• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successful weight loss and maintenance stories?

kikkis

I was just interested if you have any stories based on the title. I have tried to lose weight for 7 years ever since I got fat from antipsychotic medications. I mean I was still almost 20kgs lighter than used couple of years ago, but now I gained 5kg in three weeks. Binge eating shit is my problem, otherwise eat healthy and walking is my exercise method.

Nico_D

I used to be 20 kg heavier in the 90s.

Partly because of this, partly out of curiosity I took part in an exercise study which studied whether exercising 3 times/week is enough for getting fit.

Lost few kgs there. Then got insulinoma, my blood sugars were all over the place. After the surgery I was mostly skin and started get
too much weight again thanks for depression.

Then I got a dog and started walking and watching what I eat. Now I walk with her three times/day total 16-17 km per day (around mid bpm). Eat breakfast, usually nothing during the day until dinner and then some small snack in the evening.

No snacks unless I'm really pissed off. And lets face it: with over 20k steps per day all over the year I could eat whatever I want. But I rarely do, I enjoy too much feeling good.

As a sidenote: I don't believe in diets. They are programs. When the program ends, the old weight slowly returns unless there's a real motivation to stay at around ideal weight. Also, it is really that easy: move more, watch what you eat.

That said, some medications and diseases override all that. Or at least make it shitload harder.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Maybe try not to buy a huge amount of the specific food you binge on. Buy only small portions of you really like it.
And if binging is connected to another activity (like watching movies, reading, etc), then try to focus on enjoying that activity without the food. Separate the act of eating from it.

I know all of that is easy for me to say, but I'm sure you can do it. We're rooting for you, man.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I've been having such a easy time maintaining my weight for so long now it's become really hard for me to understand anyone who has issues with it.... It's crazy how perception changes with time once you get a hang of.

I was always fairly slim until back in my early 20s I've gained like 30 kgs in a course of 2 years. Getting rid of this again was really rough at first. Started slowly jogging my our dog back in the days and then later joined the gym. Lost 20 kgs and then maintaned that for a year or so when I started working. One year into work I again rejoined the gym and then got really persistent with my training. Lost 10 more kgs anbd was back at my "normal" weight of 85 kg.

Fast forward 15 years it's been quite an up and down of bulk and cut but never have I lost control of my eating habbits again. Around 5 years ago I started doing crazy shit with my diet and got mad digestive issues because of it and even though I fixed it I have yet to regain my love for eating. Eating is still more of a nuisance for me and like 50% of it is something I could do without if it wasn't for my training.

@OP: Try to keep in mind that most snacks are TRASH that are created to mqake you addicted. Learn to get your good feelings from somewhere else.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was always very athletic and in great shape up until my 30s when I had to focus more on work and my metabolism slowed down. So throughout my 30s I just gradually got fatter. But I turned it around in my 40s.

Diet is 90% of the problem most of the time. That was my issue., fast food every other day.. huge portion sizes. Even though I still worked out every other day it wasn’t enough because of my eating habits.

People take years to get fat but expect to get skinny in less than a year. 😵‍💫

What helped me was being more structured with my day. Yeah it gets boring but having a set routine helped me change my life style and eating habits.

Last edited:

kikkis

Maybe try not to buy a huge amount of the specific food you binge on. Buy only small portions of you really like it.
And if binging is connected to another activity (like watching movies, reading, etc), then try to focus on enjoying that activity without the food. Separate the act of eating from it.

I know all of that is easy for me to say, but I'm sure you can do it. We're rooting for you, man.
Generally speaking I have to maintain zero tolerance on snacks, since if I eat small chocolate bar, tomorrow its chips bag and lots of candies.

This year I have 3x ~5-6 weeks without binge eating. I have gotten good progress during that time. But outside of that I tend to eat it all back.

JCK75

My weight was all over the place for the last decade, miserable in my marriage and just doing so much to keep the household going and taking care of my son while my abusive yet useless wife did nothing.
Tried a few fad diets such as Keto (which fails every time because Naan and Buttermilk biscuits exist).

I just decided to cut my portions drastically but eat the same shit I always eat, drank extra water with the meal and in between to kind of fill the gaps..
lost 30 lbs since then and have kept it off.. never felt hungry or weak.. just felt better and the weight came off.

Tams

Eat less shit and do some exercise more than walking.

Walking is great and all, but you burn fuck all calories unless it's hiking and even then.

For food, set out your meals and stick to them. You can add or take away as necessary. You can even start with simply meat and two or three veg for dinner. Lunch a homemade sandwich or salad (no dressing). Breakfast if you want it, something like Bran Flakes with milk and/or yogurt and some fruit. Frozen is fine.

When I quit drinking I was just about to hit 240lbs. In about 4 months I had dropped down to 170lbs, and I've been at 165ish for years now.
At six foot I struggle to keep weight on. Alcohol would give me crazy munchies, and when I removed it I assumed a regular appetite would appear in time. I just don't get hungry, if I don't remind myself to eat like a normal person I'd go days without food and hardly notice.

GeekyDad

I was just interested if you have any stories based on the title. I have tried to lose weight for 7 years ever since I got fat from antipsychotic medications. I mean I was still almost 20kgs lighter than used couple of years ago, but now I gained 5kg in three weeks. Binge eating shit is my problem, otherwise eat healthy and walking is my exercise method.
Sounds like a good start to me.

reksveks

Lost about 40kg in a year, probably not healthily and still don't think I don't have a healthy relationship with food and/or my body.

Think walking is a great start (still do min 20k steps a day but closer to 30k).

I think being aware of calorie intake is important to start with but try not to go overboard.

One thing that is helpful is finding an exercise/sport that you find enjoyable. I find a 5km good for me cause I can get competitive with myself.

Also cutting out booze is great.

Xyphie

Buy a small kitchen scale. By far the most successful thing I've done to lose weight is to weigh each serving of rice/pasta/etc and limit to around 50 grams uncooked. It's very hard to judge sizing by eye so it's very easy to eat another 50-100% if you don't.

Last edited:

Winter John

You know when I first went over to Europe I genuinely thought I was getting ripped off every time I ordered a meal because the portions seemed so small. It took me a while to figure out that it's not normal to eat a fuckin field every time you order a salad. We have a serious problem with that shit.

Anyways. My tip for losing weight is replace all the shit you eat with soup, fresh fruit and veg. That's all you need to do. There's no way you won't lose weight. I'm not saying it's easy because it ain't. You gotta really be determined. Throw in a little something on a weekend. Give yourself a treat like a pizza or whatever your favorite meal is. You need to change your meals too. You need variety. I might have soup one day. A salad or some rice the next. Once you start seeing those pounds falling off it's all worth it.

Kenpachii

Best i ever did was 10kg in a week and 30kg in a month loss. Would not advice was pretty brutal.

U lose weight by eating right, training is basically just a amplifier, but can also make you more hungry specially if you train muscles a lot.

A good tactic to lose weight is, to only buy healthy food u don't like to eat. U will eat them as limited as u can because u simple don't like it. Also train 3 times a week for a hour while at it. U will see progression sooner rather then later.

And with drinks, water is default everything else is bonus.

Your weight will follow automatically and so will your health improvements. Don't lose weight with the goal of i want to lose weight. Lose weight by improving your lifestyle and it will stay gone forever.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
-journal your food
-if you drink a lot, cut back or quit
-set exercise goals
-share your goals/compete with others, even starting this thread is a good start
-don’t give up, it’s going to be a life long effort

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
My better half is a perfectionist with ocd and either npd or bdp and I work 50+ hrs a week. I managed to lose 15lbs and keep it off by eating right. Stress and eating right will do the trick

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
1. Record what you regularly consume on a given day and calculate the calories. Realize that you'll have to burn more calories than you take in
2. With that number in mind, look into a cardio routine and calculate how many calories it will burn. Such as jogging for X minutes
3. Now with these numbers in mind, know that a pound of fat is about 3500k calories. So you'll need to burn 3500 more calories than you take in to lose a pound

Go from there. Also consider doing some light weight lifting to build muscle. Each pound of muscle will passively consume more calories per day just to maintain. Which will make the weight loss occur slightly more quickly.

Once you reach your ideal weight, merely adjust how much you eat and do cardio again to maintain.

Back in my early 20's I kind of let myself go and gained about 20 pounds. Using the above formula I lost that all in about three months while building some impressive muscle. Edit: oh yea, as SlimySnake SlimySnake mentions below intermittent fasting can really accelerate the weight loss and help you maintain later on. I have a friend that does it. On the days he eats, he can sometimes eat like a horse. But then he fasts for a day. Dude remains skinny as a rake

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, Ive also tried to lose weight for 7 years. Just didnt work. I dont eat sweets. I dont eat over 2000 calories. I exercised somewhat regularly. Nothing worked. 7 fucking years. I asked my doctor. He kept saying just exercise and watch your diet which is what i was doing already.

Then in July of this year, I found some youtube videos on intermittent fasting. What stuck out to me was the coorelation between weight gain and pre-diebetes. Basically insulin resistance is when your body fails to break down sugar and stores everything as fat. Visceral fat, mostly around your belly. Doesnt matter if you arent eating sweets, all carbs will get turned into glucose which will turn into fat if you are insulin resistant. I finally asked my doctor to do a test and yep, my A1C was in the per-diabetic range. Every time I would eat, Id have a sweet craving or Id get MORE hungry. You can have the biggest meal in the world and still be hungry. Thats insulin resistance in a nut shell.

So I cut carbs to the bare minimum and started intermittent fasting. My last meal would be at 6PM. Then I would skip breakfast the next morning only having black coffee which doesnt break the fast due to having 0 calories. Eat lunch at 12. 18 hour fast. It was AWFUL for the first few days. My body had adjusted to crave late night snacks and snacks after dinner. I felt like having a drug withdrawl. Hungry, annoyed, and tired. Then in a couple of weeks, my body got used to it. Nights were much better. I could go longer during the day so pushed my lunch to 2PM. 20 hour fast. Then eventually 24 hour fast. No lunch. only dinner. That meant my body was functioning on reserved body fat 12 hours after my dinner, giving me a good 12 hours of fat burning.

Lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Mostly water weight, but have lost 5 pounds each in the last three months. Losing 25 pounds in less than 4 months is insane.

I also walked a lot. Like 10k steps a day. Walking burns fat whereas running burns carbs. It also doesnt tire me and it isnt boring like lifting weights so that was perfect. Still, if you want to lose weight fast, you have to build muscle which will burn more fat at night while you sleep, and weight lifting is the best for that. I still mostly stick to walking. Ive cut down on limiting carbs. Used to have fewer than 50 a day by using low carb breads and protein only diets. But now I have around 60-80 carbs. Some bread and rice. Weight loss has slowed but im still seeing results thanks to intermittent fasting. Im simply not hungry and I didnt have to completely stop eating sweets, fast food and my favorite rice dishes. Though if I had a big lunch from Mcdonalds I would simply skip dinner. IF made my body no longer crave dinner.

Exercise is only 15% of the equation. The rest is having a good diet. You will never be able to eat only vegetables or zero carb protein only diets so thats also impossible. Intermittent Fasting will train your body to not crave food. So at the very least, you wont be snacking at night or between lunch and dinner and you will be saving 300-400 calories by simply not snacking everyday.

Last edited:

kikkis

Yeah, Ive also tried to lose weight for 7 years. Just didnt work. I dont eat sweets. I dont eat over 2000 calories. I exercised somewhat regularly. Nothing worked. 7 fucking years. I asked my doctor. He kept saying just exercise and watch your diet which is what i was doing already.

Then in July of this year, I found some youtube videos on intermittent fasting. What stuck out to me was the coorelation between weight gain and pre-diebetes. Basically insulin resistance is when your body fails to break down sugar and stores everything as fat. Visceral fat, mostly around your belly. Doesnt matter if you arent eating sweets, all carbs will get turned into glucose which will turn into fat if you are insulin resistant. I finally asked my doctor to do a test and yep, my A1C was in the per-diabetic range. Every time I would eat, Id have a sweet craving or Id get MORE hungry. You can have the biggest meal in the world and still be hungry. Thats insulin resistance in a nut shell.

So I cut carbs to the bare minimum and started intermittent fasting. My last meal would be at 6PM. Then I would skip breakfast the next morning only having black coffee which doesnt break the fast due to having 0 calories. Eat lunch at 12. 18 hour fast. It was AWFUL for the first few days. My body had adjusted to crave late night snacks and snacks after dinner. I felt like having a drug withdrawl. Hungry, annoyed, and tired. Then in a couple of weeks, my body got used to it. Nights were much better. I could go longer during the day so pushed my lunch to 2PM. 20 hour fast. Then eventually 24 hour fast. No lunch. only dinner. That meant my body was functioning on reserved body fat 12 hours after my dinner, giving me a good 12 hours of fat burning.

Lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Mostly water weight, but have lost 5 pounds each in the last three months. Losing 25 pounds in less than 4 months is insane.

I also walked a lot. Like 10k steps a day. Walking burns fat whereas running burns carbs. It also doesnt tire me and it isnt boring like lifting weights so that was perfect. Still, if you want to lose weight fast, you have to build muscle which will burn more fat at night while you sleep, and weight lifting is the best for that. I still mostly stick to walking. Ive cut down on limiting carbs. Used to have fewer than 50 a day by using low carb breads and protein only diets. But now I have around 60-80 carbs. Some bread and rice. Weight loss has slowed but im still seeing results thanks to intermittent fasting. Im simply not hungry and I didnt have to completely stop eating sweets, fast food and my favorite rice dishes. Though if I had a big lunch from Mcdonalds I would simply skip dinner. IF made my body no longer crave dinner.

Exercise is only 15% of the equation. The rest is having a good diet. You will never be able to eat only vegetables or zero carb protein only diets so thats also impossible. Intermittent Fasting will train your body to not crave food. So at the very least, you wont be snacking at night or between lunch and dinner and you will be saving 300-400 calories by simply not snacking everyday.
I have done intermittent fasting like 5 years at this point, 5/19 split, but if I am hungry on morning or evening, I might break it sometimes. I cant cut carbs anymore since I simply cant afford it. Rice, potatoes and pasta gets factored to the daily calories so, it should be fine. I had blood tests done couple of weeks ago, some fat acid levels were off balance, but nothing on fasting glucose etc. Like said binge eating shit is my main problem. I know I can avoid it for quite a while with zero tolerance, and have done it successfully. But that underlying binge eating problem will most likely follow me to grave, so I have to just deal with it the best I can.

download the Lose It or My Fitness Pal app and start logging in your food intake. stay within your calorie range and you'll start losing weight.

app also adjust depending on your steps/exercise so you'll be motivated to move more. you'll also get educated on your macros so you can make better food choices and stay within target.

my goals are-
1900 calories per day max
125g of protein min
100g of fats min
100g of carbs max

kondorBonk

My office offers $75 a month if you hit a milestone on a pedometer. It's not that uncommon so it may be available to you as well. That's leaving money on the table so I bought a galaxy watch even if I was going to fudge the numbers and shake the hell out of it at the end of each month.

The recommended number of steps for an adult is 10,000 steps a day. That was more of an eye opener of just how badly my daily routine is where even on busy days, I didn't hit that naturally. Its been a more successful reminder of my habits than anything else I've tried in the past. It sounds small but just being able to see progress helps gamify things for me and helped change my routine a lot and even seeped into other aspects like focusing on my diet.

SlimySnake

1. Record what you regularly consume on a given day and calculate the calories. Realize that you'll have to burn more calories than you take in
2. With that number in mind, look into a cardio routine and calculate how many calories it will burn. Such as jogging for X minutes
3. Now with these numbers in mind, know that a pound of fat is about 3500k calories. So you'll need to burn 3500 more calories than you take in to lose a pound

Go from there. Also consider doing some light weight lifting to build muscle. Each pound of muscle will passively consume more calories per day just to maintain. Which will make the weight loss occur slightly more quickly.

Once you reach your ideal weight, merely adjust how much you eat and do cardio again to maintain.

Back in my early 20's I kind of let myself go and gained about 20 pounds. Using the above formula I lost that all in about three months while building some impressive muscle. Edit: oh yea, as SlimySnake SlimySnake mentions below intermittent fasting can really accelerate the weight loss and help you maintain later on. I have a friend that does eat. On the days he eats, he can sometimes eat like a horse. But then he fasts for a day. Dude remains skinny as a rake
I actually struggle to eat a lot. I get full in minutes even after a 24 hour fast which I take as a good thing. The apetite control aspect of intermittent fasting is the best part to me. If I am craving a Cinnabon or a Crumbl cookie, I can have that but a quarter of it is typically enough. I am weak willed so I was never going to be able to completely stop french fries and my sweet craving so this helps me indulge once or twice a week without overeating.

Your 3 suggestions are on point. Id highly recommend everyone to buy an iwatch which does a very good job of keeping track of this stuff. It even has support for some weighing scales which measure everything from body fat to muscle mass. That will help you track how much you are burning everyday and just how mobile you are based on your BMR. Without exercise i was basically burning 2000 calories a day which after eating 2000 calories would NOT have me in a calorie deficit. So burning those 3.5k (not 3500k ;p) calories a week was next to impossible without burning 500 calories during exercise. Wearing an iwatch made me more mobile. I started doing chores around the house. Parking farther away in grocery stores. Went out more with the kids and just focused on standing up every hour (Thank you iwatch reminders.) And just like that my daily calorie burning rate went to 2,400. Cutting calories by just 300-400 meant i was in a deficit of 600-800 a day which is almost $5k a weak. 1.25-1.5 pounds a week which is exactly what i was seeing in he early days and the lower end of what i see in the last three months.

SlimySnake

I have done intermittent fasting like 5 years at this point, 5/19 split, but if I am hungry on morning or evening, I might break it sometimes. I cant cut carbs anymore since I simply cant afford it. Rice, potatoes and pasta gets factored to the daily calories so, it should be fine. I had blood tests done couple of weeks ago, some fat acid levels were off balance, but nothing on fasting glucose etc. Like said binge eating shit is my main problem. I know I can avoid it for quite a while with zero tolerance, and have done it successfully. But that underlying binge eating problem will most likely follow me to grave, so I have to just deal with it the best I can.
What exactly are you binge eating? Try protein shakes or just grill yourself a steak. Protein will fill you up fast and keep you from binge eating. Binging on Carbs will only make you crave more.

There is a new weight loss drug out that basically suppresses your apetite. It was made for diabetes patients but it has done miracles for people struggling to lose weight. Ask your doctor about that. Its expensive but if your doctor can prove you need it due to a medical condition, your insurnace might cover the $1,300 it costs to have 4 injections a month.

To me, this sounds more like a medical condition than a lack of will power that you can conquer by simply staying strong. Maybe see a specialist because in my experience, physicians dont have all the answers.

Raven117

Feel free to stop on by if you want to join the fitness community here on Neogaf. Lots of good advice there. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fitness-ot-pumpin-iron-and-spittin-blood.1507015/

OP,
First thing is first....its nutrition. You cannot out train a bad diet. Walking is great for other health reasons. You really need to zone in on your diet and what you can realistically stick to. If you need to snack, figure out things that you can snack on that are low calorie and satiating (difficult, I know).

Once you get this straightened out, then start upping your exercise. Start small. Maybe walk 10 minutes further. Maybe job a little bit. Maybe hit a gym for a little bit. Start slow and see what you can stick to. That's the main thing. Consistency. Once you get that fixed, it will all fall in place.

Bragr

Banned
Remember, it's not about the calories. I know that sounds like an oxymoron but if it feels like you are eating watered-down meals and you have to force yourself, it's going bad, even if you are losing weight. It's about living in a way where getting leaner is normal.

Eating fewer calories should be normal because it's a part of your life, if it feels like a job then you are just gonna get it back.

In a sense, eating less has to be just as fulfilling as eating what you eat now. How you achieve that is up to you, and you won't find "advice" that will explain it for you online or anywhere else. It's all about how you think about yourself, and only you can figure that out.

Working out and eating less are just tools, the real job is how you perceive it.

Read this:

41amV20d1uL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The only successful weight loss and maintenance regime that has ever existed is to burn the same or more calories than you consume per day, via movement and exercise.

I agree! But it's hard and now there's help. Let me introduce you, my friend, to semaglutide (link to Nature paper on STEP5 trial)

Key results:

The mean change in body weight from baseline to week 104 was −15.2% in the semaglutide group (n = 152) versus −2.6% with placebo (n = 152), for an estimated treatment difference of −12.6 %-points (95% confidence interval, −15.3 to −9.8; P < 0.0001)​
I'm not taking it as I'm lucky and thin, but the effects for those who need the help are outstanding. Check it out, the GLP-1 field is really coming alive.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Binge eating shit is my problem, otherwise eat healthy and walking is my exercise method.

I assume you mean junk food.

You can mix in healthy foods and walk all you like, but if you continue to binge eat shit then you'll never lose weight.

Cutting out all crap food is going to be hard, but you're going to have to do it for while. I'm not saying never eat junk food again, but you need to go 'cold turkey' to avoid a binge. You need to go Spartan for a long time to get into the habit of eating healthy. Eventually you'll enjoy the healthy options more than the shit, processed crap.

Next, change your workout. Walking is fine, but for walking to really be considered a worth while weight loss workout you're going to have to hike for miles and/or walk at a serious pace.

Go to the gym. Weight lifting is great for getting into shape and has a host of other amazing health benefits. Not joking here, but if possible also make sure you bang on a daily basis. Not just a quick five minutes, but going at it like hammer and tong for at least 40-50 minutes a day. Better than going for a run!

Overall, you'll need to be disciplined. That's the only way you're going to lose wight. You're going to do things you currently may not enjoy with the same vigour as if you fucking love them. Get up a 5AM. Work out at least 5 days a week. Eat clean (try to only eat food that grew out of the ground or used to have a face).

Good luck, OP.

Fatmanp

In October 2015 I decided to lose weight. I was 380lbs. Got down to 175lbs in about 14 months. Have been in the 175 to 190 range in that period. Decided to bulk at the beginning of September. Started at 175.4lbs and currently 177.8lbs. My lifts are going through the noob gains phase but I am about 85% the way back to my PBs from four years ago after only doing weight training for 6 weeks(I took a break after illness and just never picked it back up instead stuck with light cardio).

Personally, I'm down 45lb on the year with maybe another 45 to go. I'm more focused on how my body looks and functions than hitting a specific number.

If you don't cook, learn to. I hate it myself, but it is necessary. Unfortunately, it's the only way to have real control over what you are actually eating.

I'm vaguely in the ketovore w/ fasting mixed in plan. Works great, fasting is a powerful tool. And keto sets you up to not have hunger pangs on your fast.

I'm no longer a believer in counting calories. If you can count your calories and restrict them to something reasonable (maybe 1800 cal minimum) and get results, without feeling hungry all the time... go ahead and do it. If you want to track data, I'd track: protein, carbs (and break this down w/ fiber and sugars), and fat. For me at least, eating what I like, just "less" of it to meet some arbitrary calorie number is not sustainable in the long term. Weeks? Sure. Months? Usually. Years? Nope. Because I was always hungry. Changing what you eat is more important than changing how much you eat IMO.

Feed yourself with the outside aisles at the grocery store. Minimally processed real foods. Bacon. Eggs. Butter. Steaks. Vegetables. Fruits (if you must). Packaged processed food is designed to make you hungry:
Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

As far as exercise goes, try to do things that are a bit more interval-y. Get that heart rate up. Don't try to live in the 'fat-burning zone'. It's bullshit. I mean any exercise is good don't get me wrong, but go hard. The harder you can go the better. And it suppresses hunger whereas light cardio tends to increase hunger. And "lift heavy" is always good advice. For my part I've just been doing bodyweight exercises at home. Bodyweight squats, pushups, pull-ups. No shame in cheater push-ups or using a step to help you get through the pull-up motions. When I started I couldn't do a real push-up. Now I can. The pull-up ain't there yet but sooner or later it will be. If your muscles feel dead or your reps or times are getting worse, take a day or two off. Working hard every other day is better than working light/medium every day in my experience.

When in doubt, remember eating fat is healthy and satiating, and nothing has done more damage to our health than the 'low-fat' craze.

Don't drink your calories. Water, unsweetened coffee and tea. No sugar. Fruit smoothie? I consider that a cheat meal.

If you really must bust out some sweeteners I'd go with erythritol, monk fruit, stevia, and allulose. Avoid the aspartames and sucraloses. I.e. when in doubt try to eat something that exists naturally in living things.

The fitness/dieting world is highly tribal right now so you're going to have to sift through all the contradicting info that's out there.

Diet and exercise aren't everything. Make sure you're getting adequate healthy consistent sleep. Get your blood checked to see if your testosterone levels are good (and 'low-normal' isn't what I'd call good) and that your thyroid is working properly.

Good luck.

Raven117

In October 2015 I decided to lose weight. I was 380lbs. Got down to 175lbs in about 14 months. Have been in the 175 to 190 range in that period. Decided to bulk at the beginning of September. Started at 175.4lbs and currently 177.8lbs. My lifts are going through the noob gains phase but I am about 85% the way back to my PBs from four years ago after only doing weight training for 6 weeks(I took a break after illness and just never picked it back up instead stuck with light cardio).
Good job dude!

belmarduk

You can get fat from antipsychotic medications? I've heard people say that but I've always thought it was the same as people saying they were big-boned.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Prior to moving to Mexico in 2016, I suffered depression and ate my way up to 320 lbs. The first photo of my wife and I in Disneyland from 2017 sorta shows that. I was about 290 lbs then...
LZlc0IC.jpg

I ended up with a blood disorder similar to Lupus in 2017 and nearly died. The hemotologist suggested that my toxic diet played a part and I could never eat junk food agqin. Drink only water or one cup of coffee, all natural foods, only natural salts or sugars, nothing processed, no cooking oils, fast food, etc. From 2017 to 2019 I dropped down to 162 lbs. I've kept fit, so I'm at 148 right now. This is a lifetime diet and it worked.
YdnV0r2.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Summer creates pressure on people to look good. I was a very athletic 150lbs but forced myself to 130lbs, 20lb weight loss.

Durien

I did 4 years of Muy Thai/ Taekwondo mix 4 times a week. Only missing on super rare occasion. I went from almost 200 to staying at an ideal weight of 174. I didn't have much of a change in diet, just those 4 hours a week.

I stopped going and it has been about 6 years and I am back at almost 200. (The place I was going to closed down). Was about to start going again when covid hit. Try doing martial arts in a mask after not doing it for a while...lol my body felt like it just couldn't get enough oxygen.

In short, the best thing to do is find a routine and stick to it. I think science says if you do something for 90 days it becomes a habit. Find a gym with like minded people, go to the y and do classes. Individually, it takes a lot more to keep at it. With a group, you have people to not only push you to go, but to also push you to go farther.

poodaddy

I was 295 lbs at my worst. Lost a little over a hundred pounds to join the Army, found a love for weightlifting and general fitness around 21 years of age that I've maintained to this day. I no longer associate weight with health, and I recommend most people toss their scale in the trash and stop staring at a mirror. Focus on what you can do, whether you're getting stronger and faster, rather than how you look and what you weigh. I was 195 in the Army pretty much my whole time in, I'm stronger, faster, and feel just generally more rigid and sturdy than I ever did in the Army and I'm 230. I've got some belly fat, but I don't care about vanity weight and I couldn't give a shit about a six pack. My lifts are decent, I'm still fast, and I walk four miles a day for just general conditioning and heart health. People tend to overcomplicate being healthy, just eat lots of fruits and veggies, eat high protein but limit your meat a bit, eat probiotics, take walks often, and, probably most importantly, LIFT. I can't stress the importance of lifting. You don't have to be a super strong mutant of muscle, but engage in some form of resistance training man, nothing retards the aging process more.

My first degree is in Exercise Science, for whatever that's worth. I love this shit man, and I started as a complete fatty. Was fat for almost fifteen years. It's always possible man, and it's not super hard even, just gotta be consistent and persistent.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best i ever did was 10kg in a week and 30kg in a month loss. Would not advice was pretty brutal.

U lose weight by eating right, training is basically just a amplifier, but can also make you more hungry specially if you train muscles a lot.

A good tactic to lose weight is, to only buy healthy food u don't like to eat. U will eat them as limited as u can because u simple don't like it. Also train 3 times a week for a hour while at it. U will see progression sooner rather then later.

And with drinks, water is default everything else is bonus.

Your weight will follow automatically and so will your health improvements. Don't lose weight with the goal of i want to lose weight. Lose weight by improving your lifestyle and it will stay gone forever.
How do you do a crash diet of about 24 lbs in a week? Did you eat anything?!!! Please tell, maybe I'll try it!

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Don’t do anything in extremes, take your time or you will burnout.

1. Reduce your food intake, nothing drastic, your stomach will gradually change so you get full faster, eating slower is a great method at accomplishing this because it takes a while before your body realises it’s full.

Learning the above skill means you barely need to change anything.

2. Exercise, you’re walking which is great, what you want to do next is gradually add more physicality to it, such as the below graph.

images

Again, take your time and don’t push yourself too much, otherwise you’ll likely quit and get no where, eventually you can wear your body down without going to extremes.

MrMephistoX

In my experience it was alcohol leading to increased appetite: I quit drinking in June kept up closing my rings walking my dog 5 X a week and lost 45 lbs at this point: still have a lot to go but that was enough to encourage me to keep being sober…now I just have to deal with all the psychological baggage I was masking getting plowed.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Don’t do anything in extremes, take your time or you will burnout.

1. Reduce your food intake, nothing drastic, your stomach will gradually change so you get full faster, eating slower is a great method at accomplishing this because it takes a while before your body realises it’s full.

Learning the above skill means you barely need to change anything.

2. Exercise, you’re walking which is great, what you want to do next is gradually add more physicality to it, such as the below graph.

N

Again, take your time and don’t push yourself too much, otherwise you’ll likely quit and get no where, eventually you can wear your body down without going to extremes.
Correct. I tried crash diets in my 20's and would weight back about as fast as I lost it. There's no miracle way of losing weight fast. It's a matter of mindset and discipline and knowing what your goal is. If your goal is to loae a few to get down to an ideal weight, it's pretty easy gain it back over Thsnksgiving or Christmas 😉

It's this simple really:

- Drink about 3 liters of water or more throughout the span of 12-hours. It makes it easy to just buy a tumbler and carry it everywhere. I keep a large one in my office and get up regularly to change it -- even if it's during a board meet

- Try eating mostly boiled vegetables, integral rice, fruits (no adding sugar...they have all the sugar your body needs, integral breads (lay low on carbs , flour and all that good stuff), boiled eggs or scrambled without heavy cooking oils or added salt, natural oatmeal (try avoid Quaker Oats if possible...), lean meats like fish

- If you fancy a steak, make sure it's clean cut, stove top with olive oil or grilled is fine (don't get to frivilous with seasonings though) and it should be no bigger than the size of a deck of playing cards. Portion sizes should be smaller unless you're doing fitness in which you'd need a higher carb and protein intake

- Snacking is fine if it's small things like rice cakes and such

- Take time to eat a meal

- Basic fitness like cardio is really important. You don't want much loose skin

Overall, try not to visit the scale more than once every couple of weeks. Progress takea time. Some lose weight faster than others. Try setting small goals and surround yourself only with those who'll motivate you.

I hope that helps StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige or anyone else curious. Going on 5-years and I've never gained back. You can do it.

Just be consistent. Eat less than you need; that's really it for most people.

I bulked 30LB last winter and cut it all during the summer. For gaining weight: just added protein bars, shakes, and extra portions (e.g. 4 instead of 3 chicken breasts; 1 cup of rice instead of 1/2, etc.). For losing weight: the opposite (replaced my lunch with half my dinner; ate the other half at dinner time; removed all snacks; halved breakfast). It's not complex but you need to accept the hunger. Added bonus: lift weights and let the gainz motivate you further.

Kenpachii

How do you do a crash diet of about 24 lbs in a week? Did you eat anything?!!! Please tell, maybe I'll try it!

By being top fit almost already.

10kg/22lbs a week: ( 25 years old )

For example that week looked something like this food wise:

Musli a small bowl of it in the morning with water mixed, it had some mixed fruits in there. Just enough for your body to function really that's 10 am i started to eat it, at 3 pm i ate again a small bowl of it, and evening i would always ate the always the same, salad with, a few pieces of chicken + a small can of tuna in it with a tiny bit of dressing. Drink only water the entire day. I was already on this diet for about half a year so it was easy at this point to keep this going.

Eat some egg white for muscle recovery ( small glass of it at the end of the training )

Extreme training.

Every day training, every day weight training of atleast 4 hours, with 1-2 hours of extreme cardio ( non stop sweating ).

As at one point i gained some weight and shredded it all incredible fast people asked me at the gym how much i actually could lose weight, i decided to put it to the test as i needed to shred 10 kg which i gained over the months by eating heavy sugar jells for keeping my energy up to bike 14 hours a day ( extreme sport ), i put it to the test and it took me a week. ( i worked 10-14 hours a day at this point with it, which wasn't a lot of movement but still some )

30kg/66lbs a month, ( 35 years old )

Another discussion at one point came forwards, a while back ( half a year ago i think ), that in your later 30's its harder to lose weight because of u getting older. I decided to put this to the test as i think its bullshit. However as i didn't had the condition or time to spend that amount in the gym anymore, i changed my goal to a month and see how far i would get.

This involved eating carrots as snack and throughout the day, and eating a premade supermarket salad every evening + drinking water only ( 1 meal a day ), with 6-10 hours of cardio and weight training (1:3 ratio ) every week spread out over the days. I would for example go hard on friday evening / saturday morning / sunday morning / monday evening and then chill out the rest of the week.

About losing weight.

If u start from scratch, i would say do the following. first diet and get a steady healthy diet going for a few weeks or months until u get used towards it. Training unlike populaire believe isn't much interesting for losing weight specially if you do weight straining, it helps don't get me wrong and u will get fitter but doing all at the same time can be mentally exhausting specially if you got a busy life.

After u get used towards eating healthy and drop some weight, u start to move into the gym by doing some basic shit, minimal and if you got some goal go for that but don't over do it. Just keep eating and drinking healthy.

Now the trick of not cheating with food is to not ever eat different.

I realised when i was in my 20's i ate shit food, because i didn't know how to make food well. Shit food would be easy to get and i would eat that.
Whenever i was hungry, i just wanted something right now to eat, not something that i had to prepare first and then eat, way to tired for that shit i want to eat now. So preparing something that is extremely easy to eat is absolute a must.

So what i would have, is always a big bowl of water melon cut up in my fridge, whenever i wanted something now i would slay that.
I also learned to make healthy food super quick, for example, open a bag of mixes salad, throw in a bowl, get some chicken blocks and drop them in a pan to bake they are tiny so they are done super quick, then drop some tuna can in there + some salad sauce and the chicken in there on top of it, mix with 2 forks and eating time. I would already start eating however when my salad was done and my chicken needed another minute..

I also realized that, making different food was just trash every day. So i just decided to have a stock food setup i would eat every single day, unless i had some more time and that was the salad + musli + water.

I would never cheat, not on party's not anywhere. Not even if i am on a visit, u want this? no thanks just some water.

Now if u end up getting sick or whatever, because for some reason u miss out on shit, i just supplement with vitamin pills and if i feel like i miss something i just pull open a chicken soup instead of a salad and eat that shit, always makes me healthy again the next day. I did this for about 2 years at one point and was training like a nut with it.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I started my weight loss journey with intermittent fasting on January 4th. To date I've lost 34 pounds and I went from weighting 150 to currently I weigh 115 pounds. I am no longer trying to lose weight, but instead I have been maintaining my weight somewhere between 115 and 120 pounds for the past month and a half. I am 23 years old and I weigh what I did when I was 16/17.

I also have noticed that I have more energy since I started fasting, and that I am less hangry. My moods are much more consistent.

Yamisan

Stopping all alcohol if you drink often will help a lot. There is no need for fancy diets, just remember Calories out must be higher than calories in or you won't lose weight. I did intermittent fasting and it didn't help at all, the only benefit it really has for people it preventing them from eating more calories but if you stick to a calorie limit it'll be useless. More and more studies have been coming out calling out the BS fad of IF.

MacReady13

Developed type 2 diabetes 10 years ago (31 years of age). Went from around 115 kgs down to 70 kgs in about 6 months due to cutting out crap and lowering sugar intake to near zero levels, or as low as I could go!

Slowly but surely as my type 2 went into remission I put some weight back on. Got back to 100 kgs and was so upset with myself. Used to jog, walk and keep fit 4-5 times a week. Kids and work started taking over and the weight was slowly piling on.

Decided to see a doctor for my full bloods 6 months ago. Fearing the worst I was presented with type 2 coming back and cholesterol getting high. I decided to eat less and cut out sugar (again)! So far I have dropped to under 90 kgs without much exercise and just smaller portion sizes. Decided this time to take my time and not drop the weight so quick. Trying to make my new way of life manageable for the long term. I really do want to see my kids grow up and (hopefully) get married, have kids or do whatever they want! I don't want to die young.

Went back to the docs 3 months after my full bloods and my cholesterol had dropped and sugar levels back to normal! I am booked in again next month for bloods again to see how I have progressed and am confident I will be fine and continue to get healthier, prolonging my life.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
On most days you want eat meals full of fiber and micronutrients: beans greens/veggies nuts seeds mushrooms onions berries whole grains that fiber and nutrients will make you feel full and satiated for longer

Last edited:

Haemi

I'm 1,81m tall. After finishing my bachelor, i carried 117kg around. This was 7 years ago.

In september 2015 i started to count calories and lost 30kg in the next 2 years, just by eating less.

I stayed at 87-89kg for some time. After buying a house in 2018 my weight went up to 96kg. Renovating makes hungry...

It was the start of the pandemic, i set my goal to 75kg and achieved it one year later. Again by adjusting my calory intake to my lifestyle. But i lost a lot of muscle mass in that time.

I'm currently at 81kg. Body fat stayed almost the same, but got my muscles back.

My goal is now to get back to 75kg, but add muscles in the process. I'm bouldering, doing some calisthenics at home, hiking and doing a beginners course in dancing. And i'm making good progress.

Learn what and how much you are allowed to eat. Constantly adjust your intake to what you need minus the calories to loose weight. But add some sport to counter the muscle loss!

Last edited:

EekTheKat

For me it was a mix of lifestyle changes that helped.

First was fixing sleep. Went from 4 hours a day to about 6-7.

I've been subconsciously doing 12 hour fasts of sorts on top of smaller healthier meals with low carb + low sugar. The low carb thing is hilariouly difficult with the amount of carbs my family and friends all love to eat daily, while the sugar thing is down to simply not buying sweets or sweet snacks.

This plus some time in the gym helped a ton. Going to the gym required a huge change in mindset, as I had to force myself to go even if I don't want to go. Write down what you do and how many reps each time you go to the gym, and having a podcast to listen to made gym time go super fast.

At my age, it's either do this now or literally die. So the choice to make changes was relatively simple.

oh and don't look at the scale every day. That will drive you nuts. Set a routine and stick by it.

edit - forgot to mention I went from 95-96kg down to about 91kg in a few months. Probably could go faster but I'm just happy to be headed in the right direction. I've been warned about cutting too fast and how harmful that could be so I just went at a pace that I felt comfortable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom