• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons ( Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox series X, One)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Prepare to throw down the Double Dragon way in this fresh addition to the iconic beat ‘em up franchise. It’s the year 199X, and nuclear war has devastated New York City leaving its citizens to fight for survival as riots and crime engulf the streets. The city has been overtaken by criminal gangs who terrorize its ruins as they fight for total dominance. Unwilling to endure these conditions any longer, young Billy and Jimmy Lee take it upon themselves to drive the gangs out of their city.

double-dragon-gaiden-rise-of-the-dragons-753757.9.jpg

SNS-WD-USA.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

The best games in the franchise will always be Double Dragon 2 and Super Double Dragon. Although the best "History" is Double Dragon 3. Double Dragon 3 felt like an 80s-90s action movie thriller.

NES_Double_Dragon_III_cover.jpg

I'm upset with Double Dragon Neon Video Game reviewers, which is an excellent game with a great OST.

description-image

SNES_Double_Dragon_V_-_The_Shadow_Falls_cover_art.jpg

👆
This game was disgusting.:sick:

That was a decent Arcade game

The Double Dragon franchise characteristic

"the helicopter kick "

BountifulAssuredBobwhite-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Romulus

What is going on with this thread? Do I get all the original Double Dragon games with this as a bundle or is this an opinion piece on the whole franchise and also the announcement for Rise of the Dragons?

Btw, the new game's art style is awful. Completely steers away from the gritty feel of the originals

Heimdall_Xtreme

What is going on with this thread? Do I get all the original Double Dragon games with this as a bundle or is this an opinion piece on the whole franchise and also the announcement for Rise of the Dragons?

Btw, the new game's art style is awful. Completely steers away from the gritty feel of the originals
A bit of everything xD

Saber

Gold Member
You guys should discuss with that touchy 8 year old kid member who loves to disagree with the major opinion about this ugly art style by using penis jokes to show how mature he is.

Last edited:

CamHostage

And some separation from the originals I could deal with. Even something completely different I'm open to. The issue is, this mobile shit style is terrible.

Well, could have been worse for those who don't like this graphic style: instead of putting a Gaiden on the title, they could have called this Double Dragon 6.

Who knows if there'll ever be another mainline DD. But the brand holder is still trying stuff with the name. (They keep pulling surprises with this series, especially the wholly-unexpected Double Dragon 2 NES sequel they called Double Dragon IV.) And some developers have a house style; this is what this company Secret Base does (their previous brawler Streets of Red had sort of a chibi style too,) and Arc System Works liked it enough to let them do DD.

Last edited:

wondermega

While the first reveal of this gave me kind of an "ick...?" feeling, thinking on it for a bit I don't really mind. The game still looks really fun and well-crafted. It's not classic DD per se, I will always prefer the "Kunio" look they had in the early NES games (and 90s post-punk dystopic arcade style as well!) but the brand has been pretty mothballed for a long time. This isn't a bad way to come back, at all. Just make it fun, is all I care about! It looks funky, but not offensive, and could even grow on me..

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Do you mean the hairstyle of the blonde one?

On both covers they have physiques that would take a ton of time to attain in the gym.
Nah, just the face and haristyle mostly.

It looks like those characters you find in shoujo manga
Usually it consists of males with androgynous faces, mostly soft skin and round curves.

You know, women's "prince charming" figure
I wouldn't be surprised if the cover artist was a woman.

Look at Berserk for instance, Guts is the muscular brute with a square face, and Griffith the slim and elegant swordsman.
Miura designed Griffith as non-muscular so that he would appear more elegant and noble that way.

thumb-1920-808399.jpg

But a muscular dude with Griffith's face just looks kinda weird.
These are people that fight in the streets. Regardless of who are the "nice guys", they shouldn't look so innocent.

Heimdall_Xtreme

While the first reveal of this gave me kind of an "ick...?" feeling, thinking on it for a bit I don't really mind. The game still looks really fun and well-crafted. It's not classic DD per se, I will always prefer the "Kunio" look they had in the early NES games (and 90s post-punk dystopic arcade style as well!) but the brand has been pretty mothballed for a long time. This isn't a bad way to come back, at all. Just make it fun, is all I care about! It looks funky, but not offensive, and could even grow on me..

What is kunio?

wondermega

What is kunio?
Prior to DD, in the early days Technos made a game about a street-fighting punk-type named Kunio Kun, localized in the west as Renegade (which is very obviously the direct ancestor of DD). The Kunio style had a very specific mascot-look which went on to be used in other Technos 8bit games (River City Ransom, Dodgeball, Crash & The Boys, etc). The original NES game very obviously drew from this look, although it wasn't as blatant in the arcade games.

NES Renegade/Kunio-Kun

A5Z4rci.jpg

NES Double Dragon
vdSOOQf.jpg

NES River City Ransom
f6gu1Nv.jpg

NES Super Dodgeball
vyq4QOX.jpg

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I've so many good memories about playing Super Double Dragon with my brother and cousin. I can't remember any of the OST name but they were awesome. After our session on the Snes, we would go outside fighting invisible thugs pretending we were on a mission.

Damn those were the best time.

Nah, just the face and haristyle mostly.

It looks like those characters you find in shoujo manga
Usually it consists of males with androgynous faces, mostly soft skin and round curves.
I suppose I agree on the blonde guy's face. I feel like they're going more for the modern built/athletic types who just either look youthful or practice really good hygiene methods.

When I think of androgynous/shoujo style, I think more of this:

eafd7c31674179a8da597a8552eeae7e.jpg
1bc82b546922416f42918d740d9484b3--tokyo-street-style-tokyo-street-fashion.jpg
0e93fbdac8ff279bbea238d050bdd064--male-models-bathing.jpg

That cover art reminds me more of this:

82c919ec4211a49a0fbb4aec73b24cd7.jpg

233b8cbb20d88d47130e4cbc97dc84b8.jpg

The bottom two would still look skinnier in T-shirts(aside from maybe their arms). This isn't Arnold or Stallone bodybuilding/juiced builds(of whom most 80s heroes art was designed after), but the bottom two are still physiques that most people wouldn't come close to having unless they put in a ton of time doing so. Honestly aside from faces, they're not that far off from UFC builds/body types:

maxresdefault.jpg

CGNoire

This art style is eye cancer.

These retro games are always 8bit never 16bit no matter what they say. Clearly none of these studios have the talent for 16 bit graphics or there just being lazy.

kubricks

And that's one of the main issues.

They need testosterone and a manly square face that can take many punches.

Modern depiction of men are often muscular but a bit feminine looking in comparison to the ultra masculine in the 80~90s.
That's just the way it is.

And come on now pretty boy Garcia is some of the exceptions not the norm.
When I think fighter I think John Jones and Khabib Nurmagomedov and alike lol.

Modern depiction of men are often muscular but a bit feminine looking in comparison to the ultra masculine in the 80~90s.
That's just the way it is.

And come on now pretty boy Garcia is some of the exceptions not the norm.
When I think fighter I think John Jones and Khabib Nurmagomedov and alike lol.
The true answer is that at a certain point it comes down to genetics and timing. The 'everyman' look took over in mid to late 90s Hollywood after the extremely buff/juiced/roided 80s/early 90s look. Keanu, Dicaprio, Travolta, Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Denzel, Tom Hanks, etc. So of course other media would start to reflect this change.

I guess I just don't see the problem with the design on that cover, considering the modern inspirations of fit, good looking hollywood stars that they might have drawn from. It's fun to discuss though.

kubricks

The true answer is that at a certain point it comes down to genetics and timing. The 'everyman' look took over in mid to late 90s Hollywood after the extremely buff/juiced/roided 80s/early 90s look. Keanu, Dicaprio, Travolta, Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Denzel, Tom Hanks, etc. So of course other media would start to reflect this change.

I guess I just don't see the problem with the design on that cover, considering the modern inspirations of fit, good looking hollywood stars that they might have drawn from. It's fun to discuss though.

Nah don't get me wrong I am fine with that cover. It's a lot more modern anime compared to previous double dragon entries but I am ok with the changes; it's not necessary better or worse, it's different.

Top Bottom