• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange Days (1995), was ahead of it's time.

Ivory Blood

Spoilers obviously, but c'mon it's a film that's more than two decades old. Also a bit of a rant, so bear with me.

Strange-Days-%281995%29-movie-cover.jpg

With all this talk in the US about race and police brutality, and in anticipation of Cyberpunk I rewatched it again.

And goddamn, it checks almost every mark on the usual modern "woke" trend -

1) Weak and sleazy male main character.
2) A pretty white female love interest who has fallen on hard times despite her fame, but oh so pines after our "hero".
3) Sassy black woman who is a badass fighter (looking at you Nadine from UC4)
4) Police brutally murdering a famous black man and trying to cover it up.

Except the film then goes on to subvert all of these -

1) Lenny finds it in himself to actually remember he was a police officer, overcome his self-pity about being betrayed by his old girlfriend, and do what's right - expose the corrupt cops.
2) Faith is a backstabbing bitch with no redeeming qualities who tries to frame Lenny for murder he didn't commit.
3) Mace is a single mom, who, while being tough as nails, has a soft side and really cares about Lenny - going as far as to barge into men's bathroom to have a talk about evidence with the police chief, risking being arrested for assault herself.
4) The corrupt cop Steckler got what he deserved, but not by being killed by our protagonists, no, the chief of police Strickland (who today would no doubt be framed as an accomplice in Stecklers crimes) - an old white guy, actually listens to our heroes and arrests those responsible.

And it all was directed by a woman too.

How come in 1995 Kathryn Bigelow, with screenplay from James Cameron, managed to make a movie that was more progressive, fair and entertaining than what the Hollywood of today celebrates as super innovative and inclusive? While also dealing with heavy themes like racism, police brutality and war on drugs in a nuanced and thoughtful way.

And it has kickass music, and one of the best kissing scenes I've ever seen on the big screen.

Don't know where I was going with this, just needed to get it off my chest.

Self

The movie blew my mind back then, but it could't impress me when I watched it for a second time.

But yeah, it was ahead of it's time.

-Arcadia-

Banned
How come in 1995 Kathryn Bigelow, with screenplay from James Cameron, managed to make a movie that was more progressive, fair and entertaining than what the Hollywood of today celebrates as super innovative and inclusive? While also dealing with heavy themes like racism, police brutality and war on drugs in a nuanced and thoughtful way.

I know it’s rhetorical, but...

Progressivism as an intellectual, measured ideal, rather than progressivism as a religion.

V2Tommy

Please fix your thread title

Decent movie, but it could've been incredible if Cameron actually directed it.

Superkewl

Gold Member
It's not so much that it's ahead of it time as more of shit has not changed much in the past 40+ years of police-race relations. Good movie though

Top Bottom