• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taco Bell introduces new vegetarian menu certified by American Vegetarian Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.brandeating.com/2015/10/taco-bell-introduces-vegetarian-certified-menu.html

Taco Bell looks to highlight their vegetarian options with the introduction of a new vegetarian menu certified by the American Vegetarian Association.

There aren't any new menu items on the menu. It's more meant to increase the visibility of vegetarian menu items and ingredients as the company's research shows that about a quarter of consumers are eating more vegetarian meals than in 2013.

The Taco Bell website currently lists 9 items on the Vegetarian menu including the Egg and Cheese Biscuit Taco, 7-Layer Burrito, Bean Burrito, Black Bean Burrito, Black Beans and Rice, Cheesy Roll-Up, Cheesy Bean and Cheese Burrito, Cheese Quesadilla, and Pintos N Cheese.

You can also customize or create your own vegetarian menu items. The following are listed on their website:

Certified Vegetarian:

- Avocado Ranch sauce
- Biscuit Taco shell
- Eggs
- Nacho Cheese sauce
- Reduced fat sour cream

Certified Vegan:

- Black Beans
- Border Sauce (Salsa Verde, Mild, Hot, and Fire)
- Cilantro
- Flatbread
- Flour tortilla
- Green Chile sauce (regional)
- Green Tomatillo sauce (regional)
- Guacamole
- Iceberg lettuce
- Jalapenos
- Latin Rice
- Mexican Pizza sauce
- Onions
- Pico de gallo
- Red Sauce
- Refried beans
- Romaine lettuce
- Salsa
- Salsa Del Sol
- Tostada shell

S9KiVow.jpg

marrec

Banned
Xia... that picture... you magnificent bastard.

On topic though, will try. Their cantina menu turned out pretty dope.

Like it says, they're just trying to do a better job of promoting what they already had rather than making any changes. They've always been the best fast food option for vegetarians. They have lots of things you can substitute for meat, and their system is designed to easily support substitutions so you don't get confused cashiers ringing things up a different way every time you go.

Everytging on the menu can be vegetarian if you just ask them not to put meat on it when you order or substitute meat for beans. As a former vegetarian I feel like this is already known.

robochimp

Everytging on the menu can be vegetarian of you just ask them not to put meat on it when you order or substitute meat for beans. As a former vegetarian I feel like this is already known.

I think this is meant to clarify some of the hidden pitfalls. Like, are the refried beans or flour tortillas made with lard? That's how those items are traditionally made. Now a vegetarian can be assured that those items are vegetarian.

Window

You know that menu could use some actual...veggies.
Most Mexican fast food places I've been to usually substitute the meat for a variety of beans. There's not much in the way of actual veggies (or fruit) except tomatoes and sometimes avocados. Maybe I've just been to bad ones though.

I guess being vegetarian doesn't mean you need to eat healthy.

Yes, this is a gross misconception. There's plenty of vegetarian junk food.

The ultimate Taco Bell "hack" is "Sub Beans for Beef" Having re fried beans substituted for their heinous anus ground beef dramatically improves all of their offerings. You can make most things vegetarian that way. Love a crunch wrap with sub beans for beef.

You would be surprised how many vegetarians eat poorly. Some of the chubbiest people I know don't eat meat.

yeah I guess eating a bunch of gross carbs is super easy.

I had a vegetarian roommate and he's a slight, sickly person but that would have probably been true if he had eaten meat.

just realizing now that I no longer know any vegetarians.

Pinkuss

Why would it? I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons, nothing to do with my health.

Indeed. Vegan here and whilst stuff being healthy is a bonus I don't really care/do it for that reason. /stuffing face with a faux southern fried chicken sandwich and a large bottle of scrumpy cider.

HeySeuss

The ultimate Taco Bell "hack" is "Sub Beans for Beef" Having re fried beans substituted for their heinous anus ground beef dramatically improves all of their offerings. You can make most things vegetarian that way. Love a crunch wrap with sub beans for beef.

But the crazy part is that they charge extra to do that. My gf is a vegetarian and has ordered that for ever.

Nope. Every vegetarian I know still eats a ton of junk food.

That said. I am really ready for Native Foods to further expand out East. Kickass vegan junk food. :)

Native Foods seems to have really creative food. That's my jam. I've scoped out everything I want to try on their menu. Bring this to NJ, pls.

I should slide through to Taco Bell to support this new menu. Highlighted vegetarian options are cool.

Beans, cheese, rice, lettuce, and sauce. That's all vegetarians eat? Oh ok.

Add low quality beef, chicken, & steak and you pretty much have the entire Taco Bell menu. Finding vegetarian food on the road is not easy, and this will surely help remind vegetarians that Taco bell is an option. :)

But the crazy part is that they charge extra to do that. My gf is a vegetarian and has ordered that for ever.

I've never noticed that it was extra. Either way the total price is still cheap as hell. Taco Bell is the only fast food place my wife and I stop at when on road trips. Best vegetarian junk/fast food there is. The whole "taco bell gives you the shits" thing is so foreign to me. It must have something to do with the meats they use because I can drench a crunchwrap supreme in fire sauce and I am good to go.

Spicy potato soft taco all day long.

You would be surprised how many vegetarians eat poorly. Some of the chubbiest people I know don't eat meat.

I've gained a 5-10 pounds since I went vegetarian about a year and a half ago, although that is probably more closely related to my increased alcohol consumption since I started homebrewing around the same time.

I've never noticed that it was extra. Either way the total price is still cheap as hell. Taco Bell is the only fast food place my wife and I stop at when on road trips. Best vegetarian junk/fast food there is. The whole "taco bell gives you the shits" thing is so foreign to me. It must have something to do with the meats they use because I can drench a crunchwrap supreme in fire sauce and I am good to go.

Is this Dan Ryckert's GAF account?! It's like he's quoting a recent Bombcast.

Back when I was a poor college student & vegan we would sometimes make do buying seventy cent bean "burritos" from TB and drenching them in fire sauce. The dough conditioners they used in their tortillas used to make my stomach upset everytime, but you didn't have a lot of fast food options back then.

Then I moved to SoCal and I don't think I've touched a Taco Bell in the fifteen years since.

taco bell is the only place to get any vegan food within 5 min drive of my work.

There is a chipotle 12 minutes away but thats like my whole break.

Considering i never eat fast food and usually only go to sit down restaurant once a week.

cheating every once in awhile is nice.

Pinkuss

Oh fuck, I can't even imagine a Vegan Pothead... if they also did crossfit they'd be the most annoying person in the world.

I don't know about in America, but over here there are loads. And why most annoying? Because declaring someone pretty annoying is pretty much a dick move (oddly most Veggies/Vegans don't ram it down the throats, the "but bacon/steak/etc is amazing!!!!!...etc" are mostly fine apparently. I don't go on about loving tofu etc unless someone asks...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Oh fuck, I can't even imagine a Vegan Pothead... if they also did crossfit they'd be the most annoying person in the world.

Yes, it really would be.

Vegans are certainly more annoying than Vegetarians. Add in the other two and...

Pinkuss

Yes, it really would be.

Vegans are certainly more annoying than Vegetarians. Add in the other two and...

Well we find meat eaters annoying (we don't... but I can blurt out shit too..).

Why hate on a whole 0.5%-0.3% of the population (UK/US stats) 99.999999999999999999999..% who'm you'll never meet or hear the opinion of (and who all think differently).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well we find meat eaters annoying (we don't... but I can blurt out shit too..).

Why hate on a whole 0.5%-0.3% of the population (UK/US stats) 99.999999999999999999999..% who'm you'll never meet or hear the opinion of (and who all think differently).

I'm mostly Vegetarian myself.
Not 100%, but i've eliminated pork and red meats from my diet completely and reduced consumption of others for special occasions or when I rarely go out to eat.
I also don't talk about it unless asked.

Vegans are more likely to make it a lifestyle and part of their identity since it takes considerable effort to adhere to the diet.

Pinkuss

I'm mostly Vegetarian myself.
Not 100%, but i've eliminated pork and red meats from my diet completely and reduced consumption of others for special occasions or when I rarely go out to eat.
I also don't talk about it unless asked.

Vegans are more likely to make it a lifestyle and part of their identity since it takes considerable effort to adhere to the diet.

As a lazy ass Vegan, it's piss easy. And honest to god (one I don't believe in but it's a good term) I can be the laziest person ever.

I also rarely mention it unless someone asks or it becomes a point I need to make (ie going for food, someone offering me pizza or something). I went out with a meat eater who almost dumped me as we couldn't go to Mcdonalds... classy lass. I know about 8 other Vegans and loads of Veggies and most rarely mention it, most date meat eaters. We just get excited at new food we find, we just don't eat a certain food... which doesn't make us deserve the hate or the 'but bacon' comments..

Pinkuss

lived with one. was the most awful lying person I ever dealt with and I sell cars!

I know shitloads of meat eater potheads.. absolute wankers. There is no correlation between them being meat eaters and them being wankers when stoned however. (Although some of their jokes do get old..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom