• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO Says Red Dead Redemption Port Pricing Is 'Commercially Accurate' - RDR2 has sold 55m copies worldwide

damidu

lol “commercially accurate” for sure
switch owners pretty much conditioned to pay full price for old ass games by now.
pretty much nothing ever gets a price cut on the system.

Highly doubtful Rockstar had to reboot GTA 6. They have some of the best developers in the industry that are perfecting a known formula they created 20+ years ago. And The 2 billion reported budget included 10+ years of GTA online expansions. The base game is probably around 1 billion. Which would make sense with 5000+ developers and 7ish years of full development time

Surprised No Way GIF by Laff

You sound like the prime "customer" to be lured into more shark cards. Still stand by the naive part, but hey, hope it works out for you.

Luigi Mario

Friendly reminder that in RDR2, which was Dan Houser's last project as lead writer, the person who is inadvertently responsible for Arthur getting tuberculosis and therefore his inevitable death is Leopold Strauss, a soulless loan shark who only cares about the money.

People said the same thing about RDR2. "Rockstar is going to focus on online multiplayer while the single player will be bare bones!". When in reality, it was the exact opposite. RDR2 had the most single player content of any Rockstar game by a mile while its online was barebones as fuck

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
As much as I dislike the attitude, he is probably right. He is as much confident that it will still sell as the Pokemon company selling their garbage content. People will buy it anyway.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Drizzlehell

Banned
There's something about that phrase that reminds me of phrases like "vertically challenged"

If he was speaking straight it would just be "we think we're justified in charging people full price for this 10+ year old game that we didn't even put any additional effort into"

Last edited:
People said the same thing about RDR2. "Rockstar is going to focus on online multiplayer while the single player will be bare bones!". When in reality, it was the exact opposite. RDR2 had the most single player content of any Rockstar game by a mile while its online was barebones as fuck
I'd hardly call hours of unskippable horseback ride exposition dumps, and needlessly slow 'cinematic' looting animations compelling content. I don't think I've ever played a videogame that respected my time less.

It's amazing how angry people get at basic economics.
It puts all of the world's problems into a sharper focus.
Yeah people are braindead. Wasn't this supposed to be a right leaning forum after the 2017 drama? This reads like any economically illiterate Reddit thread. You charge what you believe the market will bear - why would you charge less? Anyone who doesn't value the game at that price can simply wait because games predictably depreciate in price, usually relatively quickly.

Majormaxxx

Friendly reminder that in RDR2, which was Dan Houser's last project as lead writer, the person who is inadvertently responsible for Arthur getting tuberculosis and therefore his inevitable death is Leopold Strauss, a soulless loan shark who only cares about the money.
in addition to the SZ reference, he kinda looks like Dr. Fauci

diffusionx

Gold Member
He's right, look at the dogshit GTA package and how it sold. I went on reddit the week it came out and found tons of posts like, "fuck the reviews, it's my childhood" with pictures of it. It was bizarre.

That said, even if this is just a barebones port it's still an excellent game.

Neo_GAF

Banned
Yeah people are braindead. Wasn't this supposed to be a right leaning forum after the 2017 drama? This reads like any economically illiterate Reddit thread. You charge what you believe the market will bear - why would you charge less? Anyone who doesn't value the game at that price can simply wait because games predictably depreciate in price, usually relatively quickly.
yes, this is a right-wing forum and i also do wonder why some of those conservatives here are getting fired up. this should be right up their alley.

gta5 still costs 30-50euros
and now it is on ps5/xsx.
the game was released on ps360 and still gets updates. i know you dont have to offer it for free, but at this point... rockstar is making millions just off the seasons in GTA.

Last edited:

iorek21

It’s this price because no matter the price there will always be someone shilling for this stuff. I can bet anything that in just a few hours of release there will be at least 20 reddit posts praising the port.

So… well, there’s a market for this.

Stuff like this just confirms my theory that the global market is now too large to punish bad ideas. Even if a fraction of a fraction of a percent support a practice, it will be financially sustainable.

Yeah, £40 is too much. £20 and I’d bite for Switch. It’ll sell like hot cakes I’m sure though because most Switch owners have been conditioned to pay whatever the fuck the publisher asks for.

VulcanRaven

I wonder why RDR2 doesn't have a next-gen patch? Xbox Series S version has a resolution lower than 1080p.

Last edited:

skit_data

"Commercially accurate" is a pretty damn funny expression.
I bet people said the same when they bought tulip bulbs for their year salary during the tulip mania.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
It takes a special kind of stupid to pre order or buy it straight up before anything is revealed about its condition
Season 2 GIF by The Simpsons

We all know this will be the reaction on Thursday when we see this cheap, low effort port sold to the lowest bidder. No offence to the devs who worked on this, but Rockstar/take two just are a caricature of one of the greedy corporations in GTA but now in real life. Maybe when Dan left that was the signal fire that they were going to be less than gracious with the way they were going to treat historic IP going forward and he didn’t like that. Who knows.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
lol “commercially accurate” for sure
switch owners pretty much conditioned to pay full price for old ass games by now.
pretty much nothing ever gets a price cut on the system.
I thought the same way before getting one, but most games receive discounts similar to those in other stores. First-party games have discounts ranging from 30% to 50%, and if there's no discount, you can use a voucher code to get 20% off on one of two games.

MiguelItUp

It's true. Out there people will have opinions on the pricing of many things, but there will also be people that are willing to pay that price and don't question anything. It's a shame, but that's how it goes. The more those people buy at that price, the more we'll continue to see things at that price.

That CEO sucks though. It's absurd to think of a 13 year old game ported with no enhancements being that price, lol.

People will buy this at $50, especially on Switch, because it has no equal. Has a better western game been released in the past 13 years (aside from maybe the sequel)? I haven't played this since its initial launch on PS3 so I'm looking forward to playing through it again on a portable, if the port is decent enough.

This is one of the rare times a third party is able to act like Nintendo and sell a 13 year old game for $50, because like Mario/Zelda/Smash/Kart, this game is still unrivaled in its genre.

Top Bottom