• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I have Setsuna preordered at GMG. Not sure if it's 40 bucks (or 32 at GMG) worthy. Not sure if I see it finding a huge audience on PC (or even in the west in general) but hey, it's nice to see a Japanese Square product actually launching on time and not some vague delayed port.

I think it will do alright in the long run but wont set the world on fire. The game is low budget so its not like there is a lot to lose.

The GTX 1070, is nice, I don't have much to test it as of late but I can run anything on 1080p graphically now though. Might get a better monitor later I suppose.

Grief.exe

Needs to get exceptional reviews for me to consider it right now.

At the pace of games getting released on PC, it's a requirement for a product to be exceptional to even get noticed. So many great games released at such an incredible pace that there are limited means to get noticed otherwise.

AAA games can still have mediocre releases sell well by pumping tens of millions into their marketing budgets. Fallout 4 easily comes to mind, but happens quite frequently.

BHK3

Banned
I am sure a poorly optimized game will come out this year that I won't be able to run.

(I hope not but, you know who knows now a days.)

try lords of the fallen, final fantasy XIII, and warhammer vermintide. If you can run those with good framepacing at 1080-60 all maxed I'd be impressed.

Nzyme32

I really think VR needs more "normal" titles.

Most of the things coming out not from Oculus studios sadly are more like Tech demos or these "experiences". The Assembly comes out soon though, but it really needs more "games".
The same happened to PSVR. The newly announced things we saw besides RE7 at E3 were mostly just minigames.
A Batman Minigame.
A FFXV arena minigame...

Frankly I think this has to be expected for the medium. No one knows what they are doing or how to make a "game" of significant size, and this is compounded by the minuscule audience available to earn money from. In that sense it seems reasonable to see this now, in a medium that can experiment and distribute that easily, with investment running up towards more large scale VR titles in a couple of years as the audience is there to make it feasible. That's kind of why it isn't worthwhile for the majority to get involved till maybe next year or the year after.

book of unwritten tales 2 is pissing me off right now on one of its puzzle. i need to get this machine into green on its gage and i have yet its not letting me move one

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
1080p? What is this, 2008?

I'm getting a Asus 1080 and don't plan on upgrading my monitor for a good while since it has a great response time. Which is fine I can just downsample and looking at my dad's 4k TV and trying Dark Souls 3 on ti I don't really see it as a huge upgrade to me. If I do get a new monitor it'd probably just be a 1440p ultra-wide.

Grief.exe

I'm getting a Asus 1080 and don't plan on upgrading my monitor for a good while. :p It's fine I can just down-sample and looking at my dad's 4k TV I don't really see it as a huge upgrade to me. If I do get a new monitor it'd probably just be a 1440p ultra-wide.

I'm going to assume you are watching upscaled 1080p/1080i content on that 4K TV. For one thing, 4K content availability is minimal, but for the most part, I have trouble believing that you are looking at native 4K content and not seeing a massive upgrade.
Anecdotally, my wife has commented on how much nicer my 1440p monitor looks over our 1080p multiple times and she could care less about gaming. She's also been extremely impressed with4K content at Cost-Co and she doesnt even know what resolution is. You can see why I'm extremely doubtful.

1440p is a good middle ground at the moment since single GPU cards have trouble driving games at 4K at respectable frame rates, though the 1080 is basically there.

Hektor

It's possible to get POTG's as symmetra?
Uys1e9M.jpg

Really awkward, cos i didn't do anything in the vid, it was all my turrets.

Frankly I think this has to be expected for the medium. No one knows what they are doing or how to make a "game" of significant size, and this is compounded by the minuscule audience available to earn money from. In that sense it seems reasonable to see this now, in a medium that can experiment and distribute that easily, with investment running up towards more large scale VR titles in a couple of years as the audience is there to make it feasible. That's kind of why it isn't worthwhile for the majority to get involved till maybe next year or the year after.

The thing is that it shouldnt stay in that "niche" too long. Right now every day I go on Steam and see new VR titles, that look like Shovelware.

I wonder what happened to the titles that were developed when the DK1 came out. I remember a lot of indiedevs were developing games for it, but seems nothing came out of it sadly.

I'm going to assume you are watching upscaled 1080p/1080i content on that 4K TV. For one thing, 4K content availability is minimal, but for the most part, I have trouble believing that you are looking at native 4K content and not seeing a massive upgrade.
Anecdotally, my wife has commented on how much nicer my 1440p monitor looks over our 1080p multiple times and she could care less about gaming. She's also been extremely impressed with4K content at Cost-Co and she doesnt even know what resolution is. You can see why I'm extremely doubtful.

1440p is a good middle ground at the moment since single GPU cards have trouble driving games at 4K at respectable frame rates, though the 1080 is basically there.

4K content is super great but like you said. Sadly almost nothing is out now besides games, some demo videos and some Netflix/Amazon shows with a low bitrate.
The demo videos are totally impressive when I watched them the first time on my TV. You can see people walking on the street while the film is shot from a mountain 1km away.

Japanese games also run quite well in 4k.

Anteater

It's like Doom and Doom 2, except slow and boring. Exactly how I like my Doom games.

i've actually never played doom 1 and 2, i saw my technician who was supposed to be doing his work at our junior high school playing doom 1 so it never left a great impression on me

dex3108

If you like X-Files and/or Twin Peaks you should watch Stranger Things on Netflix :D Dontnod could also do game for this and it would be great :D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I just don't think it's worth the investment right now and also I had a UHD Blu-Ray of Deadpool that I tested and I find 1080 completely acceptable in comparison.
I'm not saying it's not an improvement but I don't think it's enough of an improvement to the point I'd invest in it right now while it's still gaining adoption and costs are high for a decent monitor since I'm not made of money.
I found SD->HD transition much more worthwhile at the time and I just don't really feel that way for UHD.

rtcn63

Doom 2016 is definitely a love or leave it sort of game. I didn't enjoy the core gameplay enough for it to carry me all the way through.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

The 1080 is a ways away from what I consider to be respectable framerates with a lot of the higher-end games with the settings cranked. I'd like a card with twice the power to be honest.

Amzin

Just finished the Dreadful Crimes DLC for AC: Syndicate, was NOT expecting that final mission, damn. Albeit the finale of that mission didn't make much sense but otherwise the whole DLC was quality. Doesn't hurt that I love all things Holmesian.

At some point I'll have to do the Jack the Ripper and the post-end missions. I've only played AC Blackflag seriously before this, I like Syndicate a lot more, although they're pretty different in some regards.

I'm on a roll of finishing off Backlog/new games though!

Anteater

you can complain about everything else in doom3 but the clickable monitor is the shit tho

bestd1jlu.jpg

but what in the flying fuck is a plasma conduit error replacement

Nabs

i'm sure it'll be poop

but maybe i could find some insight after playing through 1 and 2

max payne 1+2 were great but the weapon switching is so bad lol

I think i improved it a bit. I made it so you can just hold down a touch menu button to cycle through the weapons. It automatically pulls it out when you let go: https://streamable.com/m200

I would have done this sooner, but I'm still learning how to use activators.

Anteater

I think i improved it a bit. I made it so you can just hold down a touch menu button to cycle through the weapons. It automatically pulls it out when you let go: https://streamable.com/m200

I would have done this sooner, but I'm still learning how to use activators.

oo that's actually cool but i still blame it on the weapon switching with the game, it's heavily based on scrolling, the touch menu is incredibly confusing and slow no matter what because it's so different than the ingame menu, unless valve actually allows you to customize the menu shape, it's cool tho, I played through both games with your config lol

Kiru

The GTX 1070, is nice, I don't have much to test it as of late but I can run anything on 1080p graphically now though. Might get a better monitor later I suppose.

Which one did you get. Still can't decide between Palit or MSI. Palit seems to run more quiet (3 slot card after all) but the cooler is kinda ugly and Palit offers 1 year less warranty. MSI is still quiet compared to the other brands and in some reviews they also seem close or on par in terms of noise. But MSI is also a bit more expensive...
decisions... :(

Anteater

I played a bit of SiN from my friend's account (yay family sharing, else I wouldn't have a chance to play it)

It's like a poor man's half-life 2 that actually feels kind of sucky

go for it. MP3 is the best third person shooter still.

i definitely will even tho I still think i'll hate it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom