• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two Posts Loss, Slashes Forecasts -- GTA:SA on schedule, GTA GBA still coming

cja

Reuters report -- Losses and Forecasts
Reuters report -- Shares Fall

Press Release of 2nd quarter results and appointment of new CEO

Part of the press release talking of future game releases:
Future Publishing Highlights

Take-Two has an extensive product lineup planned this holiday season. Rockstar will introduce Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the next iteration in the globally successful franchise. Developed by world-class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be available exclusively for the PlayStation 2 and is expected to be in stores in North America on October 19, 2004 and in Europe on October 22, 2004. Rockstar has begun previewing the game to key trade publications and the title has already graced the cover of the June 2004 issue of Game Informer magazine in which the first information and screenshots were revealed to the public at this year's E3 in the magazine's feature story.

Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition, the third installment in the multi-million unit selling, genre-defining Midnight Club racing franchise developed by Rockstar San Diego, is planned for release on PlayStation 2 and Xbox this holiday season. The Warriors(TM), a new title based on the Paramount Pictures feature film, is also scheduled for a holiday season launch on PlayStation 2. Additionally, Rockstar plans to release an extension of the Grand Theft Auto franchise for the Game Boy Advance this Fall.

Gathering's product lineup planned for the fourth quarter includes Conflict: Vietnam, the next game in the successful Conflict series, scheduled for release in North America on multiple platforms this fall. Other Gathering products planned to ship in the fourth quarter include Close Combat: First to Fight for Xbox and PC; Robotech: Invasion and Vietcong: Purple Haze, both for PlayStation 2 and Xbox; and Kohan II: Kings of War for PC.

Global Star's lineup of products for the fourth quarter includes Outlaw Golf 2 for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox; Scaler for PlayStation 2, Xbox and GameCube; Classified: The Sentinel Crisis for the PlayStation 2; a Game Boy Advance title based on Cartoon Network's hit series Codename: Kids Next Door; and Dora The Explorer: Super Star Adventures for the Game Boy Advance. Further out, Global Star's lineup includes Spy vs. Spy for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox; Ford Mustang: 40th Anniversary Edition for the PC, PlayStation 2, and Xbox; a deluxe version of Outlaw Volleyball for the PlayStation 2 featuring new content and enhancements to the franchise; Motocross Mania 3 for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox; and Outlaw Tennis for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox.

Also planned for release this Summer and Fall are various titles from ESPN Videogames, under a co-publishing and exclusive distribution agreement, subject to finalization and closing, with SEGA Corporation.

Is that the same long ago canceled GBA GTA? Almost sounds like an all new game..at this point a DS GTA launch title would make more sense.

Kobun Heat said:
In what way?

Because they'd atleast be able to add the behind the back view and make it work properly. I don't see the GBA being able to accomplish that with good results. They'd also be able to put in a decent amount of songs and voice acting.

In what way?

For starters, with the dual screen, they could have both 3d and classic views? Secondly, a GTA launch title for DS could be a huge selling factor. Additionally, DS' power is better suited to the game than GBA.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Profit wise, a GBA GTA would make more sense, but with the DS they could make a game much more similar to the GTA the public is used to (with some neat new features to boot)

Of course if they only go NDS, and have it ready by launch time, they could potentally sell as much or more than they would have if they just pulled from the GBA audience. More attention at launch and all that.

GTA DS would be great. Run the game on one screen and a map on the other. I know the map is a pretty "cop-out" idea for a second screen but it would help GTA so much. They could run inventory up there too probably. Anything would be better than the mini-map on the console verisons (which actually isn't horrible in the first place).

AirBrian

It would be pretty cool to have a GTA2 type overhead view on one screen and a GTA3 type 3D view on the main screen.

hobbitx

I'd like it if the one of the screens functioned as your own com device. You can get messages from all kinds of potential employers, maybe you even see them when they talk to you. It would be nice to also organize your own thugs and send them orders from your com device, I really want more gang interaction in GTA.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
The main problem I see with a GTA3-styled game on the DS is that it would probably look pretty horrible. As it is, I think the PS2 versions aren't that great-looking, but the additional power hit with the game on the DS would probably result in either a) a MUCH smaller city with MUCH less things to do, just for the sake of getting the game to run decently, or b) a game that runs like ass.

On the other hand, people have been able to pull some pretty amazing stuff out of the GBA, so maybe it could be done.

jarrod

Banned
If Rockstar was smart they'd have just scooped up Payback when they could have and rebranded it as a GTA game...

payback_041404_009.jpg
payback_041404_006.jpg
payback_041404_007.jpg
payback_101703_3.jpg

...I doubt they'll come up with something better by the fourth quarter.

GigaDrive said:
I wanna hear about the next gen GTA for PS3.

GTA:SA = rehash

Someone's hasn't been keeping up with SA. With all the things they're adding to SA there's no way this can be considered a rehash.

bjork

I am really interested in seeing how they pull of GTA on the GBA either way... I'm reckoning it'll clock in at $39 or $44 just because it can, though. :(

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
GigaDrive said:
I wanna hear about the next gen GTA for PS3.

GTA:SA = rehash
Please do a modicum of research before posting on subjects you know little about. You'll come off slightly less asinine in the future.

Thank you, and good day.

please bishop its the same thinly veiled shit people used against vice city

Rockstar: Its more of a modified GTA 3 with new features in the 80s, not a sequel

FUCKTARDS: OMG SI NEW GTA *fapfapfapfapfap*

(months pass)

ELITEFUCKTARDS: Vice City is so passe its like just a modified gta 3 witn new features *insert witty milking a cow pic*, now excuse i must go watch/play some stupid shit game that furthers my introversion in society.

Renegade

Banned
They could pull GTA at PSP launch. It would be much more fitting to the audience Sony wants to sell the PSP to. Also, widescreen GTA would be much more accepted and useful than 2 screens. More could be done as far as the tech as well. Perhaps the graphics on the PSP could be the level of PS2 games, or a notch lower, and not just all and all out bad.

If GTA PSPwas released at launch of the PSP, it could very easily be the PSP's killer app and sell to a very high ratio of all PSP buyers, as Halo has on the Xbox. They should scrap GTA GBA, because it (GBA) is on its way out in a few months whereas GTA could sell for months on end..

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Vagabond said:
They could pull GTA at PSP launch. It would be much more fitting to the audience Sony wants to sell the PSP to. Also, widescreen GTA would be much more accepted and useful than 2 screens. More could be done as far as the tech as well. Perhaps the graphics on the PSP could be the level of PS2 games, or a notch lower, and not just all and all out bad.

If GTA PSPwas released at launch of the PSP, it could very easily be the PSP's killer app and sell to a very high ratio of all PSP buyers, as Halo has on the Xbox. They should scrap GTA GBA, because it (GBA) is on its way out in a few months whereas GTA could sell for months on end..
Assuming GTA's popularity level has not diminished by the time PSP launches, I think this is a good idea.

Top Bottom