• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise beyond the dawn Reviews

SantaC

no new skills or Artes...wtf

This is 30 dollars...compare that with RE4 Remake separate ways for $10

73 at metacritic now.

Last edited:

Kurotri

I find the existence of this DLC perplexing. It comes out way too late, like 2 years late, and nobody really cared for Arise after a week or two. Arise had many problems especially in its second half, and this DLC doesn't really aim to change anything it seems.
Despite the developer having said straight away that Tales of Arise: Beyond the Dawn would feature no new gameplay element, it is still disappointing to be playing the same identical game we did in 2021.
With the story being set after the ending of the base game, it was assumed that progress would be carried over onto the expansion, but that is not the case. Those with a complete file from the base game can get some extras to get them started in the New World, but nothing carries over.
Traversal and exploration, much like combat, haven't seen any major improvement, so you will be exploring the same towns and the same fields seen in the base game with only some minor changes related to the unification of the two worlds, further making the expansion feel dull.
What the hell, man? They didn't even try.

Also Berseria best Tales.

FIX_tob_status_001_Velvetnormal_nohin_1461149738.jpg

SantaC

I find the existence of this DLC perplexing. It comes out way too late, like 2 years late, and nobody really cared for Arise after a week or two. Arise had many problems especially in its second half, and this DLC doesn't really aim to change anything it seems.

Yes i agree that Berseria is much better than this.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Shame, ToA is one of the best surprises ever,i though they did a good job in updating this series ,presentation,animations,
pacing and combat

But never thought it needed any 'DLC' the game is complete and ended perfectly ,so whatever it would be sounds like half assed add on so they can resell the game

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yes i agree that Berseria is much better than this.
I tried playing Berseria after completing Arise but dropped it , have some issues with this game i guess longtime fans are used to

Berseria starts strong and has slightly more interesting characters/plot, but where ToA streamlines the design and pacing so it resembles a modern action RPG, Berseria still has that old school design with bloat, for example there are boring fetchquests, that are part of the main plot but just not interesting, you need to walk for hours and then backtrack the exact same way (without the option of fast travel) repeat,the costumization menu is tedious as well ,you add hours if you keep upgrading your characters constantly and the game throws gear at you like its a bit more complex than in Arise but not anything special.

may get back to playing it but its not the same imo

Last edited:

JayK47

I have no interest in this. Why even do it? It sounds pretty bad unless you absolutely need more Tales. I would rather replay older Tales games.

Shame, ToA is one of the best surprises ever,i though they did a good job in updating this series ,presentation,animations,
pacing and combat

But never thought it needed any 'DLC' the game is complete and ended perfectly ,so whatever it would be sounds like half assed add on so they can resell the game
The game was a great 25-30hr game. But then it did a bleach and doubled the length causing normal people to bail.

Astral Dog

The game was a great 25-30hr game. But then it did a bleach and doubled the length causing normal people to bail.
Its funny because i checked reddit at the time and many of the fans were complaining constantly that they found the game 'short'/ lacking in content ,no kidding thats how they value jrpgs i think ,in hours played 🤣they just see it differently

I agree i prefer (slightly)shorter games as long as they have great content, ToA was massive as it is but i enjoyed playing enough to complete it

Its funny because i checked reddit at the time and many of the fans were complaining constantly that they found the game 'short'/ lacking in content ,no kidding thats how they value jrpgs i think ,in hours played 🤣they just see it differently

I agree i prefer (slightly)shorter games as long as they have great content, ToA was massive as it is but i enjoyed playing enough to complete it
Phantasy Star 4, Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean 2 length rpgs? Wonderful. Great. Amazing.

Tales from my ass and complaining it isn't long enough after 50+ hours and it needs more content?

I miss Berseria

Fbh

These 7/10 scores seem weird. Every Review I read sounds like a 3/10 but they seem afraid to actually score it accordingly.

$30.
No new skills or playable characters
Almost no new enemies, and many of the new ones are just reskins.
Bad spongy bosses.
Some new dungeons but you also go back to the same towns and fields of the base game.
Meh story.

This sounds like a $10 DLC that should have come out like 6 months after the game

Go_Ly_Dow

I played the demo of Star Ocean 2 R, is the full game as good as the demo? I may have to pick it up.
It is and is well worth your time! Support it and it'll show S-E if they put effort into their remasters/remakes then people willl buy them. ;)

Last edited:

Doom85

It’s a game with spells and monsters and all kinds of fantastical things, but ya, let’s focus on her costume lololololol

I think her design is great.

Not to mention her attitude and her explanation of why she wears it legit sells it. They even have a good explanation on why cold environments don’t affect her.

Some fanservice is designed more for sexy than actual logic of why the character is dressed that way, but Tales of Berseria does use actual logic.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Not to mention her attitude and her explanation of why she wears it legit sells it. They even have a good explanation on why cold environments don’t affect her.

Some fanservice is designed more for sexy than actual logic of why the character is dressed that way, but Tales of Berseria does use actual logic.
ehh I think when they try to give in-universe explanations like this it just makes it worse. Like we all know it’s for nerds to masturbate to, you don’t need to draw more attention to it.

GrouchyGamer

Neo Member
I actually preordered this and it shows purchased in PS store and released today, but nothing in my download history and no option to download from the dashboard. WTH? Maybe I will just request a refund. I had no trouble with FFXVI which auto downloaded upon release. No idea what's up with this one.

For me it’s fine if the reason they give fits naturally within the story, but even when it doesn’t I don’t really care that much.

A more sexy design is fine, there’s an entire spectrum of design choices an artist could make from extremely conservative to compete nudity. But anytime a character is on the more sexy end of the spectrum people start complaining. I think it has more to do with those peoples own sexual issues than anything else. Sexy and/or provocative designs mix things up and provide variety. We are visual creatures after-all.

Doom85

For me it’s fine if the reason they give fits naturally within the story, but even when it doesn’t I don’t really care that much.

A more sexy design is fine, there’s an entire spectrum of design choices an artist could make from extremely conservative to compete nudity. But anytime a character is on the more sexy end of the spectrum people start complaining. I think it has more to do with those peoples own sexual issues than anything else. Sexy and/or provocative designs mix things up and provide variety. We are visual creatures after-all.

I don’t mind it, though on the other hand then there also are certain stories where it comes off as ridiculous that people whine the character isn’t sexy to them. Like The Last of Us Part 2 and Ellie. Ah yes, a world that is 25 years into a zombie apocalypse, how can she possibly not have access to good makeup and a hair stylist?

As long as it fits the tone of the franchise, I don’t mind either approach. Tales’ outfits are often outlandish in general, even ones that are pretty conservatively designed, so Velvet’s outfit doesn’t even seem that out of place to me.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished it. I’ll avoid posting any spoilers but I thought it was ok. If it hadn’t been made then that would have been fine and now that it exists I think it’s fine. Nothing wrong with waiting for a sale if you have other stuff to play during this busy month.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I feel like instead of making this they should have done it like Tales of Vesperia's update and re-release - add the new character into the story (Patty), make one of the previously unplayable characters playable (Flynn), and then expand the story of the base game. Like Persona 5 Royal as well now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

so ended up downloading this and been playing some hours

Combat im not sure how this works since a lot is unlocked but not all skills ,feels like im continuing exactly from the ending but unlocking Arts that i don't think i seen before , but pretty much nothing 'new'.

plot wise there are plenty of good details about how the world has progressed since the ending, and this party gosh all of them are such dorks, nothing changed 🤣worth playing for this alone

there has been one small 'new' dungeon at the beginning and then random quests,two story bosses so far, not bad but nothing special either im still not quite sure were the story is going,have a guess but it does appear to have some importance in the overall 'lore'/narrative

the environments appear to have changed slightly but i don't even care if there are barely new assets tbh, this game looks like a moving painting🖼️ i have no idea how this team made these fucking towns look gorgeous

Whats going to lack in this DLC ,more than anything else are new gameplay mechanics,there is always potential to try new ideas that wouldn't fit in the main production for whatever reason, Capcom does it, Nintendo as well, also Square Enix.
is 'more of the same' for Tales of Arise a bad thing? at least to me not really since im enjoying revisiting this world, just going to feel lacking / non essential for gamers who been waiting the tease of the next big game for example (still it may push the game to finally reach 3 million sold!)

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I feel like instead of making this they should have done it like Tales of Vesperia's update and re-release - add the new character into the story (Patty), make one of the previously unplayable characters playable (Flynn), and then expand the story of the base game. Like Persona 5 Royal as well now that I think about it.
Hmn idk,don't think ToA needed nazamil incorporated into the previous plot(notice she is not even playable, she is a plot character)or needs an extensive reworking ,no character either i thought that should have been made playable (unless maybe one of the antagonists)its fine as it is

rather than reworking the whole game,seems that Namco just wanted to expand on the plot so they can resell it with dlc they should be working on the next game by now

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So apparently your stats do *not* carry over to the DLC, even though its set post-game ?

Kinda bull-shit if you ask me.

Gonna wait till this goes on a discount, hopefully. Way too many other games right now.

Astral Dog

on the final dungeon, its actually more 'epic' than the one in the main story
So apparently your stats do *not* carry over to the DLC, even though its set post-game ?

Kinda bull-shit if you ask me.

Gonna wait till this goes on a discount, hopefully. Way too many other games right now.
They carry over,well im not sure how it works exactly since the characters started with zero equipment,but many skills/Arts are unlocked and you start on advanced level, there are things like Gold they give you if you have saved data, you continue to craft stronger weapons and find armor like always

I didn't have any issues continuing

Last edited:

adamsapple

Was hoping this would go on sale.

$29.99 is way too high for DLC.

Gonna wait till this is around $15.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Tales of Arise Producer Yusuke Tomizawa confirmed that the title will not feature any post-release DLC story content. This information was shared through a Tales of Arise broadcast held on July 29, 2021. Additionally, Tomizawa mentioned that Tales of Arise will release as a complete experience and will not inspire a sequel or prequel. The game will also not be linked to any Tales of titles.

However, there will be Tales of Arise content in the mobile Tales of titles. This will strictly be crossover content and will not be related to the core story of Tales of Arise. Specifics regarding potential crossovers were not mentioned or elaborated on during the broadcast. The question regarding any future story related DLC content for Tales of Arise appeared during the tail end of the presentation. Tomizawa was frank in answering, stating that Tales of Arise will remain a stand-alone title with no sequel.

I love it when companies lie.

Drunk That 70S Show GIF by Peacock

adamsapple

I am in the camp that liked Arise a lot but this sounds way too expensive for a DLC that doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table.

If you see any deals on this, please share it here. I will do the same.

Astral Dog

I love it when companies lie.

Drunk That 70S Show GIF by Peacock
Maybe it wasn't really planned until the game released? Capcom supposedly didn't plan any DLC for RE Village either,(since they had a busy schedule) but they fit in something between other projects ,DLC is something pretty common these days, between announcements of big sequels

Whats different from other DLC is they announced this out of nowhere, unlike Elden Ring and REVillage for example, they are announced months,even years in advance so the fanboys know they are working on it even without news, ToA just got dropped without any 'hype'

Anyways its not a big deal, its more of the same if you like the characters i recommend it i heard fanboys were complaining the main game was 'short' so here it is.If you don't care about it, its not essential either, the main game was complete as it is.

Top Bottom