• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super LTTP: The Nanny (1993) TV series

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Edit: Season 5 update after the Original Post.

I was traveling in Europe recently and wanted something to pass time during the flights and trains, something that was light and warm and easy to get into. Somehow youtube showed first episode and it felt perfect so I continued watching.

Not even sure if people know/remember this series still. Stars Fran Drescher as an outspoken, quick on her feet but kinda dumb and funny Jewish woman who suddenly becomes a nanny at a rich mansion. And of course there is a handsome widowed father there too.

Its cliched and formulaic but it just works for me. Its often funny, self-referential and the whole cast is very likeable. Its a warm cozy world to get into, an era gone by that feels nostalgic. Fran is a very gifted comedic actor, and often very good at physical comedy too (which I've seen very few women do on TV). There are many super famous cameos too.

I know its unrealistic and a real person like Fran's character would be extremely irritating in real life, and nor a nanny would behave like that and keep her job. But her boss is extremely forgiving and I suppose thats part of the charm- things somehow are alright at the end always and nobody takes anything to heart.

The only slight issue I had initially was that everyone was really harsh on the Cici babcock character. I somehow adored her. And it helps that she is super hot (much hotter than Fran IMHO). Just watched season 3 episode 1 and boy does she have some knockers on her. Yamahama! Enjoy!

Update after season 5.

Yeah in this season the nanny character sucks ass. In earlier seasons she was a bumbling lady who caused smaller issues and ruckuses (mostly involving the children) and was endearing for the most part. But now she has turned into a caricature of herself (jumped the shark? flanderized?)- a complete buffoon who is so irritating and causes so many issues that no one would want to be around her, let alone keep her as an employee. Its no longer as funny cause her acts now make us hate her and not endear. Also the children are mostly written out and all this show revolves around is her attempts to somehow get Mr.Sheffield to fuck her, which can only be stretched to an extent.

UkgMgrH.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I rewatched the whole series not long ago and my impressions were mixed. It starts out really good (like season 1-3) but then it kinda gets stale. Last season is straight out horrible.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Love that that series! Cult classic in my country. Miles is awesome too.

1 - Seinfeld
2 Married with children
3 the nanny
4 Malcom in the middle
5 grounded for life (underrated AF)

Seinfeld is the best TV series ever!
Niles spiting insults to C.C. never got old.

Agreed. His zingers and delivery are absolute bangers.

I rewatched the whole series not long ago and my impressions were mixed. It starts out really good (like season 1-3) but then it kinda gets stale. Last season is straight out horrible.

i am only on season 3. I can see the shtick getting old but hoping for the best.

The blonde chick hotter than the nanny?

disturbing-i-think-not.gif

Did you see the image I posted in the OT?

GymWolf

Seinfeld is the best TV series ever!

Agreed. His zingers and delivery are absolute bangers.

i am only on season 3. I can see the shtick getting old but hoping for the best.

Did you see the image I posted in the OT?
Of course, and the nanny is still way hotter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Of course, and the nanny is still way hotter.
It makes you think they changed her background to Italian when they ported it over and her mom became her aunt, they almost made it work 😂. Still better than most of the “Gli Occhi del Cuore” level of TV that was produced in house though…

sCHOCOLATE

One of the funniest bits from an episode had Fran and Cici having a chat at a sushi bar. Fran unwittingly jams a pile of wasabi in her mouth. Hilarity ensues as her voice goes from the high-pitched whine to a near baritone and then back again.

One of the funniest bits from an episode had Fran and Cici having a chat at a sushi bar. Fran unwittingly jams a pile of wasabi in her mouth. Hilarity ensues as her voice goes from the high-pitched whine to a near baritone and then back again.
I actually remember that episode. I used to have a big crush on Fran Drescher so I'd watch The Nanny every morning before going to work.

I also want to add that the actor who played the butler is pretty good. He was also in one of my favorite episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation where he played a holodeck Moriarty.

There are actually two episodes where he played that role in the series and I would highly recommend it. It was The Matrix before The Matrix.

Last edited:

Ryu1999

Interesting; I was just thinking of binging this show as I'd only seen a few episodes back when it was originally airing and I have a 90s nostalgia bug.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Update after season 5.

Yeah in this season the nanny character sucks ass. In earlier seasons she was a bumbling lady who caused smaller issues and ruckuses (mostly involving the children) and was endearing for the most part. But now she has turned into a caricature of herself (jumped the shark? flanderized?)- a complete buffoon who is so irritating and causes so many issues that no one would want to be around her, let alone keep her as an employee. Its no longer as funny cause her acts now make us hate her and not endear. Also the children are mostly written out and all this show revolves around is her attempts to somehow get Mr.Sheffield to fuck her, which can only be stretched to an extent.

Top Bottom