• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

Call me the curious type, but I'm wondering what sort of trap it is. But I'm one of those people who will think something bad and tell myself not to say it, but then tell others I thought something bad and have to tell it to them anyways.

I was kidding!

While Rhaknar is clearly a dangerous person IRL, on the internet is actually an ok guy. :D

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was kidding!

While Rhaknar is clearly a dangerous person IRL, on the internet is actually an ok guy. :D

I know, I talk to him on occasion both here and on Steam. I need to pay him back already though as he got me Batman Origins during the Summer Sale when I had no money.

yuraya

How do the russians convert the keys back into money? Do people actually buy the keys to use them? Or are they selling the keys to people buying keys to trade for games and then repeating?

The same way people launder or send money across the internet for any other circumstance. Paypal, etc.

Just think of this key stuff as a reserve currency. The market is for the most part stable so if you properly hustle keys, items, cards than the biggest benefit is just alternate way of funding your steam wallet. And of course some go as far as personal wallet gain also.

And its not just Russians. Anyone can put up trades/offers to get rid of games or anything else they don't want in their steam inventory. People from the former USSR just do it more than anyone else because they get better deals dollar wise on most games.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
In other depressing news, any takers to bet what disappointment will Humble provide today? No new gaming bundle? Mobile only? Origin bundle rerun with no Steam keys this time?

Don't think we'll be seeing a new main bundle from them for a while. All their recent bundles and especially the "daily" ones flopped pretty hard. They're probably in talks with indies/big pubs to host a good HIB or publisher specific bundle and get everyone on their good side again

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I want them to make a Canadian Humble Bundle, as Canadian Day happened last week and totally not any other important holidays that might get a patriotic bundle.

Phone Wallpaper Bundle.

In other depressing news, any takers to bet what disappointment will Humble provide today? No new gaming bundle? Mobile only? Origin bundle rerun with no Steam keys this time?

last HIB they tried to hype it over twitter and while i dont use twitter i'm assuming there hasnt been anything or it would have been posted already

Knurek

So, a month before my wedding, I'm asking MarriedGAF how they manage to keep their hobby intact after hitching with their significant other.

I'd really like to keep playing games and, preferably, not join DivorcedGAF anytime soon. Any tips you're willing to share? Fiancee is a non-gamer, but is uninterested rather than repulsed by them (although she liked what little I have shown her of The Witcher 2).

Don't think we'll be seeing a new main bundle from them for a while. All their recent bundles and especially the "daily" ones flopped pretty hard. They're probably in talks with indies/big pubs to host a good HIB or publisher specific bundle and get everyone on their good side again

I...want to believe.

Dr Dogg

What irked me about that sequence of events is that TCR completely discarded the idea of crowdfunding. If the studio had attempted a Kickstarter run (or whatever) but failed to the meet the goal, then I'd say there would have been a much less vitriolic reaction to the news of PS4 exclusivity.

Yeah something doesn't sit right there. I first heard about Dear Esther when it was a mod and then it took 3 or 4 years after to become a full standalone release. That sounds surprisingly like a candidate for Steam Early Access to me. Crowdfunding, exposure and word of mouth all in one place. That bad apples get found out and the great games get exposure. No Man's Sky could be a great candidate for early access and become another darling like Kerbal Space Programme. I get their decisions but sometimes their reasoning just doesn't add up.

So, a month before my wedding, I'm asking MarriedGAF how they manage to keep their hobby intact after hitching with their significant other.

I'd really like to keep playing games and, preferably, not join DivorcedGAF anytime soon. Any tips you're willing to share? Fiancee is a non-gamer, but is uninterested rather than repulsed by them (although she liked what little I have shown her of The Witcher 2).

You showed her the sex scenes from Witcher 2 didn't you?

I only have one year
as of 2 days ago
under my belt, but you just have to manage your time. There will definitely be less time gaming, but if you give her the proper attention, there shouldn't be an issue if you want to disappear for an hour or so to game.

It's all about balance.

Oh, and welcome to the club! Congrats! My wedding + honeymoon was probably the best 10 day stretch I've been through, hope yours is the same.

thanks Dusk and MM :D
one last weird request - anyone got that spirited away feels gif (the one with waves of feels)

google 'feels wave gif', should be any size you need.

Arthea

I would be somewhat interested in that

but not even cards?! booo

I have it on good authority that the bundle will launch at some point between now and Half-Life 3.

I really need that, as I don't have single fridge magnet, always give them away to various people!
I also think that HL3 will happen, somewhere around 2020, so we are getting our fridge magnets in couple of years.

Copons

I'd really like to keep playing games and, preferably, not join DivorcedGAF anytime soon. Any tips you're willing to share? Fiancee is a non-gamer, but is uninterested rather than repulsed by them.

Eh, I was going to answer that I bought her Civ IV, but then I got to the last paragraph. :(

But, actually, I'm gonna say it nonetheless: if you are lucky enough to find a game she's interested in, you may live happily ever after.
In my case, Civ IV (she passed 100 hours in like 2 months) or Cook Serve Delicious, or even Papers Please, or Sims 3 before we met (now it's strictly forbidden because I find it distressing and I'm scared by it :'( ).
All of these games basically allow me to 100% a JRPG before she even notices I've been playing for 3 weeks. :D

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Well, I'm not married but surely you can just keep doing what you're doing now until other responsibilities present themselves? If your fiancee is ok with your current level of gaming then why would that change when you're married? To be on the safe side I'd say cut it down by about 50-75% so it looks like you're making more of an effort, but I'm sure you'd want to spend time with her rather than playing games all the time anyway.

The bigger upset is if you start a family or something. I'm trying to get my coworker to lend me his PS4 by convincing him he'll never have time for games again after him having a baby recently. The pained expression on his face as he tries to justify owning it knowing that he won't have time to use it for the next year or so is pretty amusing.

StAidan

My wife is basically a non-gamer, but since meeting me she has enjoyed the occasional round of Mario Kart, Wii Sports, NSMB, and Donkey Kong Country. Even when she doesn't game with me, though, I try to do most of my gaming in the same room with her so she doesn't feel isolated. (Steam Home Streaming helps with this, too.)

aku:jiki

Unless Knurek is entering an arranged marriage or his girlfriend is already 8.5 months pregnant, I fail to see how marriage is going to change anything. If she doesn't want to spend every waken moment together now, she's not going to want to do it in 3 months either. And if she suddenly does, get her into a hobby she likes. People can't be glued to each other, that over-dependance is how you end up divorced.

And my money is no Humble at all. Seems like they're on summer hiatus or something.

Tenrius

Put 20 hours into Original Sin already. Excellent stuff. Those who also liked it should pay attention to the previous games in series — they are of similarly high quality.

Unless Knurek is entering an arranged marriage or his girlfriend is already 8.5 months pregnant, I fail to see how marriage is going to change anything. If she doesn't want to spend every waken moment together now, she's not going to want to do it in 3 months either. And if she suddenly does, get her into a hobby she likes. People can't be glued to each other, that over-dependance is how you end up divorced.

With marriage comes responsibilities whether you like it or not. If they are already living together it probably won't change as much, but saying 'marriage wont change anything' is just false.

If nothing changes...you are pretty lucky.

Jawmuncher

I sure hope so.
Though the RPG Maker weekly was pretty nice.

Whooo, just bought CS:GO for 3 dota 2 keys. Gonna join SteamGAF in the carnage as soon as summer break hits.

You can never be prepared.
For how much most of us suck

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, including my GF in this hobby is way more entertaining than dropping it for her. She is pretty picky with what she wants from games, but it does make it quite rewarding when I pick something out that really grabs her.

I woke up happy and with good humor so I am hoping for a good Humble Indie Bundle without games previously bundled on it.

Knurek

With marriage comes responsibilities whether you like it or not. If they are already living together it probably won't change as much, but saying 'marriage wont change anything' is just false.
If nothing changes...you are pretty lucky.

