• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Hardware Survey October 2023 Results. RTX now over 50% of chart for the first time. 2 RTX 40 cards in the top 15.

Leonidas

Steam Hardware & Software Survey

RTX cards are now over 53% of the chart.

All Nvidia 40-series cards already made the list. No new RX 7000 entries.

RTX 4060, 4060 Ti and 4070 were the current gen desktop GPUs with the biggest % gains this month.

Current gen GPUs on the list include

RTX 4090
RTX 4080
RTX 4070 Ti
RTX 4070 (highest charting current gen GPU: most likely will become the first current gen GPU to make top ten in the list)
RTX 4070 Laptop
RTX 4060 (2nd highest charting current gen GPU)
RTX 4060 Laptop
RTX 4060 Ti (3rd highest charting current gen GPU)
RTX 4060 Ti Laptop
RX 7900 XTX

RTX 40-series = 9.5% (~3% from last month)
RX 7000 = 0.19% (down .02% from last month)

Good to see current gen GPUs gain close to 3% on the chart from last month :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Xdrive05

RTX 3060 still at #1 AND it also saw the largest percentage jump month over month! But just as interesting, RTX 2060 and RTX 3070 gaining significant share as well.

And the GTX 1060 still refusing to die after all these years....

Finally, the top 20%+ of popular GPUs are in roughly the same tier of performance as the main current gen consoles (say, PS5). If you take the whole survey, it's probably more like, what, 35% or higher that perform similarly or better than the main current gen consoles? That's not bad at all for the PC market to be able to reasonably play new ports from consoles.

Last edited:

Three

Finally, the top 20%+ of popular GPUs are in roughly the same tier of performance as the main current gen consoles (say, PS5). If you take the whole survey, it's probably more like, what, 35% or higher that perform similarly or better than the main current gen consoles? That's not bad at all for the PC market to be able to reasonably play new ports from consoles.

I still remember somebody trying to argue that the most popular steam GPU will be lower spec than a Series S. I kept trying to argue that they're likely to be within range of the PS5/XSX when they launch like almost every gen.

Last edited:

Senua

3060 ti still high up hell yea

Arrested Development Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

dave_d

Anybody want to point out how at least a few tech tubers were claiming the 40 series wasn't selling? Their evidence was "there were no lines for it at launch" or "it's easily available on newegg." (Nvidia iz doomed!) Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to get a 4070ti for $600 but the fact it didn't drop to that price tells me all I need to know on how it's doing per Nvidia's expectations. (Admittedly I take these survey numbers with a grain of salt. I mean the GPU I have, the 3070, jumped up by 1.5%?)

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
PC gaming has lost a lot of its elitism after the spike in GPU prices, but I am personally hungry to see more games push the bleeding edge, so glad to see current gen cards making a dent.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Those are the best for sure.

Kinda weird how even though Nvidia messed up on pricing, people still know they are the go to.

It's what I would recommend for the foreseeable future.

4090 owner since day 1 and likely will be there for the 5090 day 1 as well.

T-Cake

I recently upgraded from a 1070GTX to a 2070RTX. And then I discovered Geforce Now Ultimate.
I'm kind of in the same boat but only 10% of my Steam library (admittedly most of it is probably shovelware) is playable on GFN. I still think I'm going to have to get a 4060(Ti) on Black Friday.

Schmick

I'm kind of in the same boat but only 10% of my Steam library (admittedly most of it is probably shovelware) is playable on GFN. I still think I'm going to have to get a 4060(Ti) on Black Friday.
At the moment, the games that I'm currently playing and will be playing are available (Cities Skylines 2, CP2077, FM2023, Control) so I'm signed up. I've opted for the monthly sub with the idea that I can unsub when I don't need it. Not all games show up in your library though, you have to manually add the games to the GFC games library, for instance Epic Store games don't automatically sync between libraries. So might be worth checking out the current list of supported games.

My PC still runs games pretty well, I play Counter Strike 2 on local hardware as well as Spiderman Remastered (with RTX enabled at 60fps). Mind you I tried Counter Strike 2 on GFN recently and I did pretty well which surprised me.

GFN is for the demanding games. I intend to play Alan Wake 2 that way and I love being able to use my works laptop to play games on my living room sofa. The fact that GFN also supports Gamepass is a big deal for me (and what finally made me make the decision to try it) and I guess MS's solution to support keyboard and mouse support via cloud as opposed to their own xCloud service which only uses console versions of the games. So when FS2024 comes out next year, I'll be able to finally play FS via the cloud with keyboard and mouse support.

Another plus is, I don't have to hear my PC fans at full pelt either.

The only down side with cloud gaming that I have seen (from my perspective) and I use most of them (xCloud, PSN, GFN) is that dark scenes are not streamed well. They can be a bit blocky, not so much that the game is unplayable but its those moment that you realise that you are cloud gaming.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
My 4090 is getting old.., what's the hold up for the 5090, let's ship it already!
Throw Away Make It Rain GIF
With the amount I spent on my 4090 I’m good waiting on the 6090 this time around. Usually I buy every gen but I think I’m gonna sit this next one out!

hinch7

Quite a substantial bump for the 4000 series. Might be a wave of people buying them (plus playing) for Phantom Liberty and Alan Wake 2. The latter game is also bundled with the 4070 tier RTX cards onwards, which helps.

Last edited:

T-Cake

At the moment, the games that I'm currently playing and will be playing are available (Cities Skylines 2, CP2077, FM2023, Control) so I'm signed up. I've opted for the monthly sub with the idea that I can unsub when I don't need it. Not all games show up in your library though, you have to manually add the games to the GFC games library, for instance Epic Store games don't automatically sync between libraries. So might be worth checking out the current list of supported games.

My PC still runs games pretty well, I play Counter Strike 2 on local hardware as well as Spiderman Remastered (with RTX enabled at 60fps). Mind you I tried Counter Strike 2 on GFN recently and I did pretty well which surprised me.

GFN is for the demanding games. I intend to play Alan Wake 2 that way and I love being able to use my works laptop to play games on my living room sofa. The fact that GFN also supports Gamepass is a big deal for me (and what finally made me make the decision to try it) and I guess MS's solution to support keyboard and mouse support via cloud as opposed to their own xCloud service which only uses console versions of the games. So when FS2024 comes out next year, I'll be able to finally play FS via the cloud with keyboard and mouse support.

Another plus is, I don't have to hear my PC fans at full pelt either.

The only down side with cloud gaming that I have seen (from my perspective) and I use most of them (xCloud, PSN, GFN) is that dark scenes are not streamed well. They can be a bit blocky, not so much that the game is unplayable but its those moment that you realise that you are cloud gaming.

Did you go for the top tier? I'm currently playing Talos Principle II but my PC is doing the incredible artwork absolutely no justice at all - everything is set to low. GFN Ultimate is a bit pricey for my liking though but I might just give it a whirl for a month.

Schmick

Did you go for the top tier? I'm currently playing Talos Principle II but my PC is doing the incredible artwork absolutely no justice at all - everything is set to low. GFN Ultimate is a bit pricey for my liking though but I might just give it a whirl for a month.
Yep, I went for the Ultimate tier. That offers a setup with a RTX4080 with 20gb of VRAM and 16 core CPU. So the specs are very good. The cost of the GPU alone will equate to over 5 years of GFN (at current pricing).

I thought of another downside; on occasion might be in a queue to wait for a 'rig'. This has only happened to me once since I have subscribed (over a month).

Give it try. I use GFN on my PC, work laptop and also on my mobile with a Kishi controller.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
RX 7000 = 0.19% (down .02% from last month)

And this folks is why we have top-tier cards costing $1600 despite being more cut down than ever before, as well as $1200 "80"-tier cards.

DaGwaphics

Anybody want to point out how at least a few tech tubers were claiming the 40 series wasn't selling? Their evidence was "there were no lines for it at launch" or "it's easily available on newegg." (Nvidia iz doomed!) Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to get a 4070ti for $600 but the fact it didn't drop to that price tells me all I need to know on how it's doing per Nvidia's expectations. (Admittedly I take these survey numbers with a grain of salt. I mean the GPU I have, the 3070, jumped up by 1.5%?)

If you compare where the 3000 series line was at this point in time (even with the crypto boom), the 4000 series is a disaster. Context is everything.

G-DannY

Those are the best for sure.

Kinda weird how even though Nvidia messed up on pricing, people still know they are the go to.

It's what I would recommend for the foreseeable future.

4090 owner since day 1 and likely will be there for the 5090 day 1 as well.

weird flex

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
People want RTX and DLSS. It's on AMD to catch the fuck up
Oh, I know, and that's what I'm saying. AMD cards selling like turds and being generally inferior to their NVIDIA counterparts is a big reason why prices are so dire.

Usually, people buy AMD cards solely because they are cheaper, not because they are better (except for VRAM) which isn't a viable strategy for AMD.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
AMD’s GPU business is absolutely cooked. I hope Intel presents some real competition soon.

If Battlemage is RTX 4070 - 4070Ti levels of performance, its pretty much end game for AMD.

Rumors were its gonna be closer to the 4070 than the 4070Ti.
Which is still a hell of an achievement and with their driver department running in overdrive, XeSS doing its thing and their RT performance being more than expected.

Im really looking forward to building an all Intel machine nextgen.......for science.
Im still likely gonna need CUDA for work, so my main PC will still be Nvidia powered.

MikeM

Sad to see AMD doing so poorly. Really enjoying my 7900xt- quiet and plenty for 4k gaming for the games I play. Really stable too.

Xdrive05

Sad to see AMD doing so poorly. Really enjoying my 7900xt- quiet and plenty for 4k gaming for the games I play. Really stable too.
It's a serious problem that they're not more competitive in the market. It's the biggest reason why Nvidia continues to get away with abysmal pricing.

As far as I can tell, AMD makes great products that *should* be selling a whole lot better than they are. Marketing is probably a big part of why, but then again AMD gave Nvidia the win by resting on their laurels and letting Nvidia beat them to the "RTX, ML, DLSS" party, and then playing "me too" catch up with that stuff like one or two generations later.

MikeM

It's a serious problem that they're not more competitive in the market. It's the biggest reason why Nvidia continues to get away with abysmal pricing.

As far as I can tell, AMD makes great products that *should* be selling a whole lot better than they are. Marketing is probably a big part of why, but then again AMD gave Nvidia the win by resting on their laurels and letting Nvidia beat them to the "RTX, ML, DLSS" party, and then playing "me too" catch up with that stuff like one or two generations later.
I think what hurt them the most was their launch pricing of the 7900xt and 7900xtx. Way too expensive and made people think “well, Nvidia is only $xxx more. Might as well buy that.”

Elysium44

Banned

AMD products are inferior in functionality. They need to be significantly cheaper to compensate people for settling for second best, but they aren't. Nvidia cards have hardware video encoding (nvenc) which works flawlessly without any hassle.

I stuck with my GTX 1660 from 2019 - 2023 due to Covid, in fact it was still holding up very well as a 1080p card. I got an RTX 3060 (12GB) just as they were being heavily discounted prior to the 4060 release. It will do the trick for another few years at 1080p, and any games which don't run decently (say 60fps at medium) I just won't get those games - I don't need them.

Buggy Loop

ATI was more competitive than AMD and the team's legworks that ensued in the years after the buyout up to mid 2010's I would say was more solid than whatever the fuck we have now

Early 2000's they had engineers in the top 100 game studios around the world for supporting them and adding features. This is the time ATI reached the ~50% market share. Massive layoffs later down the line.

94a2dfe2708f.jpg

First hardware tessellation brought to consumer is ATI in 2001, only for AMD to complain over a decade later that tessellation effects are being too tough. Their successive cards somehow fixed those heavy tessellation effects too, but it's nice being a victim of the technology you invented.

2008, AMD (but basically ATI's legwork) ray tracing real time demo. Would still blow most games out of the water in effects. Outside of the comical animations of that era.

2014. In the wave of gamework titles that favor DX11 for Nvidia cards, where basically Nvidia can fix broken games via drivers still, making it their strength and AMD their weakness as the driver team is smaller, they have mantle.

They're in all consoles at this point. The transfer from console to mantle is low-medium effort, low man hours.

amd_mantle-dx12_port.png

They could have sent hundreds of peoples to help them leverage mantle conversions for a few millions and they would have removed all the advantages Nvidia had by clinching to DX11. No, they dropped everything and saw the consortiums of DX12 & Vulkan pop up and they let competition adjust accordingly with the years it would take for them to implement it. Nvidia left alone to rampage with DX11 and gameworks for years.

Baffling. The numbers of "what it could have been" for AMD nowadays is mind blowing. Now it's in grave danger of just losing marketshare to newcomer Intel.

Leonidas

If you compare where the 3000 series line was at this point in time (even with the crypto boom), the 4000 series is a disaster. Context is everything.
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

40-series October 2023 survey (12-month period) has 9.5% of the survey today.
3 40-series cards are already in the top 20
4090 has 0.62% at this point
4070 has 2.14% at this point
$1000+ GPUs sold consist of 4090/4080 (1.26% of the survey)

30-series October 2021 survey (13-month period, where more cards were launched earlier) had only 8.4% of the survey.
only 2 30-series in the top 20 in 13 months
3090 only had 0.44%, 4090 is 40% higher
3070 only had 1.7%, 4070 is 25% higher despite the 3070 having around 7 more months on the survey by this point...
$1000+ GPUs cosist of 3090/3080 Ti (only .75% of the survey, 40-series has almost 70% more $1000 GPUs percentage wise in a shorter time frame).

40-series is doing a bit better than 30-series in SHS in a shorter amount of time, launch aligned.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Sad to see AMD doing so poorly.
I'm lovin' it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Serves them right for the crypto pricing, calling the top 3-SKUs a 7900, flooding the market with RDNA2 cards, delaying their mid-range by 3/4 of a year, discounting last gen making new gen look bad, trying to charge $300 for a 7600 before quickly changing it to $270, unlaunching HYPER-RX Anti-Lag+, high power draw and mediocre RT performance.

The reason AMD cards aren't selling well is because they are not cheap enough in relation to Nvidia. They have to be at least 20% cheaper than Nvidia for lack of features/worse upscaling.

They tried with the 7800 XT, but Nvidia just lowered the price enough to still seemingly get the bulk of sales.

Nvidia pricing isn't abymsal. Look at the highest selling card this gen, 4070. You can easily pick it up for $550 today. Only 10% more than the 7800 XT but it gives you better RT, much better upscaling, much better path tracing, better efficiency, and other features.

AMD probably needs to be 20-33% cheaper than Nvidia, but Nvidia won't allow that to happen. If Nvidia was so overpriced this would be easy...

Last edited:

Stamps1646

I have a 4070Ti (vendor discount), which I upgraded from a 2070S earlier this year.

Higher frame rates, RT, and high settings have been a welcome change that has been satisfying to experience.

With the amount I spent on my 4090 I’m good waiting on the 6090 this time around. Usually I buy every gen but I think I’m gonna sit this next one out!
Yup, same here with my 3090. Nvidia wants me to spend $1600+ on a video card, that's fine I'll just sit out every other generation to amortize the cost

hinch7

If Battlemage is RTX 4070 - 4070Ti levels of performance, its pretty much end game for AMD.

Rumors were its gonna be closer to the 4070 than the 4070Ti.
Which is still a hell of an achievement and with their driver department running in overdrive, XeSS doing its thing and their RT performance being more than expected.

Im really looking forward to building an all Intel machine nextgen.......for science.
Im still likely gonna need CUDA for work, so my main PC will still be Nvidia powered.
Next year should be a good year for mid range buyers. 4070 refresh vs Battlemage vs RDNA 4. Should see some good competitve prices by Q2, I think.

Be interested to see if Intel makes a comparative frame gen technology. XeSS is nearly on par with DLSS 2. And their RT performance is pretty decent for their iteration of Arc.

Quixz

Yup, same here with my 3090. Nvidia wants me to spend $1600+ on a video card, that's fine I'll just sit out every other generation to amortize the cost

It is a trip hazard and a bit heavy to be honest

wjIjFt4.jpg

please fund Jensen's next jacket LOL :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

40-series October 2023 survey (12-month period) has 9.5% of the survey today.
3 40-series cards are already in the top 20
4090 has 0.62% at this point
4070 has 2.14% at this point
$1000+ GPUs sold consist of 4090/4080 (1.26% of the survey)

30-series October 2021 survey (13-month period, where more cards were launched earlier) had only 8.4% of the survey.
only 2 30-series in the top 20 in 13 months
3090 only had 0.44%, 4090 is 40% higher
3070 only had 1.7%, 4070 is 25% higher despite the 3070 having around 7 more months on the survey by this point...
$1000+ GPUs cosist of 3090/3080 Ti (only .75% of the survey, 40-series has almost 70% more $1000 GPUs percentage wise in a shorter time frame).

40-series is doing a bit better than 30-series in SHS in a shorter amount of time, launch aligned.

You got me, at one point they were way behind, I guess the price corrections have helped. Or too many of the Geforce now machines are hitting the survey. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And this folks is why we have top-tier cards costing $1600 despite being more cut down than ever before, as well as $1200 "80"-tier cards.

No, that's because AMD is terrible at competing, despite knowing exactly what they need to do to compete.

I'm not going to buy their products out of pity.

I say this as someone with a 4090 who would have once donated money to AMD to see them in a better place.

We can only pray now that Intel brings the heat.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm lovin' it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Serves them right for ....discounting last gen making new gen look bad
What? You are really stanning for Nvidia so much that you think they deserve good karma for keeping GPU prices artificially high?

Leonidas

What? You are really stanning for Nvidia so much that you think they deserve good karma for keeping GPU prices artificially high?
Is that the only thing you're gonna call out from that post? Those deep discount midrange RDNA2 cards made RDNA3 midrange cards look bad. If it wasn't for RDNA2 on deep 40% discount, RDNA3 would have seemed pretty damn good.

Nvidia pricing today isn't bad. 4070 is only 10% more than the 7800 XT and you get all the benefits that come with having a 40-series card...

Last edited:
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Why aren't you blaming AMD for not heavily undercutting Nvidia? AMD looks at Nvidia's prices and purposefully only prices $100-200 below what Nvidia charges. The reality is AMD straight up likes Nvidia's prices and keeps their prices high too to ensure that they also make as much as they can.

I was in this survey! Upgraded from a 1080 to a 4070ti earlier this year on a decent sale. DLSS3 is black magic and made the jump worth it.

DaGwaphics

40-series was always ahead of 30-series on the survey (launch aligned) in terms of $1000+ GPUs % usage.

I don's see how them jacking up the prices has much to do with anything. Not that it matters a lot what any of these companies do on a chart without hard sales number, obviously buyers eventually have to buy something even when the options available aren't great.

Leonidas

I don's see how them jacking up the prices has much to do with anything.
Its not about them jacking up the prices.

30 and 40 series GPU share similar price points

$1500-$1600 3090/4090 4090 charted better
$1200 3080 Ti/4080 4080 charted better
$500-$600 3070/4070 4070 charted better
$400/$400 3060 Ti/4060 Ti I didn't check the data at this point but they are probably close (if launch aligned)
$300/$330 4060/3060 I didn't check the data at this point but they are probably close (if launch aligned)'

If you simply look month by month the 30-series should be higher, since they launched more GPUs earlier. The fact that 40-series charted higher already is a good sign for the 40-series.

Top Bottom