• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
- hey Hakluyt what do you call these things?

- these are the dead which the Phisistians and Apothecaries doe against our willes make us to swallow

- idk they reminded me of when I was a kid and I stayed up watching over my sleeping... MUMMY

- fuck thee

image.php

- hey Hakluyt what do you call these things?

- these are the dead which the Phisistians and Apothecaries doe against our willes make us to swallow

- idk they reminded me of when I was a kid and I stayed up watching over my sleeping... MUMMY

- fuck thee

"All the old paintings on the tombs...they do the sand dance. Don't you know?"

Messiah

The only thing I see for Arc Sys + Revelations google search is Xrd Revelator

Yeah that's what I was getting at, could it be the first version we get close to the console release? Sure hope so.

Melty Blood release date maybe? Would be great if they announce something new though.
Maybe another infopost like they did last time with release date announcements and further games they are working on bringing over.
Excited whatever it may be. Looking forward to their output.

Armageddon

Neo Member
I can't seem to find any concrete info on this. I did come across one person complaining about a VAC ban thanks to his brother, but it's entirely possible said brother was banned first and then he took to the Family Sharing account to continue.

Thanks for doing some additional research. The problem is as you say though, there is no real concrete information on pretty much anything regarding VAC.

This whole situation has taken a lot out of me and makes me question any further purchases from Valve in the future. It's even dampened my excitement for the Vive I pre-ordered because now I feel like I'm supporting a company that screwed me over. Is it too much to ask for some support from Valve in this situation? I guess in Valve's eyes it's OK to screw over %0.01 of their customers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for doing some additional research. The problem is as you say though, there is no real concrete information on pretty much anything regarding VAC.

This whole situation has taken a lot out of me and makes me question any further purchases from Valve in the future. It's even dampened my excitement for the Vive I pre-ordered because now I feel like I'm supporting a company that screwed me over. Is it too much to ask for some support from Valve in this situation? I guess in Valve's eyes it's OK to screw over %0.01 of their customers.

I've submitted a support ticket asking for clarification as to who exactly bears the brunt of a ban when the game in question was accessed via Family Sharing. What you said does make the most sense (the account owner copping a ban as per the rules and the person who initiated the hack also being banned, because, well, they initiated the hack), but, yeah, there's no relevant info on the Steam Support site and searching for it via Google is difficult.

rtcn63

I wouldn't recommend The Division single-player sersha. Although you do seem to like Ubi open-world games, so who knows.

The game world is barren, the encounters become repetitive and tiresome after a few hours, and the weapons don't really change. A level 15 shotgun feels and plays the same as a level 1 shotgun. The difficulty is arguably uneven (normal is too easy and hard can go to shit when orange enemies appear). There's just not enough of the variety that normally makes loot-based games addictive.

MUnited83

For you.
Yes, when I first saw the ban I also thought that this was the most likely cause. But like I said, none of the accounts that my account is shared with have VAC bans. As far as I understand, if they got me VAC banned then they'd also be VAC banned.

Here's a screenshot of the accounts my account is shared with
w9QmfcL.png

And here are all those accounts
https://steamcommunity.com/id/naturebow/
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198018454015/
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198061332685/
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089587697/

Ah, I didn't mean to say that I would be banned because Stardew Valley was VAC protected. Rather that I was playing it through the modding API (that I think uses DLL injection) while Dota 2 was running. Thus causing it to get picked up as some sort of cheat for Dota 2.

I've heard conflicting reports. A lot of people say the same thing you're saying here, that you have to be using Cheat Engine on the VAC protected game to be banned because of it. But there are people who say they have been banned just because they had Cheat Engine open in the background and have then been unbanned by a support agent saying not to run Cheat Engine while playing a VAC protected game.

So I'm no sure which one is actually the case. However, as I haven't used Cheat Engine on Dota. It would have had to have been the background case for me.

Thanks to everyone whose replied thus far. I'll probably try bumping my support ticket again, but I fear they'll just ignore me or close my ticket. Though I guess that wouldn't really be any different from me not doing anything.
Well, I had cheatengine opened while trying to join a VAC server(I dont remember if it was CS GO or TF2 and the only issue I had is that the server would auto-kick me. Googled it, noticed it was because of cheatengine being opened in the background and was just a temporary kick, closed it and joined the server just fine. No ban to this day. I mean, just in case its better to be safe and always double check that it is closed before joining a VAC server, but as far as I can see just having it opened won't warranted a VAC ban.

Armageddon

Neo Member
I've submitted a support ticket asking for clarification as to who exactly bears the brunt of a ban when the game in question was accessed via Family Sharing. What you said does make the most sense (the account owner copping a ban as per the rules and the person who initiated the hack also being banned, because, well, they initiated the hack), but, yeah, there's no relevant info on the Steam Support site and searching for it via Google is difficult.

Wow! Thank you very much, the extra help is greatly appreciated! :D

Well, I had cheatengine opened while trying to join a VAC server(I dont remember if it was CS GO or TF2 and the only issue I had is that the server would auto-kick me. Googled it, noticed it was because of cheatengine being opened in the background and was just a temporary kick, closed it and joined the server just fine. No ban to this day. I mean, just in case its better to be safe and always double check that it is closed before joining a VAC server, but as far as I can see just having it opened won't warranted a VAC ban.

Gotcha, thanks for sharing your experience. All I can think then is that Dota might handle it differently, or in some circumstances that warning message/kick doesn't show up. Otherwise, that probably wasn't what I was banned for.

In the meantime, I've bumped my support ticket. Can't say I'm too optimistic about there being any results though.

zkylon

zkylewd
halo? lol

activision got lucky with Black Ops 3 but nobody's going to run out and buy Ghosts 2
idk, im no npd or whatever but one quick look at wikipedia and says like 400 million sold in first month for halo 5, similar numbers for blops 3

they're both series that are slowing down but they're far from unsuccessful

So I take it you wanted to talk about sales figures instead
you talked about executives

money is what executives do afaik

i mean i'm sure they would love to have cs go numbers for their esports crap but clearly that's not the end goal or else they would actually make an esports game

like i said, they're probably not frustrated and it's all well under what's expected when you don't really invest into making an esports game

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
1. What are the advantages of Steam over GOG and vice versa?

2. Banner Saga for £3.74 - Worth it?

ArjanN

I suppose this game is linked in some form to the company who owns the Type Moon series? The similarities are so jarring it's impossible not to notice, from the artstyle to thw wine glass full of blod :p

Yeah, same characters/universe but a 2D fighting game.

1. Steam: cards, achievements, much bigger selection of games.
GOG: DRM-free.

2. Yes.

jediyoshi

you talked about executives

money is what executives do afaik

i mean i'm sure they would love to have cs go numbers for their esports crap but clearly that's not the end goal or else they would actually make an esports game

like i said, they're probably not frustrated and it's all well under what's expected when you don't really invest into making an esports game

What is an esports game and where is it mutually exclusive with the last Halo and Call of Duty?

Corpekata

Banned
The big advantage of Steam over GOG is patches and general ease of use features. GOG gets patches eventually but you're often stuck waiting since they are both not automatic and generally a fraction of most game's sales.

That being said, old games tend to be better on GOG (but then again, most of their old games aren't on Steam anyway).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah, same characters/universe but a 2D fighting game.

1. Steam: cards, achievements, much bigger selection of games.
GOG: DRM-free.

2. Yes.

Yes
EDIT: well, top of the page so I'm going to expand this a little. The gameplay is pretty good, the plot is well done, and the atmosphere of the game is incredibly good. Even full price would be worth it

Thought so, thanks! :)

Got a DOOM Beta key, went to redeem it and it says I already own it, I guess my alpha access turned into beta access. I presume the key is still good if someone wants to try it.

DVG2H-5CDG9-M?DBB

The question mark is a three. If it doesn't work I apologize.

JaseC

Got a DOOM Beta key, went to redeem it and it says I already own it, I guess my alpha access turned into beta access. I presume the key is still good if someone wants to try it.

DVG2H-5CDG9-M?DBB

The question mark is a three. If it doesn't work I apologize.

Fun fact: Steam did eat keys to begin with. Not in the "It activated a game I already had because of app/depot differences" sense, but rather you'd be told you already owned the game and the key would be unusable despite the fact it did exactly nothing. I "lost" one of my Half-Life Platinum Pack keys thanks to this.

Fun fact: Steam did eat keys to begin with. Not in the "It activated a game I already had because of app/depot differences" sense, but rather you'd be told you already owned the game and the key would be unusable despite the fact it did exactly nothing. I "lost" one of my Half-Life Platinum Pack keys thanks to this.

Does this happen to all games or certain ones?

JaseC

Does this happen to all games or certain ones?

All games, but this was back in 2003, when there was no store (if memory serves) and all you could activate was Valve's GoldSrc stuff (i.e. Half-Life and its expansions, plus CS, DoD and TFC).

That sounds terrible, that's a hell of an oversight on Valve's part, if it even was one.

In this particular case (the Doom codes) the code will be unusable anyway because it's actually the same code as the Alpha code. I got one in the mail yesterday, tried to give it to a friend today and it was a dupe. Then I checked my mail and it was the same code I got for the Alpha.

zkylon

zkylewd

1. more and cheaper games. even if the games aren't on steam you'll alost always get a steam key which makes hunting for bundles and crap really easy for ppl that are into that

2. banner saga is a pretty flawed game but that's pretty cheap and there's definitely good stuff about it and it's pretty enjoyable overall, so i'd say go for it if that's not much money for u

What is an esports game and where is it mutually exclusive with the last Halo and Call of Duty?
i think best thing is thinking about it the other way. you don't make an esport game but you can make a "not esports" game

how you do that?

annual 60 dollar releases with map pack dlc is a good start.

the fact that there even is a call of duty competitive scene is a testament to its popularity, but i can't imagine something can kill the competitive aspect of a sport like completely rearranging the board every year.

and hey league makes some changes but the map stays the same, the mechanics stay the same, you don't have classes from one year to the other, or wallrunning, or tanks, or whatever

there's competitive merit in halo or call of duty for sure but that's probably in spite of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom