas planets of course..). They are not "just backdrops", and that was something the developer specifically pointed out.

In addition local handcrafted content of various degrees is embedded at different geolocations.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm genuinely excited to see what level of disaster it's going to be on the Series S. If it was working Phil would be shouting it from the rooftops and there'd be a whole bunch of vids with XBOX SERIES S FOOTAGE stamped all over them. When a company like Bethesda which has a decades long history of lying and deceiving it's customers decides to come out and warn people about the 30fps limit on consoles, you can take it to the bank there's a Cyberpunk level of disaster incoming.
Cute fanfic.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Finally getting that real open world space opera RPG we've all been dreaming of since Mass Effect.

Getting more excited about this the more I think about it. Going to buy the premium upgrade to support.

I'm excited for things that we maybe don't know about yet. Hoping for a revamped galaxy news radio... Also the potential is huge outside of what they've shown - if they get the space combat right, we could be playing the spiritual successor to Wing Commander. If they add in a reputation system the spiritual successor to Elite. I hope they support this for many years to come and really build out a universe with real freedom outside of the story (which I also expect to be great), but also regular new story content.

Kacho

Seriously though, it's the promise of NMS realized with actual things to do.
Pretty much this. The concept of No Man’s Sky is appealing, but the lack of fun things to do make it hard to stay invested. Bethesda RPGs have always delivered immersive worlds that you lose yourself in and it’s going to be a perfect pairing.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Not so fast.. What they wrote about the planets is actually not correct. I have no idea why people do that (well, I actually have a few theories..)..

But anyway, the fact is that planets in Starfield which are a part of the game's bespoke universe are procedural and planet sized. And you can land anywhere, walk anywhere (aside of gas planets of course..). They are not "just backdrops", and that was something the developer specifically pointed out.

In addition local handcrafted content of various degrees is embedded at different geolocations.

It's not false, these planets you see in space have no "content" in the first place. These will be generated the moment you set a landing target, it's completely different from Star Citizen were you can have full control over your ship from quatum travel, manually landing on everything you see. It's a compromise you get in Starfield because they do not have the same tech and that's fine, but we also don't know if it's even possible what hey asked (walk a year around a planet). I'm not sure that's even possible in Starfield since you can't use your ship on planets, do not have rovers and they might not generate that amount of areas around you.

But that's maybe something they still need to explain more before launch.

Top Bottom