• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Thinking of getting the steam deck couple of questions,
is the screen laminated?
Worried about about size and weight
The wii u game pad was comfortable to use for hours, anyone that tried both, is this similar?
How is emulation, can you play 1080p wii games on big screen, via the dock.

Topher

Gold Member
ETA Prime unboxing Limited Edition

finding nemo seagulls GIF

what, you don't think i disagree with him?

Watched the whole thing and the minor differences between screens seems he seems to overinflate and nitpick. That being said it's still a valid perspective nonetheless
Ah okay. Yep, whole video he struggles to actually say anything that is reflected with his findings and demonstration, talks about big differences then the next sentence talks about how you can’t really tell, and maybe.
Not a good video. But yes. A different perspective.

Last edited:

Quasicat

perhaps you could help me identify something:

ubi6DpG.jpg

I bought a Steam Deck OLED and it comes tomorrow. I saw the game shown above on a quick ad and want to play it. Can anyone identify it for me?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Always thought this game looked cool, I just bought it.

Might not get to it very soon though. I just started Dragon’s Dogma this morning (never did get around to playing it!) It runs beautifully on the OLED at 90 hz, battery life seems good too, you can probably get over 3 hours.

1tXuo5e.jpg

My fat midget wizard with masculine stance

graywolf323

This video:

theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.gif

The guy, "You probably can't see," "Maybe there's a difference here", "I think maybe"
Followed by, "Oh its way sharper, a big difference."
Proceeds to not show big difference.

Lol
I mean that’s because you can’t always tell from pictures/video when it comes to things like this, it’s always easier to see in person

it’s also going to be personal preference to an extent where it bothers some people more than others, some people won’t care but honestly that’s one of the reasons Taki‘s video was a surprise because the etched screen on the LCD definitely had a noticeable effect

Last edited:
I mean that’s because you can’t always tell from pictures/video when it comes to things like this, it’s always easier to see in person

it’s also going to be personal preference to an extent where it bothers some people more than others, some people won’t care but honestly that’s one of the reasons Taki‘s video was a surprise because the etched screen on the LCD definitely had a noticeable effect
It’s not just the video/pictures, he actually says he can’t really tell, and uses language like, “maybe”, “nitpicking,” etc.

I think it’s just a non-issue.

Topher

Gold Member
It’s not just the video/pictures, he actually says he can’t really tell, and uses language like, “maybe”, “nitpicking,” etc.

I do as well, but if someone doesn't care for it then most are saying that a screen protector will take care of it. Maybe not fully, but close enough.

graywolf323

did you watch the whole video? he said that in regards to being in a brighter room, but later he was talking about playing them in a darker room & he said the glossy screen really popped in that environment & to him the difference was very noticeable there

but even in brighter environments he also noted that text on the etched screen appeared softer, now that’s going to be a personal preference (he even said he preferred the softer look on the etched LCD screen vs. the glossy LCD screen) but it’s not like the whole video was him saying there was barely any difference

none of that is surprising, if you are going to play in bright areas or outside during the day the etched glass was always going to have an advantage

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Really? I think it looks awesome. Especially the orange accents.

I'm not saying it looks bad, just not anywhere as good as in the promo shots (which is quite often the case, with many products). And looking at that video, I actually prefer the stealth black look of the regular one.

Promo shots for reference:

limited_front.0.jpg

limited_back.jpeg

NeonDelta

how do we turn HDR on? or is it on by default? i just tried Rainbow Six Vegas and it has HDR in the games menu. does that mean its definitely on?

rocketleague

Neo Member
is there a safe way to buy steam deck oled from users in here?
are any of you willing to sell me a new steam deck oled LE or 512 for a reasonable price?

Topher

Gold Member
I call bullshit on using Forza Horizon 5 to showcase performance. It doesn't run that well in real races, only in the empty open world. You'll be lucky if it even maintains 30 FPS on some of the featured custom tracks.

Meh......it isn't a video highlighting performance so not that big a deal.

Top Bottom