• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
6YlSCxu.png

I'm going to get some mileage out of this.

.... well shit.

MUnited83

For you.
Best way to go about reviewing games like Hitman and Street Fighter V?

I don't quite get it. If reviewers have to constantly update their reviews on that kind of games, then I guess they should also keep reviewing full-price MMOs (or all of them, I think) as well, then. The contents are keep being updated as long as the games are alive. Just review them as it is, gameplay is everything.

Nah, reviews should definitely be updated. Otherwise, they are completely and utterly useless.(instead of just borderline useless)

And HITMAN is a episodic game, so it should be reviewed like every other episodic release: each episode gets a review, it's that simple.

Nah, reviews should definitely be updated. Otherwise, they are completely and utterly useless.(instead of just borderline useless)

And HITMAN is a episodic game, so it should be reviewed like every other episodic release: each episode gets a review, it's that simple.

If so, they still have many unfinished jobs with those MMOs then. MMOs are so undeservedly underrated. :/

Yeah, I've just remembered that Hitman is actually episodic.

I just tried logging on to a Flash game I haven't played in years called Dawn of the Dragons. Imagine my bewilderment when I found out that:

a) I somehow amassed 174 billion dollars of in-game gold
b) All the troops/mounts/legions I own are obsolete
c) People constantly beg to have me finish raids for them, and
d) The main story arc is finished
e) You still run out of "stamina" insanely quick and have to use real money to buy refills/proceed

I now remember why I stopped playing in the first place.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Echoplx, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Echoplx, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hitman #3 -- MB-3DB0DD3E6E2988E2 - Taken by Dongs Macabre. 10 entrants total.
Hitman #2 -- MB-026EF6D70342389D - Taken by diabolusinmusica. 8 entrants total.
Hitman #1 -- MB-9F7DB4B0BB9F176F - Taken by pantsattack. 9 entrants total.
Hitman #7 -- MB-71A009CA67FEF721 - Taken by bobnowhere. 7 entrants total.
Hitman #6 -- MB-90875F327A3FC534 - Taken by L.O.R.D. 9 entrants total.
Hitman #5 -- MB-DD75ACC0076FC976 - Taken by SirMossyBloke. 5 entrants total.
Hitman #4 -- MB-0B4AA5541B573CC4 - Taken by chronomac. 5 entrants total.

t1455607898z1.png

Dr Dogg

Is there an in-game CFN friends list? Otherwise, that's not going to help those of us with a copy on Steam. :p

It's a bit clunky but you can search and follow folks. Problem is I don't think it actually imports your Steam friends list and ties it up to their Capcom ID so you'd probably have to pester fools individually.

Do we even have a GAF/SteamGAF CFN exchange list/spreadsheet on the go or does muggins here need to take the initiative?

Lain

Is there an announced price for Hitman GO? I only have 50ish Steam € left from my birthday giftcode and wanted to save it for Dangan and FFIX, so I need to make plans.

zkylon

zkylewd
finished xcom 2

game's awesome, but it's rough

i want to say all the additions they made to the formula were successes, from the new classes and rebalanced skills, to the new enemy types, mostly procedural maps, the more involved overworld metagame, the story and cutscenes, the variety in missions, the customization, etc.

all of that is fantastic, it's the quintessential sequel, the core is still there, but shaken up with heaps of new content and really good one too

add in day 1 mod support and i see this game going a long way specially if they do good dlc for it

---

now for the bad

performance and bugs really sucked my temptation from doing a second playthrough. the framerate is just too uneven, the loading times too long, sometimes the game just freezes in time waiting for something to compute in the background, sometimes the random levels just screw you over and are impossible to beat, sometimes you trigger enemies through walls, and so on. it needs a couple patches and it'll be an awesome game in 6 months or whatever. it also needs a couple key mods, although there's some already. speeding up animations all over will be key for replayability, cos everything just takes too long. i feel like the game could use a balancing pass to make it a bit more fair and smooth, but unfortunately modders will probably just focus on making it even harder. i'd love a mod that just make you start with the "bleeding out" perk. i actually got my one bleedout situation on the final mission and that's a cool mechanic that would be awesome to have from the start, and would make the game a bit less punishing while still creating cool decisionmaking and tough situations. i mean, having someone bleeding out isn't a huge improvement over them dying outright...

i'm also not a big fan of how big of a factor rng is in this game. critical hits can one shot your best soldiers out of nowhere and while there's something you could've always done it kind of sucks that sometimes the dice just screwed you. i feel like that combined with the time limits force you into making hasty decisions and that just kept making me wanna savescum.

and while i liked the story better than in 1 i still think it's kinda weak and it wraps up kind of like in the most hilarious possible way

---

i'd recommend anyone to wait a couple months for the game to be a bit more stable and for some mods to come out, but man when it works... what a game

also in the process on creating the entire league human roster atm lol

it's pretty funny

Ug... I hit the limit on my internet. Stuck at dial-up until tomorrow.

So it's time for another round of "Random Stuff I've been playing that you may not of heard of!"

TRPG, has many similarities to Expeditions: Conquistador without the resource management. You play a noble who has returned to his lands to find out it's all gone to shit while you're been away. Vassals are fighting among themselves, Mercenaries roam the lands and I wasn't paying enough attention at the start of the game and I can't work out where my home castle is.

You army consists of up to 12 units, 5 front line melee, 4 range and 3 healer/buffers at the back. Here is where it gets a little strange, each melee unit can move as far as they want but they can only attack the nearest enemy though they can choose if another is the same distance away. So no sneaking around the back to take out the range squishies. Seems oddly limiting for a TRPG.

It's also quite difficult to work out what you are meant to be doing most of the time and it is easy to get into fights way above your level. Will come back to this, need to learn about it a little more.

Twin stick brawler set in an office with obvious mobile roots but with one minor/glaring drawback, it has no twinstick controls. In fact it might have the dumbest control scheme of all time. It does have controller support but movement is mapped to the face buttons! IF they can put proper controller support in I might return to it but now it's just an exercise in frustration.

Very nice ninja platformer with great graphics and style. Controls are also pretty good though I always seem to have issues pulling of a downward attack properly on tough enemies. More attack oriented than Mark of the Ninja, but similar in many ways.

Collect orbs, collect something else, multiple difficulties and even a level editor. A high quality product. Wil finish this one soon.

Hektor

Will buy Digital Deluxe.
from Dragon Punch

Speaking of Dark Souls, I just learned about this Vagrant enemy. Over 200 hours spent on the game and never seen one. Fuck man.

Holy shit. That's what i love about the souls series. So many secrets.

so... wait for the complete edition like i did for DS2? ok, got it.

Then you'll miss out on awesome PVP action, the first few months are always the best, when people are all still very experimental and don't have cookiecutter builds.

Dark Souls 3 is going to be GAF game of the year, isn't it.

Top 3 absolutely. Top 1 for me? Nah. Nier: Automata and P5 are supposed to releas this year. Well, officially at least.

T7Lzy5k.png

I didn't expect that at all. And I'm dead serious.

Are developers (and gamers) actually ready for online only video games?
MMOs and launch day have been around for decades. Do people even learn?

MUnited83

For you.
T7Lzy5k.png

I didn't expect that at all. And I'm dead serious.

Are developers (and gamers) actually ready for online only video games?
MMOs and launch day have been around for decades. Do people even learn?

To be fair, there's not really much you can do to prevent online issues on the launch day of big selling titles.

To be fair, there's not really much you can do to prevent online issues on the launch day of big selling titles.

Yes, I'm talking about both sides. Players should've understand at this point, it's pretty normal.
At least Capcom is actively informing the players about the issues on several media. Good job on that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just woke up, SFV servers are busted and DS3 pre-purchase is up? alrighty then

It's the witching hour, let's get crazy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HP_Wuvcraft, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #2 -- MB-D9D3E991B6EDA313 - Taken by Costa1774
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #3 -- MB-9D986DA2009BF9EF - Taken by PetriP-TNT
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #1 -- MB-D53E35D84FAFAB38 - Taken by Belgarion
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #4 -- MB-9CA3A1F888BA5607 - Taken by morningbus
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #5 -- MB-217C41714F724EA2 - Taken by Jadax

Dr Dogg

just woke up, SFV servers are busted and DS3 pre-purchase is up? alrighty then

SFV is 'Connecting' and 'The Server is Unavailable at this Time' the game. To be expected with a mass influx of peeps all trying to get in at once but even during the betas and load testing sessions I was in it seemed like their infrastructure was about as wobbly as Uplay's. Guess we'll see what it's really like in a week or two but as a game that is touted as a service and the package as it stands offers more content whilst you're online, not to mention if you're not online you don't earn Fight Money in any mode, this is something I guess is going to have to be ironed out sharpish.

Speaking of ironing things out, having to search manually for peeps via their Steam permalink id is not intuitive Capcom. I have no idea what tools are available to be able to query Steam for a users friends list but if I'm butting my head against the wall having to flit between a browser window and the game to add folks on my friends list to my favourites in game you can bet your average, casual player is going to be lost to the point of not bothering.

It's a wasteland. Most forums are. Some are slightly less so. Some are absolute dumpster fires.

A dumpster fire is putting it mildly. The problem is that the vast majority of forums are essentially unmoderated, and are just left to fester. In some cases intentionally, either out of lack of manpower, due to fear of a backlash, or due to some misguided defense of free speech, all of which only benefits trolls and polemicists. The game 'That Dragon, Cancer' is one example of this, though luckily the developers later reversed their decision to not moderate the forum after it became extremely inhospitable to their actual customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom