• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Prices Are ‘Very, Very Low’ For What They Offer, Says GTA 6 Publisher Take-Two

StereoVsn

The rest of the world has been paying $100 for video games for like a decade now. I’m Canadian, I paid 100 bucks for freaking Alan wake 2, Spider-Man 2 and FF16. I can’t wait for you cheap ass Americans to have to do the same :lollipop_grinning_sweat::lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Yes, I know the dollar, if yall pay 100 well pay 150, I get it. But I wanna see the reactions.

A game like GTA6 is easily worth 150 for me
You should be arguing games are too much in CA and not that US should get hit too.

Game market is much larger, MTC and special editions are everywhere so the comparison to older game prices is preposterous.

And cartridge prices are a completely different animal as they actually contained hardware required for working which you can’t just “download “.

Hell, now days Digital is much higher percentage which generates higher profits vs physical distribution and even for the latter there is no manual or anything else with the disk.

So knock off with “games are too cheap” argument, it’s not a very good one.

michael douglas greed GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

diffusionx

Gold Member
Does Baldurs Gate 3 have microtransactions?
I think, in a thread based on a quote from the guy who runs the company that makes GTA, it is appropriate to discuss GTA.

Strauss Zelnick is not putting out those statements based on Baldur's Gate 3, it's based on his own game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Funny source, but completely correct.

StueyDuck

I mean if theres any studio that can even come close to that argument it's rockstar but to act like the entire industry should be raising it's prices is ludicrous, most of this shit is just the same old shit with a new skin and to make things even better most of it won't even work the day you buy.

MW3 like just came out and it's barely worth $15 let alone the silly prices people paid to play it early.

Last edited:
Depends on the game. And the price. I find gaming to be a cheap hobby compared to what it was 30 years ago, but there's not really anything I would be willing to pay $60 day one for, unlike then.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You should be arguing games are too much in CA and not that US should get hit too.

Game market is much larger, MTC and special editions are everywhere so the comparison to older game prices is preposterous.

And cartridge prices are a completely different animal as they actually contained hardware required for working which you can’t just “download “.

Hell, now days Digital is much higher percentage which generates higher profits vs physical distribution and even for the latter there is no manual or anything else with the disk.

So knock off with “games are too cheap” argument, it’s not a very good one.
I’m not saying they’re too cheap. I’m saying the value they provide for their price is excellent. Especially compared to other forms of media.

One movie ticket is 25 bucks for a 2 hour movie. You never go alone, you’re buying 2 tickets at minimum. So 50 bucks for 2 hours. Plus drinks and popcorn.

The average AAA game is 30 hours minimum. Some quadruple that time. Then add in something like multiplayer, you’re looking at potentially thousands of hours play time.

That is objectively good value for $70 freaking dollars. End of story

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He's partially right.

T2 focuses on games that are solid with a ton of content and replayability. So $70 US seems more than reasonable.

However, some games are dog shit and $40-70 (where most non-indie classified games are somehow also $70) which are a rip off.

Little Mac

Gold Member
In a sea of absolute garbage, there are maybe 8-10 good AAA games a year that, maybe, could make a case for a higher price tag … if those games didn’t also have fucking battle passes/subscriptions and microtransactions shoehorned into them.

SJRB

Gold Member
I honestly would not have a problem with paying 100 bucks for a game if it is indeed a premium, fully developed experience.

Problem is 99% of games are hardly worth the 70 bucks, let alone more.

THERE IT IS.

I'm gonna call this right now:

In other words, be ready for a retail price on GTA 6 of a minimum $100 for the "basic" version. If you want the multiplayer or other awesome features, you'll have to then spring $150 mid tier and $200 for the "gold edition".

And guess what, it will still sell out. The curse of GTA 6 will be that it will raise retail game prices even *further* because of the excuse of "higher development costs" and "value to dollar" experiences.

Buckle up. This is gonna be good.

nosey-eat.gif
I think you’re on the right track, but they are definitely not charging more for multiplayer. That’s their cash cow.

My guess is $99 for the standard edition and $119 for a week of early access.

Anyone saying he’s right is a certified clown. He would be right if we were stuck at the old model of paying once for the full game. As we know, publishers make more money from mtx. His argument falls flat on his face when that’s taken into account. Take a look at NBA2k. The whole game is pay to win. You must spend 2x the price if you plan on playing online with my player. Hits gotten to the point where it’s better to stay one year behind. Wait for the game to come free to ps plus and spend $20 on micro transactions.

mhirano

They've been at the $60 price tag for a while. I think that's kinda the tipping point for most people. Especially in this day and age. There's always gonna be "special editions" that ask for more, but the general tag of $50-60. is where I'd bet the common consumer is about willing to go to. I know I certainly have more choice and less time than ever and if something "new" is coming out that is way overpriced...Well, I can wait.
People quadruple-dipped GTA V and tripled-dipped Red Dead Redemtpion 1 so, if there is any company who can pull off luxury priced games its Rockstar.

I think you’re on the right track, but they are definitely not charging more for multiplayer. That’s their cash cow.

My guess is $99 for the standard edition and $119 for a week of early access.
If it’s $100usd, it’s like $150 cad after taxes. No one here is paying that for one game. Furthermore, it’d be stupid to increase the prices of game for 2k as doing so would raise the barrier of entry to their game. That in turn would reduce the total amount of people that could purchase micro transactions. Anyway, since I don’t expect the new gta to be good, I’m not too concerned.

Last edited:

Sanepar

He is right, games like Zelda, Cyberpunk, Witcher, GTA offers many hours of high quality content and $70 is a steal for these games.

T-800

Neo Member
No DLC, microtransactions, and GTA+ in 1991.

These games are basically drug dealers by now, they get you in the door with a low price and then funnel you into spending as much as possible.

They also sold like what, 15 copies back then.

Jakk

THERE IT IS.

I'm gonna call this right now:

In other words, be ready for a retail price on GTA 6 of a minimum $100 for the "basic" version. If you want the multiplayer or other awesome features, you'll have to then spring $150 mid tier and $200 for the "gold edition".

And guess what, it will still sell out. The curse of GTA 6 will be that it will raise retail game prices even *further* because of the excuse of "higher development costs" and "value to dollar" experiences.

Buckle up. This is gonna be good.

nosey-eat.gif
There's literally no chance of that happening. I'm not a fan of greedy CEOs like him, but if you actually read what he said, you would know.

All those rumors about GTA VI costing $100 or more is just engagement bait for some stupid kids' Twitter acounts.

BigLee74

Hmmm, have to disagree. £70 is a lot to fork out for most games, especially if you can’t resell. And I say this as a guy with shitloads of disposable outcome.

I think they have reached a point where if they try and sell a base game for more money, sales will tank.

Something has to give, and it will be smaller games with less innovation. Safe bets only to get the money (FIFA, COD etc).

Last edited:
these fuckers break record profits YoY and have the nerve to spew this shit.

fuck them.
It has nothing to do with them making profits or not. The dude is just spitting facts about the industry and the fact that $70 is cheap for a game is very true. Why get big mad when truth is being spoken? lol. Have you ever worked in game development before or been on the other side of the fence? If not, then you have no right to speak on this topic, let alone complain about something you have no idea about.

Last edited:
I agree that games offer strong value for money, especially when it comes into the amount of hours you pour into them, however....

It doesn't stop this guy from being a greedy ass cunt who's saturated R* games with micro-transactions targeting little Timmys all around the world amongst all the other shit he has done.

I mean something as little as a 60 FPS patch for RD2 on next-gen consoles won't churn a profit for him and his corporate masters.

He's the walking talking personification of a profiteer.

Last edited:

CuNi

Hogwarts Legacy and Baldurs Gate 3 were the only games I bought full price after ages.
All the other games I bought in sales even at 33% off felt like they were asking too much.
Sure, go ahead and jack up prices. Maybe that will tip me over to finally start finishing that backlog of games.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
GTA6 launching at £80 AT LEAST

Setting us up for the announcement.

