• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in Silent Hill 4...anyone else have it yet?

While we're talking about SH games, can anyone tell me if it would be best to play through 1, then 2, etc? I have 2 for the XBox, but I'm not sure if I should play the first one first, then keep going on up.

Alias03

so what are you guys using to play SH4 on a US PS2? I want to get it but I dont want to spend mega bucks. Any help would be great.

Bebpo

Banned
SilentHill said:
so what are you guys using to play SH4 on a US PS2? I want to get it but I dont want to spend mega bucks. Any help would be great.

Sorry can't help you there. I'm using a Jpn PS2 to play it and that probably falls under "mega bucks" :(

Bebpo

Banned
btw Lyte Edge,

Where is all the music in the game? I just finished the 3rd world and I think I've only heard maybe 3 songs of the OST (only 1 vocal) do they actually use all the songs on the OST in the game? Or is only some of it in there?

dream

Well, once again I found myself being captivated by the first half of a Silent Hill game only to lose interest halfway through and force myself to finish it just for a sense of closure. I think my biggest problem with the series is each game starts with a very clever premise but the way the story plays out just isn't that compelling because the mythology behind the Silent Hill franchise just doesn't appeal to me.

From a storyline perspective, I enjoyed SH2 the most because
James killed his wife and every fucked up thing that happened in the game was a manifestation of his guilt.
I was really into SH4 until
I figured out it was just more of the cult stuff that I didn't find all that interesting in SH1 or SH3.

Alias03

SilentHill said:

Bebpo said:
Sorry can't help you there. I'm using a Jpn PS2 to play it and that probably falls under "mega bucks" :(

anyone else????

Bebpo

Banned
Found my first major stuck point (well 2nd but I used Lyte Edge's refrigerator hint in the apartment).

I just got Eileen to follow me in the hospital. I went back through the hole got a small key from Joseph and a letter about getting to the bottom of the truth. Then I went back and I'm back in the hospital with Eileen following me. But I have no clue where to go? I've checked all the rooms on the 1st floor and there aren't any locked doors and I don't remember any locks being on the 2nd floor?

Unless it's where Eileen's giant head used to be...hmm I'll check that now. But if that's not it, can someone point me where to go?

Thanks,

Brofist

I just picked it up, but playing too much Psi-Ops right now. Debating whether I'll buy Xenosaga II as well, should be out by tomorrow here.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Bebpo said:
Found my first major stuck point (well 2nd but I used Lyte Edge's refrigerator hint in the apartment).

I just got Eileen to follow me in the hospital. I went back through the hole got a small key from Joseph and a letter about getting to the bottom of the truth. Then I went back and I'm back in the hospital with Eileen following me. But I have no clue where to go? I've checked all the rooms on the 1st floor and there aren't any locked doors and I don't remember any locks being on the 2nd floor?

Unless it's where Eileen's giant head used to be...hmm I'll check that now. But if that's not it, can someone point me where to go?

Thanks,

Did you
check the elevator on the second floor? Clean that out, then head to the end of the hallway on the second floor; IIRC the way that was previously blocked should now be open and you can proceed to the game's "second half."

Bebpo

Banned
Ah thanks man, I can't believe I didn't see something so obvious as that ^^;;

In the mean-time I checked out the board at gamefaqs for hints on that spot and was surprised that both reviews there are giving it a 5/10 :( I read their reviews but I dunno despite the backtracking/loading/inventory I'm still having a total blast playing this game.

Bebpo

Banned
kpop100 said:
I just picked it up, but playing too much Psi-Ops right now. Debating whether I'll buy Xenosaga II as well, should be out by tomorrow here.

Can you read Japanese?
Did you like XSep1?
Do you like good stories?

If you answer yes to all 3 of those questions, you must buy XS epII :p

SH4 is my in-between game until XSepII so I'm working on finishing it by tomorrow. Once I get XS I'm not leaving my house/room/sleeping for 3-5 days ^__^ It's the experience I've been waiting two years for :D (Same with duckroll who is just as crazy or even crazier than me regarding XS). Sooo excited currently ^^;;

Brofist

I'd say pretty much yes to all 3...I can read Japanese well enough.

It's not those 3 issues I'm worried about..it's number 4. Money :p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
5/10 is way too low a score for this title. Same goes with Edge's score of 6/10. Now I agree that the backtracking does bring the score down, but this is still a quality title that should be getting scores in thr 7-8.5 range,

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished it myself.

Enjoyed it greatly except for two of the backtracking areas (areas 1 & 4 which I thought were the worst out of the bunch the first time through). I actually liked the way the boss fight was setup both artistically and gameplay-wise.

I accidently left a certain "someone" in a room which I thought had no enemies for AN ENTIRE WORLD. Come back an hour later and realize that there had been a bunch of moths in there and that person was horribly murderfied :( So needless to say I got the worst ending >_<

Still I thought it had a great story, beautiful room designs (in a warped way), great music and the best action engine of the bunch even if the auto-aim was screwy with guns.

Silent Hill is a series that I wouldn't mind if they kept making a sequel a year forever as long as they could keep telling interesting stories. Also I think the implementation of 1st person/restricted inventory/no bosses/no riddles/
ghosts and ghost damage
gave the game a fresh feel as opposed to feeling like more of the same. Though not everything works, I still applaud them trying to be creative.

I'd put it a bit it something like this I guess SH2>>SH4=SH1>>SH3. SH1 gets a major boost for actually being frightening, same with SH2. For some reason nothing in SH3/SH4 was really scary, I dunno maybe I've grown used to Silent Hill and it doesn't disturb me anymore. Now I just appriciate it's fucked up nature artistically instead :p

maskrider

Bebpo said:
I accidently left a certain "someone" in a room which I thought had no enemies for AN ENTIRE WORLD. Come back an hour later and realize that there had been a bunch of moths in there and that person was horribly murderfied :( So needless to say I got the worst ending >_<

You can cure her by putting a candle near her if you have candles left. I found that by trial and error, and equipping a weapon on her will increase her rate of deterioation.

Top Bottom