• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise |OT| Back in Our Good Graces

Celcius

°Temp. member
Here are my thoughts on the Beyond the Dawn DLC expansion:

Took me like 13.5 hours and that’s doing all the important side quests as well. I’m currently lv 93 and it started me off at lv 65.

There was SO. MUCH. TALKING. Also, the bosses (especially the final boss) were super tanky / spongy and had waaaaay too much health imho. There was no reason for the final dungeon in a short expansion to be that huge/long. Except for the new character and final boss, ALL bosses and enemies are just reskins of existing ones from the main game. No new moves or skills for characters. The game STILL has that bug were if you use resurrection or revitalize with Shione then those two voice lines are swapped and she says the wrong one. Also, I can use my DLC costumes but for some reason I can’t seem to use my DLC weapon skins like I can in the main game. There are a few dungeons but they all have the same look, and otherwise you’re traveling around the same world except with some areas now inaccessible. The plot is a little unbelievable as well - how is a child putting these masks on people all over the world?

On the plus side, the new character is cool and it was nice spending time with the cast again. The new battle music is fire as usual. Game still runs and looks great. You also get more insight into what happened after the end of the main game and how everyone is doing.

I was hoping the Nazamil would be playable at some point but I guess not.

Last edited:
So, uh, anyone know why they changed their mind?

Anyway, I just started up this game again. My save file from 2021 is 40 hours in, but I didn’t finish. I completed Ys VIII recently and have been, without satisfaction, trying various games in hopes of filling the void after that amazing experience. I finally settled on Tales of Symphonia. A few days in, I suddenly remembered that Arise existed.

So, I started up a new game. I remember hating the boss fights, but at least the rest of the game is fantastic. Let’s see how I feel this time around.

Just defeated the second lord. It reminded me just how awful the boss battles are in this game. I’ve played four other Tales games and these are the worst. Hell, these may be the worst boss fights in any game I’ve ever played.

It’s a combination of the almost complete lack of AI for the companions and the insane HP of the boss. You need half a dozen life bottles just to revive the AI repeatedly. I just played Tales of Symphonia last week and the AI is perfectly fine there. We are now 20 years after Symphonia, with worse AI somehow.

The bosses also needs their HP cut in half. I don’t know what numbskull decided to make bosses staggerproof and have 100x the HP of a normal enemy. On the way to the boss, enemies die in seconds and Shionne is asking why we even bother. Then we hit the boss and it’s a 10 minute ordeal.

The giant Zeulgle battles are perfect: challenging but fair.

Yamisan

I loved the main game but refused to pay the full price for the DLC. I'm a little surprised it hasn't been on sale yet.

Mitsurux

LTTP - Finally completed the game took a little over 40 hours. Really enjoyed the main characters and story. But man that last Dungeon (Area) was a slog, about half way through it i just avoided as many battles as i could.
Despite having the best weapons i could craft and being a close level to most enemies it always felt like i just had to widdle away at their health.
But over all I enjoyed the game.

Top Bottom