• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise - Public Demo live in NZ now (PS5 Gameplay)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Best Tales experiences I’ve had were playing co-op with my (then) GF through Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia. We were constantly making fun of all the dumb shit the characters would say.

Really helped me avoid that “it’s shameful and pathetic for a grown non-virgin adult to play this shit” that I usually feel when I play Tales games.

Best Tales experiences I’ve had were playing co-op with my (then) GF through Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia. We were constantly making fun of all the dumb shit the characters would say.

Really helped me avoid that “it’s shameful and pathetic for a grown non-virgin adult to play this shit” that I usually feel when I play Tales games.
Hey man, enjoy what makes you happy without worrying what other people will think. :)

saintjules

Was able to play the demo on the Series X. Seems it works for the US.

Demo just gives us a section to play in a semi-wide linear area. It was good to get a feel for the combat. Felt pretty good for the most part, though I'd probably remap the buttons if you're used to using X for normal attacks. Played in performance mode and it was wondrous. No drops or anything. Graphically it felt quite similar to resolution mode.

Reactions: Isa

fallingdove

Well those games are 2D so Arise is going be similar to 3D Tales games, your expectation is unrealistic.

???? Aren't you contradict yourself here? Your complaining that Tales are not changing enough and yet you are asking to make more like old school Tales games.

You are not making any sense to me.

I don't see the contradiction. My claim is that the last 13 titles over the past 20 years have been overly formulaic.

Tired of the formula; was hoping that the Tales team would try something slightly different this time around. Phantasia/Destiny are slightly different, weren't overly serious, had their goofiness but weren't copy/paste jobs.

fallingdove

Nice reply. You proved my point. Try again child.
Riiiight, I proved your point that, what, I am a child? That I am not a fan of JRPGs? I think your undersized anime shirt has cut off the blood supply to your brain. You are resorting to some bizarre, circular, twitter logic.

KàIRóS

I've been glued to my couch playing this since morning, someone help me please, all the characters are so much fun to play as, the mage can combine her spells to make new magic, I can't stop experimenting, combat is so good.

Klayzer

I've been glued to my couch playing this since morning, someone help me please, all the characters are so much fun to play as, the mage can combine her spells to make new magic, I can't stop experimenting, combat is so good.
Feels the same to me as well. Having a great time with Kisara, love her playstyle. It looks amazing on the PS5. This is the Tales game ive been wanting to play.

Seriously, I like Tales series and expect this be Tales game, not entirely different game.....and it gonna be same with SMT5, I expecting and wanting to be SMT, not something else.
Expecting better writing than anime from 15 years ago in a long running game franchise?

how dare you GIF

No seriously, you're telling me that if they were able to write better dialogue and story it wouldnt be the same game?

Come on man, even the original FMA run from a decade ago had better dialogue than the abundant of horrid anime dweeb writing prevalent in JRPG's in modern gaming.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Expecting better writing than anime from 15 years ago in a long running game franchise?

how dare you GIF

No seriously, you're telling me that if they were able to write better dialogue and story it wouldnt be the same game?

Come on man, even the original FMA run from a decade ago had better dialogue than the abundant of horrid anime dweeb writing prevalent in JRPG's in modern gaming.
If you don't like how Tales games tell their story then skip them. 🤷‍♂️

Also FMA is fantastic franchise I don't expect most games both western or Japanese match story telling for that series.

Last edited:
If you don't like how Tales games tell their story then skip them. 🤷‍♂️
You're not understanding.

My question is, what's wrong if a (really) long running franchise decided to grow with their audience and change the tone and mood to reflect that?

It's the same with KH3, where as a huge fan of the franchise as a kid, coming back to KH3 as an adult was hard to swallow with how awful and stale the writing had stayed throughout the decade.

Same could be said for the original FF7 and the remake, where some dialogues are tweaked to sound better in tone and delivery (and even grammar).

The Tales series is great for what it is, don't get me wrong.

I just dont understand the aversion the fanbase has over it make some changes - besides graphics and gameplay - to help push it's own envelope further.

Danjin44

just dont understand the aversion the fanbase has over it make some changes - besides graphics and gameplay - to help push it's own envelope further.
I like Tales's story for what it is personally, I don't go to that series for Nier or 13 Sentinels level story telling, I go to that series for fun combat and fun characters.

supernova8

Banned
Seems cool! But... Lots of black screens eh...

Hopefully they will speed them up on the launch!

Also, I was hoping that they would tone down the screaming... Multiple characters screaming their magical incantations at the same time was always an annoying part from Tales of... And apparently still is.

Yeah I don't usually play these games but that was the first thing that stood out for me. Everything else seemed fine though.

Artistically the game looks lovely on the PS5, having just played the demo, but technically it's a bit disappointing for an Unreal Engine 4 game with lots of very noticeable pop in of grass, which has a very short draw distance. I found it quite distracting even though I wasn't intentionally looking for it. Once I saw it then it was hard not to look for it.

This was on Framerate mode but switching to Resolution mode doesn't do much to improve it, if at all, and the framerate drops from 60 fps to 30 fps which feels jarring (edit: the latter is actually unlocked and runs at a stuttery 45 fps on average, which is even worse since the PS5 lacks support for VRR). Also, aren't we past loading small overworld areas and combat arenas by now? I know this is a cross-gen game but, come on, it surely wouldn't be that difficult to add larger play areas and seamless combat on the more powerful systems with more memory?

If I buy this then it'll be for PC as UE4 is extremely easy to tweak on that platform, improving LOD, shadow, tree and foliage draw distances with little to no performance impact. I expected more from the PS5 version personally; it basically looks and runs how I would have expected it to on my old PS4 Pro.

Combat is pretty awesome though and it does look lovely in HDR when all the pyrotechnics are happening on screen. By the way, the opening post mentions the game has no HDR but I have my PS5 set to Auto HDR so that non-HDR PS4 games run in SDR but on loading Arise I see the HDR logo pop up in the top right corner on my LG B9 OLED TV.

Last edited:

Larxia

This game has a really weird, bad "cell shading" filtering, the lines are too pronounced, it looks like if you pushed the sharpening to the extreme, the picture looks dirty, not clean.
I really don't like when games do this kind of stuff, it's like if you just created a very lame reshade profile to give an "anime" look to a regular game, instead of putting actual effort in creating a real anime art direction. It gives the game a cheap vibe, because it just looks like a regular game with post process filtering, instead of a real thing.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Just set the voices to Japanese, those battle cries are less annoying when you don't know what they are saying (at least for me that's how it works).

Danjin44

I finally got chance play the demo and I LOOOOOOVE the visuals, I like they went with water color look, I personally really like that, the combat fun, so much so that consistently trying fight every enemy on the field.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

This is pretty good. It does seem Arise has HDR, the visuals really shine. The pop in is jarring but its a lower budget game. I don't really mind. The gameplay is fine, the battles are frantic. It seems you can't issue commands to your teammates but just call them in for attacks. It seems its more straightforward.

But yeah between this and Lost Judgment it seems the Japan streak continues. I'll be playing these for the coming months.

Kimahri

Banned
My problem is mainly the dialogue. So they changed up the visual style finally (and indeed, it looks great), but the script and acting is straight out of a kiddie cartoon. Why not evolve that too a little? Try to make the voices fit the character just a little bit?

I don't know if this is the fault of the devs, or the localization team that doesn't seem to understand what game they're localizing, but it has me worried.

I am so done with sqeaky bullshit voices. God damn.

Zathalus

If you are an owner of both consoles and a VRR capable display then the Series X is the version to get. Quality mode is averaging around 50FPS (close to 60FPS during combat) and is perfectly playable with a VRR display. Unfortunately Quality mode is basically a no go for PS5 at the moment.

I haven't played a Tales game since Symphonia on GameCube. I was hoping that this game might catch my fancy but I could tell I would be bored within 5 minutes of watching the demo being played in the video.

I can clearly see that the graphics are beautiful and the characters are rendered flawlessly. Maybe I'm just old now (gawd it's been nearly 20 years since that game I am definitely old) and I just find zero appeal in playing this kind of game anymore. Granted I find most games pretty boring these days unfortunately, often I wish it wasn't so, I really really want a new huge RPG to suck me in... looks like the new Tales won't be it for me.

Can anyone tell me if the full game will be fully voice acted? I don't know whether I think the way they've done it in this game to be acceptable or not. Should we expect developers to have fully voice acted games these days? I don't know maybe I just want more than is truly feasible for a developer of such potentially long games... *shrugs* to me though that kind of reading text while the characters sigh single words couldn't be more irritating the way they did it.

Zelda BOTW was borderline on that for me but at least the characters didn't speak any words they just make noises.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy (even if it sounds like it) I truly wanted to like this game. I want to like any new game so badly right now, but it just makes me feel sad how quickly I got that bored.

Last edited:
After running through the demo on my Series X I still plan on buying it. Combat is cool, and I was glad to see how aggressive the AI Controlled team members were...but that also presented a little bit of a problem because the AI Controlled party members just kept whipping the enemies ass before I could really do much lol

I would be doing a few attacks on an enemy and my teammates would knock them away, juggle them, take them to the other side of the battle space and I'd feel left out. I definitely watched a few of the battles more than I played lol

[Sigma]

Played for almost an hour. The combat is fun which is the most important part for me. Visually it's ok but the pop ins are noticeable for sure when traversing. Overall(y)

Dynasty8

My problem is mainly the dialogue. So they changed up the visual style finally (and indeed, it looks great), but the script and acting is straight out of a kiddie cartoon. Why not evolve that too a little? Try to make the voices fit the character just a little bit?

I don't know if this is the fault of the devs, or the localization team that doesn't seem to understand what game they're localizing, but it has me worried.

I am so done with sqeaky bullshit voices. God damn.

Agreed. I try to ignore it, but I just can't. Instant turn off for me. Unfortunate too because the game looks awesome.

jeffyjaixx

Day 1 for me on the PS5. Will be playing on the 60fps mode. I can barely notice the resolution increase during gameplay and definitely less responsive. Also noticed the pop in but to be expected with it being released also on last gen and on so many platforms. Can't wait!

drganon

Just played the demo. I was planning on getting this anyway, but the demo has filled me with confidence that its going to be another good entry in the series.

SkylineRKR

I just found out you can change playable characters mid battle, lol. You can also tag in the 2 reserves, and use their D-pad special moves via L2 anyway. I beat the Mantis, he was kind of tough.

I assigned healing artes to that caster, but I couldn't activate it. Dunno that part yet, aside from hoping the AI will heal me or I chuck items from the inventory. I also made some accessories from minerals, those boost your stats fairly well. I like that kind of shit as long as its not too grindy.

This is def. a good game.

Last edited:

jeffyjaixx

I just found out you can change playable characters mid battle, lol. You can also tag in the 2 reserves, and use their D-pad special moves via L2 anyway. I beat the Mantis, he was kind of tough.

I assigned healing artes to that caster, but I couldn't activate it. Dunno that part yet, aside from hoping the AI will heal me or I chuck items from the inventory. I also made some accessories from minerals, those boost your stats fairly well. I like that kind of shit as long as its not too grindy.

This is def. a good game.

How do you change characters during battle? I only found out how to change enemy targets.

SkylineRKR

How do you change characters during battle? I only found out how to change enemy targets.

hold D-pad. You see the portrait fill up. For the reserves, hold L2+D-pad. If you release too early they do their special. I haven't seen this being explained in the game. Not entirely sure though.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Whats most surprising to me was how well this ran on the base PS4. I was expecting a laggy experience but it turned out pretty decent. The graphics are really nice, combat is exciting and I like the character/enemy designs so far. I like my JRPG's super flashy with the special moves and this did not disappoint. Most likely a day 1 for me.

I'm... really tempted to get it on Steam, but not at the current price. I'll wait for a nice discount, this should leave me time to finally play Symphonia, Zestiria and Berseria, that I bought for 15 bucks years ago and never even installed (played Symphonia for hundreds of hours on the GC back in the day though), and complete Vesperia (bought it on Switch day one, played for maybe 20 hours then other games took my attention... guess I should start it from scratch). Maybe by then they'll even port Graces F on Steam? >.<

With how good Arise looks though, I can't wait to see how Indignation will look in this!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Demo was very short, Game seems to borrow alot fo FF15 and DQ11. Which are not bad things... I am not quite likeing the battle system but there is an auto battle option which I always love for these types of rpgs.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I couldn't see the option for graphic modes 🤔

Top Bottom