• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid - Alternatives to SNES

Sanjuro

I recently had the desire to play Super Metroid again. After getting halfway through the game another day I went to go play it again and the game save had been wiped clean. I wanted to kill myself for several minutes and then gave up.

Anyway my purpose here is, does anyone know of emulation on a console that is made for this game or can play this game at 100%? Out of all the damn games Nintendo released I'm surprised they never did this one again. If not I may just wait for the Revolution.

Sanjuro

zooL said:
Wait a few days/weeks/months/years for SNES emus on PSP to gain perfection.

I'm not wasting $250 again on that system or trying to find one that works properly with the right firmware and such.

Kulock said:
I don't think that's a question you want to ask here. You should seriously consider editing that.

I'm not asking where I can find ROMs or anything, its nothing worse than whats being discussed in the handheld emu threads.

Papi said:
Revolution.

I think I'll probably have to yeah. Give me a good reason to purchase a game and test their new hardware abilities if they indeed to all cost money off the bat.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyway my purpose here is, does anyone know of emulation on a console that is made for this game or can play this game at 100%?

If you have a PC handy, couldn't you attach it to your TV and grab a pad converter for your pad of choice? ZSNES handles the game better than a real SNES...

Sanjuro

dark10x said:
If you have a PC handy, couldn't you attach it to your TV and grab a pad converter for your pad of choice? ZSNES handles the game better than a real SNES...

I'm thinking that, I have a hi-def tv and a while ago I almost blew out the damn tv because I had it on a PAL frequency. I have a XBOX controller converter that would be fine for SNES. Do you know if you can format ZNES for 16X9 so it could stretch out a little bit but not have the stretched look?

dark10x

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I'm thinking that, I have a hi-def tv and a while ago I almost blew out the damn tv because I had it on a PAL frequency. I have a XBOX controller converter that would be fine for SNES. Do you know if you can format ZNES for 16X9 so it could stretch out a little bit but not have the stretched look?

Sadly, no. It's 4:3 only.

Sanjuro

dark10x said:
Sadly, no. It's 4:3 only.

Alright no biggie. Another thing I should have asked last post was do you have a program that FITS the image on your tv properly. I dunno if you have HD, but when I would view it on the tv I would get some of the image slightly cut off. I have a Radeon X800 and the component outputs for it. Last one I used was the ATI's tv out and had the problem formatting with that.

dark10x

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Alright no biggie. Another thing I should have asked last post was do you have a program that FITS the image on your tv properly. I dunno if you have HD, but when I would view it on the tv I would get some of the image slightly cut off. I have a Radeon X800 and the component outputs for it. Last one I used was the ATI's tv out and had the problem formatting with that.

Yeah, I run everything at 720p...

I do not know about the ATI card, but on my 6800, the control panel allows you to adjust the visible resolution. For example, I am displaying everything at 1152x648. The actual output is still 1280x720, but the visible image is limited to 1152x648 to prevent the image from sitting off screen. Works very very well.

Sanjuro

dark10x said:
Yeah, I run everything at 720p...

I do not know about the ATI card, but on my 6800, the control panel allows you to adjust the visible resolution. For example, I am displaying everything at 1152x648. The actual output is still 1280x720, but the visible image is limited to 1152x648 to prevent the image from sitting off screen. Works very very well.

Alright cool. I'll try that display although I do 1080i, my tv doesn't support 720p. I'm gonna go fuck with it a bit, I might post back if sucess fails me.

I think you coul call Nintendo and ask them how much it'd cost to replace the battery. I'm guessing probably not a hell of a lot. Last I checked NES stuff was no longer supported, but SNES should be... I think.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I am going to go buy a SNES cleaning kit tonight, or maybe a new SNES. Mine has this vertical line shit still going on. I think I will buy super metroid too. :)

Sanjuro

scola said:
I am going to go buy a SNES cleaning kit tonight, or maybe a new SNES. Mine has this vertical line shit still going on. I think I will buy super metroid too. :)

That could have been the problem, I remember having a problem getting it started and pulled the game in and out a bit, never during loading or save but still. Could have been that :(

BTW: The tv output is being too much of a hassle for me. I got it to look nice on the HDTV and everything, but it kept screwing up my monitor res. and kept getting lines scrolling down the tv.

zooL said:
Wait a few days/weeks/months/years for SNES emus on PSP to gain perfection.

Yes, paying $250 dollars for a leading edge technology handheld or $200 to $300 for a next gen system in order to play 10-15+ year old games is a wise way to spend your money.

Gaming is never going to move forward....

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
FirstInHell said:
Yes, paying $250 dollars for a leading edge technology handheld or $200 to $300 for a next gen system in order to play 10-15+ year old games is a wise way to spend your money.

have you ever purchased a new tv?

Sanjuro

FirstInHell said:

That is also fine. When moving foreward you mean creating games that still cannot outshine the older ones? I rather replay Super Metroid than play pretty much any new game that is coming out.

scola said:
have you ever purchased a new tv?

Yes I have.

However I fail to see how it applies to spending money on a PSP in order to play 10 year old games. What enjoyment do you derive from playing Super Metroid 5,000 times?

I can think of many games released recently that I would rather play than Super Metroid a 10+ year old game as well as a game that I have already played.

Sanjuro

FirstInHell said:
Yes I have.

However I fail to see how it applies to spending money on a PSP in order to play 10 year old games. What enjoyment do you derive from playing Super Metroid 5,000 times?

I can think of many games released recently that I would rather play than Super Metroid a 10+ year old game as well as a game that I have already played.

A. You spent money on a new tv to watch old things on it.

B. You keep thinking about your Mace Griffon Bounty Hunter.

SanjuroTsubaki said:

Do you have a modded xbox? You can play SNES in 1080i and stretch/manipulate the screen anyway you want. It's awesome. And yes, even though the SNES doesn't require anything near that res, it looks much crisper at 1080i than it does at 480i/p.

bionic77

Super Metroid is just not the same unless you use a SNES controller.

Damn I love that controller. Perfect for everything 2D except fighting games.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
SanjuroTsubaki said:
That could have been the problem, I remember having a problem getting it started and pulled the game in and out a bit, never during loading or save but still. Could have been that :(

I think that definitely was the problem. My Super Mario World is the only SNES game I own w/ grime on the contacts that I can't seem to get off and I lost 2 saves from having to re-boot/eject over and over. I think it even states in the game manual not to do this for fear of wiping out saves.

And you can very easily just replace the batteries yourself. You'll need a 3.5mm Gamebit and
this faq.

Also, all this talk of hi-def SNES stuff does indeed make me jealous, but I gotta tell ya, the game still looks spectacular on my 36" Vega XBR via S-Video (I never even knew S-Video existed back when the SNES 1st came out; I was sadly all about the RF).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Do what I do.. download emu's to your girlfriend's laptop as well as all the rom's you need, buy a trusty USB control pad (mine is an oh-so-sweet Dual Shock lookalike that is soft to touch) and you're set for the rest of your life. Of course it can never beat sitting in front of a TV like the old nostalgic days, but eh.. I get close enough to it in bed so I am happy and content :)

bionic77

speedpop said:
Do what I do.. download emu's to your girlfriend's laptop as well as all the rom's you need, buy a trusty USB control pad (mine is an oh-so-sweet Dual Shock lookalike that is soft to touch) and you're set for the rest of your life. Of course it can never beat sitting in front of a TV like the old nostalgic days, but eh.. I get close enough to it in bed so I am happy and content :)

Works much better if you get a usb adapter for the SNES controller.

I love the Dual Shock for sports games, but it is ass compared to the SNES controller for anything 2D. I just hate the dpad.

Sanjuro

bionic77 said:
Works much better if you get a usb adapter for the SNES controller.

I love the Dual Shock for sports games, but it is ass compared to the SNES controller for anything 2D. I just hate the dpad.

I agree with Magic, SNES controllers give others teh aids.

Top Bottom