Yeah, it's gonna be different, that I'm sure of. Especially since we have each their own flats, so haven't really spent extensive amount of time together so far (I don't really count 'two weeks' as being extensive).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, it's gonna be different, that I'm sure of. Especially since we have each their own flats, so haven't really spent extensive amount of time together so far (I don't really count 'two weeks' as being extensive).

Ah, yeah that changes a lot then. I've been living with my girlfriend for about 4 or 5 years now so we've pretty much got the balance down, i.e. I don't play a lot of games anymore.

Dr Dogg

My missus' (past and present) involvement in this hobby is usually passive and directing me where to go and telling me what to do in a sofa co-op kind of way. So just like everything else then :/

Probably the same deal as with Skulls of the Shogun Win8 exclusivity - moneyhats or false reading of the market on the devs part.
How well that worked for Plush Apocalypse, I wonder...

Yeah reading the 17 Bit story about the Win8 Store decision makes it sound like they signed a pact with the devil. I know no dev is going to come out and say exactly why but spouting a load of nonsense sometimes doesn't help either. Just "we're exclusive to X. Sorry but it's business" is better than making excuses. Well for me anyhow.

Then there will definitely be an adjustment period. Hopefully she understands that this is your hobby. Asking you to completely give it up isn't a recipe for a good start. Best thing is if you can find a game she enjoys as well, or even if she has another hobby that she enjoys doing (with or without you).

Best of luck dude. Know that most of us here went through the same thing at some point to lend advice if need be.

One of us.

I'd like to start other games, but there's this NCR run I've got to do in Fallout New Vegas....

200 hours already, why not?

Edit: My lady friend stopped playing games at Halo but has no qualms with my "hobby". I please her enough and she's got plenty of books to read.

Knurek

Yeah, including my GF in this hobby is way more entertaining than dropping it for her. She is pretty picky with what she wants from games, but it does make it quite rewarding when I pick something out that really grabs her.

Yeah, not planning on dropping gaming, but don't feel the need to force my hobbies on her as well - we have already other stuff to do together, it's always good to have some 'me time' things to do too.

Best of luck dude. Know that most of us here went through the same thing at some point to lend advice if need be.
One of us.

Oh, worry not, I'm cautiously optimistic myself. We've been together a few years and generally there's not much cause for concern, but still, I know people can change after things 'get real'.

sheaaaa

You can't possibly do everything together, every day. You should still have time to yourself, after you're done with work and other responsibilities. Use that time to play games.

Shit guys, help me. I bought a game on Nuuvem and after I paid via paypal there was no payment confirmation. Paypal however registered the transaction.
I bought two games there before and the payment confirmation always came immediately, together with the confirmation mail from paypal.
The new game isn't listed in my account either. What now?

So what is the deal with the Russian steam that people seem to talk about. Is stuff there cheaper or something?

You should ask yourself why Witcher 3 just is like 16$ there ;)

On another note. I played a bit of Blade Symphony and it really is fun. The matches are short, but intense. Though somehow I always won on the asian servers even though these were my first matches...

Hugstable

Banned
You should ask yourself why Witcher 3 just is like 16$ there ;)

On another note. I played a bit of Blade Symphony and it really is fun. The matches are short, but intense. Though somehow I always won on the asian servers even though these were my first matches...

Ha I went into a match not knowjng what the hell was going on or what i was supposed to do... and I won my first duel! But then I promptly got my ass whooped by the next guy.

But I take it take everything on the Russian steam is region locked then because of the prices?

95% of the games dont have a gift regionlock. Thats why the keytrade business is so great. Witcher 3 for 17$? Cool.

(Though I guess soon CDPR could implement a gifting regionlock for Witcher 3)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JaseC, +1 for loliSaoirse.
Needs more tentacles though

Haha, I just realised I only made one avatar from the V&D premiere and figured I'd change that. ;)

But I take it take everything on the Russian steam is region locked then because of the prices?

Region-locking has become increasingly common over the past few years, but speaking more broadly the vast majority of items are not region-locked.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I want bacon and eggs. Someone please bring me bacon and eggs.
LLShC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom