• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales from the Borderlands is fantastic

I bought the first episode in November of 2014 and i also bought the Season Pass after it quite soon. I finished the first episode and never really got around to play the other episodes until well....this month. Just too many other games, plus the fact that episode 1 had not managed to set its claws in me......yet.

Now after i have finished it, i can only say this, what a fucking awesome game. I had not expected that a story based game based on Borderlands would turn out so great. I've always digged the Borderlands franchise, but wasn't a hardcore fan of it and i am ashamed to admit i never finished Borderlands 2, i did get far though, but this game managed to make me really want to play Borderlands 2 again and i will do that soon. I absolutely love the mixture of humour and more sad, emotional bits here , spoiler alert
Scooter. Noooooo!
and boy....the humour is fucking hilarious, so many lovable things here in that regard. I'm definitely going for a second playthrough, because sometimes choosing different dialogue options, will bring you hilarious scenes.

And that brings me to the characters. Now we all know Borderlands has always had some really well done characters, but damn they are simply fantastic here and to be honest, i like them all, the good and bad guys...they are just awesome. I mean how could you hate
Handsome Jack with his awesome jokes?
overall just incredibly likeable characters. You really see how much Telltale has grown in that regard. I mean sure...there were some really nice characters in TWD and TWAU, but i don't find them as well done as what we got here. Like i said before, the first episode of Tales was nice, but it truly took off with episode 2 and it only gets better and better. It's just crystal clear that this game was made with love, you see it in the characters, the story, the fantastic music, everything really.

And even though there are not a whole lot of consequences to your choices, i was surprised to find out there actually are a few and i might go for a second playthrough because of that.
So i can see what other characters i can add to my Vault Team if i wanted. And for that i simply have to save all my money during the game.

and that ending....

OF COURSE we didn't get to see what was in that chest, and it seemed when the camera was zoomed out that both Rhys and Fiona weren't there anymore. I am sure we'll find out in the second season and i can't wait. Lovely to have all these characters in a new season again, i am very fine with that.

Speaking of the last scenes in the finale, a few very nice surprises and even a twist(loader bot) awesome, just awesome. So damn glad to see Gortys coming back and when it seemed that Sasha was dying, the gift from Felix turned out to be exactly what would bring her back to life. I was just so damn glad...not ashamed to say i got goosebumps at these parts. And i haven't even mentioned the awesome fight between Gortys and the Vault Monster.......sick!!!

Now on to some questions for the folks who have finished it:

1- We never find out how Rhys got that robot arm, or have i not been paying attention when this was explained?

2- Also, in the finale we take his arm off and his eye out. In present day however he has the arm and eye again, any explanation for this? When we later find out Loader Bot was the one holding Fiano and Rhys captive, we see a flashback where he takes the new robot body and we see Rhys there on the ground...am i to assume Loader Bot fixed his arm and eye?

3- I assume that in this season Rhys and Sasha can't yet officially be a thing, right? I let Fiona give Rhys her blessing for it though and i took every opportunity to bring Rhys and Sasha closer to eachother. I definitely like how their bond develops throughout the story, very nicely done. But i assume this is how it ends for everybody, right? Or could some dialogue options have made a big difference?

4- Handsome Jack. Man he is such an awesome villain and he has done some unspeakable evil things, but i can't help but still love the guy and he's hilarious as hell. There do some to be some moments when he speaks that he seems sincere, when he spoke about his daughter and such. Is the guy capable of emotions and being sincere or was this all him simply being his manipulative self? Also in the finale...he tells Rhys not to cut him off when he's about to take his own eye out, Jack seemed prettty serious there, scared even. And fuck...i actually felt sorry :(

5- How many weeks/months have passed since the disappearance of Vaugn and the crew flying to helios and eventually them crashing on new planet in the finale? Apparently enough time for Vaughn to have changed into a bad-ass, looking similar to Obi Wan Kenobi from the second SW trilogy and for him to have built that new base.

6- Does this game have some kind of link to the Pre-Sequel? Cause i could swear the planet where they crash on in the finale, is something i saw in the Pre-Sequel.

So yeah...Telltale. Well done! I look really really forward to the new season and at the same time i am looking forward to all their upcoming games, because it seems whatever they do, they do it right. Yep the engine is clearly struggling in parts, for me especially in the finale episode actually, but it just can't ruin all the other awesome things here. The other day i made a thread here about how Telltale could learn from DontNod, a thing or two and i think i'll take that back, well maybe not everything. I'd still like to see more actual gameplay parts, because i believe it will make it only better, but if they don't....i am good with that too. Telltale is fantastic with their characters and storytelling.

I definitely place Tales from the Borderlands next to TWD, easily actually.

Ok, that's all folks. :)

see5harp

I only played the first episode on a whim after getting through 2 eps of Life is Strange...and I quite like it. It follows the formula Telltale has been using since The Walking Dead but just the presentation, tone, writing, and just execution was much better than I expected. I still think Telltale should ditch their engine at this point and get away from the formula but man they deserve a lot of credit for the first episode. Definitely better than anything I've played from them ever.

I really hated it.

The humor just fell flat for me, and I really couldn't feel any connections between any of the characters.
For something that should pride itself on that, it really came up short imo.

RoKKeR

It is. Loader Bot is the best character of the year. Too bad Telltale made it and therefore the performance is shit. Playing Life is Strange has made me realize how poor the perifmance of Tales really is.

I only played the first episode on a whim after getting through 2 eps of Life is Strange...and I quite like it. It follows the formula Telltale has been using since The Walking Dead but just the presentation, tone, writing, and just execution was much better than I expected. I still think Telltale should ditch their engine at this point and get away from the formula but man they deserve a lot of credit for the first episode. Definitely better than anything I've played from them ever.

The first one is nothing compared to the rest. it becomes so damn fantastic. Play on! :D

exYle

I just finished last night! And yes, it was absolutely fantastic. Loved every second.

1- We never find out how Rhys got that robot arm, or have i not been paying attention when this was explained?

2- Also, in the finale we take his arm off and his eye out. In present day however he has the arm and eye again, any explanation for this? When we later find out Loader Bot was the one holding Fiano and Rhys captive, we see a flashback where he takes the new robot body and we see Rhys there on the ground...am i to assume Loader Bot fixed his arm and eye?

3- I assume that in this season Rhys and Sasha can't yet officially be a thing, right? I let Fiona give Rhys her blessing for it though and i took every opportunity to bring Rhys and Sasha closer to eachother. I definitely like how their bond develops throughout the story, very nicely done. But i assume this is how it ends for everybody, right? Or could some dialogue options have made a big difference?

4- Handsome Jack. Man he is such an awesome villain and he has done some unspeakable evil things, but i can't help but still love the guy and he's hilarious as hell. There do some to be some moments when he speaks that he seems sincere, when he spoke about his daughter and such. Is the guy capable of emotions and being sincere or was this all him simply being his manipulative self? Also in the finale...he tells Rhys not to cut him off when he's about to take his own eye out, Jack seemed prettty serious there, scared even. And fuck...i actually felt sorry :(

5- How many weeks/months have passed since the disappearance of Vaugn and the crew flying to helios and eventually them crashing on new planet in the finale? Apparently enough time for Vaughn to have changed into a bad-ass, looking similar to Obi Wan Kenobi from the second SW trilogy and for him to have built that new base.

6- Does this game have some kind of link to the Pre-Sequel? Cause i could swear the planet where they crash on in the finale, is something i saw in the Pre-Sequel.

1 - It is never explained why Rhys has a Hyperion arm

2- He rebuilt his arm and eye after Helios exploded. You can see that his old fake eye was blue, and his new a brownish-amber

3 - The relationship is never fully realized in the game. That particular plotline ends in TFTB with Fiona approving or not of Rhys

4 - Jack's still human, but he's pretty crazy. He was genuinely very upset in Borderlands 2 when his daughter dies

5 - At least a few months. Rhys had restarted Atlas during this time

6 - Well, Athena and Claptrap and Jack are all main characters in the Pre-Sequel. Other than that, not really

Zomba13

Now on to some questions for the folks who have finished it:

Yeah it is pretty great. Better than I expected from a Borderlands thing (you know, in characters and story) and glad I finally decided to get it during the Steam sale.

1)
Never Explained.
2)
Rhys probably got it fixed up after the fact. Maybe found one of the clothing station things. Plus he had money now that he owned Atlas (though going from what they talk about at the end may not have actually done anything with it yet)
3)
Yeah. They don't do anything, just they end up liking each other (if you play it that way) and you can confess to Fiona and get her blessing (again, if you play that way). Things get cut off with them going in the Vault and opening the chest/using the teleporter.
4)
Evil/manipulative through and through. The moments of seemingly actual emotion aren't because he cares about anyone else, but because he cares about himself. He didn't want Rhys to cut him off/destroy the eye computer thing because it'd kill him. Any compliment to Rhys was more a "You might actually get me a new body!" kind of thing, something to get Rhys to warm up to him to make him easier to manipulate.
5)
Not sure on the time frame. Probably a month or more.
6)
The pre-sequel links are just characters like Athena. It's set post Borderlands 2 and they crash back on Pandora but I don't know what region.

see5harp

The first one is nothing compared to the rest. it becomes so damn fantastic. Play on! :D

I'm sure they do shocking things with the characters like they've done before. I primarily just liked how they started with one character, introduced another and switch perspectives with a backtrack, then while the story is being narrated switching back and forth, etc. Just the presentation was something much more creative than what they've done in the past. It also matches up pretty close with the look of the actual property. I'm shocked that someone mentioned Fables, which really felt average to me as a big fan of the comic.

It is. Loader Bot is the best character of the year. Too bad Telltale made it and therefore the performance is shit. Playing Life is Strange has made me realize how poor the perifmance of Tales really is.

Loader bot for the win, but Gortys is fantastic too, just so fucking cute, haha. Honestly i did not have that many problems with the performance, even though there were plenty of hiccups here and there and it truly got quite bad in the later scenes in the finale...yeah it's a shame but it didn't ruin it for me. LIS is a lot better but it also has its problems with performance and graphical things here and there, just not nearly as bad as Tales though.

MidEvlDed

I agree with you OP. I thought this game was fantastic. I played it for the first time two weeks ago and I have finished it twice now. To answer some of your questions:

There was never any backstory for Rhys's character so we don't find out how or why he got the arm or the eye.

Rhys explains that after he woke up from being unconscious he took the Atlas stock certificate that Jack had and became the new head of the company. He went back to the abandoned atlas facility and worked on some new prototypes including a new arm and eye we are to assume. I always thought it was strange that loader bot just left him there though. Maybe loader bot just thought he was dead already?

They never say how long it was from the crash to everyone being reunited again. But based on Vaughn's hair in a pony tail I would say that it's been close to one year since Helios went down.

Always puts a smile on my face to see one of these threads. Completely underrated. So many folks wave it off because of the borderlands setting, and they are missing what is arguably the best Telltale game to date.

Yeah it's great, I really hope we see a second season because Telltale did a great job of making me actually get invested in the Borderlands universe.

see5harp

Loader bot for the win, but Gortys is fantastic too, just so fucking cute, haha. Honestly i did not have that many problems with the performance, even though there were plenty of hiccups here and there and it truly got quite bad in the later scenes in the finale...yeah it's a shame but it didn't ruin it for me. LIS is a lot better but it also has its problems with performance and graphical things here and there, just not nearly as bad as Tales though.

It's not just the performance but just their continued reliance on QTE's, the lack of player agency...that sorta stuff that I think Life is Strange did A LOT better (on top of just running super smooth on an old as dirt PC).

I just finished last night! And yes, it was absolutely fantastic. Loved every second.

1 - It is never explained why Rhys has a Hyperion arm

2- He rebuilt his arm and eye after Helios exploded. You can see that his old fake eye was blue, and his new a brownish-amber

3 - The relationship is never fully realized in the game. That particular plotline ends in TFTB with Fiona approving or not of Rhys

4 - Jack's still human, but he's pretty crazy. He was genuinely very upset in Borderlands 2 when his daughter dies

5 - At least a few months. Rhys had restarted Atlas during this time

6 - Well, Athena and Claptrap and Jack are all main characters in the Pre-Sequel. Other than that, not really

Speaking of Claptrap....

I have been wondering where he was. In what episode is he? Because i did not see him once.....which is sad because i love Claptrap.

It's an amazing game that I shill all the time because more people need to buy and play it for us to get a season 2

There's also a spoiler thread if you guys wanna discuss stuff freely without walls of black bars

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127735

Always puts a smile on my face to see one of these threads. Completely underrated. So many folks wave it off because of the borderlands setting, and they are missing what is arguably the best Telltale game to date.

Haha, well in that case i am shilling though. Ever since i started playing it i've been bothering my friends about it constantly. I've said it multiple times to them that even if you are not a big Borderlands fan, you should check this out. I told them how incredibly surprised i was how much i actually was enjoying it and that i had not seen this coming, being all about Borderlands. People need to get that out of their head. If they digged TWD for the characters and story, go for Tales from the Borderlands, because it's equally as good.

Ah yeah man, i love the music in the game. It suits the game perfectly. I already looked a few songs up, just that damn nice. Especially the one during episode 2, but also the end credits song.

Yeah it's great, I really hope we see a second season because Telltale did a great job of making me actually get invested in the Borderlands universe.

I think they already confirmed a season 2?
The ending is open enough....
It's not just the performance but just their continued reliance on QTE's, the lack of player agency...that sorta stuff that I think Life is Strange did A LOT better (on top of just running super smooth on an old as dirt PC).

Yeah i thought the same, right after finishing LIS i started playing Tales...but it didn't take long until i just didn't care about it. I still do think giving the player more contrrol and less QTE will make their games even better though, no doubt.

Zomba13

Speaking of Claptrap....

I have been wondering where he was. In what episode is he? Because i did not see him once.....which is sad because i love Claptrap.

Turns out he's
in the very last episode if you have Felix alive and warned him of the bomb and didn't shoot him he gives you money to hire a mystery Vault Hunter and it ends up being Claptrap

Bizzquik

I really hated it.

The humor just fell flat for me, and I really couldn't feel any connections between any of the characters.
For something that should pride itself on that, it really came up short imo.

Hate may be a strong word, but I felt it was one of TellTale's weakest entries.

The main villain,
Handsome Jack
, was amazing, though. Every time he was on screen the game got appreciably better and more interesting.

Banter between the leads felt forced to me.

Ferrio

Banned
Speaking of Claptrap....

I actually never looked it up, but I"m pretty sure he's one of the people you can enlist at the end if you have enough money. The person is really short whoever it is, and i saw his name in the credits.

edit: looks like someone covered it.

Apdiddy

Episode 3 & 4 had the best openings for me as well.
"To The Top" went from being a mopey '80s breakup song to "Fuck yeah! I'm going to space and it sounds awesome!" song.

The rest of the game is great and I found myself liking it enough to have it in my top 5 for 2015.

RoKKeR

Also forgot to mention that this game has the GOAT opening sequences. Music choice, framing/pacing, so good.

Courage

I'll play it this weekend. I'd like something tonally different from Life is Strange since that's the last episodic adventure game I played and it was incredibly sad.

I'm also particularly interested because a lot of people that dislike the writing and humor of the Borderlands series, like myself, seem to be vouching for this one.

see5harp

I feel like the writing and humor is much better in this than in Borderlands. That might also just come down to jokes with camera cuts and reactions are just a lot easier to pull off outside of a first person shooter game. From the little I've played, it's definitely grabbed my attention. The only reason I haven't bought the rest of the episodes is that I'm waiting to see whether gamefly gets a physical edition.

Turns out he's
in the very last episode if you have Felix alive and warned him of the bomb and didn't shoot him he gives you money to hire a mystery Vault Hunter and it ends up being Claptrap

Oh snap...
Yep i took my shot at Felix, missed but did not warn him. At that point i was like...''screw you dude...'' cool stuff this. I'll keep him alive for my second pt.

I purchased the season pass when it was on sale a few weeks back on PSN. As someone who has never played a Borderlands game (I own all 3 tho) should I play the OG Borderlands and then my Handsome collection in order to "get" Tales of the Borderlands?

Can I go in blind and just play it without any prior knowledge of the prior games and still get a satisfactory experience?

Gxgear

Best of Telltale I've seen for sure. The source material being Borderlands definitely helped it out a lot, the humour in that series carried seamlessly over.

I will say that Life is Strange completely blew it out of the water though.

I purchased the season pass when it was on sale a few weeks back on PSN. As someone who has never played a Borderlands game (I own all 3 tho) should I play the OG Borderlands and then my Handsome collection in order to "get" Tales of the Borderlands?

Can I go in blind and just play it without any prior knowledge of the prior games and still get a satisfactory experience?

Playing the other Borderlands title will enhance the ToTB experience.

Yep. I honestly think it's the best thing recent Taletale has done. Epi 2 was the only flat episode, compared to Twd were Epi 2/5 were the only exceptional episodes.

Best of Telltale I've seen for sure. The source material being Borderlands definitely helped it out a lot, the humour in that series carried seamlessly over.

I will say that Life is Strange completely blew it out of the water though.

Yeahhhh. I've only completed one episode on LiS, and its laughable how much better the writing and characterization is compared to Telltale. Not even close to the same leauge.

Hate may be a strong word, but I felt it was one of TellTale's weakest entries.

The main villain,
Handsome Jack
, was amazing, though. Every time he was on screen the game got appreciably better and more interesting.

Banter between the leads felt forced to me.

Oh man i thought Vasquez was absolutely hilarious too. It doesn't happen often for me, but i truly liked every character here. Of course some more than the other, but overall i see no weak characters here.

Episode 3 & 4 had the best openings for me as well.
"To The Top" went from being a mopey '80s breakup song to "Fuck yeah! I'm going to space and it sounds awesome!" song.

The rest of the game is great and I found myself liking it enough to have it in my top 5 for 2015.

I had never heard any of these songs before and i do know quite a few 80s songs, i am definitely looking all of these up and listen to them and see if these artists have more that i'd like. Yeah if i had finished this last year, it would have easily ended up in my top 5 too.

Damn, OP wrote a whole freaking essay.

It truly was amazing, my favorite TT game over Wolf Among Us.

Yeah...when i really like something a lot, i just want to write about it. Let the people that still have doubts know that this is worth it and of course to discuss it with people that finished it and loved it as well.

Also forgot to mention that this game has the GOAT opening sequences. Music choice, framing/pacing, so good.

Exactly that. I had forgotten to mention that. As soon as the game starts you get those awesome scenes. It's all very well done. I'm definitely going to fire up the Borderlands Collection this week, restart Borderlands 2 and finish it this time. I'm completely in the mood for more Borderlands. Love this universe.

Sinistral

I played both Life is Strange and Tales from the Borderlands over the holidays. Excellent games with TftB being the clear winner for me. Maybe it's all the grim dark, gloomy, and overly serious games as of late but, I found the jolly light hearted escapade in Borderlands to be a great ride and left me smiling. Wish I could find more like it. Best TellTale game for me over Wolf and then Walking Dead S1.

BouncyFrag

I'm about to start this. I just finished the Claptrap dlc in the Pre-sequel and ended up really liking it, so much so that I actually gave a damn about Claptrap at the end of it which left me feeling awkward, lol.

Borderlands has wriggled it's way into becoming one of my favorite franchises. I'm pumped to start this Tales game.

Nope, nothing so far.

The one Telltale game that deserved a second season from the get go and didn't.

Yeah what the hell is up with that? Game of Thrones has a second season confirmed, while i was told it definitely isn't anything amazing, i have yet to start with it though. Not going to do that until i am up to date with the show itself.

We are getting a TWD game about Michonne...yeah....cool i guess, Batman, ok fun stuff, but no Tales from the Borderlands season 2 confirmation yet, what a shame. I'm gonna assume it didn't sell too well? Especially compared to Telltale's other games? If so, a goddamn shame and undeserving. It really does Borderlands justice in so many ways and in terms of humour is actually better than it.

Season 2 needs to happen...because
i really want to find out what's next for Rhys and Fiona and all the others. It's clearly a open ending, so their intention is definitely to make a second one if you ask me. Come on Telltale.

I'm about to start this. I just finished the Claptrap dlc in the Pre-sequel and ended up really liking it, so much so that I actually gave a damn about Claptrap at the end of it which left me feeling awkward, lol.

Borderlands has wriggled it's way into becoming one of my favorite franchises. I'm pumped to start this Tales game.

Claptrap is an awesome little guy, i can definitely understand what you mean. I am sure you're going to love Tales' characters.

Ferrio

Banned
Season 2 needs to happen...because
i really want to find out what's next for Rhys and Fiona and all the others. It's clearly a open ending, so their intention is definitely to make a second one if you ask me. Come on Telltale.

They could be saving them for Borderlands 3. Tales did have a lot of effect on the Borderlands universe, I wouldn't be surprised if they tie them in more tightly for 3. Then follow that up with season 2? *shrugs*

BibiMaghoo

I enjoyed it much more than I expected to going in, it was a solid season and I would recommend it to others for sure. I read it kind of bombed though, and so maybe not to expect another season.

FirLocke

I've had difficulty getting into any of Telltale's games but for some reason this has stuck. I'm on episode 3 and fully intend on finishing it! Very enjoyable, and a great game to take screenshots of.

chris121580

I just finished this today...started playing yesterday. Absolutely phenomenal game from beginning to end and the use of Twin Shadow was fantastic. No game has made me laugh out loud nearly as much as this one.
The finger gun scene was so ridiculous and hilariously random. I loved it

We are getting a TWD game about Michonne...yeah....cool i guess, Batman, ok fun stuff, but no Tales from the Borderlands season 2 confirmation yet, what a shame. I'm gonna assume it didn't sell too well? Especially compared to Telltale's other games? If so, a goddamn shame and undeserving. It really does Borderlands justice in so many ways and in terms of humour is actually better than it.

It makes more sense to release it as a tie in to Borderlands 3, which won't be coming till Fall 2017 to Fall 2018. Have it lead in by introducing key characters and the planet(s). Have tftbl chatacters aa quest givers in BL3. We'll see if they do it though.

They could be saving them for Borderlands 3. Tales surprisingly did have a lot of effect on the Borderlands universe, I wouldn't be surprised if they tie them in more tightly for 3. Then follow that up with season 2? *shrugs*

Yeah i've been wondering why a Borderlands 3 announcement still hasn't happened yet. Gearbox clearly wants to get Battleborn out of the door first. It's been a long time since i played Borderlands for the last time, but i do recall Claptrap being awesome and funny as hell. But Scooter for example and other characters simply didn't nearly seem as well done as in Tales. Make a Borderlands 3 and have Telltale included in the team i say. :)

Top Bottom