• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam September 2023 GPU Hardware Survey. Current Gen GPU watch.

Leonidas

RTX cards are now over 46% of the chart.

All Nvidia 40-series cards already made the list. No new RX 7000 entries.

RTX 4060, 4060 Ti and 4070 were the current gen GPUs with the biggest % gains this month.

Current gen GPUs on the list include

RTX 4090 (3rd highest charting current gen desktop GPU)
RTX 4080
RTX 4070 Ti (2nd highest charting current gen desktop GPU)
RTX 4070 (highest charting current gen desktop GPU: overtook both the 4090 and 4070 Ti)
RTX 4070 Laptop
RTX 4060
RTX 4060 Laptop (highest charting current gen laptop GPU, most likely will become the first current gen GPU to make top ten in the list)
RTX 4060 Ti
RTX 4050 Laptop
RX 7900 XTX

RTX 40-series = 6.7% (+1% from last month)
RX 7000 = 0.2% (same as last month)

Good to see current gen GPUs gain ~1% on the chart from last month.

Last edited:

phant0m

isn't the 4060 kinda trash though?

I'd just be happy for more games to push my 3080. Cyberpunk + BG3 are kinda the only thing that really pushes visuals; other games will have high utilization at 60 fps but it's usually due to poor optimization.

Reallink

4090 at 3rd highest of the generation, outselling the 3090's LTD by 50% in less than a year with no artificial crypto demand, has to be the biggest success story and highest profit consumer product in Nvidia's history. It has already outsold every Titan card combined many times over, and will ultimately dwarf every halo card combined. Every 4090 sell probably nets them as much profit as 25x 4060 sales. You will NEVER again see sub-$1000 XX80 or XX80Ti cards that are 10-15% cut downs of the XX102 dies. The gamers have spoken and they've whole heartedly supported the $1600 GPU.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
4090 at 3rd highest of the generation, outselling the 3090's LTD by 50% in less than a year with no artificial crypto demand, has to be the biggest success story and highest profit consumer product in Nvidia's history. It has already outsold every Titan card combined many times over, and will ultimately dwarf every halo card combined. Every 4090 sell probably nets than as much profit as 25x 4060 sales. You will NEVER again see sub-$1000 XX80 or XX80Ti cards that are 10-15% cut downs of the XX102 dies. The gamers have spoken and they've whole heartedly supported the $1600 GPU.
Maybe, maybe not.

At least it's just gamers buying these cards.

Leonidas

isn't the 4060 kinda trash though?

I'd just be happy for more games to push my 3080. Cyberpunk + BG3 are kinda the only thing that really pushes visuals; other games will have high utilization at 60 fps but it's usually due to poor optimization.
Its the best current gen GPU under $300, though its competition is the 7600 so that's not really saying much.

At least it's just gamers buying these cards.
That's one thing I liked about this generation, I had to go through a lot of trouble to get an MSRP card last gen, this gen it was easy, and it came with a free game too :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

bobone

4090 at 3rd highest of the generation, outselling the 3090's LTD by 50% in less than a year with no artificial crypto demand, has to be the biggest success story and highest profit consumer product in Nvidia's history. It has already outsold every Titan card combined many times over, and will ultimately dwarf every halo card combined. Every 4090 sell probably nets them as much profit as 25x 4060 sales. You will NEVER again see sub-$1000 XX80 or XX80Ti cards that are 10-15% cut downs of the XX102 dies. The gamers have spoken and they've whole heartedly supported the $1600 GPU.
You're 100% correct. But its a sad truth for PC gamers.

The only explanation I can think of is streamers, and wanna-be streamers making up a large part of the market?
There has to be something to explain it because previous cards that were ridiculously overpriced never sold well.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Only thing that will bring them down to earth is competition, and AMD can’t hack it. Hopefully Intel does high end cards at some point.

Leonidas

You're 100% correct. But its a sad truth for PC gamers.
I don't think that it is sad. I'm happy as long as I keep getting at least a 25% performance improvement in my price range.

There has to be something to explain it because previous cards that were ridiculously overpriced never sold well.
One explanation why $1200-$1600 Nvidia cards are selling well now is that there is a reason to buy them, they are significantly faster than the cheaper cards and Nvidia is no longer giving away top tier performance at a fraction of the cost like they did with 980 Ti/1080 Ti/3080 10G

the absolute state of "budget" GPUs now.
I don't think it's that bad. 2080 level performance for $280-$300 isn't terrible. The thing that makes this generation seem less impressive is the fact that AMD cards in that performance tier dropped 40% off of MSRP. If RDNA2 cards never dropped 40% off then this generation would look better at the low end.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
2080 level performance for $280-$300 isn't terrible.
it isn't. it's actually really good.
it's 2080 level performance with 1070 level specs that piss me off. 8gb of ram, 128/192 bit bus. easy way to kill off what should otherwise be a great card. If we got a 4060 with a 384 bit bus, 16 gb of ram, higher bandwidth throughput, all at a more reasonable price of 260 dollars, we'd be living.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Depressing time to be into PC gaming.

1. RTX 5000 series release date will likely be pushed back.
2. Even if it isn't, it will likely be as expensive (if not more expensive) than RTX 4000 counterparts.
3. Performance will likely still suck for what you're paying for.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I really thought AMD was gonna give Nvidia a solid run after the 6000 series. Flew too close to the sun, son. Intel is our only hope to be an end to this insanity. Nvidia has the mark in a complete chokehold.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I really thought AMD was gonna give Nvidia a solid run after the 6000 series. Flew too close to the sun, son. Intel is our only hope to be an end to this insanity. Nvidia has the mark in a complete chokehold.
The pricing held them back. They cant be within $50-100 without dlss and awful ray tracing support. they needed to be $300-400 cheaper.

But AMD wants profits over market penetration. what they dont realize is that every year they release overpriced GPUs, they lose a customer to Nvidia potentially for life.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The pricing held them back. They cant be within $50-100 without dlss and awful ray tracing support. they needed to be $300-400 cheaper.

But AMD wants profits over market penetration. what they dont realize is that every year they release overpriced GPUs, they lose a customer to Nvidia potentially for life.
AMD consistently charges high prices for subpar GPUs. Which is what I really don't get. these AMD GPUs, having less features and less specialized hardware than Nvidia cards, surely must be super fucking cheap to manufacture. They could've turned heads had they relased the 7900xtx at 500 dollars or so. It sounds ridiculous but when you're competing with Nvidia they should be doing that much to even get a 10% of the market.

And as for Intel....

81hkev.jpg

Reallink

I don't think it's that bad. 2080 level performance for $280-$300 isn't terrible. The thing that makes this generation seem less impressive is the fact that AMD cards in that performance tier dropped 40% off of MSRP. If RDNA2 cards never dropped 40% off then this generation would look better at the low end.

The 2080 is older than an entire console generation my guy. Matter of fact a 3 year old $399 console is pretty much par with a 2080. They quite literally couldn't make it anymore terrible, it's the smallest and lowest end die they can produce that wouldn't qualify as e-waste.

Last edited:
"The gamers have spoken"

No just 5% of them. But I suppose on an enthusiast forum the other 95% doesn't count.

bobone

One explanation why $1200-$1600 Nvidia cards are selling well now is that there is a reason to buy them, they are significantly faster than the cheaper cards and Nvidia is no longer giving away top tier performance at a fraction of the cost like they did with 980 Ti/1080 Ti/3080 10G

The problem for me is that the 980, 1080, 3080 were all still profitable at their price points.
The current prices are absolutely ridiculous. The entire 40 series is terrible; except the 4090. Nvidia must have doubled or tripled their profit margins.

I've been PC gaming since before video cards even existed and prices have never increased the way they are now. Especially for such a pathetic increase in performance.
There has always been a massive improvement over each generation, and a modest increase in price. Some generations there was actually a decrease in price.

The fact that its a debate if AMD's NEW 7800 is even better than the OLD 6800 should tell you how stagnant their products are now. Yet everyone seems to be happy to buy them.

Reallink

The problem for me is that the 980, 1080, 3080 were all still profitable at their price points.
The current prices are absolutely ridiculous. The entire 40 series is terrible; except the 4090. Nvidia must have doubled or tripled their profit margins.

I've been PC gaming since before video cards even existed and prices have never increased the way they are now. Especially for such a pathetic increase in performance.
There has always been a massive improvement over each generation, and a modest increase in price. Some generations there was actually a decrease in price.

The fact that its a debate if AMD's NEW 7800 is even better than the OLD 6800 should tell you how stagnant their products are now. Yet everyone seems to be happy to buy them.
As was evidenced during Covid when people were fighting each other to pay $2000 for 3080's, pay $20,000 OVER sticker for every man cars 6 months in advance, and paying hundreds of thousands OVER listing for houses sight unseen, companies have been awoken to how many people have a LOT of money, and how many are happy to spend it. And it turns out they were right, people bought out $1800 GPU's in less than 1 minute for over 8 months (for actual use, not artificial crypto demand), grocery stores shelves are routinely picked clean of products that are literally double what they were a couple years ago, and car lots are building out $115,000 Jeep Wagoneer's and Toyota Sequoia's like they're kid's toys. "First World' economies are not controlled by the poors or the elites, but the critical mass of upper middle and lower upper "professional class" households who earn 2, 3, 4 hundred thousand a year. Companies have realized selling to this upper 30-40% of affluence is far more profitable than selling to the bottom 60%-70%. This is the strategy that propelled Apple to 3 trillion dollars. Like I mentioned earlier, every $1800 4090 sell nets as much profit as 25-30 4060's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom