• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Double Dragon History: A complete embarrassment?

Belmonte

I like Top Hat Gaming videos but I strongly disagree with this one.

I never played the game as a kid/teen. The characters didn't have the charming sprites of NES DD and were too small and unimpressive when comparing to the likes of Final Fight and Streets of Rage, but last year I tried and it blew my mind.

Return of Double Dragon (the much better japanese version of Super Double Dragon)is anything but "extremely basic and dated". In fact it evolved the brawler gameplay in many ways. There are so many moves that the player can express himself in the fights, something I would experience only with brawlers post Devil May Cry.

The punches and kicks are much more natural than other brawlers. Sometimes feels like a martial art movie. It feels unfinished without the cut scenes and I wish there was more platforming but Return of Double Dragon is one of the best beat em ups I ever played. Ridiculously underrated.

Futaleufu

My biggest problem with the game is how slow it is, I don't know if that's due to the SNES slow CPU or Technos programmers incompetence. it's like they had some ideas for a beat'em up and just built a game around them, everything else is too vanilla, no passion at all in this project.

The character sprites are ugly and the game doesn't have a feel of progression through stages. And then it just ends, no crescendo, no rised stakes, nothing, the same enemies over and over.

Compare it to Combatribes released the year before, now that's a beat'em up worthy of being the sequel of Double Dragon.

RAIDEN1

Somehow Double Dragon lost its way with the increased "competition" from the likes of Final Fight, Streetfighter 2 and Streets of Rage, not to mention that Turtles in Time was infinitely the better game...

This is one of the best beat em ups ever made. Some of the best animations and most thoughtful moves. You actually have side kicks, low/high double roundhouse, realistic looking hook kick and spin crescent kick. Looks like the people who did the animations actually were martial artists. Even the hook punches actually have weight and look correct, like he puts his body weight behind the punches. On top of that, you actually have a block / counter for the first time. Don't get me started on how cool the staff and nunchuks were.

Last edited:
Top Bottom