• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales Thread: remember: you can actually play after buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
So not only did this sale produce 21,000 posts, it spawned at least five threads that I know of (this one, the final day thread, damages thread, regrets thread, and the Vampire thread).

Bravo.

Such a great way for me to celebrate dropping AT&T's bandwidth capping ass as an ISP.

Xamdou

Wubby said:
He had me wondering for a second if I missed some pricing mistake. I paid $20 for the set and don't remember seeing it for $15.

$20 is a great deal for both Dead Space games. I would have jumped on that deal but I already have the first Dead Space which I bought for $6.80. I am waiting for part two to reach $10 or less this Winter steam sale then I'll buy it for sure!

Today's damage:

Borderlands: GOTY Edition
Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
Penny Arcade Collection
Stubbs the Zombie
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

And everything else from the sale:

AVP
Amnesia
Audiosurf
Counter Strike: Source
Darksiders
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
The Last Remnant
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Transformers: War for Cybertron

Total cost for 16 games ended up around 86 dollars or so. Not too shabby.

Artofwar420

Ookami-kun said:
Hilariously enough, I got all JC2 DLC save for monster truck.

I got most of the ones I wanted, but I can't say no to a mosnter truck for a quarter of a dollar.

LiK said:
Shit, Steam won't let me dl. Servers too busy. Wanna dl while I sleep....

I'm using Denmark and I'm getting 1.5 to 2mbps. Try it.

Garry's Mod = best £1.50 ever spent.

gm_construct0000hnux.jpg

I really need to play Garry's Mod again. I played a crapton of it back when it was free but haven't really goofed with it since I think update 9 / becoming a paid game. Shame also because the paid version is so much better.
I miss JMod.

cacophony said:
So I just noticed Half Life started downloading in Steam and I definitely didn't buy it. Wtf?

Picked up Garry's Mod? If so, that's why. Many people in this thread have had the same thing happen to them.

Red

Just pulled my 39th summer camp achievement and I'm going to say I am officially done with this sale. Wanted to get the Sanctum ticket and go for Super Meat Boy's if I had time, but I'm happy with what I ended up with.

I spent a bit of time going for Fate of the World's ticket, and failed miserably with every effort. What a difficult game. When I have more time I'd love to sit down and really dig deep into it. I played for a couple hours and don't think I've come close to scratching the surface of its intricacies.

Garshasp is my only regret.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I've never added DLC via Steam before, but Fallout:NV sits updated 102.2MB/7789.4MB and that it's in 'updating' working status even though there is no progress bar working.

Red

Petrie said:
Sorry, didn't delete quite enough. The Sanctum ticket it the easiest I've gotten in the sale.
Don't you have to beat Glade? The shortest I can see it done is 30 waves.

It took me two hours just to get to Arc. I don't even have the level unlocked yet. How do you get it in 30 seconds?

Narag

Crunched said:

It took me two hours just to get to Arc. I don't even have the level unlocked yet. How do you get it in 30 seconds?

No, it's just shooting a beach set offmap. You can walk to it before starting the waves.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Crunched said:

No, you just need to trigger the beach party on Glade. You can do it in 30 seconds.

Red

Petrie said:
The achievement is on Glade, but you don't have to beat the map. You barely play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHlEk3WhMEM

Don't have to unlock Glade even, just host a game on it.
Narag said:
No, it's just shooting a beach set offmap. You can walk to it before starting the waves.
Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Thanks.

So my list of unachieved achievements for games I own wound up being
july 9th -
solar shock wave (x3 terran conflict)
talent show (portal 2)
put another shrimp on the barby (hydrophobia)

july 7th -
catch some rays (fate of the world)

july 6th -
the big hunt (killing floor)
star-spangled banner (spiral knights)

july 5th -
heat wave brown out (ai war fleet command)

july 4th -
summer dip (trine)

july 3rd -
out of bullets (defense grid)

july 2nd -
medium rare (super meat boy)

june 30th -
summer hits (lead and gold)
air wind sun pain (aaaaaa!!)

Hopefully the achievements remain after the sale is over. I'd like to go back and earn them sometime, even if they aren't worth anything.

Niblet said:
Do I need the original Dawn of War 2 to play DoW2 Retribution? If not, is there any point to playing vanilla DoW2?

Singleplayer campaign for the original and Chaos Rising are both incredibly good..If you're in it for multiplayer only, then Retribution would be the way to go..

The reason why Retribution is a standalone is because Relic decided to migrate their multiplayer from GFWL -> Steamworks. Though matchmaking is questionable, the stat tracking and community features are infinitely better.

Kerrby

Banned
SalsaShark said:
cant play Sanctum with a friend at all

"join game" does nothing, IP doesnt work, when trying to join a game from outside of it a message shows up saying "map on the command line blabla couldnt be found"

wat

Maybe you should make a thread on it.

psst. not really

gdt

I picked up Samarost 2 (I'm quite enjoying Machinarium right now), and I was wondering if there was anywhere to pick up Samarost 1 from. As a download, anyway.

Narag said:
Only fault is they're a bit repetitive. God-tier Cyrus is hilarious though.

I thought Chaos Rising's campaign was really good though. Multiple ending that were tied to how to completed missions as well as how you spec'd your squads. The whole traitor mechanic was pretty cool as well.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Would you guys recommend Painkiller? If so, which one should I get (provided I only buy one): Black Edition, Overdose, Resurrection or Redemption?

I'm basically looking for an oldschool FPS (think Doom 1/2, Duke Nukem 3D or more recently Serious Sam), and I heard Painkiller might fit the bill.

Also, will it run smoothly on a netbook with an integrated GPU?

biocat

Kilrogg said:
Would you guys recommend Painkiller? If so, which one should I get (provided I only buy one): Black Edition, Overdose, Resurrection or Redemption?

I'm basically looking for an oldschool FPS (think Doom 1/2, Duke Nukem 3D or more recently Serious Sam), and I heard Painkiller might fit the bill.

Also, will it run smoothly on a netbook with an integrated GPU?
Black but I don't remember it running that well on my netbook. Maybe if you lower the resolution a bit.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
biocat said:
Black but I don't remember it running that well on my netbook. Maybe if you lower the resolution a bit.

Thanks. I want to download the demo, but for some reason I get an error message saying I can't connect to Steam. What's up with that?

RiverBed

Banned
Page 420. lol

It's funny because it is the reason why I bought so many steam sale games. But it is cool, because almost all my choices were fucking awesome. :)

Truespeed

Gvaz said:
It's a mediocre TPS that's only overlooked if you're a huge transformers fan who will devour anything transformers.

The only cool part is the flying aspect and the levels are too cramped and short to truly utilize it.

Good to know, although the metacritic seemed pretty respectable (which is saying a lot for a transformers game). I've moved on, though. How could I let the Dead Space 2 collection get away for $20! Damn.

I had to get GTA4 complete pack, $10 is just too good to resist.

Also, where is the cheapest place or specific region to get Metro 2033? I really wanted it to go on sale.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This sale has been so amazing. I've put five hours into Majesty so far this weekend (http://store.steampowered.com/app/25990/?snr=1_4_4__13), and it's been a ton of fun.

"Cool story bro," right? But then it dawned on me that after I'm finished with Majesty, I have its expansion to go through. And Majesty 2 to go through. And ITS expansions. And then, after all that, I have Half-Life. And Deus Ex. And King's Bounty. And Darksiders. And SpaceChem. And Puzzle Agent. And Monkey Island.

...etc etc etc.

It's hard for me to articulate my exact point, here. I guess, like, my rational mind knew I was buying like 50+ games. I was completely aware of each and every purchase. But it was only just now, after putting some quality time into Majesty, that it dawned on me all the goodness I now have in front of me.

(Also Freedom Force, The Longest Journey, Oblivion modded to hell, X3, Quake Complete, Doom Complete, Hexen Complete...)

Petrie

Banned
Is there anyone who can tell me a bit about Freedom Force and how it holds up these days? The game just caught my eye, and looks like it could be awesome, but if it has been outclassed by it's modern equivalents then I'll pass on it. Thanks for anyone with some insight.

deduce

Just got my 24th ticket from AaAaAA!!!. It was the first game I tried to get a ticket from but wound up being the last ticket I'd win. I have 8 possible tickets left but I grabbed everything I wanted from the Prize Booth.

Games I picked up:

Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West - $1.50
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - $5.00
Medal of Honor Standard WW - $10.19
Borderlands DLC Pack - $7.49
Back to the Future: The Game - $12.49
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER - $2.50
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - $9.99
Magicka Complete Pack - $8.49
Transformers: War for Cybertron - $7.49
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - $7.49

Total cost: $72.63

SummerCamp Prize Booth:

Alien Breed 2
Monday Night Combat DLC
Portal 2 Item
Team Fortress 2 Item
Magicka DLC
Killing Floor DLC
Dawn of War 2: Retribution DLC
Beat Hazard DLC

I'm more surprised that I played everything I bought except for Lead and Gold. I'm still not sure why I picked up Lead and Gold. I managed to beat SW: TFU2 and Transformers during the sale too. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Transformers, thanks GAF for the recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom