• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take MLK’s name out your mouth: An open letter to Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Context: Clemson Head Football Coach Dabo Swinney comments on Kap, Race, MLK, and all sorts of things

Full Video on YouTube

The Grio

Take MLK’s name out your mouth: An open letter to Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney

by Chenjerai Kumanyika

Dear Coach Swinney,

I’m a professor at Clemson. We’ve never met, but we work with many of the same students.

I listened to your comments on the issue of athlete protests on the field, and I wanted to share some of my impressions.

I winced when I heard a reporter ask you, a white man who makes somewhere in the area of $5 million a year from the physical labor and bodily risk of unpaid black athletes, if he would “discipline” them for making a political statement. Given that you and I both work on the former plantation of John C. Calhoun, the historical significance of the question is staggering and troubling.

To your credit, you said that you would not discipline a player for not standing during the national anthem, an act of defiance most recently started by 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

You did acknowledge Kaepernick’s right to protest, and you encouraged other players to exercise those rights if they want to. I was glad to hear all of those things. For a moment, I felt even prouder than I already am to be a professor at Clemson.

But then you started talking about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Coach Swinney, I really wish you hadn’t done that.

First, let me say that I understand why you did this. Your statements reproduce a long history of folks, conservative and otherwise, positioning Dr. King as the palatable Christian alternative to unruly black protest.

What better way to silence the profit-threatening specter of black athlete protest than by offering the image of a civil rights activist who protested in a way that was more “professional” and “convenient” for everyone?

There’s only one problem. There was nothing convenient or palatable about Dr. King.

In his speech to the SCLC board in 1967, King argued that “The evils of capitalism are as real as the evils of militarism and evils of racism.” He brought the civil rights struggle to the most public platforms at the most inconvenient times.

You did get one thing right about Dr. King when you mentioned, “He changed the world through education in the face of ignorance.”

On the topic of education, I wonder if you have ever read Dr. King’s “Letter from a Birmingham Jail.” It’s okay if you haven’t. Dr. King wrote many things, and it’s challenging to read them all. Although this letter was widely circulated in the 1960s, I find that less and less people are familiar with it today.

Perhaps after reading it, you’ll work with me to change that.

Like today’s protesters, Dr. King faced critics who claimed that they agreed with his ultimate aim of justice but simply disagreed with his methods. They said that they agreed – as you do – that citizens have the right to protest, but they felt that there was an appropriate time and place for it. Your statements encouraged athletes to keep their protest off the field. Dr. King’s critics didn’t say that his methods were “wrong.”

Instead, in the letter, Dr. King reminds us that his critics called his tactics “unwise and untimely.”

Dr. King began his response by reminding his critics of why he was in Birmingham. He said, “I’m here because there is injustice here.”

Coach, you may be thinking that Dr. King was in Birmingham in 1963 and here we are at Clemson, South Carolina, in 2016. You would be right to point out that our circumstances are very much different.

However, it may also be possible that your position as a well-paid and celebrated white coach has shielded you from some of the injustices that persist here and now.

The fact that our state leads the nation in women killed by their domestic partners is injustice. It is injustice that Clemson students, including most athletes, will face a post-job economy with record poverty and unemployment. The criminalization of the mentally ill and the exploitation of prison laborers in our state is injustice. The deaths of people like Walter Scott, Joyce Curnell, Ernest Smalley Jr. and Zachary Hammond at the hands of police officers were injustices.

The lack of answers and accountability about the death of Clemson student Tucker Hipps is an ongoing injustice. I could go on, but you get the point.

And there are also opportunities for change at our own university.

I want the best for our students that are also working athletes. But when I heard that we were building a $55 million dollar facility that won’t be available to most students, I couldn’t help but wonder how many other challenges at our university could be solved with $55 or even $30 million.

The insecure working conditions and low pay of our dedicated and excellent custodial, food service, and administrative staff is injustice. They work relentlessly everyday, with a positive attitude, running this university. But they also suffer a variety of ongoing problems and challenges.

The abysmally low levels of recruitment and especially retention of students and faculty of color at Clemson is injustice. In truth, the low recruitment of people of all ethnicities from the poorest parts of our state is injustice. The treatment of Clemson’s vulnerable international graduate students is injustice. The lack of a day care center is injustice. The fact that our most recognizable building bears the name of the white supremacist terrorist Ben Tillman is injustice. It is injustice when students protest these conditions and they are arrested, their reputations tarnished, and their careers threatened.

In the face of the injustices in his own time, Dr. King called for direct action, not press conferences.

He and those that fought with him brought the struggle to buses, games, counters, workplaces and other places that were deeply inconvenient and often illegal. Dr. King points out that none of these direct action efforts were “well timed” in the eyes of his vocally supportive but privileged and paternalistic critics.

Coach Swinney, based on your statements, I think that maybe you would not have liked Dr. King if you had known him.

Dr. King worked closely with Jackie Robinson, whose presence and success on the field was a protest. But his relationship with Dr. King became closer when he rejected the idea that his individual success was enough and that he should only engage with docile forms of protest that didn’t inconvenience anybody.

Dr. King also came to be friends with Muhammad Ali, who used his platform in the most confrontational ways to stand up against the Vietnam War. When people criticized Dr. King’s own stance against the war, he quoted Ali saying, “Like Muhammad Ali puts it, we are all — black and brown and poor — victims of the same system of oppression.”

As Dave Zirin reminded us in an article in The Nation, the two men also appeared together at a fair housing rally in Ali’s hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.

You mentioned that you felt that Colin Kaepernick’s protest was divisive. Dr. King’s critics also called for unity and claimed that protesters in Birmingham were raising tensions.

Dr. King reminded these critics that “Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with.”

People who are fighting for civil rights are tired of hearing that we’re divisive. And we’re tired of calls for unity that are really calls for silence and accommodation. Rather than accepting the false and deceptive claim that our tactics are working against unity, I would ask you instead: What terms of unity would you have us accept?

One particularly confusing part of Dr. King’s letter for you to read might be the section where he talks about his disappointment in what he calls the “The Negro’s great stumbling block.”

Coach Swinney, I know that you are not racist and that you probably hate the Ku Klux Klan. I’m also not a fan. However, in the letter, Dr. King writes that he had come to feel that the Klan was not the greatest obstacle to the advancement of black people. Instead, he discusses his disappointment in “the white moderate.”

I’m not sure if you would describe yourself as a white moderate, but you ended your speech by saying that you thought “Kaepernick’s intention was good” but his “method was not.”

Dr. King describes the white moderate as someone who says “”I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” In short, he describes the white moderate as someone who is “more concerned with order than justice.”

Does any of this sound familiar?

I think the most important and most challenging part of the letter for you to read is Dr. King’s comments on the church. Like you, Coach Swinney, Dr. King made his case on religious grounds. Only Dr. King arrived at different conclusions than you did.

To quote him, “There was a time when the church was very powerful — in the time when the early Christians rejoiced at being deemed worthy to suffer for what they believed. In those days the church was not merely a thermometer that recorded the ideas and principles of popular opinion; it was a thermostat that transformed the mores of society. Whenever the early Christians entered a town, the people in power became disturbed and immediately sought to convict the Christians for being ‘disturbers of the peace’ and ‘outside agitators.'”

It seems unlikely to me that Dr. King would encourage you to baptize student athletes on the field and then encourage them not to stand for what they believe in — on the field. Dr. King’s interpretation of his religion inspired him to challenge rather than acquiesce to people in power or profit in the face of injustice.

If after reading the letter, you find that you disagree with Dr. King on these matters, I think that’s fine. I actually think it can be a refreshing and important part of education to clarify your values.

If you do find that you disagree with Dr. King, as your comments indicate, please spare us the continued distortion of his legacy.

Sincerely,

Dr. Chenjerai Kumanyika
Department of Communication
Clemson University

He gets paid 5 million because football makes them a shitload

The kids don't get paid because the NCAA won't allow it & they get scholarships

I get the sentiments, but pick one

Yeah it's not really anyone's choice at this point. There are clearly coaches out there who want to pay their players (i.e. Nick Saban), but legally can't and have to bend the rules in order for their athletes to recieve compensation.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Most of the points are the same points that many intelligent forum members have posted in topics here, but I can nearly guarantee that Dabo will actually read this letter, and I bet it will help Dabo see where he was wrong.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
People have to be willfully stupid if they don't realize that a restaurant sit in is disruptive by nature.

I get the sentiments, but pick one

He's saying he shouldn't be commenting on the students right to protest at all especially because of these things. I mean they are even going to school on a former slave plantation.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I winced when I heard a reporter ask you, a white man who makes somewhere in the area of $5 million a year from the physical labor and bodily risk of unpaid black athletes, if he would “discipline” them for making a political statement.

Ya burnt, Dabo.

Barzul

I actually just read MLK's "Letter from a Birmingham jail" in it's entirety the other day and holy crap it was mind blowing. The reactions the feelings at the time, nothing has really changed, it's just wearing a different coat. The right wing would absolutely detest MLK if he was alive today, no doubt in my mind.

The man was a visionary, he refined and gave a voice to millions of people. Honestly even though it's via a different platform, Colin's protest really mirror the direct, uncomfortable form of protest that MLK used to great effect. You can't ignore it, it's in your face.

He's inspired so many to do as he did also. Can't wait for Basketball season to start, this isn't going anywhere. If people want to tune out BLM and other social justice protests in the news, they can. They can't escape the reach of sports in this country, we live and breathe it in this country. It inescapable.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
It really sucks how MLK has become a bludgeon with which to silence and discourage black protests today. I'm pretty sure if he were alive to actually speak for himself I don't think he'd be kind to those who love to invoke him.

Leunam

"The White Moderate" that King mentions is basically today's "All Lives Matter" or "Both Sides".

Yep, that should be immediately obvious. People riding that fence and saying 'both sides' have in fact chosen a side, and it's not the one that wants progress.

Slayven

Yep, that should be immediately obvious. People riding that fence and saying 'both sides' have in fact chosen a side, and it's not the one that wants progress.

exactly.

Some topics shouldn't have arguments or "conversations". Some of them are just right and wrong.

How can you debate black people should be shoot in the streets? Unless you are a psychopath

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I don't see how that's on Dabo.

He's a rich-ass white man who makes his money off the physical labor of, mostly black, teenagers/young adults. He can't relate and he's in no position to tell any young black person how they should feel or react to our country's current racial climate.

You guys need to be friendly and non-threatening, you know like that guy from decades ago that got assassinated because people didn't tolerate him speaking out for his own people! You know, the one we only bring up when we tell you you're annoying us!

The fucking gall. And people wonder why that journalist from the Post had it with talking to white people about racism.

It really sucks how MLK has become a bludgeon with which to silence and discourage black protests today. I'm pretty sure if he were alive to actually speak for himself I don't think he'd be kind to those who love to invoke him.

In 30 years time, Kaepernick will be used to try and silence protestors of that time. People will act like Kaep was beloved for his courage and silently protesting the "right way".

Funny how the same people invoking Ali and MLK for being classy examples would have been condemning their efforts today if they were dissenting in the exact fashion they did in their time--I mean, people HATE Floyd Mayweather and Cam Newton and they don't even take any vocal political positions...could you imagine how reviled a guy like Ali would have been today?

The face that now MLK is just a way for arrogant assholes to shut down arguments from black people wanting to be seen as equals is depressing. And what's even more depressing is those arrogant folks that keeps telling people how to protest right and then resort to saying to do it like MLK did. Get outta here with that.

Red

exactly.

Some topics shouldn't have arguments or "conversations". Some of them are just right and wrong.

How can you debate black people should be shoot in the streets? Unless you are a psychopath
Many people I know, maybe most, are distrustful of media reports on unjustified killings of black people, and believe a liberal bias is at work. You ask them "should black people be shot in the street?" and they'll say no. You present them with the cases in the news and they'll rationalize the hell out of them. I can't say whether this is fueled out of animosity toward black people or simple ignorance. On the surface, it looks like ignorance. They mistrust the stats. They mistrust the DOJ and other regulatory bodies and believe there is a conspiracy at work. What the roots of that conspiracy are, what they believe the goal is, I can't even begin to speculate. To me the obvious answer is they are afraid of black people gaining more relevance socially and politically and are predisposed to distrust any reports which validate black thought. But knowing these people, living with them, has taught me they probably haven't thought it out that much. They react purely from the gut, and assume that anyone or any body that disagrees is wrong or flawed or being influenced by an outside force.
I contrast these people with the out and out racists who are glad black people are being killed in the streets, who wished it happened more often, and who desire the liberty to do it themselves. I know plenty of those as well.

Slayven

In 30 years time, Kaepernick will be used to try and silence protestors of that time. People will act like Kaep was beloved for his courage and silently protesting the "right way".

Funny how the same people invoking Ali and MLK for being classy examples would have been condemning their efforts today if they were dissenting in the exact fashion they did in their time--I mean, people HATE Floyd Mayweather and Cam Newton and they don't even take any vocal political positions...could you imagine how reviled a guy like Ali would have been today?

Ali was soo hated, it was weird as fuck to see folks say "he transcended race"

You guys need to be friendly and non-threatening, you know like that guy from decades ago that got assassinated because people didn't tolerate him speaking out for his own people! You know, the one we only bring up when we tell you you're annoying us!

The fucking gall. And people wonder why that journalist from the Post had it with talking to white people about racism.

The face that now MLK is just a way for arrogant assholes to shut down arguments from black people wanting to be seen as equals is depressing. And what's even more depressing is those arrogant folks that keeps telling people how to protest right and then resort to saying to do it like MLK did. Get outta here with that.

A-freakin'-men.

Stuff like this is people trying to turn him into "one of the good ones" which is devastating.

USC-fan

Banned
As someone that follow clemson football.

This question was a set up to begin with. This person that ask the question was david hood. Dabo gets him to pitch these softball question that dabo goes on these long speeches that he has already prepared. This time it really back fired on him.

College players are not even on the field when this is even done.

Lunar15

Coach Swinney, I know that you are not racist and that you probably hate the Ku Klux Klan. I’m also not a fan. However, in the letter, Dr. King writes that he had come to feel that the Klan was not the greatest obstacle to the advancement of black people. Instead, he discusses his disappointment in “the white moderate.”

I’m not sure if you would describe yourself as a white moderate, but you ended your speech by saying that you thought “Kaepernick’s intention was good” but his “method was not.”

Dr. King describes the white moderate as someone who says “”I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” In short, he describes the white moderate as someone who is “more concerned with order than justice.”

Pretty great stuff. I think it sums up a huge portion of the issue.

If Cam Newton brought injustice to light in the same manner of Ali he would be viewed exactly the same as he was back in the day. It would not be pretty. Which is exactly why we need a superstar athlete on the level of Ali to engage in the fight just as he did.

A-freakin'-men.

Stuff like this is people trying to turn him into "one of the good ones" which is devastating.

Not just devastating, but completely infuriating. This man, along with so many other African American icons back in the sixties, paved the way for black people to not be segregated or discriminated. And they hated him and others for it. They didn't like the way he protested or the way he wanted equality for black people. He was even killed for his ideas for equality. But his words and his legend and his actionhelped black people to keep fighting for that future he wanted so dearly. And what do people who would probably hate his ass if was still alive do? They would use his damn name as a shield, as a way avoid any reason to talk about this important topic because they obviously don't give a shit about it and they don't give a shit about MLK.

Lost me when he likened the coach to a slave holder. Totally ridiculous.

He was pointing out the irony of a man that makes an incredible amount of money, largely from the labor of young black men, on the site of a former slave plantation answering a question about punishing those men for expressing their views. If you can't see the irony in that I don't know what to tell you.

AxelFoley

Dr. King was hated by the majority of white America at the time of his death. Only when he man was dead and gone did he become a beloved figure of the mainstream. And as mentioned, used as a bludgeon on black folks to quiet us when we speak out against injustice today.

Just about the same for Ali. White America hated this brash young black man who he was in his prime, protesting injustice against darker peoples so the world. They only came around to hm when Parkinson's started to take its toll in him and he was no longer perceived as a threat.

PopeReal

Also Dabo said that the right way to protest would be "to hold a press conference".

You read that correctly. Simply call a press conference.

Finally the outlet protestors can use to get change!!!! Thanks so much Dabo!!!

So I haven't seen all of the coach's full speech, but it went something like this right?

"Hey The Blacks, be like MLK okay? That guy who peacefully stood up for what he believed in in order to bring change to American society on racial issues.

Ohh sorry Kaep by peacefully standing up for what you belive in order to bring change to American society on racial issues you're tarnishing the name and progress of MLK"

that about sum it up?

From other thread:

If MLK was still alive, he'd be criticized for being too radical and disturbing the peace and not being American enough and all the rest of that shit before being told about how he should act in and follow the example of MLK

NandoGip

I always laugh when a white dude brings up MLK as an example of "peaceful protest"

So many white people (not all) don't really care about BLM and the oppression of minorities. They don't listen, read, pursue information on the topic. Their minds are made up. The only thing they're interested in are the arguments against it by other like-minded people. I guess you can say that about both sides though.

Sometimes I wonder why. Like why is it that the first reaction for so many NFL fans was to say "Fuck Colin, overpaid ass think's he's oppressed". Where does that automatic sentiment come from? It's clear they didn't listen to the explanation of his stance and his purpose, which is proof that they don't really care. If they cared about the topic that deeply, even if it was to support their position it, they'd at least pursue the full response so that they can work on their opposition to it. Maybe it's because they're so removed from the situation that they don't have to think about it. Still doesn't explain why the automatic response of opposition.

Does it come from a place of racism? Are the majority of white people subconsciously and subtly racist? 90% of white people I've encountered were nice people. Do they come to these conclusions to oppose without any sort of thought on the subject, due to influence by someone else? I just don't get it.

PopeReal

So I haven't seen all of the coach's full speech, but it went something like this right?

"Hey The Blacks, be like MLK okay? That guy who peacefully stood up for what he believed in in order to bring change to American society on racial issues.

Ohh sorry Kaep by peacefully standing up for what you belive in order to bring change to American society on racial issues you're tarnishing the name and progress of MLK"

that about sum it up?

And Dabo isn't the only one. Just look at all the people who whined about roads being blocked (which didn't hurt anyone).

So now we get a guy who just takes a knee. That is it. And people are FURIOUS. How dare he????

We have to now accept that most white people do not want protest of any kind. We see no need. We do not want further change to happen. Enough is enough.

NandoGip

And Dabo isn't the only one. Just look at all the people who whined about roads being blocked (which didn't hurt anyone).

So now we get a guy who just takes a knee. That is it. And people are FURIOUS. How dare he????

We have to now accept that most white people do not want protest of any kind. We see no need. We do not want further change to happen. Enough is enough.

Lol, Like I wonder what would be the ideal way to bring up injustice. Maybe send out some e-mails. That'd probably get complaints too.

Oh my gosh yes!! I was gritting my teeth at every single person I saw on thread here about BLM protest that was on their soapbox, telling how the protestors were doing it wrong and how they should do on the side of the road. So what, they can be ignored? Yeah, they'll definitely get noticed then. Protests are supposed to be noticed, and the protests were nonviolent. But someone is gonna be late to work!! B-b-but what about poor nana Ruth? Please....

Sums up the feelings of many of us. Like I'm at a point in my life anyone who summons whitewashed MLK is someone I mentally tune out and basically start talking past. Not worth the mental strain and it's not my responsibility to coddle and educate them.

PopeReal

There should be protest forms that black people can fill out. Then they can be sent off to us white people for approval. After a 6 months waiting period your form will be returned with a big red "DENIED" stamp on it. Obviously this will be because of various reasons.

Tax payers will have to cover the stampers though. We need the deluxe models with no "APPROVED" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom