• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo launches on PS5 March 29, with save data carrying over to the full game

Fredrik

depends how quickly you'd be able to kill a boss doind 5seconds from this camp ;). You are literally at the end of it now, sadly.
tLKD40h.jpg
ljtGx6G.jpg
FLt2Xwo.jpg
Ah okay I’ll go through the finish line then. Do you get new costumes when finishing it or are they exploration loot? I only have the green starter one.
Also…
- Tachy, nooooo! Should’ve been the main character 😥

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
once finished, it's game over and you go back to main menu. Then a new option appears 'boss rush or boss mode', where you just fight a DIFFERENT boss and you get different clothes to chose from (or glasses)
She is insanely hot and cute in the cut-scene where she walks into that boss arena with glasses on.

Last edited:
I just pre-ordered the game. I like the gameplay, I like the parry and dodge system.The first section is okay but the boss challenge is pretty good.

Played it with Korean voice btw.

I would enjoy it more if the attack buttons are R1,R2 instead of Square and triangles .

Last edited:

ibun

I really wanted to like this Game. One of the few games after Ghost of Tsushima I wanted to support (bought GoT two times release, PS5 Version), especially my massive massive disappointment Spider-Man 2. I liked what the devs said etc. Demo though...nope. I hoped it's Dynamic fast, button masher, alas it's precise parry/dodge which I can't do (Never touched a Souls-Game or Sekiro for that reason). Music is fine, Intro is interesting (Tachy would be my personal favourite for playing honestly), but Level Design kinda bland. I don't enjoy fighting "monsters" (demonic beasts that look like someone translated their kids nightmare into a game). I also felt "alone", the level design feels empty. I am kinda annoyed with myself, because, as said, I really wanted to like this one. I am happy people enjoyed the demo and are willing to get the game. Shoot and I like the sci-fi cute/hot chick shooter/masher angle.

Skin suit no armor? Who cares!

Just wanted to chime in and say ‘prudes’ was never Twitch’s problem and this guy is out of touch. Twitch’s problem has always been unclear bans, rules, and regulations.

That’s why many twitch streamers who want to take things further will stop sometimes because they simply don’t know what’s allowed. Many of the rule breakers are the body paint/hot tub-type of streamer.

Interesting to see the music being so divisive. I loved it, gave me Nier vibes.
The music is good but it doesn't fit the game and plays regardless of what is happening on screen, it's like it ripped from another game and just put in there. Sort of like an old Hong Kong Kung-Fu film.

Skifi28

The music is good but it doesn't fit the game and plays regardless of what is happening on screen, it's like it ripped from another game and just put in there. Sort of like an old Hong Kong Kung-Fu film.
I'd have to replay the game to be certain, but in the important moments like the boss fights I believe it did change to something more appropriate. It was only during the regular level it didn't, which I didn't mind.

I'd have to replay the game to be certain, but in the important moments like the boss fights I believe it did change to something more appropriate. It was only during the regular level it didn't, which I didn't mind.
Its sad too I wanted to like this game if only to piss off the WOKEs But this game is bad and plays like some cheap early PS2 title.

Crayon

It is actually hard when you start out because the game dumps you in there with a heavily upgraded skill tree and explains nothing about what cool stuff you can now do. I opened the skill tree myself and looked at all the skills and then practiced a bit in the combat simulator before going back to the boss after getting my ass handed to me for 20 minutes and that helped a lot.

Also you have a ton of different gear in your inventory, you can customize your build to deal more damage or make parry/dodge easier. The default build you're given is very defensive with a longer shield bar but you're not supposed to stand there and hold block for the boss's entire combo chain anyways, feel free to change your build up to suit your play style!

The game has some pretty noticeable input lag to when you push a button and when Eve does something so if you're coming from the tight and responsive controls of From Software you will need to adjust a bit. Parry and dodge timing requires you press the button a bit earlier than you would in Elden Ring or Sekiro. I've been reading on the Internet about people saying the game controls feel "floaty" or "weighty" and what these people are saying is they notice the input lag but don't know what input lag is. Were I the devs, I would try to tighten up the game's main loop to reduce input lag so players can have more responsive feeling controls but I'm not privy to the game's technical aspects and don't know if the input lag is intentional or fixable.

I don't feel input lag as.much as slow startup frames. If you look at the blocking animation, it starts animating quick, but seems like it needs around 15 frames to be active and able to block. That's very unusual. Even the dashes have a little startup before they start moving. The normal weak attack is really slow., too.

The double jump animation is a good one to eyeball input lag. For me it seems fine. Those startup frames on the main actions are very prominent, though. I think it helps set the game apart.
Anyway I've been playing more and this game is legitimately sick. That boss challenge feels like a fucking brawl. The patterns are there, but it felt more organic.

Wait . . I hear God talking

Shift Up must make a Ghost in the Shell game.

Last edited:

Fredrik

once finished, it's game over and you go back to main menu. Then a new option appears 'boss rush or boss mode', where you just fight a DIFFERENT boss and you get different clothes to chose from (or glasses)
Finished!
Nice 😏
Nothing new when beating that different one though, can just retry or go to main menu. Cool boss though, the design in general is just top notch.

Last edited:
I'm terrible at parrying. Maybe I'm just too old for this kind of game.

Soundtrack was annoying as fuck.

There's an option to change her hair to a short pony tail by the way. That long hair was driving me crazy.

Anyway, I'll wait for reviews.

Durin

Neo Member
Played the demo, came away surprised by the combat being solid. Takes some aspects of souls with more of the speed of a character action game.

Not sure if enough people in the demo will find out you can upgrade the timing window for parrying and perfect dodges to be more generous. The blink dodge also has could be presented better, where you wait for your sword to ping blue instead of following the enemy effects, but I got used to it quickly enough. Good attack mechanic variety, and they still have 2 locked progression trees.

Thought worse case scenario it was gonna maybe be a higher budget X-Blades, but instead came away thinking it will probably be a fun 8.5/10 action game. More of these would be nice.

Aenima

I'm terrible at parrying. Maybe I'm just too old for this kind of game.

Soundtrack was annoying as fuck.

There's an option to change her hair to a short pony tail by the way. That long hair was driving me crazy.

Anyway, I'll wait for reviews.
In the survival skill tree you can upgrade your parry skill. It will increase the parry window, making it easier to parry attacks. Also have in mind when an enemy does a yellow attack, it cannot be parried or blocked, you need to dodge it.

Last edited:

Filben

I just came back from a family fair and nearly every second chick is wearing super tight pussy hugging short booty shorts, but when I am in the privacy of my own home Im meant to feel bad about the character I want to play a video game as.
It's like every third woman (usually the younger adults and even teens) is wearing these pants where I live. They know it's comfy and sexy. And nothing wrong about women wanting to feel sexy. But as you said, as soon as this is in a game, which I thought should show everyday and normal things?, it's too much.

Also, it's like one single AA(A) game after so many games with different takes on showing female characters and now people lose their shit over this.

Kabelly

I haven't played the demo yet but the combat is so divise. Some people are calling it trash tier with lots of input lag and others are saying the combat is so good once they get it down. I wonder if it's a case where we need the full skill tree to really open up the combat.

It's the same in Bayonetta. You don't even have air dodge until you unlock it. Certain moves don't unlock untill you progress through the story.

I feel like once you reach the mid to end game the combat will be way more open. Was there any long range weapons in the demo? I notice a lack of discussion around the range weapons.

Aenima

I haven't played the demo yet but the combat is so divise. Some people are calling it trash tier with lots of input lag and others are saying the combat is so good once they get it down. I wonder if it's a case where we need the full skill tree to really open up the combat.

It's the same in Bayonetta. You don't even have air dodge until you unlock it. Certain moves don't unlock untill you progress through the story.

I feel like once you reach the mid to end game the combat will be way more open. Was there any long range weapons in the demo? I notice a lack of discussion around the range weapons.
The long range weapon is only unlocked in the extra boss battle after you beat the demo. The demo is the start of the game so alot of stuff is still locked.

Skifi28

I would imagine it's an expectations issue. Those expecting DMC or Nier gameplay would be petty disappointed as the game is more slow and deliberate, more like Sekiro. I think if you go with an open mind and you take the time to learn the basics, it's great.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i dont know, the music suits the game perfectly the first time i hear it.
Something about the music just hits perfecly with the world design, its kinda unique

Last edited:
I haven't played the demo yet but the combat is so divise. Some people are calling it trash tier

Whoever says that is either trolling or a videogame journo-level of playing.

Combat is very deep and feels incredible with the controller. They could have gone the easy route of button-mashing ala Nier but they came up with something great. Devs warned it many times but people didn't pay attention and now they complain cos they suck at it.

Nothing wrong with dying many times. The first boss destroyed me 20 times until I got the hang of it. To those people, git gud.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah, it was a comment made in jest
I understand, the whole thing just annoys me, the hobby is mostly ruined in the west because of the push to uglify women and shave off curves until they all look like headswapped men. Even in Cyberpunk which was almost controversial there was no sliders to make a character with wider hips or shorter or even mildly busty. Had to use mods. And I have no idea what dev Microsoft were thinking about when oddly reminding devs to not exaggerate body proportions, they don’t have a single 1st party IP with a character with curves.

But whatever, back to Stellar Blade. Played some more. That Racer costume you get is something else, gotta love non-western devs! ❤️

SJRB

Gold Member
Played to the third or so "bonfire", game is allright. Default outfit sucks ass though, not gonna lie.

Not sure if I'll pick this up immediately, but props to the devs for releasing a demo in the first place.

I figured I would skip the demo and just blindly buy the game in hopes that it was decent. I decided to give the demo a try today.

What a fantastic game. The graphics are stunning and yet still 60fps. The music is just noise, though. I struggled with combat until I was prompted to go to the training mode and figured things out. Got to the boss and was perfect dodging and trying combos.

I've tried a bunch of games this year, and all left me unimpressed. Granblue Fantasy, Tekken 8, Dragon's Dogma, Assassin's Creed... the only one that was a great game worth playing was Prince of Persia. Stellar Blade already feels like "game of the year" material, and I don't say that lightly. It's a good feeling to actually be excited for an upcoming game.

Isa

I have to wonder to what extent of people complaining about input lag and combat issues, just suck at the game.
I think its partially that, could be people needing to take time to learn the pacing, learning the different enemy tells and their own abilities, upgrading and gaining new abilities and I think also it could be people's TV setups. I'm guessing that could be a factor for some as well depending on input lag which I can definitely see as being off putting.

Also not everybody is batting at the same level, something game developers and gamers seem to forget. One need only watch reaction times during road incidents to see how many people are slower than others when it comes to split second timing and decision making.

Durin

Neo Member
I have to wonder to what extent of people complaining about input lag and combat issues, just suck at the game.
Probably some, some others don't know you can increase the parry/dodge window, saw the dev mention not having game mode on tvs could create more input lag, and some people not knowing certain attacks are unblockable.

Some stuff could be tutorialized better, but the people saying the combat is trash are high.

Top Bottom