• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street fighter IV Did It For Fighting Games: What Genre Needs its 'Silver Age" (Second Golden Age in Gaming)?

kunonabi

Survival horror games. I had hoped REmake 2 would have gotten the ball rolling but then REmake 3 ended up being garbage and RE8 went to back to first person garbage with freaking Ethan again. Nobody else has stepped up either so I think the window is pretty much shut unless the new Silent Hill game turns out to be real and not awful.

4 player Local Multiplayer.

Seems like we finally have consoles powerful enough to deliver these types of games properly:
  • 4K resolution divides evenly into four 1080p images for 4P splitscreen
  • 4K resolution allows things like small text, health bars, & mini maps to be more readable by 4 people on a big screen.
  • Things like profiles being tied to controllers, allowing people to earn trophies/achievements for themselves in a local match, incentivize split screen, and makes it feel like a complement to online play instead of a competitor.

I really hope we see more AAA games use this again. Really shouldn’t be limited to just indies.

Last edited:

ksdixon

2D Sonic

2D Scrolling Beat 'Em Ups...
which aren't floaty, weak-feeling, pixelated or anime art styles. Streets Of Rage Remake style, please.

sn0man

What needed to be said (e.g., racing, 4 player local) has already been said. So i'll go a little different; we need more movie/TV tie-in 2D games.

I'm thinking Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles side scroller beat 'em up or Jurassic World 2d platformer (a sequel to the Sega Genesis JP game).

Idk what is sadder the fact you like SF4 or the fact you think replying like that means anything, when you are talking about a dead genre from a JPN series.

3>Alpha>2>EX>4>5>1
If I learned one thing in 25 years of playing SF is that this is purely SUBJECTIVE.

It's okay if you have a different favourite in the series (I do as well), but saying IT FUCKING SUCKED is retarded bullshit, mate.

OBJECTIVELY though, lots of people spend thousands of hours on SFIV, it basically revitalized the FGC and it was one of the biggest games on the PS4/360 gen.

So you are wrong.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If I learned one thing in 25 years of playing SF is that this is purely SUBJECTIVE.

It's okay if you have a different favourite in the series (I do as well), but saying IT FUCKING SUCKED is retarded bullshit, mate.

OBJECTIVELY though, lots of people spend thousands of hours on SFIV, it basically revitalized the FGC and it was one of the biggest games on the PS4/360 gen.

So you are wrong.
OBJECTIVELY lots of people spend thousands of hours on Fun Run 3, it basically revitalized the FaceBookGamers and it was one of the most played games on phones!

So?
Don’t lose your time, he is just trying to stir the pot, SF4 was massive success that single handled revived not a series but a genre, plus brought FGC scene to where it’s now, you couldn’t have half million dollars championship if wasn’t SF4
Are you implying the FGC is a good thing? You mean why companies make esports games rather than fighting games now?

OBJECTIVELY lots of people spend thousands of hours on Fun Run 3, it basically revitalized the FaceBookGamers and it was one of the most played games on phones!
1. We are talking about fighting games here
2. SF4 being popular doesn't make it bad like your lame comparison implies.
3. if SF4 would have been bad, it wouldn't have made such a splash

It's okay you don't like the game. I think SF3 is lame overhyped shit with stupid characters that plays horrible, for instance. Yet I can see its importance for a certain part of FG history.

Klart

Beat 'm ups (also known as brawlers). They used to be the king of videogames.

I hope Streets of Rage 4 is the start of it. It's how a beat'm up should be today.

A new, up-to-date Final Fight or Double Dragon would be most welcome. Or why not make a Street Fighter beat 'm up? it would be awesome!

Last edited:

A2una1

Beat 'm ups (also known as brawlers). They used to be the king of videogames.

I hope Streets of Rage 4 is the start of it. It's how a beat'm up should be today.

A new, up-to-date Final Fight or Double Dragon would be most welcome. Or why not make a Street Fighter beat 'm up? it would be awesome!

I fought, that the Yakuza games where a modern take to those brawler of the old days.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
1. We are talking about fighting games here
2. SF4 being popular doesn't make it bad like your lame comparison implies.
3. if SF4 would have been bad, it wouldn't have made such a splash
1. Yeah no shit?
2. It brought nothing new to the table, the graphics/artstyle was ugly and previous games played better.
3. That's bs and you know it. People played it thinking SF was back. For the starved fighting game player it was fine but that entire gen was a disappointment.

1. Yeah no shit?
Well, then don't post your retarded comparisons top some other bullshit that has no relation to this just for your edgy little "sick burn" effect.
2. It brought nothing new to the table, the graphics/artstyle was ugly and previous games played better.
Debatable.
Just because this is your opinion doesn't mean it's true.

I have been playing various Street Fighter games since Super Turbo in 1994, and I liked SF4 a lot better than most other entries that had come before it that came after ST.

Your list looks like you are nostalgic for your old experiences and not being able coping with new stuff, and that's about it.

3. That's bs and you know it. People played it thinking SF was back. For the starved fighting game player it was fine but that entire gen was a disappointment.
Yeah, for over seven years people just played this game because there was nothing else around, and it's only because there WAS LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE TO PLAY that SF4 revitalized interest in the franchise and genre that SF3 has almost buried into oblivion with its shitty gameplay and weirdo characters.

What a disappointment that was.

Dude, get a life.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

1. Yeah no shit?

The entire SF4 gen was a disappointment? Lmao what am I reading.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well, then don't post your retarded comparisons top some other bullshit that has no relation to this just for your edgy little "sick burn" effect.
Nooooo popular isn't bad but comparing casual popular things isn't the same thing at alllll!

Debatable.
Just because this is your opinion doesn't mean it's true.
maxresdefault.jpg

latest

I have been playing various Street Fighter games since Super Turbo in 1994, and I liked SF4 a lot better than most other entries that had come before it that came after ST.
So? That's your preference. I have mine, right?

Your list looks like you are nostalgic for your old experiences and not being able coping with new stuff, and that's about it.
You say that yet ignore the fact SF4 did nothing worth writing home about. What a retarded statement.

Capcom used to be better and if I want to play great fighting games they exist outside said company. New or old. UNIST, VF5 and GBF shit all over SF4/5. So does T7.

Yeah, for over seven years people just played this game because there was nothing else around, and it's only because there WAS LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE TO PLAY that SF4 revitalized interest in the franchise and genre that SF3 has almost buried into oblivion with its shitty gameplay and weirdo characters.
Sounds like a (you) problem.

Dude, get a life.
Fuck right off. Every time you don't agree with someone you go down this route. It was bad enough you were dropping shitty one liners before. How about you learn to cope? You took an obvious opinion and doubled down on the tism over it. Act your age.
The entire SF4 gen was a disappointment? Lmao what am I reading.
Did you read the OP? What gen did SF4 drop in again?

Fbh

Where's my car combat games?
twisted_metal_slide_kfjs68.gif

I really think someone should give them another chance. It's a genre where I wouldn't mind seeing a "live service approach". Launch with a solid core, then introduce a new character/car 2 or 3 times a year and some new maps more often and support it with cosmetic microtransactions.

Last edited:
Fuck right off. Every time you don't agree with someone you go down this route. It was bad enough you were dropping shitty one liners before. How about you learn to cope? You took an obvious opinion and doubled down on the tism over it.
Says the guy who shits on a game because it's not his taste and cannot cope with the obvious success that game had by any metric.

Act your age.
Exactly what I am doing, you little weeb.

Snk saves your ass with kof 13,kof 14,and neutral master sam sho, but people ignore it for sf5 and juggling combos in tekken. We got what we deserve.

Top Bottom