• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stray launches on July 19 | Free with PS+ Extra and Premium

Bartski

Gold Member
g9tNMSq.png

Agent X

Gold Member
I've been looking forward to this game for a while. It's great to see that it'll be offered on PS Plus Extra & Premium. I'll be in the Premium tier, and this is one game I'll definitely play!

anyone else that saw that platforming is scripted and instantly lost interest?

making a game about being a cat in a city and then making the platforming almost entirely context sensitive is like making a racing game where you don't have to steer...

I kind of see your point, but I've considered Stray as having a greater emphasis on the adventure elements, rather than precision platforming. It encourages the player to explore its world and interact with its characters.

It's sad that the game that is included with ps+ only has one page of replies. I'm post number 33.
Street Fighter 6 is on it's 3rd page already.
I think Sony picked the wrong game to promote on PS+

CamHostage

making a game about being a cat in a city and then making the platforming almost entirely context sensitive is like making a racing game where you don't have to steer...

That's certainly a downside (although we've known about that since trailer #1,) but it's more of an adventure game than a platformer, and there's still action mechanics to combat and even to platforming traversal. (It's context-sensitive, but flowing-context, as in the entire object that is context-sensitive can be interacted with and multiple context objects to interact with in a scene, whereas usually a game would pinpoint the command like you're boxed in and all you're doing is pressing buttons upon reaching that spot to trigger the action.) When you watch a fuller gameplay session, maybe you'll see a bit more of how there's still choices, albeit maybe not skill, involved in the platforming system.

So it's not the fun kitty parkour game that maybe you're imagining, but it blends fluidity and ease-of-play-access that would open this up to a wider audience. It takes away the "whoa, almost didn't make that one" feeling of platforming, which is fun, but then again, it's a cat you're controlling, and cats don't think too much about what they're doing usually and don't fail too often (...unless they, you know, should have thought more about what they're doing.) It's sort of that Assassin's Creed comfortability where cool stuff happens without a lot of complicated button-presses or gitgud player dexterity. Think of it as, the character is already good at doing what it does, which is being a cat, so they don't need much controller input precision from you to go do that.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Yeah I noticed it when they first showed it. But still looks interesting. Wish the jumping/platforming was not scripted but the rest looks cool

Top Bottom