• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO Says Red Dead Redemption Port Pricing Is 'Commercially Accurate' - RDR2 has sold 55m copies worldwide

Draugoth

Gold Member
After today’s Take-Two earnings call, IGN asked CEO Strauss Zelnick why they priced the newly announced port the way they did, especially given the backwards compatibility situation for Xbox.

“That's just what we believe is the commercially accurate price for it,” Zelnick responded.

Take-Two’s EVP of Finance, Hannah Sage, also pointed out that the port isn’t just the Red Dead base game, but also Undead Nightmare. When asked if Undead Nightmare was the reason for its $50 price, Zelnick said the add-on “was a great standalone game in its own right when it was originally released, so we feel like it's a great bundle for the first time, and certainly a great value for consumers.”

IGN did ask him about a potential PC release, but Zelnick left it vague, saying he leaves game release announcements up to the developers. Pressed further about the logic behind ports vs. remasters vs. remakes, Zelnick said:

"It depends on the vision that the creative teams have for a title, and in the absence of having a powerful vision, for something that we would do with a title, we might bring it in its original form, we've done that, and in certain instances we might remaster or remake, so it really depends on the title and how the label feels about it, the platform, and what we think the opportunity is for consumers.

Take-Two Interactive revealed that Red Dead Redemption 2's global sales has sold 55 million copies worldwide during an earnings call.

Furthermore, during the first quarter of 2024 the game achieved an additional milestone by selling over 2 million more copies.

F3COtzvXoAIFdOp

source

Last edited:

Eotheod

Wait, so is it 55 or 54 million copies sold? Also their pricing isn't market accurate, it's being high for the sake of a supposed "premium" port. And people will pay.

I wonder, will this PS4 port become one of PlayStation's PS Plus Essential tier monthly offerings sometime in 2024 or 2025? Either way, I'm more than happy to play the waiting game, either for this to drop to $10 in a sale or wait until it gets added to the PS Plus Essential tier.

violence

Maybe it’s a little high, maybe it isn’t. Wait a year it’ll be $15 $30

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Strauss Zelnick said:
We are convinced that we are probably from an industry view undermonetizing on a per-user basis. There is wood to chop because I think we can do more, and we can do more without interfering with our strategy of being the most creative and our ethical approach, which is delighting consumers.

Last edited:

Fbh

Can't really blame them, they know people will buy it for that price so why charge less?
Worse case scenario it under performs and they can just put it on sale, it's not like there's any pressure to recoup the investment of this old game. And the low effort port probably wasn't too expensive to make anyway.

So where's the current-gen patch for RDR2 then, bitch?

I really don't get it.
It wouldn't even have to be free. This being Rockstar they could probably enhance the framerate, improve the visuals a bit here and there (compared to the OG console release) and sell it for $60. Everyone would complain but then it would probably go on to outsell most other games this year.

Three

What I want to know is how much effort they've put into this release. Framerate, res, added effects etc. They have not released any official information on that whatsoever and they expect people to just buy it.

brian0057

Banned
It's amazing how angry people get at basic economics.
It puts all of the world's problems into a sharper focus.

Last edited:
As long as GTA 6 I'd filled to the brim with single player content, I'm not going to complain too much. Rockstars budget for GTA 6 will most likely be twice as expensive as any game in history

Synless

Well, I assure you I won’t be buying it at that price or rather, any price. I already own it on Xbox anyways.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Commercially accurate if it’s a full on remake
This is going to be a cheap port job, that’ll likely have issues.

So wait guys, guys, you're going to pay 50$ for the exact same carbon copy xbox 360 version (same resolution, same FPS count... not shure for the Switch) from 2010 (with a few new (other) fucking ugly lightings) in 2023! Really? A 360 and the original RDR cost less than 50$ and you can play Daytona USA on the same hardware!

1ix0ah.gif

I've got the 360 version, not gonna pay again for the same assets at the same resolution and same FPS count again.And where is the PC version... And no, emulated versions don't count.

Last edited:
Top Bottom