I rarely buy games at launch cause they’re usually unfinished beta builds. It always pays to wait until a few patches have been released. I don’t care for GTA really but I’m sure as soon as the trailer drops it will be hype central. More hyped for a RDR2 patch in all honesty. That would make my year.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, I could see that argument from other companies but not one that makes such ludicrous bank selling in-game money on top of what folks paid up front to get the game. They're free to claim mtx buyers are subsidising it for the rest of us if they want I guess, but wanting even more? GTFO.
The rest of the world has been paying $100 for video games for like a decade now. I’m Canadian, I paid 100 bucks for freaking Alan wake 2, Spider-Man 2 and FF16. I can’t wait for you cheap ass Americans to have to do the same :lollipop_grinning_sweat::lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I mean, if you already know you're making the most idiotic point of all time, why go through with it? Obviously people don't harp about any one number like 70 or 100 regardless of currency discussed since 70 yen is 0,50 USD for one example and are just talking about the standard value and cost.

You're free to buy more shark cards if you think they should get more from you, though I don't see how it would negatively affect you if they actually made games cheaper and still made ludicrous bank on them, would it hurt to know you're getting even more value per Canadian dollar or what? 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, at this point it's an exposure/marketing game, GTA will sell no matter what they sell it at so of course they can be greedy as they have been the past several years, other games that fail to make profit don't fail because they're too cheap but because people either don't know they exist or chose other games instead and of course if other games they chose do cost $100 then that means they chose less games total, essentially the few greedy companies taking everybody's money to fund the luxury lifestyles of the people that aren't even developers are why other worthwhile titles fail.

Of course there are cases where people can understand the higher pricing outside greed, for example if it's a niche low profile series that knows it has a maximum amount of fans, they can sell special edition style copies to them for slightly higher prices and it's a mutual relationship where the fans accept they're paying more than for other games because they're funding the continuation of something the rest of the world doesn't care about regardless of its pricing, this more often than not does not in any way apply to the greedy individuals that are complaining about the pricing anyway.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Steel Battalion was an AWESOME game because they sold it for $200.

Some of you don't realize how the $70 ceiling is limiting what type of games can be made.
Yeah I see that, developer From software sold 25 million copy's of Elden Ring in 1 year, 25mil * 70=1.750 billion $ with budget for the game around 200 million $.
How much profit is that?
You have money to make next 9 games for free only from making 1 game .

The world has changed significantly in the last 30 years. The amount of free or near-free digital entertainment has skyrocketed. Your game has to be cheap enough where your average consumer is intrigued enough to overlook their giant supply of entertainment they readily have access to.

The movie theater analogy always seemed a little silly to me, especially when people throw the cost of concessions into the mix. We all know it's comparatively poor value for money, but so is basically everything you do outside of your home that isn't on public property.

Ah a sensible response to this fucking moron of a CEO. This guy earns a fucking shit load of money, so his view on actual reality is going to be severely distorted.
They think we're actual cows. I liked it better when the industry was lead by actual creators and technical visionaries at the top. Not money hungry, opportunistic shits like Zelnick and his industry colleagues.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yeah I see that, developer From software sold 25 million copy's of Elden Ring in 1 year, 25mil * 70=1.750 billion $ with budget for the game around 200 million $.
How much profit is that?
You have money to make next 9 games for free only from making 1 game .

For every Elden Ring there's 50 Returnals.

Imagine how boring the automobile market would be if every vehicle was capped at $40k. No Ferrari. No Tesla. No BMW.

Many gamers don't like to hear this but he's right. Of course it depends on the game also. If you buy an $80 game and you only play it for 1 hour because it's a piece of crap, then it's absolutely not worth it.

Many gamers don't like to hear this but he's right. Of course it depends on the game also. If you buy an $80 game and you only play it for 1 hour because it's a piece of crap, then it's absolutely not worth it.
Maybe he is, but why say it when it'll never be a good idea to price consumers out of a market? Anyone who tries to sell a game for $200 is going to be bitch-slapped by the reality of very poor sales. It's just antagonistic bullshit talk.

Hudo

Oh get fucked. You publishers record profit after profit because of your monetarization schemes that aim deliberately at weak-willed people and kids with too much money and not enough life experience while shitting out incomplete messes that you call "early access" or whatever. You fucks get more money per game than you deserve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom